What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Buff offense

buffaholic

Club Member
Club Member
Good free interview with Coach Chev at Rivals on next year:

Discuss!

I liked this quote:
Chiaverini: "What's crazy is that you lose three guys that finish in the top 8 in the history of CU receivers, and we might have gotten a little better -- just because I think we've added the dimension of more speed on the field and size with speed.
That's what I was thinking as he ran thru the list of guys. We are actually stacked at WR perhaps.

Last edited:
I thought it was a very interesting article. Definitely agree that the turnover at receiver isn’t too much to worry about but losing Irwin and Lindsay is going to hurt McMillan helps a ton). Seems like those returning starter stats for the offense are a little misleading. Ross and fields underperformed last year and even Bobo was somewhat inconsistent. Adding ento should help a lot but most importantly our wr group looks a lot different physically. Combine those bigger receivers and a big physical RB and our offense looks like it will be a lot better getting those tough yards and making those tough catches. Brown is somewhat of an unknown but I do think he has similar speed to Ross so it shouldn’t be too hard to replace. I thought it was also concerning chev didn’t mention bell though, rumor was he was chevs favorite receiver out of that 2017 class so hopefully everything is going okay.

Lynott is a huge loss though, he was kicking some serious ass before he went down last year. He might be playing next year but I think it will take a while to get back to what he was. If we land tucker though I think there is a lot of potential there so take a step forward.

If the 4th receiver plays more snaps than Jones At Te I am going to be very disappointed. A te like him will always create matchup issues in the play action game that a 4th receiver doesn’t. I think sometimes offensive coordinators forget this especially with the emphasis on playing fast and not allowing the defense to sub so you can keep those big play matchups on the field.

Hopefully Adams can help keeping chev committed to the run game and a power run game at that, not the finesse type like Washington State.

At the end of the day, it's going to be my decision of what we're going to do...

If Montez can read coverages better, opposing defenses wouldn't zero on the most obvious target and everyone is dangerous as a result. If not, it wouldn't matter how good those WRs are. And due to the new RBs taking over, the WRs are going to have to catch the ball during the first two games of the season. And move the chains consistently. If not, I'd hate to imagine what would happen with the CU fanbase after a 0-2 start.

A change in QB coach will mean changes to the way we do some things. I found it interesting as well that Chev was very clear that he's going to do some things differently. I would NOT expect that to mean major changes to the offensive scheme though.

More consistent QB play and less breakdowns on the OL would improve things quite a bit in my estimation. The OL is one of those things that our guys can dominate in a play, but if one key block is missed, the play falls apart. Last year that was often the case.

Chev has mentioned at least twice about simplifying the offense. Less plays out of more formations. Less thinking = going faster. I believe this will help all the newcomers to the offense and help Montez as well.

It seemed like the Oline took a step (or two) back last year. Would like to see more consistency there...we definitely have depth, but would prefer if the same 5 starters were consistent throughout the year.

It seemed like the Oline took a step (or two) back last year. Would like to see more consistency there...we definitely have depth, but would prefer if the same 5 starters were consistent throughout the year.
The shuffling of lineups was a huge issue last year. They never had a chance to gel. Beyond that, there were some players who individually looked like liabilities last year, particularly in pass protection.

The shuffling of lineups was a huge issue last year. They never had a chance to gel. Beyond that, there were some players who individually looked like liabilities last year, particularly in pass protection.

Miller started at both Tackle spots.
Haigler started at RG, LG and RT.
Lynott started at RG and C.
Kaiser started at LT, RT, RG

Making a change due to injury or swapping out one guy for performance issues is fine, but those changes need to happen at the one position that's needed, and not create a domino affect where one injury or bad performance means 2-3 of the 5 OL spots get shaken up.

I don't have any inside information, but last year just made it feel like competition would be good for him - at all times.

We had a really good 2016 season, but the lack of competition for Sefo was a huge issue in 2014-2015.

Coaches also have to embrace playing backups a lot more. We enter way too many seasons with extremely inexperienced QBs.

The comment about the receiver competition was the most interesting!!! It is his position group, but I always get the sense that Mac preaches playing Seniors or older Juniors as much as possible, and what he does not realize is that it does not motivate either the older players to be pushed, or the younger players to be excited about getting playing time. It works for FCS or smaller schools, but not at this level. If we had this team fully pushed like an Alabama type of culture, we would have gone to a bowl last year! i.e, the starting receivers last year would have been Winfree and Shenault!!! With what Laviska did every time he touched the ball, why did he ever leave the field? Offensive Line needs to be wide open, the receivers need to be an entirely collective group and pull for each other, and the only good part about Lindsay being gone, is that the RB spot will be up for intense competition and I hope something special comes out of that.

I am in for competition and winning at every spot. QB is the most important. I think Montez at full go mentally and physically is the best option by far, but if we see bad body language, too many frat signs, and no leadership, and another QB can help us win, then put him in.

I am excited to see what happens with the offense, and I will bet all the kids are also.

I believe that Bobo, Fields and Ross are all among the Top 8 WRs all-time at CU from a statistical perspective. Hard not to roll with them.

Also hard to wrap my head completely around the idea that the 2018 WR corp could be better. But I think there's a lot to that.

I believe that Bobo, Fields and Ross are all among the Top 8 WRs all-time at CU from a statistical perspective. Hard not to roll with them.

Also hard to wrap my head completely around the idea that the 2018 WR corp could be better. But I think there's a lot to that.
I a saw a lot of drops from Fields and Ross last year. It looked to me like fields wasn't interested and played like he already accomplished everything he needed to accomplish. He deserved to be benched.

I a saw a lot of drops from Fields and Ross last year. It looked to me like fields wasn't interested and played like he already accomplished everything he needed to accomplish. He deserved to be benched.
I was really talking about who you start when heading into the season while also acknowledging that they deserve a longer leash because they've shown they can perform on the big stage.

By mid-season, I probably would have had Bobo & Winfree starting on the outside with Fields starting in the slot. Ross as my #1 in the 2nd slot. Then Shenault my primary sub on the outside, Fields getting some reps on the outside, and both Nixon and MacIntyre getting a good amount of run from the 2 slot positions.

All of us would have also kept Jalen Hurts in the National Championship Game!!!
Bobo fought hard to be a top guy and would be considered a starter, but Ross and Fields did look like they had maxed out in 2016 and were more proud to talk about the Blackout Boyz than to continue to improve. Curious to see how all 3 progress through the NFL Draft and UFA process. I think only Bobo has a chance and he is injured right now, am I correct?
Considering the ratio of catches to game changing moments, Shenault was freaky good, and Winfree was right there. Just seems like leaving them in and letting them sustain it would be a good sign to everyone.
Little Mac is a great kid and should get his snaps, cause he catches pretty much everything.
Nixon was never used correctly, and I see magic, but he will have to prove it.

Shenault, Winfree, Ento and Nixon should be a very solid WR group this year with some guys pushing them, too.
Interesting that Jay Mac has caught more big time catches than Nixon has had targets, yet you leave him out... I also would not leave out at least others.

Interesting that Jay Mac has caught more big time catches than Nixon has had targets, yet you leave him out... I also would not leave out at least others.
Isn’t JMac graduating? For some reason I thought all four of those guys were graduating.

Back