What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Buff offense

JayMac is one of the most overlooked WRs in CU history. He doesn't put up huge numbers, but how many times have we seen him make the touch catch when all the money was on the table? 3rd and 18 and we are out of options and there's JayMac making a catch for the first down in a crowd? He's no superstar, but he's earned his stripes here.

I'd throw in Tony Brown as well.
And then there's 5 other freshman (RS and true) and I don't think most of them expect that they should be sitting. This group is going to elevate in 2018!

JayMac is one of the most overlooked WRs in CU history. He doesn't put up huge numbers, but how many times have we seen him make the touch catch when all the money was on the table? 3rd and 18 and we are out of options and there's JayMac making a catch for the first down in a crowd? He's no superstar, but he's earned his stripes here.

I'd throw in Tony Brown as well.
And then there's 5 other freshman (RS and true) and I don't think most of them expect that they should be sitting. This group is going to elevate in 2018!
I like JayMac and think he brings some stability to the position at times. He gets thrown around a lot due to his name and his physical limitations, so I think that is why fans sleep on him. He is limited at what he can do, but will have a role in 2018.

I am excited to see what Tony Brown can do this year, but really think he could be the #1 or #2 WR in 2019.

I believe that Bobo, Fields and Ross are all among the Top 8 WRs all-time at CU from a statistical perspective. Hard not to roll with them.

Also hard to wrap my head completely around the idea that the 2018 WR corp could be better. But I think there's a lot to that.

I would have agreed with this prior to the 1st half of the ASU game. After that it should have been an open competition the last 2 and a half games.

Thou shall not question Fields on these boards! Can someone dig up the abuse I took for saying that was not one of the top WR corps in the country.

It seemed like the Oline took a step (or two) back last year. Would like to see more consistency there...we definitely have depth, but would prefer if the same 5 starters were consistent throughout the year.
Welcome to All Buffs.
96Buff, can you give him a proper welcome?

If there was a College 7 on 7 league, we would be a powerhouse program.
Mac's DB's smothering the field on defense, while Chev and his WR running routes and catching balls all over the offensive side of the ball.
Problem is you gotta have Linemen in 11 v 11, darn!
Those 3 guys working out will be fun to watch this year! The Blackout Boyz are now Blackout Men(z)

Putting together a depth chart for the offensive line next year was a lot harder than I thought it would be. The numbers in the younger years are great but we desperately need Moretti to come back or else Tackle looks like a tough position

LT: Miller, Moretti, Fillip, Vaughn
LG: Sherman, Polley, Roddick
C: Lynott, Pursell, Jynes
RG: Kaiser, Ray, Tonz
RT: Haigler, Middlemiss, Paige

Ideally you would love for Polley to take over the right guard position and have Kaiser be there for depth purposes. I am assuming Moretti will be back and ready for the season which is a huge if. I also put Paige at tackle even though he practices at both just for depth purposes. Most interesting will be to see how much bigger Vaughn is when spring ball starts. He was a skinny guy with a pretty big frame and solid athleticism on the basketball court as a junior that could provide some much needed depth. Overall guard looks to be pretty damn good for us going forward but tackle has some big question marks, especially if Miller continues to have injury issues.

I want to see what Tony Brown and Kabion Ento can bring.

Brown was recruited by Chev from Moschetti's program for those not following as closely as others. He had offers to Texas Tech, Colorado, Nebraska, UCLA, Purdue, Utah, WSU...

Kabion Ento is said to be the most athletic in the group, and we only got a glimpse of him. Another one of those Juco's that had no options out of HS, who had 3 to play 2 and used a redshirt in last year's logjam. They felt he would help them more this year than last (although I suspect that didn't work out as planned).

I have no problem projecting these guys as better than last year. I was never sold that any of last year's WR other than Bobo were PAC12 starters, and took slack for stating that. Now we are looking at a different ilk altogether. This is what P5 WRs look like on paper. Now do it!

Tony Brown 6'1" 190.
Laviska 6'1" 215
Winfree 6'3" 210
Ento 6'3" 185

Brown was recruited by Chev from Moschetti's program for those not following as closely as others. He had offers to Texas Tech, Colorado, Nebraska, UCLA, Purdue, Utah, WSU...

Kabion Ento is said to be the most athletic in the group, and we only got a glimpse of him. Another one of those Juco's that had no options out of HS, who had 3 to play 2 and used a redshirt in last year's logjam. They felt he would help them more this year than last (although I suspect that didn't work out as planned).

I have no problem projecting these guys as better than last year. I was never sold that any of last year's WR other than Bobo were PAC12 starters, and took slack for stating that. Now we are looking at a different ilk altogether. This is what P5 WRs look like on paper. Now do it!

Tony Brown 6'1" 190.
Laviska 6'1" 215
Winfree 6'3" 210
Ento 6'3" 185
Fields was a very legit Pac-12 starter. My issue was that at 5'11" he should have been in the slot once we had guys like Winfree and Shenault in the program.

