What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO PG Josh Perkins (Verbal to Gonzaga)

'14 CO PG Josh Perkins

I'm probably in the minority but would rather see him go to UCLA or New Mexico then KU or Gonzaga.

I'd rather not see him at a conference opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Even with Dom's commitment (which I am ecstatic about), I'd like to see us still strongly pursue this kid, unless we think it's useless.

From a reliable poster elsewhere, that chapter is closed. I am very inclined to take his word on this.

I don't see how we can just give up on Perkins now, we all love Tad but if he goes to UK or KU it means he missed out. How can we be happy with seeing a top-50 talent from Colorado not coming here? I am pumped about Collier and have seen where the program could be ... but that doesn't mean I am going to be happy to see a potential 5-star recruit from Colorado go out of the state.

I don't see how we can just give up on Perkins now, we all love Tad but if he goes to UK or KU it means he missed out. How can we be happy with seeing a top-50 talent from Colorado not coming here? I am pumped about Collier and have seen where the program could be ... but that doesn't mean I am going to be happy to see a potential 5-star recruit from Colorado go out of the state.
Nobody will be happy to see Perkins go out of state, but this was always an either/or situation. I think the staff will keep trying to make it happen, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be scratched from Perkins list. Let's just be happy to get one of the two (2-3 years ago we probably would've watched both leave the state) and wish Josh well at whatever school is lucky enough to land his signature.

In our offense we can feature two highly skilled ball handlers and have them both succeed. Have to imagine wherever he would go outside of CU they've got a few Dom Colliers up their sleeve. I think CU is the perfect situation for Perkins.

In our offense we can feature two highly skilled ball handlers and have them both succeed. Have to imagine wherever he would go outside of CU they've got a few Dom Colliers up their sleeve. I think CU is the perfect situation for Perkins.

I think it has less to do with competition and more to do with being tired of the comparisons. Up until the last few months, it's been all about Dom Collier in the state of Colorado. Pretty obvious in Josh's comments recently that he sees slighted and not respected as much in Colorado as he is nationally. We can talk all we want about how he'd be a great fit still in Colorado, but it's not going to likely happen.

It's funny how recruiting works out as about a year ago it appeared the opposite might take place. I would have guessed it was Dom that was going to blow up and would be hard to keep at CU

Where we are in basketball is similar to our football team circa 1988. We're on the verge of title runs. To be a top instate recruit on the cusp of this happening at CU and then leaving could be a huge regret down the road.

Where we are in basketball is similar to our football team circa 1988. We're on the verge of title runs. To be a top instate recruit on the cusp of this happening at CU and then leaving could be a huge regret down the road.
It's not happening. The decision was made long ago that they wouldn't play college ball together. And if Josh ends up at Kentucky, I think he'll probably learn to live with his college choice (insert sarcasm font). Everybody really needs to let this one go now.

It's not happening. The decision was made long ago that they wouldn't play college ball together. And if Josh ends up at Kentucky, I think he'll probably learn to live with his college choice (insert sarcasm font). Everybody really needs to let this one go now.

Why? Because some 15/16 year old kids thought it up? If Tad is what we think is his, he'd convince them to play together. If he goes to Kansas or Kentucky there will be 3 or 4 Dom Collier level guards. How can we be satisfied with letting a highly regarded in-state prospect leave for a big-time school? I can't imagine a truly great college basketball coach letting someone like Perkins go from his own backyard.

'14 CO PG Josh Perkins

Why? Because some 15/16 year old kids thought it up? If Tad is what we think is his, he'd convince them to play together. If he goes to Kansas or Kentucky there will be 3 or 4 Dom Collier level guards. How can we be satisfied with letting a highly regarded in-state prospect leave for a big-time school? I can't imagine a truly great college basketball coach letting someone like Perkins go from his own backyard.

Maybe Tad doesn't like his style. Maybe he told them who ever commits first gets the guard spot in the class. Maybe Dom and Josh really don't like each other.

I honestly believe Perkins is just not that interested in CO. He's got his sights set on a bigger stage like KU or UK. As much as I hate Kentucky and Coach Cal, I would not blame Perkins if he went there. It's a good career decision for him. It's tough to let him go but let's not forget our NEEDS. We need a shooter and we need a big man. Not another PG.

Look, this isn't me speculating, nor is it something that any of us particularly want. Many people have said in many ways that this was an either/or situation, yet you've somehow convinced yourself this is a failure on Tad's part if he doesn't land both. You can be as upset as you want when Josh commits elsewhere, but I'm just happy as hell we were able to keep one of these guys home and am done with this thread. Roll Tad!!!!!

Look, this isn't me speculating, nor is it something that any of us particularly want. Many people have said in many ways that this was an either/or situation, yet you've somehow convinced yourself this is a failure on Tad's part if he doesn't land both. You can be as upset as you want when Josh commits elsewhere, but I'm just happy as hell we were able to keep one of these guys home and am done with this thread. Roll Tad!!!!!

:yeahthat:

If he goes to Kansas or Kentucky, the other "Dom Collier level guards" will leave after 1 year anyway. Kids want to be stars, win titles, be on TV, and go pro. Kansas and Kentucky can certainly sell that, so it's not hard to see why elite prospects are attracted to those schools.

And believe it or not, Perkins does have some say in where he goes to school so him leaving the state wouldn't be some terrible indictment of Tad's recruiting prowess, particularly since he landed a blue chip PG already.

