What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 CO QB Ty Evans (Signed to NC State)

Oh Matt Stephens is absolutely making this a front page of the sports section blurb. “New CU coach fails to make highly regarded in-state QB commitment a priority; Ty Evans flips commitment to NC State, once again highlighting CU’s lack of focus on Colorado Preps”.
Stephen's criticized both CU and CSU for not recruiting Loveland's QB!

I was always worried about the jump from Colorado 3a to the pac-12. I’m was also worried the regression in his senior season. I could be wrong and time will yell but I feel like this might be for the best.

Interesting how people read this differently. I see a talented player, with a sense of entitlement, asks a new HC who the staff will be, prior to the HC either knowing the end state or unwilling to share this information because he is in discussions and is not in position to share with a HS student at this time. A new coach, any coach for that matter, doesn't want it to get out who his top choice is, in case his top choice declines.
The privileged kid wanted his preference of a QB coach, felt the new coach owed him details, took his ball and went somewhere else.
The second time he has done this. He is talented, but played against mid-level (3A) schools. CU probably avoided a headache for the next 4 yrs. Montez, Lytle, Stenstrom - CU has solid QB's in the system for the next 4 yrs. There are bigger needs right now (OL, LB, CB, TE).
Dueces Evans!

Interesting how people read this differently. I see a talented player, with a sense of entitlement, asks a new HC who the staff will be, prior to the HC either knowing the end state or unwilling to share this information because he is in discussions and is not in position to share with a HS student at this time. A new coach, any coach for that matter, doesn't want it to get out who his top choice is, in case his top choice declines.
The privileged kid wanted his preference of a QB coach, felt the new coach owed him details, took his ball and went somewhere else.
The second time he has done this. He is talented, but played against mid-level (3A) schools. CU probably avoided a headache for the next 4 yrs. Montez, Lytle, Stenstrom - CU has solid QB's in the system for the next 4 yrs. There are bigger needs right now (OL, LB, CB, TE).
Dueces Evans!

I alluded to this some but I too got the same feeling from his comments. But I’ll leave it at that, I’m sure he’s a good kid. Best of luck to him.

Just had a nice twitter conversation with Ty's dad. It's a business decision on a very short timeline, basically. Enrolling in January. No time to build a relationship before signing day and not even knowing what the system will be or if Ty's really their guy for the new staff. It was a matter of going back to a relationship and system where they had comfort to make what they considered was the best/ safest decision they could for his future on a very short deadline.

I was high on Ty as a prospect, so I'm disappointed. I also think he could have waited a day or two to talk to the new OC, but I don't know for sure that NC State was going to give him that space or if he even wanted that space (maybe it just felt right to him & the family so after 2 staff changes yanking the rug out from him this year they wanted it to be over). Anyway, I'm not bitter. Nice kid. Nice family. We'll also move on and be just fine.

Another possible take as well.

Ty is a very good prospect as a throwing QB. He is though fairly slight and he got hurt from high school hits this year.

Jay Johnson may have looked at him and told Coach Tucker this kid is not a good fit for an offense that may have the QB running into LBs and safeties on a regular basis.

Coach Tucker then told him "Yes we will honor your scholarship but you may not like the offense we will eventually run." From there Evans calls NCSU and commits.

I will mark you down for being ecstatic when/if Tucker gets "his" QB, no matter who it is.
I was never convinced that Evans was all that. He seems highly trained, highly conditioned, yet lacks ideal size, arm strength and plus athleticism. Is he good? Sure.

The point being, it's not the end of the world. It's possible that MT wanted his scholarship back. Or not. But there is a subset of recruits that apparently MT hasn't made a huge priority. So you can choose:

1. MT is an awful recruiter
2. MT has other ideas.

Side bet?

Another possible take as well.

Ty is a very good prospect as a throwing QB. He is though fairly slight and he got hurt from high school hits this year.

Jay Johnson may have looked at him and told Coach Tucker this kid is not a good fit for an offense that may have the QB running into LBs and safeties on a regular basis.

Coach Tucker then told him "Yes we will honor your scholarship but you may not like the offense we will eventually run." From there Evans calls NCSU and commits.

tumblr_n5v6yoiXc41sbnhoho1_500.gif

Just had a nice twitter conversation with Ty's dad. It's a business decision on a very short timeline, basically. Enrolling in January. No time to build a relationship before signing day and not even knowing what the system will be or if Ty's really their guy for the new staff. It was a matter of going back to a relationship and system where they had comfort to make what they considered was the best/ safest decision they could for his future on a very short deadline.

I was high on Ty as a prospect, so I'm disappointed. I also think he could have waited a day or two to talk to the new OC, but I don't know for sure that NC State was going to give him that space or if he even wanted that space (maybe it just felt right to him & the family so after 2 staff changes yanking the rug out from him this year they wanted it to be over). Anyway, I'm not bitter. Nice kid. Nice family. We'll also move on and be just fine.

And a really great explanation/interview by Evans. Obviously a very bright and analytical
young man. Best of luck to him. I'm more psyched about Fairview's Atkinson, but overall I'm totally trusting in MT to identify and sign his guy, whoever that turns out to be.

I was never convinced that Evans was all that. He seems highly trained, highly conditioned, yet lacks ideal size, arm strength and plus athleticism. Is he good? Sure.

The point being, it's not the end of the world. It's possible that MT wanted his scholarship back. Or not. But there is a subset of recruits that apparently MT hasn't made a huge priority. So you can choose:

1. MT is an awful recruiter
2. MT has other ideas.

Side bet?
MT not wanting a 3* from a 3A Colorado school doesnt break my heart. If the kid wanted to be a Buff he would be. We dodged a bullet here.

So you are saying that incoming coaching staffs never tell an existing QB recruit that he isn't a fit for what they are planning to do.

Not an insult to the kid to politely tell him that he isn't their priority at QB and let him move on.

Didn't say this happened here but no it would not surprise me at all if it did.

Remember that when Tucker was at Georgia they evaluated Evans and didn't follow up with an offer when other SEC schools where offering.

I'm not concerned. Any true freshman QB we get in this cycle will not start for a couple of years. We have couple of very nice QB's on the roster ahead of him already in Lytle and Stenstrom (and Montez). I'm very comfortable that MT and his new OC (and even Chiv) can get themselves a better QB recruit when we show that we are turning this program around. So we lose a 3* QB recruit that wouldn't start until 2020-2021 (at the earliest) for a 4* at the end of 2019 who could be a future star in our "new" system, all because we got a new coach and direction.

Isn't this is what getting a new coach is all about?

I care more about filling the developmental pipeline with 4* OL and DL high school seniors as soon as possible.

Back