What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 CA ATH Jay Jay Wilson (Verbal to Arizona State)

They only took 15 last year (they also took 4 early enrollees). So unless the NCAA says 15 is still the limit for last year (this is what I am not sure of) they can easily put 5 against last year's class. This seemed to be the USC loophole in the 15 scholarship limit per year.

• Shocked-Face-iStock_000014098163XSmall.jpg

SHOCK!!!

The NCAA leaving a loophole that a favored program could drive a truck through to minimize the impact of sanctions, nah that would never happen.

USC was cheating like an SEC school around the time of Bush and Mayo and the gang, why do people think Pete Carroll bailed out when he did. Thing is that USC is like a tOSU or a number of other schools that the NCAA wants to see being good because they generate lots of money. The rules are the same, just a question of how they enforce them.

Had we been coming of sanctions and tried this we would have gotten 3 extra years. Now that USC has done it they will pass a rule to control it for others, with of course a loophole in case another big name needs it.

I would say they were impacted - they only had about 50 scholarship players for most games last year which really hurt them. It is hard to find more than a handful of early enrollees especially when you don't tap into the JC market much.

Remember I do not know their situation for sure.

I would say they were impacted - they only had about 50 scholarship players for most games last year which really hurt them. It is hard to find more than a handful of early enrollees especially when you don't tap into the JC market much.

Remember I do not know their situation for sure.

Where it really hurt them is that they seemed to prioritize prospects who could enroll early, so USC may have been taking some guys who wouldn't have been their first choice if not for the sanctions.

I don't know how they only ended up with 50 guys ready to go on Saturdays this year. Probably a mix of redshirts and injuries. How much this hurt USC really depends on who the 50 guys were. NFL has a 53-man roster. Some conferences limit football travel rosters to 70. I think the larger issue than the raw number was probably how much they had to limit contact and injury risk during practices. When USC was at its best, Tuesday practices to win PT were a war.

Anyone arguing the Trojans were not significantly impacted by sanctions has not been paying attention. You could actually argue the NCAA went overboard on the sanctions.

Anyone arguing the Trojans were not significantly impacted by sanctions has not been paying attention. You could actually argue the NCAA went overboard on the sanctions.

The NCAA went way overboard. Especially considering that the investigation and ruling were driven by the guy who had been in charge at Miami during the booster yacht timeframe. Friggin' joke. The thing is, it was an open secret that USC was dirty... but the NCAA couldn't prove anything except for an issue with an agent that didn't convey a competitive advantage and could never be tied to anyone employed at USC dealing with him. NCAA went overboard to punish USC for the things it couldn't prove but strongly suspected.

I think the limit of 15? (or was it 20?) scholarships per year caught up to them with normal attrition along with how many of their guys always leave early for the NFL.

The NCAA went way overboard. Especially considering that the investigation and ruling were driven by the guy who had been in charge at Miami during the booster yacht timeframe. Friggin' joke. The thing is, it was an open secret that USC was dirty... but the NCAA couldn't prove anything except for an issue with an agent that didn't convey a competitive advantage and could never be tied to anyone employed at USC dealing with him. NCAA went overboard to punish USC for the things it couldn't prove but strongly suspected.
usc is extremely hateable. But it has been established that I am a bitter and jealous old man.

Would be the biggest get for HCMM and his staff, so far. What can they possibly do to sell him on coming to Boulder? Seriously.

[tweet]558439398283292672[/tweet]

[tweet]558439766136340482[/tweet]

[tweet]558442853408333824[/tweet]

Last edited:
I give, what is a blue shirt?

Invited walk-on with a handshake deal he'll get a scholarship down the road (even though you can't technically promise that).

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=10431213

The NCAA doesn't allow for schools to produce written promises of scholarships to walk-ons, but that doesn't stop a school from telling a prospect who walks on that an offer is coming after a certain point.

"There are a couple of different ways you can award a blueshirt scholarship," one Big 12 coach said. "We'll have some cases of a player arriving for the start of fall practices, and we'll then immediately put them on scholarship after the end of fall camp, then count the scholarship forward - against the 2015 class, for example - and announce them on the following signing day.

"The other way is if there's a player, and we know we'll have a scholarship coming open at a certain position. We tell them if you come as a freshman, pay your own way, a scholarship will come open at this point in time, and it's yours."

I give, what is a blue shirt?

Blue-shirting: This scheme was originated by New Mexico State but has not been practiced widely around the nation. Here’s how it works: Officially, a player arrives in the summer as a walk-on. Once football practice begins, he’s awarded a scholarship. The school is allowed to count the scholarship forward, but the player can play immediately.

There’s a big catch: The student-athlete may not have been recruited, as defined by NCAA bylaws. That means no official visit to campus, no in-home visits from coaches, no signed National Letter of Intent or athletic aid.
Only a handful of players, if any, would meet that criteria.

http://knoxblogs.com/evanseleven/2013/11/19/tom-luginbill-vols/

Blue-shirting: This scheme was originated by New Mexico State but has not been practiced widely around the nation. Here’s how it works: Officially, a player arrives in the summer as a walk-on. Once football practice begins, he’s awarded a scholarship. The school is allowed to count the scholarship forward, but the player can play immediately.

There’s a big catch: The student-athlete may not have been recruited, as defined by NCAA bylaws. That means no official visit to campus, no in-home visits from coaches, no signed National Letter of Intent or athletic aid.
Only a handful of players, if any, would meet that criteria.

http://knoxblogs.com/evanseleven/2013/11/19/tom-luginbill-vols/

That explains why he's not taking an OV to USC.

You want the long game, at least the staff is playing it with this one.
Definitely agree. But I mentioned ASU because they are offering him on offense. Might be worth a shot for the coaches to offer him a shot on offense.

USC is trying to finish up their class with 3 5*s from CA (among others), one of which is LB John Houston. If they don't get him, or the DL Rasheem Green (maybe they see Jay Jay as a DL?) he could get a last minute full offer.

What position is Jay Jay on Offense? RB? I don't see the downside of MM offering him as a 2 way ATH. Just make the sale; they need a player like him.

Big WR/TE. Co-offensive MVP in his district with top 100 WR Trent Irwin.

Perfect. Would fill the need of depth and talent at WR... Unless they want him to fill out more for LB and then he would be more of the TE type, which may be the bigger need anyway.

Is ASU offering as 2 way guy or just Offense?

Just offense. We have discussed it with Wilson about being as two-way player, but it seems more like comments in passing than anything else.

Back