What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Coaching Carousel

Nothing against Miller, but I wonder why IU didn't wait a little longer and try to pry Martin away from gamecockville.
Martin is way too shady of a character for Bloomington. He's part Bobby Knight (but from the Miami streets, not West Point) and part recruiting violation waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Martin is way to shady of a character for Bloomington. He's part Bobby Knight (but from the Miami streets, not West Point) and part recruiting violation waiting to happen.

I'm not sold that Crean is/was a Mother Teresa type. I'm sure he wasn't the cleanest cat in the alley. However, I'll accept your point that its possible Martin may have been a little too "muddy" for IU.

Martin is way to shady of a character for Bloomington. He's part Bobby Knight (but from the Miami streets, not West Point) and part recruiting violation waiting to happen.

Martin's had a number of violations. Heck, I think he's still banned from Florida high schools.

Archie to Indiana doesn't surprise me, but as Nik implied, I'm not really sure why they'd expect an upgrade in results. Archie will deliver constantly pretty good seasons. He won't make Indiana elite again.

Seems a little early to write Archie off in terms of reaching the elite eight. He is a young coach who could absolutely take that next step going to a program with the advantages IU has. I am just hoping he makes a final 4 before his brother.

FWIW - a few IU fans I've talked to thought that Crean was a brat, and thought he had lost his teams at various points over the years. It does seem though that some of his former players have stood up for him. However, there is a strong sentiment, if not consensus, among IU fans that Crean was not leading his team well, and there were severe chemistry issues on this last team. His coaching moment of having the players write letters of apology to former players and alumni didn't seem to hit home either.

Not saying that Crean can't coach, but I'm not a fan of his. Without really knowing too much about Dayton, Miller had those teams playing well from an outsider's perspective. Sometimes it's not X's and O's or recruiting that fixes things, but the actual persona of the coach that makes a difference. If I were IU, I may not have made the change yet, but Crean's seat would definitely have been warm. The change makes sense to me, and the fans I know are happy about it.

Mark Titus is openly campaigning to be the head coach at Duquesne, and it's quite hilarious. Follow along on his twitter: https://twitter.com/clubtrillion

Some joker has also updated the Duquesne men's hoops wiki page to make Titus the coach.

Ewing has been hounded by "He's dumb" slurs his whole career, but it's mostly racism. He went to one of the best HS's in New England and got a degree from Georgetown (on time). He's a very smart man.

Ewing has been hounded by "He's dumb" slurs his whole career, but it's mostly racism. He went to one of the best HS's in New England and got a degree from Georgetown (on time). He's a very smart man.
Wasn't he also head of the NBAPA?

Agreed. His testimony in the Gold Club trial though really didn't help that narrative.

Agreed. His testimony in the Gold Club trial though really didn't help that narrative.
That and a sound bite on ESPN when was a leader in the NFLPA where he said "We (the players) need to make a lot of money, because we spend a lot of money".

I wrote him off at that point. That could be unfair - it is amazing what a sound bite can do.

That and a sound bite on ESPN when was a leader in the NFLPA where he said "We (the players) need to make a lot of money, because we spend a lot of money".

I wrote him off at that point. That could be unfair - it is amazing what a sound bite can do.

Do you hold yourself to the same standard? Because Patrick didn't have anything to do with the NFL.

Last edited:
I like Ewing, and like Gtown. I hope the best for them, but their AD needs to be on a short leash. He just hired a legacy to appease the overbearing presence of Big John, after failing to hire any of their original targets. They also laid off JT3 too late - they needed to do it earlier. This hiring process looked very amateurish, reminding me of CU's search after Hawk and landing Embree. Ewing may be able to coach bigs, but he has no experience recruiting, no experience juggling academic requirements, no experience running a system and hiring assistants, no experience scheduling, etc. Maybe he has a natural knack for these things, and some things may just not be that hard. But, their AD just hired someone and put them in a position to fail. ... ...I'd be upset if I were the president.

I like Ewing, and like Gtown. I hope the best for them, but their AD needs to be on a short leash. He just hired a legacy to appease the overbearing presence of Big John, after failing to hire any of their original targets. They also laid off JT3 too late - they needed to do it earlier. This hiring process looked very amateurish, reminding me of CU's search after Hawk and landing Embree. Ewing may be able to coach bigs, but he has no experience recruiting, no experience juggling academic requirements, no experience running a system and hiring assistants, no experience scheduling, etc. Maybe he has a natural knack for these things, and some things may just not be that hard. But, their AD just hired someone and put them in a position to fail. ... ...I'd be upset if I were the president.

Not saying that he doesn't know the game or isn't intelligent but it is fairly rare that a guy who was an outstanding talent like Ewing was is able to be a highly successful coach.

It seems like the best coaches are the guys who had a little less talent and because of that had to outwork and outsmart and out tough everybody else. Can Ewing relate to the guy who isn't physically superior to his opponent?

I seem to be a minority opinion here sometimes, but if Tad had the foresight to hire Romar and their philosophies/personalities could mesh ... checkmate.

And why would Romar come to coach at CU over going to Arizona?

And why would Romar come to coach at CU over going to Arizona?
Exactly. He's only 58. Arizona should be in the national title hunt next season. Type of job that should be a launching pad to getting a good HC gig again for 2018-19.

Thad Matta out at OSU.

This COULD have repercussions to the PAC 12, bc Sean Miller is rumored to be on OSU's radar. I don't think it'll happen, as Arizona is a much better job at this time, and I wonder if Sean is little miffed with OSU for firing his old mentor.

I find this move by OSU laughable. Yes, Matta has struggled recently, and his recruiting especially has been lackluster. Still, he is a solid coach that reached some great milestone achievements. Their next hire will likely not reach what Matta did, and maybe the one after that will somewhat approach Matta's success.

I sort of find parallels with CU bball. Some fans have gotten antsy with Boyle, because he's raised the bar for his own expectations. He has struggled some with recruiting over the years (in spite of last year's great class, we all have to admit he has struggled at times), and the on court product isn't as great as we expected based on the first few years' success. Still, Boyle is a solid coach, one of the best we've ever had. I sure as hell hope the administration doesn't prematurely pull the plug on Boyle's program. Any coach outside of the legends can be terminated, but they all deserve some rope based on what they've accomplished. I thought Matta's should be longer. I hope people at CU realize Boyle's should be long too.

Matta is a good basketball coach. Will be a great hire for someone.

Back