What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

Pac 12
USC- Clay Helton looks like his pants are a fire. The people of Troy do not suffer mediocrity well. And mediocre USC is with a Darnold-less squad led by Helton. Barring a late season run, Helton could be shown the door...although that is far from certain.
This still irritates me - the situation going on
At SC right now and we couldn’t capitalize on it. G’DAMIT!

Last edited:
So are we all off the Chiaverini train now?

I wouldn’t say I’m off the train but there is no doubt he has gotten a pass from the Allbuffs faithful.

I think it is fair to say that he is great recruiter but I’m not convinced he is a good coach.

His position group woefully underperformed last year and I thought his play calling against USC was atrocious.

I guess I was expecting an offense with a little more TT or WSU influence than what I’m seeing. Not sure if that is HCMM influence or what but I cannot for the life of me understand why you would try to establish the run against WU.

You have a great receiver group and maybe the best QB in the pac-12. Air it out fer crying out loud. Let’s see some bunch formations and pick plays and let’s get people open quickly. Spread em out!!!

Instead we try to put the game in the hands of our worst position group (O-line) and the results sucked.

Whatever happened to playing fast? That has been totally nonexistent the past two game and that is a mistake.

I’m watching what is going on at WSU with less talent and I’m starting to scratch my head. I’ve been a HCMM defender but they need to turn the corner. Stop overthinking it. Play fast and trust the guys you put on the field.

I wouldn’t say I’m off the train but there is no doubt he has gotten a pass from the Allbuffs faithful.

I think it is fair to say that he is great recruiter but I’m not convinced he is a good coach.

His position group woefully underperformed last year and I thought his play calling against USC was atrocious.

I guess I was expecting an offense with a little more TT or WSU influence than what I’m seeing. Not sure if that is HCMM influence or what but I cannot for the life of me understand why you would try to establish the run against WU.

You have a great receiver group and maybe the best QB in the pac-12. Air it out fer crying out loud. Let’s see some bunch formations and pick plays and let’s get people open quickly. Spread em out!!!

Instead we try to put the game in the hands of our worst position group (O-line) and the results sucked.

Whatever happened to playing fast? That has been totally nonexistent the past two game and that is a mistake.

I’m watching what is going on at WSU with less talent and I’m starting to scratch my head. I’ve been a HCMM defender but they need to turn the corner. Stop overthinking it. Play fast and trust the guys you put on the field.
I think there is an overestimation on how much Chiaverini controls offensively, and a commensurate underestimation on how much HCMM influences things offensively.

For HC? Who was actually on that train?
I have said before that Chev is going to be a head coach within the next 2-3 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was at a P5 program. I have also said that I don't think it's that far fetched for Chev to take over the Buffs, in the event MM leaves. Yes, that'd be a pretty big jump from him in basically 3-4 years time at CU, but I don't think it's out of the question, especially when some people are stating the top candidate on the list would be a guy like Jimmy Lake, who has a fairly similar coaching resume to Chev. I'm not a "Chev or bust" guy by any means, I just think it'd be foolish to just dismiss him.

I have said before that Chev is going to be a head coach within the next 2-3 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was at a P5 program. I have also said that I don't think it's that far fetched for Chev to take over the Buffs, in the event MM leaves. Yes, that'd be a pretty big jump from him in basically 3-4 years time at CU, but I don't think it's out of the question, especially when some people are stating the top candidate on the list would be a guy like Jimmy Lake, who has a fairly similar coaching resume to Chev. I'm not a "Chev or bust" guy by any means, I just think it'd be foolish to just dismiss him.

"Fairly similar" is being really kind to Chev. I like him and I think his growth as OC is going to take time, but Lake is the much better coach right now.

Excuse? Chiaverini is in his FIRST year as an OC and it’s a co-OC to boot. You don’t think HCMM is heavily involved in the offensive game planning? Come on.
I think HCMM's baby is the defense, not the offense. I bet he sets guidelines, but the offense by and large is going to belong to Chev and Adams. I'm sure HCMM has an influence on playcalling and gameplanning. But Chev is the guy there, and he got the credit when his offense was breaking records. He also has to take the blame that the last two games were two of the five worst offensive outputs in terms of yardage in HCMM's tenure, and the worst since 2015 (I think).

