What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO ATH Ryan Moeller (Committed to Colorado - PWO)

I love the fact that he is a Colorado kid.

I don't understand the recruiting process as well as many of you, but regardless how this kid may develop at the college level, would he EVER have had a chance to be a highly ranked recruit? What recruiting services spend time on the western slope? any film on him would be discounted due to the competition. There would not be the same assumptions made of starters at his school that would be made of starters at Mater Dei or De La Salle. Personally, I think that the staff should use the evaluation of in state kids to their advantage and if you are going to take a flier, let it be a Colorado kid.

I am not excusing the recruiting of highly ranked recruits, we must do better, but I do acknowledge that they don't all work out either.

Austin Hinder, QB that ended up at Cal, was a 4* recruit that played at Steamboat Springs, which is in the same league as Rifle.

Austin Hinder, QB that ended up at Cal, was a 4* recruit that played at Steamboat Springs, which is in the same league as Rifle.

Some small school guys do get the recognition. Hindler was a different case because he was a QB. People tend to look at a RB or other positions and write them off due to the competition. QBs on the other hand they look at and say despite the competition he is making the throws, making the reads, etc. Bigger factor for Hindler was being seen at QB camps which gained him attention.

My only point is to say that if the ONLY reason we can land a better rated recruit is to promise them PT, then I don't want that player. I think that is Mike Mac's strategy as well and 100% agree with him.

When HCMM shows some good results on the field this year (how can it be worse?), he'll be able to catch the ear of some higher level '14 recruits.

If not, well then **** me.

I find it almost implausible that you agree with him if he agrees with you. Are you sure?

If he goes elsewhere, I'm going to blame this thread, and you unappreciative bastards.
I hear you. We do get a bit rowdy around here when it comes to evaluating recruits. I sometimes join in with the rest until they have accepted our offer. Then my rule is I will treat them as a good recruit until proven wrong on the field.

However, if he chooses to go somewhere else it could be because someone else offered a free ride scholly and if he gets PWO status at CU there are no such guarantees. Hard for a kid and his family to walk away from a free ride.

Evaluating small school guys is no easy task, but writing all of them off because they might not pan out is stupid and arrogant. There used to be a handful on the roster most every year - some panned out, some didn't. The last two coaches didn't bother. Two that I personally know are Mark Henry (who played 8-man) and Keith Miller (6-man), both started and contributed to very good teams - there a many others. Part of what makes some small town kids different is work-ethic and humility.

If a pwo eventually turns into a scholarship for this young man, great. If not, it's not like he's a huge gamble compared to the rest of this year's class.

Rashaan Salaam played 8 man.

Barry Helton was a QB in high school.

Barry Helton was a QB in HS but DBT is correct that he played small school football at Simla (don't remember the classification but it was a very small school.) He also played safety and of course punted for them as well as placekicked.

Helton being part of the Buffs was a source of pride for what seemed like almost of eastern Colorado. He was the small town kid who made it big and suddenly CU was "their" school.

Barry Helton was a QB in HS but DBT is correct that he played small school football at Simla (don't remember the classification but it was a very small school.) He also played safety and of course punted for them as well as placekicked.

Helton being part of the Buffs was a source of pride for what seemed like almost of eastern Colorado. He was the small town kid who made it big and suddenly CU was "their" school.

It was 8 man. Undefeated his high school carreer. I was a Soph his senior year, we lost two games th next year (including championship to Swink) and then we also went undefeated my senior year. Barry is a good guy.....held me against a locker but didn't kick my ass when I was trying to kick his ass for sleeping with my sister (four years older than me). Aparently I was more concened about her honor than she was.

It was 8 man. Undefeated his high school carreer. I was a Soph his senior year, we lost two games th next year (including championship to Swink) and then we also went undefeated my senior year. Barry is a good guy.....held me against a locker but didn't kick my ass when I was trying to kick his ass for sleeping with my sister (four years older than me). Aparently I was more concened about her honor than she was.
:rofl2:

He is the real deal. Not likely to take mutiple D2 and D1-FCS offers. He wants to walk on and play FBS football and will likely decide between CU and CSU in the coming days. He has always been a Buffs fan and that will have a big impact in his decision. CSU's staff did a much better job with showing interest and in communication with Ryan and his head coach.

