What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Coaching Carousel

Heard some talking yesterday that Matta was getting investigated for something. What, no idea?

Not saying you're wrong, but I found your statement interesting. I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything, not that it proves you wrong or anything. The reason I was surprised is that I thought that Matta was one of those coaches who supposedly "did things the right way." An OSU fan friend of mine joked that he had to be, because his recruiting recently has sucked so bad.

Pure speculation on my part, but I think OSU just got freaked out by the apparent downward trajectory of the program. Since Matta had raised the bball expectations, along with football's success and expectations, the AD did not feel Matta deserved more leeway. AD probably wanted Matta to get more into recruiting, which means flirting with the AAUs more and potentially dirty lines. Again, maybe YngC or others can share info if they have some, but I'm just speculating as a fan. Maybe Matta is actually dirty, but I believe he's supposed to be one of the old school "good guys."

Not saying you're wrong, but I found your statement interesting. I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything, not that it proves you wrong or anything. The reason I was surprised is that I thought that Matta was one of those coaches who supposedly "did things the right way." An OSU fan friend of mine joked that he had to be, because his recruiting recently has sucked so bad.

Pure speculation on my part, but I think OSU just got freaked out by the apparent downward trajectory of the program. Since Matta had raised the bball expectations, along with football's success and expectations, the AD did not feel Matta deserved more leeway. AD probably wanted Matta to get more into recruiting, which means flirting with the AAUs more and potentially dirty lines. Again, maybe YngC or others can share info if they have some, but I'm just speculating as a fan. Maybe Matta is actually dirty, but I believe he's supposed to be one of the old school "good guys."
My perception is the same as yours. However, scandal can hit anyone and anywhere. In this case, diminishing returns from Matta and lukewarm booster support means that he can't survive even an issue that would be brushed off if he was still going to Final Fours.

I'm not saying I'm right at all, they were just talking about it on XM. Could just be spec, who the **** knows?

I think his botched back surgery and subsequent pain has left him as a coach much older than he actually is. I think the pain has taken away some of his coaching desire and the players saw that. He lost his entire prized 2015 recruiting class to transfer and wasn't going to recover from that. I've never heard anything about him being dirty.

Chris Holtmann is leaving Butler to take over at Ohio State. I've been very impressed by how well coached Holtmann's teams have been. The big drop off I expected when Brad Stevens left for the NBA and they had a losing season the next year (Brandon Miller's 1 season as HC before Holtmann). I think we'll see Ohio State back in the top ranks of the B1G very soon.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ire-coach-chris-holtmann-away-butler-bulldogs

Michigan just poached two assistant coaches from Illinois St. Luke Yaklich and Deandre Haynes. Wisconsin took another ISU assistant, Dean Oliver, a few months ago. ISU will also have former players starting at Oregon, Minnesota, New Mexico St., and LSU. They're getting picked clean. The Minnesota player, Reggie Lynch , left two years ago and was big 10 defensive player of the year lasy year.

Last edited:
Back