What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 Kansas @ Colorado basketball game thread

Some thoughts...

* Bad news for the Pac-12 -- Jelly has learned how to pass out of the double team. Last year, and even some earlier games this year, the easiest way to foil him was to double team him. He would try, but couldn't pass out consistently. Yesterday? He was beautiful. He found XJ a few times that were incredible. He starts doing that consistently, and he's the best big in the P12. Period.

* The #GooseCrush is getting stronger. J-Hop looked good. Props to RK for calling it during the CSU game, but he's a game shooter. Not a great one, but he does shoot better in games than practice (some reports from the Rivals guys on his practice attempts are hilarious, and scary). Also, his D is still sketchy, but it's getting better. The good thing is, it's lack of coaching (not a shock for a freshman as HS coaches don't always promote D as much as they should) and not a lack of effort. Tad & the staff are working with him on it and it shows. I thought he looked great in the top part of the 2-3 zone.

* The "run the clock" offense we do kills me. I know the logic of it, and I get it, but we just can't pull it off yet. It almost cost us yesterday. I really wish we would stay aggressive even when up. This team is better fast.

* That said, Tad is so much smarter than me it's not even funny. He out-coached the hell out of Self yesterday. He made Self his bitch. Props to Tad for listening to his staff and going to the zone (which he, and myself, hate). It threw Kansas for a loop and they never looked comfortable. Beautiful work and mad props Tad & Co.

* Wiggins has gotten a lot of heat nationally - mainly because a lot of idiots hyped him up to LeBron levels and he can't meet those expectations. That's not his fault. So don't take this next point as a huge criticism of him, but he's not the best player on his team. In fact, he may be the third best. If I'm an NBA team, I'm going after Joel Embiid. That kid was a beast. KU has to take more advantage of him. And there's Perry Ellis who is absolutely amazing and a player that I'm amazed more people don't talk about. If I'm KU, I run an inside outside game with Wiggins & Ellis.

* But Ellis wasn't that great yesterday and that's because of our player of the game - XJ. Seriously, even without his 14 & 6, he got POG from me for his D on Ellis. It was shut down defense, and it was impressive. Honestly, this is something that Will has brought up before, but it might be time to listen to him - Wes may need to come off of the bench. XJ plays better at the 4. I don't think it's a coincidence that his best game of the year came when he was playing the 4 spot. Wes will still get his minutes because the kid is great, but I think he may need to get them coming off of the bench. THis also gives a benefit to something that Rugged & Snow have pointed out - J-Hop plays better when he starts. He may be one of those guys (like XJ BTW) who mentally plays better when he starts the game. Just something to ponder.

* We made a lot of jokes before the game about Ben Mills needing to save the day. And I've never really been a fan of his basketball ability (I will say, one more time, that I love the kid though. His teammates love him, the fans love him, and he's a good guy, so you can't help but cheer for him). But yesterday, he got his moment. No longer will Ben Mills be remembered for being a back of the bench scholarship player. He helped save the day against Kansas. He looked good out there too. Don't get me wrong - he's still fifth in line for minutes as a big man behind Jelly, XJ, Wes and DT, but he's not a disaster out there. Props to Ben and I am thrilled that this is his new legacy at CU.

* Once again, C-Unit - mad props. You guys were amazing. The whole student section was full when I showed up 35 minutes before tip. They were clever (U-S-A for Wiggins was brilliant, even if the idiot KU fan behind me didn't understand it) they were loud and they deserved to charge the court. The most impressive part is something that a few of us discussed post game - they're damn good at policing themselves. You'd hear an occasional stupid/offensive/lame chant start up and they'd get shouted down by others. I hope the people who do a lot of the legwork for the group know how much the alums appreciate it. You guys are amazing.

* Ski - Except for the Baylor game, Ski has been amazing this year. I brought it up a few weeks ago, but if that Baylor game hadn't re-enforced all of the bad stereotypes for Ski we were afraid of, we'd all be praising him to heaven. But the Baylor game fit the narrative and we've been unfairly hard on him (myself included). Rugged yelled at me for it after the game and he's 100% right. Ski is the team leader. Ski is a damn good defender. And Ski is one of the smartest players on the team. We're lucky to have him. Yeah, he's going to occasionally have a bad shot, but the team needs someone who's willing to take initiative and take over. That's Ski. As long as he cuts down on the long 2 jumpers (which he has done), he has the green light in my eyes. I hope to God that Ski never has to buy a drink in Boulder ever again. And, judging by the conversation I overheard between a few co-eds at the Dark Horse post-game, I hope that he got a Jesus Shuttlesworth experience last night. The kid deserves it.

