What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

Let's be honest, though... Who here would not be slobbering all over themselves to see that, even given everything surrounding him?
No thanks. He is an asshole who cares very little for the players he coaches.

I'm sure he could lead CU to new heights, but I am not signing on for the cost associated with it.

This week may bring the beginning of the carousel's spin. I think there is a small probability we see somebody get clipped this week, more likely the axe will begin to swing next week.

Just for fun, who is likely to be calling Allied Van Lines soon?

Let's take a look:

Open Jobs:

BGSU- Mike Jinks out, Carl "no, that's my brother" Pelini at the helm. Names? who cares? (h/t Mtn.)

Potential openings:

UConn- Randy Edsall
Tulsa- Philip Montgomery
Louisville- Bobby Petrino
UNC- Larry Fedora
GT- Paul Johnson
KU- David Beaty (would be a shame because he has slowly shown progress in an almost impossible situation)
San Jose State- Brent "the Brenner" Brennan
UNLV- Tony Sanchez

Pac 12 coaches:

With AZ, ASU, fUCLA, Oregon St. and Oregon all sporting new HC's, I think it safe to say there will be no movement there, barring a Petrino-like foul up.
Stanford- Shaw stays as long as Shaw wants
Cal- Wilcox is showing enough life to be safe
UW- Petey is fine
WSU- The Pirate remains at the helm
CU- MikMac will be here for 2019
UU- I have never been able to figure that place out. Whittingham's relationship with the AD is rumored to put the "fun" in dysfunctional, so he could be fired or given a ten year extension for all I know.
USC- Clay Helton looks like his pants are a fire. The people of Troy do not suffer mediocrity well. And mediocre USC is with a Darnold-less squad led by Helton. Barring a late season run, Helton could be shown the door...although that is far from certain.

No thanks. He is an asshole who cares very little for the players he coaches.

I'm sure he could lead CU to new heights, but I am not signing on for the cost associated with it.
Urban may be an asshole in some regards, but I'm not sure what evidence there is that he doesn't care for his players. Wouldn't think twice nor apologize for loving the hire in that hypothetical world.

This week may bring the beginning of the carousel's spin. I think there is a small probability we see somebody get clipped this week, more likely the axe will begin to swing next week.

Let's take a look:

Open Jobs:

BGSU- Mike Jinks out, Carl "no, that's my brother" Pelini at the helm. Names? who cares? (h/t Mtn.)

Potential openings:

UConn- Randy Edsall
Tulsa- Philip Montgomery
UNC- Larry Fedora
GT- Paul Johnson
KU- David Beaty (would be a shame because he has slowly shown progress in an almost impossible situation)
UNLV- Tony Sanchez

Pac 12 coaches:

With AZ, ASU, fUCLA, Oregon St. and Oregon all sporting new HC's, I think it safe to say there will be no movement there, barring a Petrino-like foul up.
UW- Petey is fine
UU- I have never been able to figure that place out. Whittingham's relationship with the AD is rumored to put the "fun" in dysfunctional, so he could be fired or given a ten year extension for all I know.
USC- Clay Helton looks like his pants are a fire. The people of Troy do not suffer mediocrity well. And mediocre USC is with a Darnold-less squad led by Helton. Barring a late season run, Helton could be shown the door...although that is far from certain.
I think Helton is the only one who is fired, but could see both Leach, MM and Wittingham getting offers to go elsewhere and taking it.

Urban may be an asshole in some regards, but I'm not sure what evidence there is that he doesn't care for his players. Wouldn't think twice nor apologize for loving the hire in that hypothetical world.
Not to get too far down the rabbit hole, but his handling of Aaron Hernandez raises a lot of these issues for me. He had no interest in either getting Hernandez the help he clearly needed (Urban covered up drug tests and infractions) or making the choice to remove him from the team and increasing the team's safety.

Read this if you have the time
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...state-should-weigh-history-florida/893710002/

Let's take a look:

Open Jobs:

Potential openings:

UConn- Randy Edsall
Tulsa- Philip Montgomery
UNC- Larry Fedora
GT- Paul Johnson
UNLV- Tony Sanchez

Pac 12 coaches:

UW- Petey is fine

I wouldn't exactly say David Beaty is showing progress in Kansas. He'll likely finish the year with 2 wins in year 4. He has as many FCS losses (2) as P5 wins (2).

I wouldn't exactly say David Beaty is showing progress in Kansas. He'll likely finish the year with 2 wins in year 4. He has as many FCS losses (2) as P5 wins (2).
Yeah, but the signs of life are there. He is resurrecting a doormat at a Basketball school, so I give him some credit.

