What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 NJ CB Yuri Wright (Signed to Colorado)

The quotes in that article just illustrate the divide between today's youth and some members of an older, more conservative generation who are feeling overwhelmed by today's social media. It's one thing to tell the kid to stop writing sexually explicit material, but quite another to demand he stop using Twitter altogether. Social media isn't inherently evil, and whether this Toal guy likes it or not, it's not going away any time soon. Yuri is in hot water for what he wrote, not for being on twitter in the first place.

Agreed... had he been tweeting bible quotes he would probably be just fine with twitter. All we see are bits and pieces of the story, but I would speculate that the guidance he was given was to cease with the sexually explicit material and when that didn't stop, was told to put it away completely. I still stand by my point that it was HIS decision to ignore the guidance he was given, therefore it is HIS fault he is in this problem.

I don't see this as some generational issue. He represeted Don Bosco. Don Bosco obviously didn't like the way he represented the school. Perhaps he will be a Buff one day... hopefully he represents the university the way CU wants to be represented.

Agreed... had he been tweeting bible quotes he would probably be just fine with twitter. All we see are bits and pieces of the story, but I would speculate that the guidance he was given was to cease with the sexually explicit material and when that didn't stop, was told to put it away completely. I still stand by my point that it was HIS decision to ignore the guidance he was given, therefore it is HIS fault he is in this problem.

I don't see this as some generational issue. He represeted Don Bosco. Don Bosco obviously didn't like the way he represented the school. Perhaps he will be a Buff one day... hopefully he represents the university the way CU wants to be represented.

Come on, OU. If he had been tweeting Bible verses, all we'd hear is how bad of a QB he is....

Many of us have strong opinions on this topic for various reasons (prepare for my tome).

First, I want to point out that I'm not taking a side on the issue of should/should not Yuri continue to be recruited, I'm just showing that there is some legitimacy in a lot of points that have been made, and giving my opinion on some of them.

- We don't have a 4 or 5 star commit at this point, and this bugs many CU faithful. With us being among Yuri's top schools, this topic brings even more things to the surface, as it has the potential to increase the likelihood that we can land Yuri.

- CU has had scandal issues in the past, and while I don't think this would constitute a scandal at a college, there are the jerk writers who will make it out to be just that. This being said, I understand the apprehension that some CU fans have if CU was to get Yuri to commit.

- There is an age/cultural divide among adults and kids nowadays. However, there has ALWAYS been such a divide. The big difference is that social media has made the divide more apparent and the quick hitting "journalism" of today makes issues hit the headlines instantly, rather than having to wait for the next day's paper.

- A private school absolutely has the right to expel a student for behavior that may violate the school's policies or code of conduct. Just as a private school can refuse admission to anyone, they can also kick out anyone they want to, as there are many ways to legally defend a decision to do so. This being said, Yuri absolutely has the right to complete his education at the local public school. While such tweets would have probably gotten him called down to the dean's/principal's office, unless they could prove they were done during school hours or specific individuals at the school were named in the tweets, disciplinary action would not have been likely.

- Any school/coach has the right to decide that this issue was the tipping point for whether or not they pursue Yuri to come to their school. Who knows exactly what these coaches/schools were already thinking? They may have been split on the issue, and this was just the tipping point that caused them to decide that they no longer wanted to pursue this student athlete.

- Any school/coach has the right to decide that this issue was one of a teenage boy being a teenage boy, and not let it decide whether or not they are interested in Yuri coming to their school. In fact, some might see this as a chance to show that their school's environment is the perfect place for Yuri to spend his years growing into an adult. College admissions have long denied admissions to students based on inappropriate myspace and facebook pages and photos. High school students are constantly reminded of this by teachers and counselors, but since this is a student-athlete who has had his recruitment impacted, it has become headline news in the college sports recruiting world. From what I've read, Yuri was warned about this type of behavior.

- While someone may have felt it was important to make the tweets public, this was a d-bag move, and hopefully Yuri takes this as a learning experience for who he should "befriend" in the future.

- I don't know what Coach Embree is thinking, but I am level-headed enough to know that there isn't necessarily a right or wrong response as to whether or not CU continues to pursue Yuri. There will be some backlash either way, and I know that JE knows this. This is one of those tough decisions that must be made as a head coach, as he must weigh all the options and what impact each will have. It could turn out to be a moot point if Yuri decides he doesn't want to attend CU, but it's a choice that JE must make now. Who knows, support shown to Yuri during this time could result in a lifelong endearment to CU.

- I hope Yuri learns from this, and I wish him the best. If he wants to come to CU and JE decides that he wants him, I will welcome him with great enthusiasm. If JE decides that he is no longer interested in recruiting Yuri, I completely understand, and will fully support that.