* Finally, thank you to the team. As someone who literally has never seen CU beat Kansas (I was out of the country for the 2003 game and in 1991 I was living in GJ and they just didn't show CU basketball on TV there), this was something that I had wanted for a long time. The guy in front of me summed it up best as he screamed as the game ended "I've been waiting for this for 30 years!" I watched the reaction of the bench on a loop last night for a good 5 minutes and every time I saw Beau Gamble strip his warm up off in celebration, I laughed. Beau sums up my reaction exactly. Pure unbridled joy.

And let me just say that thank you for Beau Gamble. Between him harassing opponents in warm up lines, challenging people to fights and just being so much damn fun to watch, he's my favorite player. I'm gonna have to get RK to get me a Beau jersey somehow.

Jaron is going to be good for us. He seems to be able to hit big shots when we need them most. Can't wait to see him grow this year. XJ did what he does, stepped up when the lights were brightest. He can be absolutely dominate when he wants to be. Can't say enough good things about Ski, his all around game yesterday was fantastic, I was only mad at him for 1 shot. Glad we will have him next year when The Mayor is gone.

I imagine this win feels like the NU win in '86 for football

I've also defended the Gordon/Scott as the bigs starters but I've switched my opinion on it, Wes should come off the bench and have XJ at 4 and have JHop starting.

rNcitLd.jpg

Some thoughts...

* Bad news for the Pac-12 -- Jelly has learned how to pass out of the double team. Last year, and even some earlier games this year, the easiest way to foil him was to double team him. He would try, but couldn't pass out consistently. Yesterday? He was beautiful. He found XJ a few times that were incredible. He starts doing that consistently, and he's the best big in the P12. Period.

Very true of Jam. He's matured from Jelly. He's Josh Scott dammit! Jelly is a wussy European name.

* The "run the clock" offense we do kills me. I know the logic of it, and I get it, but we just can't pull it off yet. It almost cost us yesterday. I really wish we would stay aggressive even when up. This team is better fast.

I agree, but there are times that we need to slow things down, and we can't just say we're not ready for it. We need to get good at it and do it at times.

* Wiggins has gotten a lot of heat nationally - mainly because a lot of idiots hyped him up to LeBron levels and he can't meet those expectations. That's not his fault. So don't take this next point as a huge criticism of him, but he's not the best player on his team.

I think Wiggins might be the smoothest, most physically talented freshman I've ever seen. Period. He is the best player on their team, and he will be a great one.

* Once again, C-Unit - mad props. You guys were amazing. The whole student section was full when I showed up 35 minutes before tip. They were clever (U-S-A for Wiggins was brilliant, even if the idiot KU fan behind me didn't understand it) they were loud and they deserved to charge the court. The most impressive part is something that a few of us discussed post game - they're damn good at policing themselves. You'd hear an occasional stupid/offensive/lame chant start up and they'd get shouted down by others. I hope the people who do a lot of the legwork for the group know how much the alums appreciate it. You guys are amazing.

Good cheering, but their **** You chants can go. This makes us look like amateurs.

* Ski - Except for the Baylor game, Ski has been amazing this year. The kid deserves it.

Ski is a great player and kid. He definitely deserves the accolades for yesterday. I think the Ski haters will never come around.

Good writeup.

Don't like this

"Deep down I bleed Jayhawk blood," Boyle said, "but now I'm 100 percent Buffalo to the core."

I don;t read the Denver Post, ever. However, I suspect that in typical Denver Post fashion, this quote was taken out of context and it certainly doesn't capture the tone correctly. Rivals posted the complete video of the post game interview. Tad also stated that his Kansas days were so long ago that he doesn't even remember them, much less what he had for breakfast. I took his statements as more of a commitment to CU than KU.

I think they got his quote from Tad's press conference after the game. Some reporter asked him what it meant to beat his alma mater, and he said that whole angle is being over killed. Should be more about CU winning, then KU losing. I believe that's when he made the Jayhawk blood comment.

Do any of you guys remember Durant at the keg? That is who Wiggins reminded me of on offense (but he plays a very lazy defense as opposed to Durant)

Don't like this

"Deep down I bleed Jayhawk blood," Boyle said, "but now I'm 100 percent Buffalo to the core."

The correct quote from Tad was "deep down I have some jay-hawk blood in me". He did not say "I bleed Jayhawk blood". The post got it wrong. That quote came from the press conference after the game and did not come across as a negative to me. It's on video on the rival's board.

WOW! Thanks for the love. We had fun yesterday. As far as self policing goes - that is something that we have preached to the athletic department as something that they need to let us to ourselves (credibility, autonomy). For a game like KU, it was pretty obvious from the ticket distribution process that we would need to be on our game yesterday. The few chants that were unacceptable were stopped pretty quick in my opinion. I wish they wouldn’t start in the first place but we are talking about college kids, it’s going to happen.

