What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

He has taken a school that was traditionally a contender for the bottom of the league with Kansas and Kansas State to more often than not finishing in the top 25 with some top 10 appearances mixed in and a bunch of bowl trips. His leash is still going to be pretty long.

Have to wonder, and no indication but worth asking, if he hasn't gotten a little tired of it there and realized that no matter what he does he will never be the big dog in the conference. Okie lite has moved up a lot but they aren't Oklahoma and they aren't Texas. Might he seek greener pastures at some point.
Really it was Miles who built them from doormats into a perennial bowl team. But Gundy raised it from there and has sustained it for a long time. He's an excellent coach. Maybe he shouldn't have hired Stitt?

Really it was Miles who built them from doormats into a perennial bowl team. But Gundy raised it from there and has sustained it for a long time. He's an excellent coach. Maybe he shouldn't have hired Stitt?

Miles did a great job there but his best season was 9-4 and they never finished ranked. Gundy prior to this season has had one losing season there and ended the season ranked (in at least one major poll) 8 times in 13 seasons including #3 in 2011.

It may be though that with a resurgence at Texas and a number of other schools that recruit Texas heavily it is getting harder for him to recruit the guys he needs to keep up. Despite the winning he has accomplished how many people including recruits look at OSU as an elite program, an upper echelon should always be winning program?

Some of the fans and media aren't happy with Stitt but how much does that have to do with talent?

He has taken a school that was traditionally a contender for the bottom of the league with Kansas and Kansas State to more often than not finishing in the top 25 with some top 10 appearances mixed in and a bunch of bowl trips. His leash is still going to be pretty long.

Have to wonder, and no indication but worth asking, if he hasn't gotten a little tired of it there and realized that no matter what he does he will never be the big dog in the conference. Okie lite has moved up a lot but they aren't Oklahoma and they aren't Texas. Might he seek greener pastures at some point.
Nebraska? Imagine what that dude could do there.

Haha. Bob Stitt, the dude at CO Mines that the dopey Denver media was touting as a good choice for CU offensive coordinator and later, head coach. Went to Montana as HC and got fired after three seasons.

Miles did a great job there but his best season was 9-4 and they never finished ranked. Gundy prior to this season has had one losing season there and ended the season ranked (in at least one major poll) 8 times in 13 seasons including #3 in 2011.

It may be though that with a resurgence at Texas and a number of other schools that recruit Texas heavily it is getting harder for him to recruit the guys he needs to keep up. Despite the winning he has accomplished how many people including recruits look at OSU as an elite program, an upper echelon should always be winning program?

Some of the fans and media aren't happy with Stitt but how much does that have to do with talent?
To me it looks like the school where kids go when a) they don’t have the academic creds for OU it UT or 2) didn’t get recruited by those guys and they want to “Wild Thing Vaughn” their asses.

Haha. Bob Stitt, the dude at CO Mines that the dopey Denver media was touting as a good choice for CU offensive coordinator and later, head coach. Went to Montana as HC and got fired after three seasons.

Stitt is a great offensive mind. His problem is that he thinks that he can beat talent with scheme, it doesn't work that way.

As purely a consultant I'd love to have a guy like Stitt around. I wouldn't want him having final responsibility though for deciding what plays to run when.

He did a great job at mines because he lucked into a QB who was a talent well above D2 along with a couple of solid receivers and a decent line. When he got to Montana his stuff didn't work against better talent.

And the stupidest thing a team can do is listen to the media when it comes to hiring coaches.

Stitt is a great offensive mind. His problem is that he thinks that he can beat talent with scheme, it doesn't work that way.

As purely a consultant I'd love to have a guy like Stitt around. I wouldn't want him having final responsibility though for deciding what plays to run when.

He did a great job at mines because he lucked into a QB who was a talent well above D2 along with a couple of solid receivers and a decent line. When he got to Montana his stuff didn't work against better talent.

And the stupidest thing a team can do is listen to the media when it comes to hiring coaches.

The Denver media is the same group of dopes who contend themselves on doing nothing but feeding Bronco zombie 24/7/365...........and there's not much difference in behavior between Bronco zombie and Nub fan. I'd rather they not even bother on our staff, but half of them probably don't know who Shenault is.

The Gundy soap opera is interesting. Elevated expectations of boosters, fans, and the media are just part of it. Mix in one big doner with oil rig ego, a dose of AD with runny mouth (critical comment to the media about recruiting), a couple of pinches of head coach antics (flirting with the aileron and Tennessee jobs), stir, and bake at 450.

