What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO ATH Ryan Moeller (Committed to Colorado - PWO)

I think most of us assume that he will get at least a look at safety.

Looking at the depth chart that Nik has up on a different thread there weould certainly appear to be an opportunity for him at the position. It helps that he is already bigger and faster than the upperclassmen we have at the position.

According to his twitter he has been practicing as RB in 7ons. Obviously that could change once Fall comes around, but still interesting imo

Granted, they're not Pac 12 quality, but School of Mines and CSU-Pueblo are powerhouse DII programs. That's encouraging. Hopefully he flew under the radar in Rifle and has Pac 12 talent.

According to his twitter he has been practicing as RB in 7ons. Obviously that could change once Fall comes around, but still interesting imo

Might mean that he's adding to our depth at FB.

I like the idea of finding FBs through our walk-on program. The Nubs made a living at that for years in the old Big 8 days.

May be at RB now because that is where they need the body. It is also much easier to step in and participate at RB. To play at safety or most other postions would require that he have a better grasp on what they are trying to do overall.

Could very well end up at RB but I don't think his position is close to determined. He seems to be a good enough athlete to potentially contribute in a number of places.

I think you can also infer from the Mines offer that he doesn't lack ability upstairs either.

May be at RB now because that is where they need the body. It is also much easier to step in and participate at RB. To play at safety or most other postions would require that he have a better grasp on what they are trying to do overall.

Could very well end up at RB but I don't think his position is close to determined. He seems to be a good enough athlete to potentially contribute in a number of places.

I think you can also infer from the Mines offer that he doesn't lack ability upstairs either.

Safety from a numbers perspective is a bigger need than RB...

Safety from a numbers perspective is a bigger need than RB...

Agree, especially considering that if the posted numbers are right he is bigger and faster than the guys we are expecting to be playing this year.

Even for kids who are a long way from big cities and airports the major college coaches don't miss a lot of kids these days so we do have to remember that there is a reason he didn't get D1 offers.

With that in mind it would be big if he could develop into a starting quality player for us. With our recent difficulties in recruiting every guy who turns into a player for us is a win. It would also go a long ways in being able to sell Colorado kids on the idea that CU is the place to go to get a fair shot whether they are scholarshipped or recruited as PWOs.

Doing some research, this kid played like a total stud. He absolutely dominated 3A the last 2 years. He had 3000 rushing yards (11 ypc) and 50 TDs this season alone - 43 rushing TDs, 2 punt return TDs, 2 Int return TDs, 3 Receiving TDs. He reminds me of Orms. Given all of the "must get the best in-state talent" fervor here, I would think folks on this forum would be very excited to get him.
Based on this post, I sort of assumed he would get a look at RB first. Where else was everyone thinking?

Doesn't have the frame for it? I haven't seen him in person.

Not at this time. And I think we got a couple good options at FB.

My guess is they recruited him as an athlete, with his own preference being he wanted to try offense first and they will give him that shot.

Based on this post, I sort of assumed he would get a look at RB first. Where else was everyone thinking?

Safety. Probably a bit of that assumption is from racial stereotyping (bias against white RBs). And the other part of that is bias against walk-ons being able to play RB while we have seen some walk-ons like Sandersfeld play well for us at safety. Of course, Ford is a walk-on and he's arguably been our most effective RB on a per-carry basis the past few years.

I haven't seen him in person, but from what I have read, I was thinking either RB or S. My guess is he will RS, and then be a ST contributor, hopefully developing into a RB or S when he is an upperclassman. I like the pick up, no reason not to bring in local talent that maybe regarded as a steal down the road.

Problem with looking at his RB stats is that he was a man among boys in the league he played in, bigger, stronger, faster, quicker. He could simply run over, around, or past the kids who were trying to stop him. Being a college RB is a whole different story.

He was also a full time two-way player and got rave reviews on defense as well.

As 'Tini states our needs are more pronounced on defense. I wouldn't rule him out from ending up on either side of the ball. Really depends on team needs and what the coaches think once they get a chance to actually see him and work with him in camp. They can't do that now since kids contact with coaches is very limited in the summer.

Agree, especially considering that if the posted numbers are right he is bigger and faster than the guys we are expecting to be playing this year.

Even for kids who are a long way from big cities and airports the major college coaches don't miss a lot of kids so we do havethese days to remember that there is a reason he didn't get D1 offers.

With that in mind it would be big if he could develop into a starting quality player for us. With our recent difficulties in recruiting every guy who turns into a player for us is a win. It would also go a long ways in being able to sell Colorado kids on the idea that CU is the place to go to get a fair shot whether they are scholarshipped or recruited as PWOs.

a. he did get a D1 offer, Idaho State
b. I see no evidence that less guys are being missed "these days"

There's a long list of D1 studs and NFL guys who didn't play BCS football. Just ask our own Buffs of recent years how crappy Montana State, Eastern Washington, and Sacramento State's best players were.......

Talking to some people who saw him play in HS, the consensus seemed to be that he was more likely to end up at S than RB. He's a very upright runner, which would get him killed in the Pac-12. If that changed, maybe he plays RB - but my money is pretty strongly on S.

a. he did get a D1 offer, Idaho State
b. I see no evidence that less guys are being missed "these days"

There's a long list of D1 studs and NFL guys who didn't play BCS football. Just ask our own Buffs of recent years how crappy Montana State, Eastern Washington, and Sacramento State's best players were.......

I stand corrected although Idaho State is hard to classify as a D1 offer.

With the ability of schools and families to cheaply make and distribute game film if a player wants schools to be aware of him he can. Schools for their part have much bigger budgets and have the money to spend investigating players from outside of the areas they would have 20-30 years ago. Austin Hindler had multiple BCS coaches at most of his games leading up to his commitment despite being 5 hours from a significant airport.

Is it possible for kids to get overlooked, absolutely. There are also kids who are late developers both athletically and academically pushing them to FCS or low BCS level schools. At the same time it is fair to say that to count on being smarter than other schools or finding the guys who got overlooked is not going to get the job done.

A kid like Moeller would have been looked at by at least some major schools and there has to be a reason that nobody in a major conference offered. That reason may certainly be mistaken. Maybe it was due to the level of competition, maybe they didn't believe his given measurements and think he is limited athletically, who knows. I would love to see him prove them wrong and become a legit BCS level starter and contributor.

Back