What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 CU News & Notes (Buff Stuff)

Lots of work on the offense. Line still struggling to get a push in the run game. Sefo still locking onto receivers. I almost wish his main read every time was downfield and he had to check down to short passes. I did think the line looked better pass blocking which isn't saying much compared to last year.

Oh my. Have you not been reading the posts on this website this summer?
Yes, I have seen a lot of talk about some scheme changes, the addition of some more talented receivers, and a senior QB that we're hoping can improve from last year. I haven't seen many posts with exceedingly high expectations.

Very disappointing hear about the o line. Frustrating we can't see to get our act together there. They've still got some time to gel, so hopefully that will be enough.

I guess I have been reading too much into the koolaid posts. If the expectations are for a below average offense, they are right on IMO.
jQN4FNW.gif

I didn't walk away from that scrimmage with a lot of confidence, but I'm not sure how valid a general impression is from a situational scrimmage.

I did have a positive impression of Noyer. That young man throws a nice ball. I agree with the comments on Julmise (sp?), could be really good on either side of the ball.

Sefo's field vision still didn't look good to me. Seems real slow in going from first read to next. Tough to see non-primaries wide open and him looking to the other side of the field. Possibly a problem with how they design plays too.

Lastly, I though Jay Macintyre looked good in the slot. He should get a fair amount of playing time.

Yes, I have seen a lot of talk about some scheme changes, the addition of some more talented receivers, and a senior QB that we're hoping can improve from last year. I haven't seen many posts with exceedingly high expectations.

So all the predictions of going to a bowl game are based on defenseive and special teams excellence?

New member. First post.
My scrimmage observations... Julmisse got a lot of work, mostly at WR. Not sure why but Winfree didn't participate. He didn't appear injured but was in shorts and jersey for the contact stuff. Bobo was in his place and got a lot of reps. Ento snagged a jump ball in the endzone over Chido who had great coverage. Moeller was out with an ankle injury so Laguda stepped in and looked good. Ross had one drop but otherwise looked okay. Sefo looked like usual which means at times he looked good. He still runs sideways as plays break down. Gonzalez made all of his FG, from both hashes. LB corp looked okay. Gamboa blew up Lindsay for a loss. Lindsay, on the next play, then went for a 10+ yard run. DL looks solid.

So all the predictions of going to a bowl game are based on defenseive and special teams excellence?

You don't have to score 40 points a game to win, all you do is score one more point than the other team, and if our defense is good enough to hold the other team to a low scoring margin we have a good chance to go bowling. I'm expecting to leavitt to hold most teams under 28. We'll sneak some wins out this year from ST and defense.

Scrimmages are always tough to evaluate in my opinion. Sefo was going against the 1's, and the DB's did well. As many people think our DB's are one of our big strengths, I don't think it would have been good if Sefo went out and torched them.

All in all there were several things that made me hopeful, and several things that showed why we lost to Hawaii, Arizona, UCLA, USC, and Utah.

Hard to gauge just how far the O line needs to come along. We aren't expecting any teams we play to get a push against our D line, so why would we expect our line to do it.

Have to take everything in a scrimmage with a grain of salt.

Summary

D

Good D line. Worry about depth to chase P12 QBs.
Absence of edge rushers could hurt.
LBs active. 31 good. 32 will be exposed like last year.
DBs play too loose for me. I thought they would play more press coverage.
Ss can run. Played good run support.
Leavitt big voice, active coach.

O

Looked like last year, overall.
Played faster though. 2 signals from sideline. 12 sec per play
Chiv on sideline. Lindgren in box.
No motion. 4 WR sets. Trips mostly.
No missed snaps on first unit
RBs are just OK. Not much speed. Lindsey can't get to corner.
OL line is better, not great. Will struggle against good D lines. Pass blocking pretty good. Drive blocking not so good, but they played against three stout DLs on D 1s
WRs are better as a unit. Nobody stood out. It's a possession receiver O even at X and Y.
A few long balls as verticles. Nothing really down the middle or in the seams. Mostly 7 yard outs and inside hooks to TE.
Montez threw three good long balls as QB2
Sefo is good kid, but same. Mechanics are still flawed. Numerous, numerous mistakes on throws Underthrow to wrong shoulder on INT. 3/5 from 10 slant, low and inside, receiver had to go to ground to catch it. Proper lead is a score. Ball to wide open Lindsey led him OOB. Ball down the middle thrown behind receiver for PD. . At best, rusty. He's MM's guy but he is not he answer.
Gerkhe ran 2s and3s when Montez went down.
Got sloppy at end especially with 2s and 3s.

ST

No punts.
Good FGs.

Other

Not many penalties.
Not much energy.
Nobody flying around.

4-5 wins. 6 if P12 down.

You don't have to score 40 points a game to win, all you do is score one more point than the other team, and if our defense is good enough to hold the other team to a low scoring margin we have a good chance to go bowling. I'm expecting to leavitt to hold most teams under 28. We'll sneak some wins out this year from ST and defense.

I only look at conference stats.
2014 Defense points allowed in conference..... 43.0
2014 Offensive point scored in conference...... 29.2

2015 Defense points allowed in conference..... 32.3
2015 Offensive point scored in conference...... 19.7

I guess what you say is possible.

[QUOTE="All in all there were several things that made me hopeful, and several things that showed why we lost to Hawaii, Arizona, UCLA, USC, and Utah.[/QUOTE]

I wish I woulda said that. I am hopeful the koolaide can ease the small pain which is starting.

Expecting our defense to hold most teams under 28 is unrealistic in the Pac 12. Too many good offenses. Hopefully they can hold enough teams in check to get to a bowl game. FWIW - Only CU and OSU averaged under 28 points per game last year.

Lot of assumptions being made off one scrimmage with several players out.

Also can clearly tell who the negative posters are because they're giving far worse reports than I've seen elsewhere.

One interesting moment of the buffs being buffs. They were 1's v 1's from the 40 with under 2 on the clock and no timeouts. They were slowly moving the chains and had a short pass over the middle stopped short of the first down with 30 seconds on the clock. They offense was trying to set up to clock the ball and subs started coming in from the sideline. Ended up finally getting a snap with 4 seconds left costing them a chance at one or two extra plays. Same horrible end of game BS that has cost us games over the years. Mac LOST HIS ****. Started throwing his visor and screaming at the O coaches. Not a good look.

Expecting our defense to hold most teams under 28 is unrealistic in the Pac 12. Too many good offenses. Hopefully they can hold enough teams in check to get to a bowl game. FWIW - Only CU and OSU averaged under 28 points per game last year.

Stronger kool aid............"Da pain, Da pain"

Back