Fields was a very legit Pac-12 starter. My issue was that at 5'11" he should have been in the slot once we had guys like Winfree and Shenault in the program.
I agree with the slot part. Fields often disappeared. He was Big Play Shay, but he was never Every Play Shay. And nobody blocked less than Shay. I am not going to re-debate it. It was my very unpopular opinion. Some on here were talking NFL draft for all of them.

Tony Brown 6'1" 190.
Laviska 6'1" 215
Winfree 6'3" 210
Ento 6'3" 185

Very curious about Brown considering what we have only heard.
Ento redshirting is another example of the Mac seniority system! Most athletic! Let's Redshirt that guy! Great idea Mac! It will work out, and if you remember him, he scored touchdowns just about every time he touched the ball.
Fields was a slot guy, just like Nixon is, but Nixon looks stronger, faster, and meaner.
Shenault and Winfree look like what guys like Julio Jones used to look like at Alabama.
I hope Roper can coach Montez and the QB's how to throw the Receivers open with back shoulder, jump balls, leading the receiver correctly, etc... Montez threw some death balls last year that cannot happen again!
I also hope that now that Chev has play calling and the WR group that he makes the routes a lot better and more creative. Our route trees and route running was a bit wonky. You can see guys not committed to running all the routes correctly and selling the routes better.
Very excited about these guys and the season, let's kick off!

There's so much to learn this spring about our OL, you can almost put that into a random number generator.

I'll be watching:
center position, as we know Lynott is out for spring. If Pursell or Tonz can take that next step, that shuffles the cards.
Health - Lynott, Polley and Ray all coming back from surgery. I believe Miller may have had another procedure as well.
Development - primarily, is Vaughn a player at this level or not? Again, I had heard good things a year ago or so. OL is a position where unrated guys can often develop quite a bit after high school. Has our staff done this and we just haven't yet seen results?
Youth - are Sherman, Polley, Ray, Moretti and Fillip ready? I happen to think Fillip is rightly in that group, partly out of need.

I concur that Haigler is probably back at RT, and that we should have a real competition on the interior. I suspect one or more of the young guys take a job right away in the spring.

Last edited:
Ento redshirting is another example of the Mac seniority system! Most athletic! Let's Redshirt that guy! Great idea Mac! It will work out, and if you remember him, he scored touchdowns just about every time he touched the ball.

I believe Chev made the decisions on who to play at WR, not MM. Ento was a SR, so the "famous seniority system" wasn't in play. They just felt he wasn't going to see as much time and they'd rather RS him than play him sparingly. I think that may have failed, but they weren't going to rip off the redshirt in game 9.

Did they play Shenault enough? That's a valid question, but I don't think it was because of a seniority system. There's lots of examples of younger guys playing over vets in MMs time. Lots. Is this really a thing or was this Mr. Sparaco talking? Seems to me that it was a tie breaker. Where did we see it besides with Shenault?

There's so much to learn this spring about our OL, you can almost put that into a random number generator.

I'll be watching:
center position, as we know Lynott is out for spring. If Pursell or Tonz can take that next step, that shuffles the cards.
Health - Lynott, Polley and Ray all coming back from surgery. I believe Miller may have had another procedure as well.
Development - primarily, is Vaughn a player at this level or not. Again, I had heard good things a year ago or so. OL is a position where unrated guys can often develop quite a bit after high school. Has our staff done this.
Youth - are Sherman, Polley, Ray, Moretti and Fillip ready? I happen to think Fillip is rightly in that group, partly out of need.

I concur that Haigler is probably back at RT, and that we should have a real competition on the interior. I suspect one or more of the young guys take a job right away in the spring.

I am most interested to see if our OL has the weight to hold up over a Pac-12 schedule. 300 seems like a tough weight for many of our linemen to crack.

Redshirting Ento was the right move. No reason to have him split time with Bobo for a year rather than be the man this season.

I am not saying that redshirting Ento was not the right thing, and he was a Senior, but was not a senior that had been with Mac from the jump. Based on our "System" it is what happens when you proclaim and anoint the super seniors as the "Blackout Boyz", and thus you find amicable solutions for the others. However, if Ento was one of the absolute best, and Winfree is unstoppable, and Shenault is a flat out playmaker, then it was not a full and fair competition. We are at the transition point between building a program, and finally having a sustained excellence program. I like Fields, Bobo, and Ross, and thought they would tear up the world last year because of how awesome they balled in 2016. I am pretty jacked that we have this current group of WR's this year because of the way it worked out, but it is an example of not pushing a position group to new levels, instead slotting your boyz into their spots and running with it. I do not believe that Chev had complete and final playing time decisions! I can see them sitting at that big conference table reviewing the depth chart each week, and Mac commenting about each player and position group and when say Shay Fields name comes up, Mac says, "Hey big play Shay will come around and make a big play sooner than later, we gotta keep rolling with him." And Chev says "OK, that's fine, you know Viska is ripping it up, but we will roll with Shay" That creates complacency and does not help Shay get motivated or pushed, and does not help Winfree or Shenault get on the field. It is a Win-Win-Win if you always default to competition. Shay gets motivated and plays like I think he was more capable of, Winfree and Shenault are excited about the chance to play and continue to make plays, and the Team could likely be better and maybe we win one more game. Montez, the sophomore got ripped, and benched, and had to compete for his job, and he responded pretty damn well. Benching Fields and Ross might have put them in a spot to respond with better play. I am probably full of it though and do not know for sure what happens in Mac's head, so I will just keep my opinions to myself.

