What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 TNFR QB Jalen Hurts (Committed to Oklahoma)

If you were gauging probabilities, does staying make it more or less likely that he finds himself (at some point) in an additional 4 games this season?
Leaving means he won’t get a degree in December. and will play one more year somewhere. I think that is a suboptimal decision. You see his comments during camp?

Leaving means he won’t get a degree in December. and will play one more year somewhere. I think that is a suboptimal decision. You see his comments during camp?

I did. Most schools who’d accept his transfer would very likely transfer 100% all of his credits.

It looks like we’re not going to find any common ground, so I’m bowing out. We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

This is the point I’ve been making about why Hurts shouldn’t stay. Somehow this translates into Hurts redshirting and Saban doing him a favor.
The reason I said wrong is that your being nonsensical. Perhaps others have answered it, I don't have the patience to read the rest of this thread. But school started on Aug 22.

Prior to Aug 22, Hurts had the option of staying or leaving.
If he left, he'd have had to sit a year (his RS year) and then have 2019/2020 to play.
If he stayed, he had the option to pre-negotiate with Saban that if he was not the starter, that he could use 2018 as his RS year, and in turn give Saban an experienced backup if he was needed. He could play in up to 4 games and retain his RS. Saban would probably like that as compared to Hurts just transferring before Aug 22. He could then transfer as a "grad transfer" with 2 to play 2.
If the #1 got hurt, Hurts could even end up playing a ton and leading 'Bama to a championship. He'd probably give up the RS for that.

After Aug 22, (i.e. today, the day of this bizarre argument), Hurt has no options to transfer during this semester. He could not play, nor could he receive a scholarship. And he would lose 2018, without redshirting. He'd be forced to attend Alabama in order to get his degree, the only way he could transfer without burning a year (he would have a RS, but why do that?)
This would leave him 1 to play. Suboptimal.

The reason I said wrong is that your being nonsensical. Perhaps others have answered it, I don't have the patience to read the rest of this thread. But school started on Aug 22.

Prior to Aug 22, Hurts had the option of staying or leaving.
If he left, he'd have had to sit a year (his RS year) and then have 2019/2020 to play.
If he stayed, he had the option to pre-negotiate with Saban that if he was not the starter, that he could use 2018 as his RS year, and in turn give Saban an experienced backup if he was needed. He could play in up to 4 games and retain his RS. Saban would probably like that as compared to Hurts just transferring before Aug 22. He could then transfer as a "grad transfer" with 2 to play 2.
If the #1 got hurt, Hurts could even end up playing a ton and leading 'Bama to a championship. He'd probably give up the RS for that.

After Aug 22, (i.e. today, the day of this bizarre argument), Hurt has no options to transfer during this semester. He could not play, nor could he receive a scholarship. And he would lose 2018, without redshirting. He'd be forced to attend Alabama in order to get his degree, the only way he could transfer without burning a year (he would have a RS, but why do that?)
This would leave him 1 to play. Suboptimal.

Wait. You’re saying that, if Hurts left Alabama today, he would lose a year of eligibility since school has already started?

this has been quite a debate...er masterbate session between hawg and manhattan. Hope at least one of you finished.

This is fascinating. I’ve been reading a lot of ncaa rules regarding eligibility and transfers because of this discussion. I have not seem this in any ncaa doc.
Don't even have to go to class. If you participate in a practice, it counts toward your eligibility year at a place. That happened to Josh Ford when he walked on at Kansas State and decided to leave (going to community college to get his academics up before coming to CU). That happened with Sebastian Olver last year and Clyde Moore this year -- they didn't make it to the start of the semester at CU but have expended a year of eligibility on their 5 year clocks.

Don't even have to go to class. If you participate in a practice, it counts toward your eligibility year at a place. That happened to Josh Ford when he walked on at Kansas State and decided to leave (going to community college to get his academics up before coming to CU). That happened with Sebastian Olver last year and Clyde Moore this year -- they didn't make it to the start of the semester at CU but have expended a year of eligibility on their 5 year clocks.
Correct. And if for some reason, he did not participate in fall camp, then attending a class, cements that season at that school.

Had he transferred prior to participation in fall camp or not yet started attending class, he could have transferred, but would have sat out this season (using his redshirt). He elected to do that at Alabama. /thread.

I think this means he can grad transfer with 2 years of eligibility left. He may be able to graduate at the end of the fall semester.

@Duff Man - saw Tebow speculate that he'll transfer to Auburn to take over from Stidham.

If our Buffs have a top 15 type season and Montez goes to the NFL, might Hurts consider CU as a grad transfer option? We've got some other guys from the Houston area on the roster and some serious WRs from Texas. Wouldn't be his worst option by any stretch.

If our Buffs have a top 15 type season and Montez goes to the NFL, might Hurts consider CU as a grad transfer option? We've got some other guys from the Houston area on the roster and some serious WRs from Texas. Wouldn't be his worst option by any stretch.
I wouldn't want him at QB. He's just not that good at it.

Intriguing thought. But if that scenario comes to pass, you’re basically telling Noyer and probably Lytle to both transfer out.

I wouldn’t like this. To me it would say to the team we don’t believe in the younger guys. I like our QB options.

A 1 year guy would seem like a better fit in a scenario where Montez leaves early, allows us to see what we have in Lytle/Stenstrom/Evans and it would only be replacing Montez's senior year. A lot of teams do this when they lose a guy early to the draft, wouldn't be surprised if Oregon did if they lose Herbert.

Based on what I saw Saturday that might be my advice for Noyer regardless.
If we based our opinion of Montez on what we saw from him against Michigan, we might think the same of him. Point being, one game is not enough of a body of evidence to make that determination.

I wouldn’t like this. To me it would say to the team we don’t believe in the younger guys. I like our QB options.
Reminds me of when I brought up Russell Wilson years ago when he was grad transferring & was in the minor league system for the Rox. Overwhelming reaction was that it wouldn't be cool to Tyler Hansen and the Buffs shouldn't pursue it.

If we based our opinion of Montez on what we saw from him against Michigan, we might think the same of him. Point being, one game is not enough of a body of evidence to make that determination.

Your point is correct, but coming off the bench against a top 4 team in front of 90,000 in one of the most iconic stadiums in college football is a bit different to getting a chance to prove yourself in a blowout against a FBS school.

I don’t dispute that, but the point remains. One game is not an adequate body of evidence, regardless of the circumstances.

Never been a big fan of Hurts and I really think he would be a poor fit here. Quick decision making is not his strength.

Back