- I just want people to realize that there isn't necessarily a right answer to this issue. Yuri made some bad choices (what to tweet, who to friend), but this wasn't a crime that was committed. I'm sure things will work out for him and I truly wish him the best with his recruitment and earning his high school diploma.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with Yuri is that he did something that the coach told (him or all the players) not to do.

Sounds like someone else I know who was just as defiant at that age.

Leave the 'tude on the Jersey shore, Yuri, and come on out to Boulder. You'll get the chance to face meatchicken in a Rose Bowl real soon. You can exact payback on the field.

Simple solution: make Tini and JRK his online media coaches.

Jmho but not taking him because of his tweets is crap. Know that my opinion is the type where I could give a rat's ass what the public thinks but thats me. Main reason Id be more than comfortable with Yuri coming in is Embree could handle this bs with ease. He could get him on the right track and teach him that stepping on your own penis these days,his tweets, means the whole damn country becomes an expert about what kind of person you are. Give me a break. Come to CU Yuri.

Come on, OU. If he had been tweeting Bible verses, all we'd hear is how bad of a QB he is....

Imagine if he'd tweeted some Bible verses out of context like he did Lil Wayne lyrics.

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet."

"Wives should be subordinate to their husbands"

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence"

Etc., etc.

Man, this is a tough deal. Personally, I believe in second chances. I believe the kid was playing the comedian and thought he was being funny. On the other hand, this thing has gone national. That "clone," the Jim Rome wannabe, that total moron, nevertheless represents an opinion that still lingers out there. That is, that CU is some kind of rogue program that eschews academics and sells sex. Embree is in a tough position. I'd bet that Bohn, having lived through the scandal and still sensitive about the reprocussions, will "advise" Embree not to pursue him.

The only hope is that the kid makes some sort of convincing public apology. I'm not sure if even that would do it. And, again, I believe the kid should be forgiven.

Imagine if he'd tweeted some Bible verses out of context like he did Lil Wayne lyrics.

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet."

Etc., etc.
Isn't that the third verse of "99 Problems"?

The only issue I have with Yuri is that he did something that the coach told (him or all the players) not to do.

Sounds like someone else I know who was just as defiant at that age.

Leave the 'tude on the Jersey shore, Yuri, and come on out to Boulder. You'll get the chance to face meatchicken in a Rose Bowl real soon. You can exact payback on the field.

According to the coach. Most of those tweets were from back in July. No action was taken until they were publicized by the media and Don Bosco's championship football season was over. They're not standing on principle here. They're covering their asses.

Etc., etc.

I was just kidding, but you are right that the Bible is full of verses that if taken out of context are bizarre/offensive. Heck, some are that way, taken IN context!

According to the coach. Most of those tweets were from back in July. No action was taken until they were publicized by the media and Don Bosco's championship football season was over. They're not standing on principle here. They're covering their asses.

Way to stand on principle, even if you have to wait until you have your trophy.

I don't see what the big deal is? If Yuri had been suspended before the season it wouldn't have been fair to the other kids on the team who worked so hard all season to earn that championship.

-Jim Tressel

I would hope that CU and Embo stand by the offer. I read the tweets and this whole thing is beyond ridiculous. Stand by him, talk to the family (especially mom) and let them know you understand the kids and will help and guide him to being a man.

Well, the pros and cons of signing him seem to be about 50/50. I'll leave it up to the young man and the staff and embrace him if he becomes a Buff and wish him the best if not.

Well, the pros and cons of signing him seem to be about 50/50. I'll leave it up to the young man and the staff and embrace him if he becomes a Buff and wish him the best if not.

I'm not seeing it that way. I think it's more like 80/20 in favor of signing the kid.

I'm not seeing it that way. I think it's more like 80/20 in favor of signing the kid.

Agree with this. There may be some risk but it isn't like the kid has done something illegal. He's not out beating people up or being violent against women, we don't even have any indication that he is partying in excess or similar stuff.

He's a teenager using bad judgement on twitter, not exactly a reason to panic.

I'm thinking there is some recent precedent here. We took PRich after UCLA dumped him for an off-the field issue before playing for UCLA. Most of us think PRich is going to turn out just fine. Why not give Wright his second chance and show how our staff is able to get kids back on track, like with PRich and maybe even TClem too (he didn't really have a scandal but was underperforming, etc.).

Can someone help me out here. If he is expelled from school, how is he going to meet the graduation requirements to move on to the next level?

The fact this is still being talked about is stupid. Who cares!!!!? It's jot a big deal. Blown way out proportion.

I know when to not use language, like around kids or my elders but casual talk I'll say whatever the **** I want.

There is a difference between using foul language (ie, ****, ****, ****sucker, etc) and being a racist, sexist animal......

Tini, please stop begging for attention at every opportunity. I am actually trying to read some of these threads.

(Not being a smartass either)

Back