What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 CO QB Blake Stenstrom (SIGNED to COLORADO)

Dominant performance by Blake in the Blue-Grey All American Bowl:

Blue spent most of the game in the lead thanks to a stellar Blake Stenstrom-Andre Ross connection. Stenstrom, who is signed to play quarterback at Colorado, found Ross for a pair of touchdowns and was consistently Blue's best offensive player. He found Ross from 46 yards out in the second quarter to help tie the game at 7-7 and then again from 20 yards out to give Blue their final score of the game with 12 minutes remaining in the fourth.

"Blake has all the tools you’re looking for in a quarterback," Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre said, per Kyle Fredrickson of the Denver Post. "He can make all the throws and he’s an extremely bright young man."

Stenstrom was 247Sports' top-rated quarterback in Colorado despite not having the full-time starter job in high school. Based on his performance Sunday, it's apparent his 3-star distinction undersold his talent level.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...wl-2018-score-recruit-highlights-and-reaction

Also of note is that Stenstrom made a great connection with unsigned 2018 WR Michael Horsford from Douglas Freeman HS in VA. I can't find a profile of him anywhere or that he has signed. Also plays some safety. hudl profile says he's 6'2" 190 and runs a 4.56 forty.

Good for Blake and the buffaloes! I hope that 3 star rating under sells his overall talent as well!

Last edited:
Most oddball recruiting I've seen in years. This kid seemingly has it all, you'd think he'd have had 30 offers. There may be folks with stronger arms, but I can say that about a lot of the better NFL QBs. Strong enough? Check. That video shows his ability to move within the pocket, see the field, throw on the move... Perhaps more importantly, shows advanced footwork and polish that you haven't seen in CU QB recruits in many years. He played great all season on a very good team.

I know this is a favorite Allbuffs pastime for our own recruits, but I wonder if he didn't flat out NOT talk to any recruiter no matter what after he committed. I find it hard to believe that there's 20 other Prostyle QBs who are better.

Most oddball recruiting I've seen in years. This kid seemingly has it all, you'd think he'd have had 30 offers. There may be folks with stronger arms, but I can say that about a lot of the better NFL QBs. Strong enough? Check. That video shows his ability to move within the pocket, see the field, throw on the move... Perhaps more importantly, shows advanced footwork and polish that you haven't seen in CU QB recruits in many years. He played great all season on a very good team.

I know this is a favorite Allbuffs pastime for our own recruits, but I wonder if he didn't flat out NOT talk to any recruiter no matter what after he committed. I find it hard to believe that there's 20 other Prostyle QBs who are better.
Highlights look pretty good, especially on his pocket movement and deep ball accuracy. However, they are just highlights mind you, so of course they aren't going to show the bad decisions, overthrows, underthrows, INTs, etc. One thing that concerns me a little bit when watching QB highlights is when just about every clip is a deep ball to a fairly wide open receiver, a jump ball play, or a scramble drill finding an open receiver. It's great to have those skills, but for a pro style/pocket passer, I wish these guys would post more clips of them completing routine slants, 10 yard out routes from the far hash, timing comeback routes, etc.

Highlights look pretty good, especially on his pocket movement and deep ball accuracy. However, they are just highlights mind you, so of course they aren't going to show the bad decisions, overthrows, underthrows, INTs, etc. One thing that concerns me a little bit when watching QB highlights is when just about every clip is a deep ball to a fairly wide open receiver, a jump ball play, or a scramble drill finding an open receiver. It's great to have those skills, but for a pro style/pocket passer, I wish these guys would post more clips of them completing routine slants, 10 yard out routes from the far hash, timing comeback routes, etc.
You mean we should wait and see?

It's all from one game though, which is why I lend more credence to it. It's not like he cherry picked from a season's worth of highlights to find the best 10 throws.

Also, how much was he affected by limited early playing time and sharing playing time even in his senior year?

I watched him play on TV at least 3 times the last two years and I didn't see a single thing to be concerned with.

On one hand, limited playing time is a detriment. But also, it showed he had to push and compete all the time. He had top QBs both above and below him, both with famous names. In many ways, that might be better experience than playing 4 years for "just another program".

Last edited:
I watched him play on TV at least 3 times the last two years and I didn't see a single thing to be concerned with.

On one hand, limited playing time is a detriment. But also, it showed he had to push and compete all the time. He had top QBs both above and below him, both with famous names. In may ways, that might be better experience than playing 4 years for "just another program".
For the record, I'm not saying I'm concerned about him at all. Clearly the staff liked him enough that they shut down their QB recruiting for 2018 for him, even though he was only a part time player. I'll defer to their judgement. All I was saying was I take highlight clips with a grain of salt. It's like Buffnik said the other day about RB highlights being concerning if they are just beating everyone to the edge and outrunning them. With QBs, a bunch of deep balls and 50/50 balls comprising the entire reel doesn't do much for me. It's nice to see the arm strength, but it doesn't show a QB's timing ability, accuracy, reading the defense, or ability to make the tougher throws. I look forward to seeing how Stenstrom develops at CU.