Let's take a look:

Open Jobs:

Potential openings:

UConn- Randy Edsall
Tulsa- Philip Montgomery
UNC- Larry Fedora
GT- Paul Johnson
UNLV- Tony Sanchez

Pac 12 coaches:

UW- Petey is fine
I admit I haven’t paid any attention to UNLV football, but your inclusion of Tony Sanchez on your list brings back memories of when he was hired straight out of Bishop Gorman.

When will college ADs learn to NEVER EVER hire a high school head coach to run your program, no matter how successful he was at his high school? It’s been tried, and it never works out. Ever.

We would get to pay him $6-7 million per year to get the doors blown off us by Cal or ASU 2-3 times a year.
I'm assuming this is in jest at him seemingly being good for one blowout loss a year to a mediocre BIG team and not a serious indictment on him as an elite coach.

I'm assuming this is in jest at him seemingly being good for one blowout loss a year to a mediocre BIG team and not a serious indictment on him as an elite coach.

Somewhat in jest, but I seriously wonder about his mental health these days. I could see him having a spectacular flameout at his next job.

I admit I haven’t paid any attention to UNLV football, but your inclusion of Tony Sanchez on your list brings back memories of when he was hired straight out of Bishop Gorman.

When will college ADs learn to NEVER EVER hire a high school head coach to run your program, no matter how successful he was at his high school? It’s been tried, and it never works out. Ever.
Probably at the same time fan bases stop turning to former players to right the ship. It will work out because he is a CU, Nebraska, Notre Dame, etc... guy. And yes, I thought it would work at CU.

Yeah, but the signs of life are there. He is resurrecting a doormat at a Basketball school, so I give him some credit.

I don't see how they can bring him back if he goes winless in conference for a second straight season.

I don't see how they can bring him back if he goes winless in conference for a second straight season.
I am not necessarily saying they should, just that it is a shame. KU is truly a complete rebuild job...I am not sure anybody short of Nick Saban is going to be able to win there at this point.

I can't think of an example in football where it did work out.

In <hold nose> Olympic sports </hold nose> there are examples.

Let's take a look:

Open Jobs:

Potential openings:

UConn- Randy Edsall
Tulsa- Philip Montgomery
UNC- Larry Fedora
GT- Paul Johnson
UNLV- Tony Sanchez

Pac 12 coaches:

UW- Petey is fine

Whittingham didn't get along with Chris Hill, but there's a new AD there now. He'll stay there.

I think Helton is the only one who is fired, but could see both Leach, MM and Wittingham getting offers to go elsewhere and taking it.
I guess that is possible, but some pretty good jobs would have to open to get KW, MikMac or the Crazy Pirate to bite.

Especially in the midst of a huge facilities and donor push for football. They’re positioning for a B1G invite.

Yeah I’d take him in a heartbeat. 6-7 years of dominance followed by 2 years probation sounds ok to me right now.

I guess that is possible, but some pretty good jobs would have to open to get KW, MikMac or the Crazy Pirate to bite.
Meh, I don't think it would take anything spectacular to pry Leach or MM away, just the right job, especially in Mac's situation (as has been speculated). I think there are programs who would be ready to throw a ton of money at Leach. Wittingham may be a different story, but to me, it feels like Utah is destined to be a pretty good, but never great program. All three coaches have done a pretty good job in various aspects at mostly middling programs in a second tier conference.

Meh, I don't think it would take anything spectacular to pry Leach or MM away, just the right job, especially in Mac's situation (as has been speculated). I think there are programs who would be ready to throw a ton of money at Leach. Wittingham may be a different story, but to me, it feels like Utah is destined to be a pretty good, but never great program. All three coaches have done a pretty good job in various aspects at mostly middling programs in a second tier conference.
The Pirate docking at SC would be pretty epic.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ti...changed-the-nfl-1540304231?mod=hp_major_pos25

Here's a really cool read on Leach's origin... sorry if you don't have a subscription, the Wall Street Journal is the only paper I've found that doesn't even throw a guest a free article or two before blocking em out.
Yeah I don't have a subscription. Klatt was on this morning talking about this and how it pertains to Mahomes' success coming from an Air Raid. He didn't cite specific examples, but he did say that Kingsbury and Lincoln Riley's version of the Air Raid is a little different and more NFL-friendly than Leach's version. Here's a good read that breaks down Riley's tweaks to it in OU.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...ey-oklahoma-sooners-offense-bob-stoops-legacy

Back