The first year excuse is a better one. He's never had coaches of this caliber on the other side. He's now had his generational talent sidelined. They now have film on more or less his entire offense, and meaningful numbers on his playcalling tendencies. USC, for example, destroyed him with that information. UW also adapted and won the final three quarters. So the easy part of his time as OC is over. To be a good OC, he's going to have to still be able to call a good game with those advantages gone.

Time for Chev to grow or time for him to be exposed. The blueprint has been put out there on how to stop this offense. If he can't deliver against OSU, be very, very, very worried. If he can, be excited!

pretty much nailed it. The receiving group this year isn't exactly tearing it up either. We have gotten pretty lucky with Viska and JMac just catches the ball - Take those two out of the equation then who do you have? I do agree with his recruiting being pretty good.

"Fairly similar" is being really kind to Chev. I like him and I think his growth as OC is going to take time, but Lake is the much better coach right now.
Chev has risen through the coaching ranks quickly, and his alma mater being involved has definitely helped that, but I just don't see a massive gap in the resume. I'll take your word on how good of a coach each are; I just don't believe it's out of the question.

I think HCMM's baby is the defense, not the offense. I bet he sets guidelines, but the offense by and large is going to belong to Chev and Adams. I'm sure HCMM has an influence on playcalling and gameplanning. But Chev is the guy there, and he got the credit when his offense was breaking records. He also has to take the blame that the last two games were two of the five worst offensive outputs in terms of yardage in HCMM's tenure, and the worst since 2015 (I think).

The first year excuse is a better one. He's never had coaches of this caliber on the other side. He's now had his generational talent sidelined. They now have film on more or less his entire offense, and meaningful numbers on his playcalling tendencies. USC, for example, destroyed him with that information. UW also adapted and won the final three quarters. So the easy part of his time as OC is over. To be a good OC, he's going to have to still be able to call a good game with those advantages gone.

Time for Chev to grow or time for him to be exposed. The blueprint has been put out there on how to stop this offense. If he can't deliver against OSU, be very, very, very worried. If he can, be excited!
Yeah, I'm sure MM has his hands in the offensive game planning and week to week strategy. Example being UW, where I'm sure MM had a major influence on the persistence to run the ball on 1st down in an attempt to be in 2nd and 3rd and short/mid, while draining clock, keeping things close in the 4th. Chev takes that directive and formulates his play call sheets and in-depth game plan.

pretty much nailed it. The receiving group this year isn't exactly tearing it up either. We have gotten pretty lucky with Viska and JMac just catches the ball - Take those two out of the equation then who do you have? I do agree with his recruiting being pretty good.

If anyone should get credit for Viska's performance, it should be Chev. Seems a little ridiculous to treat that as "luck." The WR injuries are actually a somewhat valid excuse right now. A lot of teams will struggle some with three top guys out (even Bama).

That does not mean Chev has been great the last couple games. A clear lack of adjustments is a problem.

The OSU game will be a poor gauge to measure the offense. It’s forecasted to be windy. I expect the Buffs to grind out a victory on the ground. The game’s likely to be satisfying but potentially rather boring.

The OSU game will be a poor gauge to measure the offense. It’s forecasted to be windy. I expect the Buffs to grind out a victory on the ground. The game’s likely to be satisfying but potentially rather boring.
If our offense can't overcome a little wind, that's not a good sign. It's not like they are expecting 60 mph gusts.

Wow. Long post. But I totally agree. Esp the run v UW.

When I stated lucky with Viska, I was referring to him having the natural (not coachable) talent to make plays. I feel Chev rode him and used him a little to much in the first 4/5 games. we all saw it. I don't see any other recievers being coached up. JMac, we knew what we had in him 2 seasons ago. Viska, a natural talent and extremely athletic kid, would start anywhere in the country. KDNixon, does what he does, not super dynamic and certainly not "coached Up". After that - Who else on the WR roster is being truly coached up? Last year was the same. Chev is a good recruiter who can sell Colorado. Play calling is very suspect and his position group is kinda underwhelming for the accolades that all the recruiting brought with them.

Back