For the record, I'm not saying I'm concerned about him at all. Clearly the staff liked him enough that they shut down their QB recruiting for 2018 for him, even though he was only a part time player. I'll defer to their judgement. All I was saying was I take highlight clips with a grain of salt. It's like Buffnik said the other day about RB highlights being concerning if they are just beating everyone to the edge and outrunning them. With QBs, a bunch of deep balls and 50/50 balls comprising the entire reel doesn't do much for me. It's nice to see the arm strength, but it doesn't show a QB's timing ability, accuracy, reading the defense, or ability to make the tougher throws. I look forward to seeing how Stenstrom develops at CU.
One thing about that clip is that it wasn’t an accumulation of highlights cherry picked from random games throughout the season. They were highlights from a single All Star game in which he was the star of the All Stars. I also like that he threw to guys that were tightly covered, down field, and he put the ball on the money where only his guy would make the catch. Those throws were extremely impressive.

That video shows his ability to move within the pocket, see the field, throw on the move.

I also like that he threw to guys that were tightly covered, down field, and he put the ball on the money where only his guy would make the catch.

Both of these were great to see. That receiver, Ross, is pretty good too. Did I see that he isn't committed anywhere yet?

I saw every snap this year. He is the real deal (in my opinion). Not only the physical talent but a great head on his shoulders. The kind of guy you want your daughter to marry.

As the season progressed you could see his confidence grow. He is making plays now that at the beginning of the season he wasn’t seeing.

Last edited:
One thing about that clip is that it wasn’t an accumulation of highlights cherry picked from random games throughout the season. They were highlights from a single All Star game in which he was the star of the All Stars. I also like that he threw to guys that were tightly covered, down field, and he put the ball on the money where only his guy would make the catch. Those throws were extremely impressive.
I get it as it pertains to the Blue/Grey highlights. I've also watched his Senior Highlights and it's a lot of the same. Some very impressive throws for sure, but a lot of deep balls and scramble drill throws to wide open guys. Again, I'm not taking exception with Stenstrom or his abilities; I'm saying that I'd rather see clips of QBs completing some passes that of higher difficulty.

I saw every snap this year. He is the real deal (in my opinion). Not only the physical talent but a great head on his shoulders. The kind of guy you want your daughter to marry.

As the season progressed you could see his confidence grow. He is making plays now that at the beginning of the season he wasn’t seeing.
That's great to hear. I watched zero Valor games this year, so the only clips I have are from his highlights.

I get it as it pertains to the Blue/Grey highlights. I've also watched his Senior Highlights and it's a lot of the same. Some very impressive throws for sure, but a lot of deep balls and scramble drill throws to wide open guys. Again, I'm not taking exception with Stenstrom or his abilities; I'm saying that I'd rather see clips of QBs completing some passes that of higher difficulty.
You're just a Negative Nancy!!

I hear you, but if a HS QB is making a lot of back shoulder throws or jump ball throws to guys who are fairly well covered then he's probably not reading the field that well. In high school there is always someone very open if a QB goes through his progressions.

But to your point, what's considered "covered" in high school is "open" at the college level. Even more glaring how "covered" in college equals "open" in the NFL. Being able to make that jump with the tighter windows and ability to throw guys open is probably the biggest thing that determines if someone can be as effective in college as he was in high school.

Last edited:
I hear you, but if a HS QB is making a lot of back shoulder throws of jump ball throws to guys who are fairly well covered then he's probably not reading the field that well. In high school there is always someone very open if a QB goes through his progressions.

But to your point, what's considered "covered" in high school is "open" at the college level. Even more glaring how "covered" in college equals "open" in the NFL. Being able to make that jump with the tighter windows and ability to throw guys open is probably the biggest thing that determines if someone can be as effective in college as he was in high school.
I just remember (as do most I'm sure) how inaccurate/sporadic of a passer Sefo was and how up and down Montez was last year, particularly with his deep ball and his touch, and would like to see fewer high school highlights of a wide open 50 yard TD, along with fewer "off schedule" plays that resulted in a receiver adjusting and the QB finding him wide open. Those skill sets are nice to have for the <10 times a game when the opportunities present themselves, but I'd rather see uber accuracy on the routine routes and timing throws that is 80% of CU's passing offense.

Last edited:
Back