I am not saying that redshirting Ento was not the right thing, and he was a Senior, but was not a senior that had been with Mac from the jump. Based on our "System" it is what happens when you proclaim and anoint the super seniors as the "Blackout Boyz", and thus you find amicable solutions for the others. However, if Ento was one of the absolute best, and Winfree is unstoppable, and Shenault is a flat out playmaker, then it was not a full and fair competition. We are at the transition point between building a program, and finally having a sustained excellence program. I like Fields, Bobo, and Ross, and thought they would tear up the world last year because of how awesome they balled in 2016. I am pretty jacked that we have this current group of WR's this year because of the way it worked out, but it is an example of not pushing a position group to new levels, instead slotting your boyz into their spots and running with it. I do not believe that Chev had complete and final playing time decisions! I can see them sitting at that big conference table reviewing the depth chart each week, and Mac commenting about each player and position group and when say Shay Fields name comes up, Mac says, "Hey big play Shay will come around and make a big play sooner than later, we gotta keep rolling with him." And Chev says "OK, that's fine, you know Viska is ripping it up, but we will roll with Shay" That creates complacency and does not help Shay get motivated or pushed, and does not help Winfree or Shenault get on the field. It is a Win-Win-Win if you always default to competition. Shay gets motivated and plays like I think he was more capable of, Winfree and Shenault are excited about the chance to play and continue to make plays, and the Team could likely be better and maybe we win one more game. Montez, the sophomore got ripped, and benched, and had to compete for his job, and he responded pretty damn well. Benching Fields and Ross might have put them in a spot to respond with better play. I am probably full of it though and do not know for sure what happens in Mac's head, so I will just keep my opinions to myself.

You sure said a lot for keeping it to yourself. Are you sure you are not me?

Or maybe none of that happened.....

I have no idea who made the call on sticking with the three seniors, but I agree we would have been much better off if we sat them and got Winfree, Shenault and Nixon on the field more. Better last year and better this year. Hopefully, we see the younger players get more of an opportunity to compete and get on the field this year.

Putting together a depth chart for the offensive line next year was a lot harder than I thought it would be. The numbers in the younger years are great but we desperately need Moretti to come back or else Tackle looks like a tough position

LT: Miller, Moretti, Fillip, Vaughn
LG: Sherman, Polley, Roddick
C: Lynott, Pursell, Jynes
RG: Kaiser, Ray, Tonz
RT: Haigler, Middlemiss, Paige

Ideally you would love for Polley to take over the right guard position and have Kaiser be there for depth purposes. I am assuming Moretti will be back and ready for the season which is a huge if. I also put Paige at tackle even though he practices at both just for depth purposes. Most interesting will be to see how much bigger Vaughn is when spring ball starts. He was a skinny guy with a pretty big frame and solid athleticism on the basketball court as a junior that could provide some much needed depth. Overall guard looks to be pretty damn good for us going forward but tackle has some big question marks, especially if Miller continues to have injury issues.

I tried the same exercise many times recently and get the same issues as you. Lynott healthy for fall camp/season is crucial.

Couple of thoughts on your depth chart: Roddick is probably earmarked for RG, not LG. While he is athletic for his size he is the perfect road-grading RG. Kaiser mostly practice and entirely played at Tackle positions in the past year so I can't see him moving inside in 2018.

Last year Tonz and Middlemiss also practiced at Center so you could see them competing along with Pursell in Lynott's absence.

Kaiser-Miller-Haigler seemed to yo-yo around so much last year that it makes it hard to gauge where they will land this year. I get the feeling the staff sees Miller as the favorite to be the LT as he got more looks at Tackle from mid-year on than Kaiser and Haigler finished the year off at RG.

Don't sleep on the walk-on transfer Jack Shutack (Jr) either; not sure he is an elite LT candidate but he has had a lot of time to develop off-the-radar and could hold-down-the-fort at one of the tackle spots until the underclassmen are ready.

LT: Miller (Jr); Vaughn (So); Moretti (rFr); Filip (Fr)
LG: Middlemiss (Jr); Polley (rFr); Ray (GsFr)
C : Lynott (Jr); Tonz (Jr); Pursell (rFr); Jynes (Fr)
RG: Haigler (Jr); Sherman (rFr); Paige (rFr); Roddick (GsFr)
RT: Kaiser (Sr); Shutack (Jr); Lytle (rFr); Paige (rFr)

As someone mentioned, we are still lacking size across the board with Kaiser and Tonz right at 300 pds and Roddick and Lytle going north of that; everyone else below.

Back