If he goes to Kansas or Kentucky, the other "Dom Collier level guards" will leave after 1 year anyway. Kids want to be stars, win titles, be on TV, and go pro. Kansas and Kentucky can certainly sell that, so it's not hard to see why elite prospects are attracted to those schools.

And believe it or not, Perkins does have some say in where he goes to school so him leaving the state wouldn't be some terrible indictment of Tad's recruiting prowess, particularly since he landed a blue chip PG already.

I've always seen this reasoning used, mostly by players when discussing why they like certain schools. Technically, any school in the country could sell that if they got a bunch of top 25 players every year. It's a fallacy that playing at these blue blood schools makes you better or somehow gets you to the league easier. They are who they are because they get the top players in the country. It's not as if Calipari is taking a bunch of 3 star talents and molding them into NBA players. He's taking guys who, ten years ago, would never have stepped foot on a college campus because they'd have been in the NBA straight out of high school.

However, Calipari is also taking a lot of guys and (this year notwithstanding) turning mercinaries into a finely tuned defensive unit that plays with cohesion. There's a reason he's considered one of the best coaches in the game, and it's not because he's wearing a "UK" emblem on his shirt.

As for Perkins, sometimes kids don't want to stay home. Everything I've heard is that he and his family love Tad. They love CU. They love Dom. But he wants to go elsewhere and see what else the world has for him. It's nothing he did, it's nothing Tad did, it's nothing CU did. I respect him for that. I wish him nothing but the best wherever he goes unless he's playing CU.

I've always seen this reasoning used, mostly by players when discussing why they like certain schools. Technically, any school in the country could sell that if they got a bunch of top 25 players every year. It's a fallacy that playing at these blue blood schools makes you better or somehow gets you to the league easier. They are who they are because they get the top players in the country. It's not as if Calipari is taking a bunch of 3 star talents and molding them into NBA players. He's taking guys who, ten years ago, would never have stepped foot on a college campus because they'd have been in the NBA straight out of high school.

It's all self-fullfilling at those blue blood schools: they get great players, so they win a lot, so their kids go pro, so they are an attractive school for other great players... A kid like Perkins may believe he can be an elite player anywhere he goes and eventually get a shot in the NBA, but why not do it at an elite program and maybe win a title and play for one of the great coaches in the country today along the way?

Don't forget, these are teenagers and they have egos like a lot of teenagers do - being able to say you are getting a scholarship to play hoops at a school like Kentucky or Kansas has to be pretty cool. It's why elite QBs lined up to play at USC or why DLineman would be willing to sit for a couple years at Bama when they could have probably started from day 1 at half the BCS schools in the country.

However, Calipari is also taking a lot of guys and (this year notwithstanding) turning mercinaries into a finely tuned defensive unit that plays with cohesion. There's a reason he's considered one of the best coaches in the game, and it's not because he's wearing a "UK" emblem on his shirt.

As for Perkins, sometimes kids don't want to stay home. Everything I've heard is that he and his family love Tad. They love CU. They love Dom. But he wants to go elsewhere and see what else the world has for him. It's nothing he did, it's nothing Tad did, it's nothing CU did. I respect him for that. I wish him nothing but the best wherever he goes unless he's playing CU.

But but but, Tad boyle is a terrible human being if we lose Perkins!!! And Perkins is a complete idot for turning down the greatest coach / school combination to have ever been created! Fire Boyle, burn down the Keg, and key the car Perkins is getting from Kentucky if we don't land a recruit of this quality in Colorado!!!

'14 CO PG Josh Perkins

Good players want to play with good players. That's why 5*'s go to Kentucky for basketball and Alabama for football so no not every school can sell that otherwise the distribution would be spread out much more between schools. The two above can sell recruits based on their success and sending players in the 1st round of the draft every year, few teams can claim that.

Anyone else find it awfully...ummm...coincidental that Kentucky jumped in after Perkins pretty much immediately after Collier committed to the Buffs. Given Calipari has a pretty good relationship with Tad I'm wondering if they were laying off until CU's door shut with Perkins due to his preference to be the feature guard in his class. If that is the case maybe a wink and a nod from Tad to encourage Coach Cal to prevent Perkins from ending up at say UCLA?

I'm probably reading too much into it and its probably just a function of the timing of his recent AAU tourney performances, but I found the timing very interesting.

Anyone else find it awfully...ummm...coincidental that Kentucky jumped in after Perkins pretty much immediately after Collier committed to the Buffs. Given Calipari has a pretty good relationship with Tad I'm wondering if they were laying off until CU's door shut with Perkins due to his preference to be the feature guard in his class. If that is the case maybe a wink and a nod from Tad to encourage Coach Cal to prevent Perkins from ending up at say UCLA?

I'm probably reading too much into it and its probably just a function of the timing of his recent AAU tourney performances, but I found the timing very interesting.
Umm. Wow. No.

Good players want to play with good players. That's why 5*'s go to Kentucky for basketball and Alabama for football so no not every school can sell that otherwise the distribution would be spread out much more between schools. The two above can sell recruits based on their success and sending players in the 1st round of the draft every year, few teams can claim that.

But as I was saying, they have the success and the first rounders because the top kids all go there already. I'm saying any school could use this reasoning if they signed top 10 classes every year. It's self-fulfilling like the previous poster pointed out. Kansas wouldn't be Kansas without the top high school kids year after year after year.

Totally, Calipari has always been known as a classy and noble guy when it comes to recruiting. It's probably also why we didn't recruit Nerlens Noel after he committed to UK...it was out of mutual respect between Tad and Cal.

Back