I love Ryan Severson because he is a Buff, but having watched both films I just can't understand why Severson has an offer and Moeller does not. The pat answer is the level of competition, but even that looks to be fairly similar to me on both sets of films. Curious as to what others think. Maybe I have my hometown blinders on....

Ryan Moeller: https://vimeo.com/51167427
Ryan Severson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrkSMiWFWQ

He is the real deal. Not likely to take mutiple D2 and D1-FCS offers. He wants to walk on and play FBS football and will likely decide between CU and CSU in the coming days. He has always been a Buffs fan and that will have a big impact in his decision. CSU's staff did a much better job with showing interest and in communication with Ryan and his head coach.

I love Ryan Severson because he is a Buff, but having watched both films I just can't understand why Severson has an offer and Moeller does not. The pat answer is the level of competition, but even that looks to be fairly similar to me on both sets of films. Curious as to what others think. Maybe I have my hometown blinders on....

Severson has the speed to play defensive back in the Pac-12

As mentioned, Severson will play DB for us. Also, a lot probably has to do with our staff having a long-standing relationship with Severson. He plays high school ball with HCMM's son Jay (QB), so it's kind of a different situation. I give HCMM and his staff a lot of credit for quickly evaluating some CO prospects that hadn't been getting the attention they deserved and bringing them in at least for walk-on opportunities.

Thanks for posting! I hadn't seen film on Moeller yet. You hit the nail on the head by mentioning level of competition (isn't Rifle like 2A?) as a detractor which resulted in neither CSU or CU offering him. I'd love to see him play at CU. We need kids with lots of passion for the game in this program. He looks very talented to me and I can see him playing Safety for us. As a local kid, I'll be rooting for him to earn a scholarship and playing time at CU. hopefully!

Thanks for posting! I hadn't seen film on Moeller yet. You hit the nail on the head by mentioning level of competition (isn't Rifle like 2A?) as a detractor which resulted in neither CSU or CU offering him. I'd love to see him play at CU. We need kids with lots of passion for the game in this program. He looks very talented to me and I can see him playing Safety for us. As a local kid, I'll be rooting for him to earn a scholarship and playing time at CU. hopefully!

Rifle is a 3A program (#1 in the state most of the season). But yes, both programs probably dismissed him because of level of competition. It may very well have come down not to what they saw on tape, but on deciding it wasn't even worth watching the tape of someone at that level.

[tweet]299212701614358528[/tweet]

That's kind of the impression I got from BuffaloRifle's post yesterday.

If it comes down to PWO opportunities from CU and CSU, I have to think the fact that he has wanted to go to CU all along will win out...

I hope he becomes a Buff. Think he has an opportunity with this team to earn a scholly and be a contributor while going to the school he has preferred all along.

At the same time he has no specific time pressure here. It may be worth it to him to wait some time and see if something turns up. If CSU loses a couple guys out of their class (or a Wyoming, etc.)for some reason a scholly might open up for him. As much as we would take CU over CSU it would be hard to argue with going someplace else if it's paid for.

shame... Would like to see him at CU, but hard to believe no offers from some of our local Divl and ll schools? Or the Idaho's and Sac St. of college football

shame... Would like to see him at CU, but hard to believe no offers from some of our local Divl and ll schools? Or the Idaho's and Sac St. of college football

He's got several FCS & D2 offers. Wants to stay close to home and play FBS level football.

Buffnik: Severson ran a 4.46 at the Long Beach Nike Combine, so that's an electronic time. Legit.

He was the #5 SPARQ rating at the camp.

Moeller looks fast and has similar size. Not sure he's 4.46 fast. That's really fast.

Sweet.

Nice to see a focus on relationship building and finding a way to get local kids to boulder.

Back