What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Coaching Carousel

NC State set to hire Keatts from UNCW. He has only been a head coach for 3 seasons but has had good success, making the tournament the last 2 years and was also an assistant under Pitino at Louisville

NC State set to hire Keatts from UNCW. He has only been a head coach for 3 seasons but has had good success, making the tournament the last 2 years and was also an assistant under Pitino at Louisville
I think it's a really good hire for them. Pitino spoke highly of Keatts.

I think Archie Miller may take Indiana. Illinois craves Miller or Marshall, I doubt they get either.

Brad Underwood is the rumor du jour.

Last edited:
Noise around Il. that they have their guy. Surprise name.

Both Drews have been floated, btw. Underwood?

Last edited:
I think Archie Miller may take Indiana. Illinois craves Miller or Marshall, I doubt they get either. Maybe Monty Williams.

Indian's search will begin and end with Alford. I personally don't care for Alford, but I'm going to very surprised if anyone but Alford is IU's next coach.

I don't get why any successful coach would go to Champaigne. I think the Illinois job sucks - Marshall should wait for a better gig.

Also - I have NOTHING to base this on, but I've always been hopeful that Davis would return to CO via transfer to CU. Crean is a whiny lil bitch, and some stories made him just petty of a coach. Hopefully Boyle and crew developed a good relationship with Davis and fam in case he thinks about getting out of Bloomington.

Indian's search will begin and end with Alford. I personally don't care for Alford, but I'm going to very surprised if anyone but Alford is IU's next coach.

I don't get why any successful coach would go to Champaigne. I think the Illinois job sucks - Marshall should wait for a better gig.

Also - I have NOTHING to base this on, but I've always been hopeful that Davis would return to CO via transfer to CU. Crean is a whiny lil bitch, and some stories made him just petty of a coach. Hopefully Boyle and crew developed a good relationship with Davis and fam in case he thinks about getting out of Bloomington.

Indiana fans make an assumption that Alford would want to go back to Indiana.

He's in a pretty good situation right now and the boosters there will make sure that the money isn't an issue. He's at a place where he can win big but doesn't have as much pressure to win big. Indiana fans think it was being Indiana that made them that good, not Bobby Knight coaching at Indiana. Ever since he left they have been trying to recapture the magic and it hasn't happened for more that short spurts since.

Alford and Knight have been very publicly at odds but Alford can't help but to think about how Knight was shown the door. He also may not want to contend with the legacy of Bobby. UCLA has it's own legendary coach but since Alford doesn't have any connection to Wooden and enough time has passed he doesn't have to deal with it like he would at Indiana.

Unless Ind. admins live hopelessly in the past I don't see the allure of Alford. His record is spotty and he's tied to knight who hates/is hated by Indiana.

He had a sub.500 big ten record at Iowa and tried hard to keep rapist Pierre Pierce eligible. His first success at New Mexico and he bailed. He was on the hotseat at ucla after a bad season last year then lucked into Lonzo Ball. Not a good risk for Indiana.

Last edited:
Indiana fans should have longer memories in basketball than most in their conference enough to remember Steve's first stint in the Big Ten was a heap of mediocrity. Regardless of what he's done since I'd be cautious.

Big Ten and SEC are using their money to raise the going rate for MBB coaches now. Standard for a non-elite program is now set at $3MM+ per year. Wow.

Big Ten and SEC are using their money to raise the going rate for MBB coaches now. Standard for a non-elite program is now set at $3MM+ per year. Wow.

Illinois has been crap for quite some time, but they are historically top 20ish in basketball. It seems they've tired of being a doormat and if money can fix it are going to give it a go.

Illinois has been crap for quite some time, but they are historically top 20ish in basketball. It seems they've tired of being a doormat and if money can fix it are going to give it a go.

Not in touch with anyone back there. Chicago used to be a hotbed of basketball talent, schools from all over the country used to go there hoping to get kids.

