What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

Frost to CSU would actually be a good move for both of them. He may or may not be ready for the transition to HC, but if he is, and he's successful, well look what sparkles just did.

If he's not successful, everyone has an easy out: he was too young/inexperienced. He can go back to being an OC and spend some more time learning without it really hurting his career development, and CSU can go [strike]**** themselves[/strike] hire a new coach. CSU is in (and will pretty much always be in) a position where they have to take a chance on a guy, and Frost seems like a reasonable chance to take.

Also keep in mind that CSU already has a disproportionate number of students from Nebraska, that and his NU background will only help him in recruiting the players that NU turns down. It would be the next best thing to playing for big red for a lot of them...

Seems like a good hire for CSU. I like how they are serious about sports up there. Puts more pressure on CU to keep trying to get its act together.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Lubick come along as the OC.

maybe I'm in the minority but if Frost is the hire I'm not sure I'm all that impressed ...

most coaches could guide a Heisman Trophy winner with all of that surrounding talent to where Oregon is today but can he recruit and coach a non P5 school ?

maybe I'm in the minority but if Frost is the hire I'm not sure I'm all that impressed ...

most coaches could guide a Heisman Trophy winner with all of that surrounding talent to where Oregon is today but can he recruit and coach a non P5 school ?

How many Oregon games did you watch this year? As I understand it, Oregon doesn't actually have the highest rated classes (somebody help me here) but is very effective at attracting talent for their system. At any rate, even with the right talent, and a freak-talent at QB, what Oregon's offense did this year was simply amazing. I think there is some credit due to the staff.

I also think that falling off the Helfrich coaching tree, who was taking over the train from Chip isn't as impressive as falling off the Bama coaching tree.

That being said, we will see CSU's name pop up a lot more with our targeted recruits.

P5 OC worked out for them last time

^^This^^

We said a lot of the same stuff last time, riding the coattails of Saban, living of Bama talent, no experience, etc. Guy ended up with the Florida job so he wasn't that bad.

No guarantee that Frost will be another McElwain but he has a name recruits recognize and has been associated with a lot of winning. He is the type of coach that CSU and schools like it have to pick from.

Frost seems to be a hot name right now, so it's definitely a hire that will be well received by media & fans.

Frost may end up being a good hire, but he is the beneficiary of the greatest offensive system in College football in decades, and just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I don't doubt he is a good coach, but good luck recreating Oregon in Fort Fun. I think this will be very fun to watch at the least.

Frost may end up being a good hire, but he is the beneficiary of the greatest offensive system in College football in decades, and just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I don't doubt he is a good coach, but good luck recreating Oregon in Fort Fun. I think this will be very fun to watch at the least.

I figure he gets the UO system rolling in FoCo and CSU dominates the MWC for a long time...... or he fails hard. I don't see much middle ground.

One nice thing about this hire even if it turns out to be the correct hire is that we will be able to play against a similar offense to most of the rest of the Pac an additional game per year. (If we don't kill the series.)

I would prefer this over playing AFA with the wishbone. We don't have to change our practice up too much on game week.

One thing we can be pretty sure of is that Frost won't sign a contract with a $7.5 million buyout.

If he does his agent should be sued for malpractice.

No comment on whether Frost would be a good coach or not but I don't get the line of thought that good programs don't produce good coaches. Why do people discount a coaching prospect because they come from a good program? Look at CU back in the heyday. Or Alabama now. Would you go to a losing program and grab an assistant because you know they aren't just padding their resume by being in the right place at the right time?

Reactions: aik
I think Scott Frost is the best hire they could have made. Some of the bigger schools were even looking his way. I still think it is a huge mistake to not have an AD that hires his own HC though. It is really weird that I haven't even heard if CSU is even looking for an AD.

Good hire for them. Not a sure thing, of course. difficult place to win.

Also, Frost might be taking a life boat out of Oregon if he thinks Mariota's heirs apparent aren't all that good.

No comment on whether Frost would be a good coach or not but I don't get the line of thought that good programs don't produce good coaches. Why do people discount a coaching prospect because they come from a good program?

I think it cuts both ways, and it depends on the assumed credit a coordinator deserves for the team's success. Good programs do have and produce good coaches, but they can also prop up mediocre ones. Much easier to take over a talented, successful offense than to try and recreate it somewhere else.

Not to mention, Frost is still pretty inexperienced having only been a coordinator for a couple years, so I think the question marks are valid in his case.

Was a rumor that Helfritch took over playcalling from Frost about halfway through the year. Not sure if its legit, but who knows.

Seems simple to me if your goal is to promote a coordinator to HC

1. Look back five years and see who finished in the top25, top10 if possible. Look at NCAA stats, wins & losses.
2. Make a spreadsheet and determine which five or six teams are on the list every year.
3. Target the coordinators at those teams that have been there and have been in that job at least 2-3 seasons.
4. Interview that list.

Oregon would certainly make the list of schools doing it right for awhile now. So would Alabama, Ohio State, and a few others. That's where I'd look for an up and coming coach

Seems simple to me if your goal is to promote a coordinator to HC

1. Look back five years and see who finished in the top25, top10 if possible. Look at NCAA stats, wins & losses.
2. Make a spreadsheet and determine which five or six teams are on the list every year.
3. Target the coordinators at those teams that have been there and have been in that job at least 2-3 seasons.
4. Interview that list.

Oregon would certainly make the list of schools doing it right for awhile now. So would Alabama, Ohio State, and a few others. That's where I'd look for an up and coming coach

Frost has only been OC for one year however.

Frost has only been OC for one year however.

Two, I believe, but it's a fair point. I would give Frost another year at Oregon before deciding. Of course, if you are looking for a HC this year, that doesn't really do you any good.

Two, I believe, but it's a fair point. I would give Frost another year at Oregon before deciding. Of course, if you are looking for a HC this year, that doesn't really do you any good.

CSU not being a P5 school but wanting to become one will take on such elevated risks. I think they'd like to pick up where they left off.

Maybe Frost is the guy. Maybe not. Though I'd probably look around in SEC country again (maybe they already have). At 39 he's a lot more likely to sign a long term deal with a big buyout in exchange for his first HC gig. And agree to keep some of the current CSU staff.

CSU is CSU, so they're pretty much limited to assistant coaches and lower-division head coaches. For instance, MM wasn't going to leave SJSU for CSU. Those being the circumstances, this hire is about as good as CSU could hope to achieve, and they will probably pay top (MWC) dollar for Frost (that's not to say he will necessarily be successful.)

If Frost does get the job, expect a lot of growing pains as he tries to install the Chip Kelly offense with Sparkles' players.

CSU is CSU, so they're pretty much limited to assistant coaches and lower-division head coaches. For instance, MM wasn't going to leave SJSU for CSU. Those being the circumstances, this hire is about as good as CSU could hope to achieve, and they will probably pay top (MWC) dollar for Frost (that's not to say he will necessarily be successful.)

If Frost does get the job, expect a lot of growing pains as he tries to install the Chip Kelly offense with Sparkles' players.

This is spot on.

CSU needs to have somebody with some name credibility to get recruits interested since the name on the program will not. Sparkles helped them a lot by getting them two consecutive bowls but even then these aren't "name" bowls. A guy like Frost can use his association with Oregon and his connection to Nebraska to get in the door with HS coaches and to get HS kids to at least listen to him.

I would be shocked if he signs a contract with the giant buyout like his predicesor but he is one of the name assistants right now. CSU might be looking to generate more revenue by developing another HC to move up in a couple years again.

Back