What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Buff offense

I think we as fans need to move on from the BB to LB dream. He has two years of eligibility left, and he is what he is... An OK rotational RB who provides decent snaps when needed as a FB/blocking type, and an excellent special teams player.

The guy I'm excited about for the future is Deion Smith. That was a 4* recruit if not for his injury. Legit 10.6 forty guy who I don't know we could have held onto if he had stayed healthy. I don't know if he'll be ready for 2018, but I think he's a future star for us. I like Fontenot a lot, too. It was huge, though, to land McMillian as a bridge to get to those guys sharing the load. If Evans is back to what he was in 2016 and Lee can give us a bit of what we've seen in flashes, I like this group. It's not the USC running back corp, but its solid.

I have seen nothing to suggest Beau is thinking about switching to LB other than it being a very popular topic for message board fans.
And a 4.5 100 meter?

The running backs look better as a group, at least potentially. While there are still a lot of undersized guys being offered, there do seem to be more big, three down types getting offers.

If McMillian has a big year, maybe it'll change to more of a back like him going forward. I would prefer that anyway.

And a 4.5 100 meter?

The running backs look better as a group, at least potentially. While there are still a lot of undersized guys being offered, there do seem to be more big, three down types getting offers.
Edited. Thanks.

Also, I think the "undersized" thing is way overstated. Fontenot is 6'0" 190. Smith is 6'0" 180. Bisharat is 6'2" 215. McMillian is 6'0" 200. Lee and Evans are short, but they're built like brick ****houses.

Seems to me that we're actually getting bigger at RB from where we had been. Still mixing in some smaller APB types like Broussard at 5'9" 170. But Davis (2019 commit) is 5'10" 180 as a junior. That's hardly a small RB.

Hell, I think you need some APB's in an offense like this. In the red zone i'd like a bigger back to finish drives. McMillan can probably do both so I hope we see that.

Edited. Thanks.

Also, I think the "undersized" thing is way overstated. Fontenot is 6'0" 190. Smith is 6'0" 180. Bisharat is 6'2" 215. McMillian is 6'0" 200. Lee and Evans are short, but they're built like brick ****houses.

Seems to me that we're actually getting bigger at RB from where we had been. Still mixing in some smaller APB types like Broussard at 5'9" 170. But Davis (2019 commit) is 5'10" 180 as a junior. That's hardly a small RB.

It is more about what they are looking for in RBs than just pure size though.

Fontenot had 91 total carries as a senior. Broussard had 67 total carries as senior. Davis had 900 yards rushing as junior (and the coaching staff offered him after seeing at WR in a 7 on 7 tourney).

Does that scream P5 RB group? Not really.

Fontenot had 91 total carries as a senior. Broussard had 67 total carries as senior. Davis had 900 yards rushing as junior (and the coaching staff offered him after seeing at WR in a 7 on 7 tourney).

To be fair, didn't Fontenot get hurt his Senior year? Wasn't he an absolute dude his Junior year with monster stats as the "backup"?

iirc from what I read previously, Smith averaged over 10 yards a carry as a junior and was at 9.7 with 156 yards per game as a senior ahead of the mid-season ACL.

iirc from what I read previously, Smith averaged over 10 yards a carry as a junior and was at 9.7 with 156 yards per game as a senior ahead of the mid-season ACL.

Which is fine. Take a chance on him.

But the recruiting as a whole has not been good. Fontenot better be really good (and outplay his recruiting rankings) or we are going to have issues this season and next.

The coaches are probably aware they were fortunate to get through the last two seasons with Lindsay taking pretty much all of the carries. I doubt you can count on being that fortunate going forward. Need at least two guys (ideally three).

Which is fine. Take a chance on him.

But the recruiting as a whole has not been good. Fontenot better be really good (and outplay his recruiting rankings) or we are going to have issues this season and next.
I hear you. We're not signing RBs like USC, UW, UCLA, Stanford and Oregon are. Probably also behind UA and ASU. Evaluations better be good because on paper we're in the bottom half of the conference at recruiting the position (maybe bottom 1/4).

I'm convinced, though, that unless you're signing the Top 25 at the position then it's a crap shoot among the 3* guys. I remember thinking that Lindsay was a bad signing. I remember thinking that Patrick Carr was a stud. I remember thinking that it was good when we passed on Adam Muema and let him get away to San Diego State. My track record hasn't been great on RB evaluations.

My track record hasn't been great on RB evaluations.
Which is why I cringe everytime Elway takes one in the top 3 rounds. I'm okay with what we've done with Carr, Bisharat, Fontenot and Smith. All were pretty decently thought of at the time. I don't trust Hagan's eyes to be honest, but Smith could be the stud here.

In the past 2-3 years our running play design has been pathetic, and is telegraphed far too much with little to no fly motion or pulling linemen, and average at best ball handling by the QB. Besides a good QB RPO, our running plays have not been the best, so I am truly looking for better design. If the ball handling is better, and if the WR group plays solid, then that could open up the running game. And of course, our OL has played like crap, so with a solid level of improvement things could get better no matter who the running back is. Honestly, what Lindsay did was amazing, and yet I feel like all he did was just hammer the hole and fight like hell to maximize whatever was there. A dancing bear like BB would have had half as many yards. I have the most optimism for the RB this year and although I love PL, I am looking forward to a fresh situation.

I would imagine that if o-lineman can not execute basic plays, that is block the person in front of them, they probably will be ineffective pulling.

The cold must be getting to you. After you were told (twice) the circumstances of Osborne’s vote, you asked again if the facts were “real.” Then for the third time someone had to repeat what anyone “who bleeds black and gold” already knows. Maybe stick with your presently underperforming hockey team-the Fighting Hawks.
What was that you said? /S

Didn't see this posted anywhere else...

Josh Kaiser looks to provide leadership, stability at right tackle

Lists some of the "first team" at offensive line:
LTLGCRGRT
HaiglerSherman?Pursell?MiddlemissKaiser
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

With Lynott out, looks like Middlemiss is getting the reps at RG. Figured Tonz might be getting some looks also at C with first team but haven't seen any reports about LG/C. Based on past comments would lean towards that being Sherman at LG and Pursell at C but is there anyone that has been to any practices or seen notes otherwise?

Didn't see this posted anywhere else...

Josh Kaiser looks to provide leadership, stability at right tackle

Lists some of the "first team" at offensive line:
LTLGCRGRT
HaiglerSherman?Pursell?MiddlemissKaiser
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
With Lynott out, looks like Middlemiss is getting the reps at RG. Figured Tonz might be getting some looks also at C with first team but haven't seen any reports about LG/C. Based on past comments would lean towards that being Sherman at LG and Pursell at C but is there anyone that has been to any practices or seen notes otherwise?
Pursell is getting the C1 reps. He was actually better than Huckins last year and MM considered pulling his redshirt after Lynott went down but decided not to since it was so late in the season.

Plenty of players work with the first team, I wouldn't read too much into him mentioning Middlemiss other than he is one of the older players.

Back