I suspect AD Holder will be job searching before Gundy, but the HC seat is starting to warm, a bit.

Stay tuned.

The Gundy soap opera is interesting. Elevated expectations of boosters, fans, and the media are just part of it. Mix in one big doner with oil rig ego, a dose of AD with runny mouth (critical comment to the media about recruiting), a couple of pinches of head coach antics (flirting with the aileron and Tennessee jobs), stir, and bake at 450.

I suspect AD Holder will be job searching before Gundy, but the HC seat is starting to warm, a bit.

Stay tuned.

Good post. Also good comment about fans and booster expectations.

A lot of big egos involved and Stoolwater is close enough to Texas (in more that geography) to have a lot of the same booster attitude that the Texas schools have to deal with. The big money guys all think they own the program and also think they have a right to give orders.

Good post. Also good comment about fans and booster expectations.

A lot of big egos involved and Stoolwater is close enough to Texas (in more that geography) to have a lot of the same booster attitude that the Texas schools have to deal with. The big money guys all think they own the program and also think they have a right to give orders.

I'd be shocked if they fired him, but I'd bet he gets involved at North Carolina, Louisville (using those two as examples because I think Petrino and Fedora are gone at the end of this year), or in some other search and Okie Lite doesn't put up much of a fight to keep him. Probably time for him to go somewhere else. Anybody seen any good pieces on where the carousel stands right now?

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if they fired him, but I'd bet he gets involved at North Carolina, Louisville (using those two as examples because I think Petrino and Fedora are gone at the end of this year), or in some other search and Okie Lite doesn't put up much of a fight to keep him. Probably time for him to go somewhere else.

Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery.

It may also get very ugly for the guy that follows him. Fans at most schools tend to think that they are better than they are. The Okie Lite fans are thinking they should be contending for the league and for the playoff. They aren't OU or UT, Hard to think of a coach who can do better than Gundy did there and they are going to have a hard time finding someone who can do as well.

I'd be shocked if they fired him, but I'd bet he gets involved at North Carolina, Louisville (using those two as examples because I think Petrino and Fedora are gone at the end of this year), or in some other search and Okie Lite doesn't put up much of a fight to keep him. Probably time for him to go somewhere else. Anybody seen any good pieces on where the carousel stands right now?
I haven't, but if I were a betting man, I think Fedora at UNC and Petrino at Louisville, as you point out, are likely goners. I would add Ash at Rutgers and Edsall at UCONN. You might want to throw in Whipple at UMass, but really, who gives a crap about UMass FB? Paul Johnson at GT is always seemingly teetering on getting dumped, Malzahn at Auburn, maybe, just because Auburn is constantly looking to fire somebody...but the buyout is steep, like $30 MM steep, I hear.

Neal Brown at Troy and Matt Campbell at ISU are the two names to look at when jobs come open.

Bowling Green is the first job to open up, but not a lot of people care.

I suspect we will see some jobs open around Halloween.

Last edited:
I haven't, but if I were a betting man, I think Fedora at UNC and Petrino at Louisville, as you point out, are likely goners. I would add Ash at Rutgers and Edsall at UCONN. You might want to throw in Whipple at UMass, but really, who gives a crap about UMass FB?

Neal Brown at Troy and Matt Campbell at ISU are the two names to look at when jobs come open.

Bowling Green is the first job to open up, but not a lot of people care.

I suspect we will see some jobs open around Halloween.
Scott Satterfield (Appalachian St) is going to get some looks.

Curious as to why? He's never coached in the NFL

Neither has Petersen and he’s also widely being seen as a possible NFL fit.

They in all likelihood have the traits NFL teams are looking for and believe their coaching styles would translate well.

Neither has Petersen and he’s also widely being seen as a possible NFL fit.

They in all likelihood have the traits NFL teams are looking for and believe their coaching styles would translate well.
I'm not trying to be argumentative about it, I'm just curious why certain guys are pegged as desirable NFL guys but others aren't, and specifically how that applies to Campbell (or Peterson). I'm personally all for it, tbh. The NFL is getting stale in its ways, needs fresh ideas and the most creative concepts in the sport are being done in college.

I'm not trying to be argumentative about it, I'm just curious why certain guys are pegged as desirable NFL guys but others aren't, and specifically how that applies to Campbell (or Peterson). I'm personally all for it, tbh. The NFL is getting stale in its ways, needs fresh ideas and the most creative concepts in the sport are being done in college.

Don't think Campbell is ready for the NFL yet-question you want to ask with that is do you want (insert name of college coach here) in charge of the Broncos if you're the GM?

Back