How is it now? Talent tends to fix bad programs and if the Illini can stock up locally turning the program around isn't as big a task as some.

I guess Hopkins got tired of waiting for Boeheim to retire.
Probably and Boeheim probably should retire. I'd think he'd spend the rest of his time with his family. He's a great coach that has done pretty much everything. I guess he just loves it that much.

The word as recent as 6 weeks ago is that Boeheim was still only planning on coaching 1 more year
Syracuse, N.Y. -- Despite the announcement 23 months ago that Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim would retire after the 2017-18 season, speculation has swirled about whether that would actually take place.

Syracuse athletic director John Wildhack affirmed that those plans remain in place during a Thursday appearance on the On the Block with Brent Axe radio program on ESPN Syracuse.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...icking_with_jim_boeheims_retirement_plan.html

He may have been the plan all along at Syracuse but you never can tell how things change.

Bigger issue is that it rarely ever works out to be the guy who replaces the "legend." Even if you are successful it isn't good enough. Fail and you rarely get any slack.

Not in touch with anyone back there. Chicago used to be a hotbed of basketball talent, schools from all over the country used to go there hoping to get kids.

How is it now? Talent tends to fix bad programs and if the Illini can stock up locally turning the program around isn't as big a task as some.

Chicago cranks out tons of talent every year. From mega stars to the guys who populate big ten rosters and the dayton/marquette/iowa sts etc. of the world. Its really just math.

Kind of an aau cesspool though.

Last edited:
Chicago cranks out tons of talent every year. From mega stars to the guys who populate big ten rosters and the dayton/marquette/iowa sts etc. of the world. Its really just math.

Kind of an aau cesspool though.

A little cash in the right hands and you are rebuilt, as long as you can keep the kids on campus.

Unless Ind. admins live hopelessly in the past I don't see the allure of Alford. His record is spotty and he's tied to knight who hates/is hated by Indiana.

He had a sub.500 big ten record at Iowa and tried hard to keep rapist Pierre Pierce eligible. His first success at New Mexico and he bailed. He was on the hotseat at ucla after a bad season last year then lucked into Lonzo Ball. Not a good risk for Indiana.

I agree with all you said, except for Knight being hated by IU (yes, he still harbors ill-will towards IU though). IU alums I know still love Knight, and the administrative heads that were around when he was fired have all left the school. There is also a nostalgic effect going on with IU having no consistent success since Knight - lots of people associated with the program seem to want to go back to the Knight tree. Dan Dakich has become my favorite college bball TV personality, and he talked about how IU has tried to steer clear of Knight. It has not worked - they can't be scared of hiring their own.

IU has a lot going for it - it's an attractive job. You have a rabid fan base. You have a monetary support. You have great HS prospects in your own state. This last point is one of the biggest allures of Alford. He's a hometown kid that would hopefully close down the state. I agree that Alford is not a sturdy coaching prospect, but he can recruit.

In unrelated news, Tremont Waters has just told Georgetown that he is out. He was their best recruit, and one of the arguments for JT staying at Georgetown. Now that he's gone, I wonder if the seat just got hotter. If you're Georgetown, you have to make that move imo.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if JT was out at Georgetown and Patrick Ewing gets the promotion.

Hopkins could of and should of, left years ago for a head coaching job. He's had offers before. He's from Cali and he can certainly recruit. My take - Wife and I have had season tickets for 12 years. We bleed orange basketball. Its love hate with Boeheim. He is god like to some, and a prick to others. I personally love the guy. Loyal as hell and he can flat out coach. Hopkins will succeed at Washington and when the grumpy old man decides to hang up the whistle maybe Hopkins will come back. Hops always wanted to get back to the west coast. Boeheim will retire when he wants to and no one can force him out. They would have fired him decades ago for the trouble they've been in. He runs the show in Cuse. I wish Hopkins the best and I think he'll do great things at Washington.

Back