What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Coaching Carousel

Wouldn't surprise me at all if JT was out at Georgetown and Patrick Ewing gets the promotion.
Based on the limited interviews I remember seeing of Ewing when he was a player representative during one of the lock outs, that seems like a terrible idea.

LSU made a smart hire. That hurts for VCU. He is one of the top young coaches, no doubt.

Haven't seen anything to show me any signs Bennett is leaving as of yet despite the B1G openings and massive money. Bennett isn't your typical guy. He may well leave, but I haven't seen/heard any imminent signs as of yet and I am well connected despite my distance.

LSU made a smart hire. That hurts for VCU. He is one of the top young coaches, no doubt.

Haven't seen anything to show me any signs Bennett is leaving as of yet despite the B1G openings and massive money. Bennett isn't your typical guy. He may well leave, but I haven't seen/heard any imminent signs as of yet and I am well connected despite my distance.
I heard him on the radio after the win in the first round, it could all be bull**** but he seemed genuinely proud of coaching at a place that values academics like UVA does. He said that was a big reason he chose to go there when he had so many choices.

I heard him on the radio after the win in the first round, it could all be bull**** but he seemed genuinely proud of coaching at a place that values academics like UVA does. He said that was a big reason he chose to go there when he had so many choices.

I think he genuinely does. I know that's a common phrase, but he's a different type. And while the Midwest ties might be good for him personally, his wife isn't from from far away and Charlottesville is about as great of a place as there is to raise kids. I hope the loss of Austin Nicholls at the start of the season and what transpired this year made him realize he needs to get higher quality talent in on a consistent basis, even if that means loosening his notoriously choosy offer process a bit. We let a kid on UF from Richmond kill us...

Anyway, things obviously change quickly, but despite the potential massive offer from Illinois along with Indiana poking around, there is nothing *at the moment* to suggest he won't be staying.

Would be hard for Bennet to turn down Indiana, I think. Great town. Great university. Elite program.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if JT was out at Georgetown and Patrick Ewing gets the promotion.

I get why you say that, but if I'm Georgetown, this is the absolute worst thing you can do. If you have to fire Ewing, then you really threaten to alienate alums and former bball players. Ewing is a rising prospect in the pros, but he has not shown he can manage players' academics or recruit. While we can imagine that recruiting should be easy for a legend like him...and with all that DC talent in their backyard, we can't assume this. Georgetown needs to get a coach that can get the job done, and Ewing is someone to avoid.

I get why you say that, but if I'm Georgetown, this is the absolute worst thing you can do. If you have to fire Ewing, then you really threaten to alienate alums and former bball players. Ewing is a rising prospect in the pros, but he has not shown he can manage players' academics or recruit. While we can imagine that recruiting should be easy for a legend like him...and with all that DC talent in their backyard, we can't assume this. Georgetown needs to get a coach that can get the job done, and Ewing is someone to avoid.

It's the Mullin to St. John's move. (Or Drexler to Houston, several years ago.) I'm not generally a fan of that type of move and it doesn't seem to work out most of the time. I'm just saying that I can see Georgetown going in that direction with Ewing. I agree that they'd likely be better served by hiring someone like Richmond's Chris Mooney as the next head coach (on the low end of what they can get) versus hiring a legacy. But the Hoyas love their legacies.

They've been talking about that quite a bit lately. I've even heard Patrick Ewing as the possible replacement. Oops didn't see what Duke wrote, my bad.

Kind of surprised to see all the push back to Georgetown firing Thompson III. Seems like a good job and he has let them decline a lot under their watch not the "Georgetown has too high of expectations."

Steve Alford to Indiana getting a lot of buzz right now. One of the big components, it seems, is that Indiana is an Adidas school and they're pissed at UCLA for switching to UA. They may be willing to pay for Alford's buyout. http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/steve-alford-ucla-buyout-indiana-adidas-under-armour.html
So their revenge is getting a coach that the fanbase hates and has a horrible buyout out of there?

I'm not sure they thought this through real well...

Who around here doesn't mind seeing Indiana flounder as they continue to imagine themselves as a blueblood?

alzan-mano.jpg

I'm not sure if I believe him at this point, but apparently Alford has said he is 100% committed to UCLA and will not go to IU. If IU is not able to persuade Alford, then I have no idea...Bennett sounds great, but I don't see him leaving. You have to wonder where Archie Miller goes, whether it be this year or next. Mack at Xavier has got to be a hot name too. FWIW - I think Alford is a douche and just saying this so when he does leave for IU, it seems like he is going through a heart aching decision and he leaves UCLA on good terms.

Washington Post has an article that mentions Brey, Ewing, and Amaker for Gtown. I don't see Brey at all, as he has rebuilt ND into a solid program. Amaker is from the area I believe, and while he didn't have success at Michigan, you have to give him credit for a decent job at Seton Hall and good job at Harvard. I personally would love to see it as a Duke fan, particularly to have more data for selecting K's successor.

I'm not sure if I believe him at this point, but apparently Alford has said he is 100% committed to UCLA and will not go to IU. If IU is not able to persuade Alford, then I have no idea...Bennett sounds great, but I don't see him leaving. You have to wonder where Archie Miller goes, whether it be this year or next. Mack at Xavier has got to be a hot name too. FWIW - I think Alford is a douche and just saying this so when he does leave for IU, it seems like he is going through a heart aching decision and he leaves UCLA on good terms.

Washington Post has an article that mentions Brey, Ewing, and Amaker for Gtown. I don't see Brey at all, as he has rebuilt ND into a solid program. Amaker is from the area I believe, and while he didn't have success at Michigan, you have to give him credit for a decent job at Seton Hall and good job at Harvard. I personally would love to see it as a Duke fan, particularly to have more data for selecting K's successor.

Duke search going to be limited to former K players/ assistants?

I'd think Duke could probably get the pick of the litter. Chris Collins would be a good choice imho if they go the other route.

...hmmm...perhaps I should be less critical of coaches and their statements... ...but then again...

Good move for IU - I like Miller.

Duke search going to be limited to former K players/ assistants?

I think so. It'd be one thing if there weren't a lot of good former players in the coaching ranks, but there are. Capel, Collins, Hurley, Brey (although he is likely not on a short list and wouldn't leave ND), Amaker, Snyder, Wojo, etc. There isn't a slam dunk candidate, but enough former players/assistants that many would be surprised if one of them isn't selected.

Now...if Izzo for some odd reason said he wanted to replace K... ...I don't think any Duke fan would complain. Outside of the unrealistic though, the general consensus is that it will be a former player/assistant.

Archie Miller's a good coach. But so is Tom Crean. I'm not sure how that's really an upgrade. Crean was great at Marquette, brought those Izzo philosophies to Indiana, and won there. Would have won this year if injuries hadn't gutted his team. If Hartman, Blackmon and Anubody had been healthy, they might still be playing right now. Maybe it just ran its course since Crean never made a tourney run that would give him security against a season that went like the current one.

Back