Also "I hope the people who do a lot of the legwork for the group know how much the alums appreciate it. You guys are amazing.” Ummm, thanks, that’s like,the best compliment we could ever receive. I can’t say enough how much fun we have running the CUnit. It comes with equal satisfaction and headaches as you could probably imagine, but seriously, how many people get this opportunity? There is NOTHING quite like College Basketball, the environment, the games, the student sections, and to be a REAL part of it at the GREATEST INSTITUTION OF HIGHER LEARNING ON THE FACE OF PLAENT EARTH has been the greatest supplement to my degree without question.

The correct quote from Tad was "deep down I have some jay-hawk blood in me". He did not say "I bleed Jayhawk blood". The post got it wrong. That quote came from the press conference after the game and did not come across as a negative to me. It's on video on the rival's board.
Nobody makes Tad Boyle bleed his own Jayhawk blood!

Idot check. The U-S-A is because Wiggins is from Canadiastan, like Brady Haislip, right?

Idot check. The U-S-A is because Wiggins is from Canadiastan, like Brady Haislip, right?

Correct. And because, unlike the Beaker, Wiggins isn't the "best" player on your favorite team so you're not an idot.

Correct. And because, unlike the Beaker, Wiggins isn't the "best" player on your favorite team so you're not an idot.

With Joel Emblid, from Yaoundé, Camaroon, that chant gets you a jayhawk a two-fer-one.

Wes Gordon looking suspiciously nimble ... haha.
Rodney Billups offers no reaction, like a badass. Must be in the blood, his brother being Mr. Big Shot and all.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't realize that the buffs and their fans were a bunch of asshole until I read that thread. Learn something new...

Arizona is God's gift to Pac12 Basketball. The Cats are totally carrying the load all by themselves for the P12 when it comes to quality wins.:rolling_eyes:

I'm not sure if there is an unlikeable kid on the team.

Wes Gordon looking suspiciously nimble ... haha.
Rodney Billups offers no reaction, like a badass. Must be in the blood, his brother being Mr. Big Shot and all.
He didn't play because of a concussion, if that's what you mean.

Wow, I didn't realize that the buffs and their fans were a bunch of asshole until I read that thread. Learn something new...

I laughed too. The guy that hates Buff fans because he's a Cat fan living in Longmont. I've never met a Buff basketball fan that thought the basketball world owed us anything. As a group, we're well aware that our basketball history is lacking, and it's my impression that we're just thankful to be enjoying some success now. The only thing I could think of, is that he caught a lot of **** last January, after Chen's 3-pointer was overturned. But most Cat fans were pretty cool about that, anyway. So then I just figured this guy is just a douche.

One of the big plays in KU's near comeback was the foul called on Dinwiddie on the 3 pt. shot. From what I could tell, Spencer may have brushed the guy after the shot, but it looked like a clear flop to me. If the game results were reversed, I'm sure that call would have raised the ire of CU fans and I'm sure the KU fans would defend the call.

Unfortunately, "Rado" seems to be sticking with those guys. Do they call Washington "Ington?" Oregon "Gon?" Utah "Ah?" They also think that Tad is some kind of whiner, probably because of the Chen 3. Makes sense. ****ing idots.

At least they have an O at the end of Colorado. I'm sick of hearing announcers calling it Colarada. If I have to pronounce Arkansas correctly these mother ****ers should pronounce my state's name right. :lol:

At least they have an O at the end of Colorado. I'm sick of hearing announcers calling it Colarada. If I have to pronounce Arkansas correctly these mother ****ers should pronounce my state's name right. :lol:

Our can sauce

I don't get the 'rado thing at all. Nobody, ever, has done that except Arizona fans. Rado. That's just dumb. It's not insulting, it's just dumb. It's like calling a guy named "Richard" "*****". No, not calling him "Dick", but "*****", and then expecting him to be upset about it. whua?

I don't get the 'rado thing at all. Nobody, ever, has done that except Arizona fans. Rado. That's just dumb. It's not insulting, it's just dumb. It's like calling a guy named "Richard" "*****". No, not calling him "Dick", but "*****", and then expecting him to be upset about it. whua?

Back in the glory days of the Avalanche - Red Wings rivalry (starting in '96), a friend of mine from Michigan (whence I had just moved a year before) and a Wings fan, called the Avs the "Lanche." :rolling_eyes:

I set him straight toute-de-suite.

For those who may be interested (and who have the Pac 12 network) ... they are scheduled to replay the game tonight at 6:30 pm MST.

Back