What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

The OSU coaching search should be in a textbook somewhere on how to conduct one of these things. A one-week coaching search that poaches an established head coach from a P5 school that just played for it's conference championship. Amazing. I would have given CU a better chance of getting Les Miles.

SIAP , but here are the SEC Salaries just for yucks, er thoughtful comparison.

Posted Dec. 11:
SEC coaching salaries (average amount earned per year on current contract)

• Nick Saban, Alabama — $7.1 million
  • Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M — $5 million
  • Les Miles, LSU — $4.3 million
  • Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss — $4 million
  • Steve Spurrier, South Carolina — $4 million
  • Gus Malzahn, Auburn — $3.8 million
  • Butch Jones, Tennessee — $3.6 million
  • Mark Stoops, Kentucky — $3.6 million
  • Jim McElwain, Florida — $3.5 million*
  • Gary Pinkel, Mizzou — $3.4 million
  • Mark Richt, Georgia — $3.3 million
  • Bret Bielema, Arkansas — $3.2 million
  • Dan Mullen, Mississippi St. — $3 million
  • Derek Mason, Vanderbilt — Private
NOTE:Coaches in bold have received raises and/or contract extensions since the USA Today story was released last month.
*McElwain was serving as head coach at Colorado State when USA Today released its list last month. His updated salary is the figure offered by Florida.

Something is bound to happen with Miles pretty soon (maybe not this year, but soon):
2011: 1st is his division - and then got skunked by Alabama 21-0 for the MNC
2012: 2nd
2013: 3rd
2014: tied for 4th

It is crazy to me how Oregon St. can land a name like Gary Anderson but USC had trouble finding a coach last year and had to settle for Sark.

It is crazy to me how Oregon St. can land a name like Gary Anderson but USC had trouble finding a coach last year and had to settle for Sark.

I think it's tough for the blueblood programs to meet their own expectations. Texas didn't feel like they hit it out of the park last year either with Strong. Michigan will probably be a little disappointed with whoever they hire if it's not a Harbaugh or Les Miles.

Part of the problem is perception.

As more involved colllege football fans we know who Anderson is but to a typical fan base he is two years removed from the MWC and didn't win any titles at Wisconsin.

Sark hasn't won anything either but he has "been around" for a long time and came from Washington.

I know it doesn't have to make sense but perception is important.

Lots of fans in Florida weren't happy with Sparkles, and to them his most important resume line is his time as OC at Bama.

This is why every time a major job comes open you start hearing NFL names, guys who are currently in the TV booth, etc.

Something is bound to happen with Miles pretty soon (maybe not this year, but soon):
LSU fans expectations are out of control would be the first reason.

Good points, may be time for LM to try to get to Ann Arbor. The Corndogs are hard to please.

If the powers that be stay out of Strong's way, let him do his job his way, Texas will be nasty in time. It's no secret the guy is a damn good coach. That Louisville D this year was his doing. Question is, will they put their ego aside and let the man work?

LSU fans expectations are out of control would be the first reason.

They do have some legitimate gripes with Miles. How Cam Cameron the OC is getting 1.3 million this year for that offense is thievery. And it's always the offense that's been the liability, and people just can't understand why Miles continues to meddle with it and continue to underachieve with the talent he recruits. It's just really frustrating to watch sometimes.

If the powers that be stay out of Strong's way, let him do his job his way, Texas will be nasty in time. It's no secret the guy is a damn good coach. That Louisville D this year was his doing. Question is, will they put their ego aside and let the man work?

No.

When has Texas ever put egos aside? Won't happen.

I think Strong is a good coach but he may never get a real chance to succeed.

Mack Brown was not a great coach (he was a great recruiter back when he tried hard) who would have never had a NC if not for getting VY. What Mack was very good at was feeding the egos of the administrators and more importantly the money people behind the program.

Will Strong ever be able to build the kind of relationship with those people that gives him enough pull to make his own decisions while they still feel important?

Texas is a unique type of job. Some other schools are similar but none are as political as Texas.

With the freshmen that Miles had on the team this year I only expect them to get better for the next few years. The biggest obstacle is keeping those guys out of the NFL.

College football "destination jobs"

put this here instead of a new thread.

Let's leave alone the point that the author does NOT consider CU to be a "destination job" -- I think that ground is currently being covered in a few other threads. Feel free to pick on the author's Big Ten bias. Here's his list of what he considers the 25 'destination jobs' in college football:

ACC (5)
Clemson Florida State Louisville Miami (Fla.) Virginia Tech

Big 12 (2)
Oklahoma Texas

Big Ten (6)
Michigan Michigan State Nebraska Ohio State Penn State Wisconsin

Pac-12 (4) Oregon USC UCLA Washington

SEC (7)
Alabama Auburn Florida Georgia LSU Tennessee Texas A&M

Independents
Notre Dame

I do appreciate him clarifying that it's Miami of Florida that's in the ACC. Probably necessary, those mid-westerner's don't get out much. :lol: (seriously, those guys are still trying to figure out why tOSU isn't playing in the Rose Bowl against Oregon).

Using the author's criteria for 'destination job':
must afford a coach the ability to win at a high level on a consistent basis. You have to be able to compete for and win championships at the school year in and year out - See more at: http://btn.com/2014/12/12/dienhart-what-are-college-footballs-destination-jobs/#sthash.p23Lqv21.dpuf
Seems to me that you have to add a criteria for "coaches tend to stay there a while".

"high level" is subjective, but "compete for and win championships" not so much.

contentious points (maybe don't belong): Miami, Washington. Apparently Alvarez isn't sure Wisconsin belongs. By the author's own criteria, ND should be out b/c they aren't in a situation to win conference championships and haven't been part of the (more) M(than ever )NC discussion in years. I debated about VT, but objectively do believe that the coaching the Hokies should be considered a destination job.

contentious points (maybe do belong): Air Force, Stanford, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri (yeah, on this subject, I think SEC bias is appropriate).

somebody tell me why you disagree and I'll post my rebuttal tonight after I get sh**-faced.

I don't care who you are, if you have 10 losing seasons in a row, you're no longer a destination job. That includes schools like Texas, ND, USC, whatever. If you get that bad, you aren't a destination job.

I should add: If CU were a true destination job, we wouldn't have ever hired Embree. No destination school hires an unproven NFL assistant coach to run their program.

Back