What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Buff offense

Yeah, I remembered he filled in at LT when Kaiser got yanked. CU's stat records only show 3 snaps vs UW and 11 vs UCLA but doesn't say which position and I couldn't recall.
This is about as good a time as any to review Miller's up/down season. Many of you know that I follow Miller as he's one of our local kids.

Miller DNP vs CSU (opener) as his knee was acting up.
In the Texas St. Game, he came in for Kaiser early and played 64 of the 77 offensive plays.
He then couldn't go against UNC and things were getting weird, having missed 2 of 3.
Irwin came back for game 4 vs. UW. Miller got in one series at LT.
Game 5 vs UCLA, Miller finished up at RT when Haigler got hurt. Kaiser DNP. I believe that was Miller's first game ever at RT.
Game 6 vs AZ, Miller played the whole game at RT.
Game 7 vs OSU, Haigler started at RT, but Miller came in and played most of the 2nd half when CU was scoring. It looked like he had locked down the job for the next 2.5 years.
Game 8 vs WSU, and 8 guys played a lot. Irwin was ejected, Huckins injuried. Don't remember who played where. Tonz played half the game and played pretty well.
Game 9 vs Cal, Kaiser started, but was pretty quickly replaced by Miller who played the rest of the game.
Game 10 vs ASU, Miller was supposed to start and couldn't go at game time. Very frustrating.
Games 11-12, Kaiser and Miller split RT, with Miller getting 98 to Kaiser's 49 snaps.

Weird injury he's having to deal with. He ended up playing 390 snaps, Kaiser played 420.
Miller was not available for 3 games (DNP).
Edit: Miller graded out as tied with Haigler for worst OL grades of anyone seeing 65 snaps or better. Hats off to Haigler who played all over the place to help out. Worth noting that Miller missed two OOC games.
Kough and Irwin actually had the highest grades..

Edited Conclusion: I think if he's healthy and able to do full leg workouts (which he could not do for 12 months starting fall 2016), Miller is a starting tackle, if he can stabilize on the injury and play one position. He's good. But he needs to be able to be squatting and practicing so we can find out how good. A lot of people who know a lot more about OL than I think sky is the limit. Hopefully he is 100% going forward.

Last edited:
Miller graded out as tied with Haigler for top OL grades of anyone seeing 65 snaps or better. Hats off to Haigler who played all over the place to help out. Worth noting that Miller missed two OOC games.
Kough and Irwin actually had the lowest grades, which was very disappointing.
Tonz actually graded the highest, but only played in 63 snaps. Would not write him off as so many seem to do.

I think you have the grading system backwards.

0.00 - 1.90 Phenomenal performance
1.91 - 2.09 All-Conference caliber
2.10 - 2.25 Starter caliber
2.26 - 2.40 Above Average
2.41 - 2.60 Average
2.61 - 4.00 Below Average
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2017 CU Line Grades (per CU's final stats book with # snaps in parentheses):
Phenomenal: none
All-Conference: none
Starter: none
Above Average:
2.29 Irwin (709)
2.31 Kough (907)
Average:
2.42 Huckins (591) and Lynott (709)
2.43 Kaiser (418)
2.47 Haigler (763) and Miller (390)
2.56 Tonz (63)
Below Average: none

When he is healthy Miller looks like a OT is supposed to look, he has good feet, moves laterally well, and has long arms that he uses well. He does a good job of keeping leverage on him man on uses his hands to keep the rushers out of his body.

He needed to develop more overall strength as he could get pushed around by the bigger, stronger D-linemen. This makes a lot of sense though because he has missed some big periods of time out of the weight room due to injury.

The biggest thing for him is that he just needs a change of luck in terms of those injuries. He has had a string of things that have to be tremendously frustrating to him. My worry is now that some of the injuries are going to be the kind of thing that never gets right, the knee sounds like it could be one of those things.

After all he has been through he is due for some good luck on the injury front and healthy he is one of our starting tackles, probably our LT.

Encouraging that Adams had so much praise about Chance Lytle in the recent article. Hopefully the light went on because he definitely has the size and athleticism to succeed.
And I liked that Adams made a point to say that guys moving around too much was part of the problem last year. We should be at a point where we have enough numbers and talent at each position that our 2 deep is really that and not just a "placeholder" depth chart.

The spring and fall camp will be really interesting to see how the "experience" battles against the "talented youth" for the starting spots at each position.

GroupingLTLGCRGRT
ExperiencedMillerTonzLynottHaiglerKaiser
Youth/TalentMoretti ShermanPursell PolleyLytle
WildcardVaughn Middlemiss Eggers PaigeSchutack
Red/Gray-shirts FilipRay (GS)JynesRoddick (GS)
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I put Haigler at RT since he played there (even more than Lynott did last year) so he is the most "experienced" returning player from 2017 at that position; not that he is "better" than Lynott or would have started over him. Miller and Kaiser were close at LT and overall snaps at tackle so I went with who the coaches seemed to favor at LT based on comments during 2017 and after. I put Tonz in at LG because RG was already taken and he does have PT at one of the guard spots.
This is NOT a "depth chart"; more of a matrix. You could easily flip some of the LT/RT and the LG/RG positions until we get better clarification in camp. And some players haven't found their permanent "home" position yet: Polley, Paige, Ray, etc.

Last edited:
I think you meant RG instead of RT for Haigler.

The Tackles available for Spring, from the articles I've read, are Miller, Haigler, Kaiser, Vaughn, Lytle and Shutack. Add Polley to that list because we're desperate and maybe we can find a couple serviceable starters.

I think you meant RG instead of RT for Haigler.

The Tackles available for Spring, from the articles I've read, are Miller, Haigler, Kaiser, Vaughn, Lytle and Shutack. Add Polley to that list because we're desperate and maybe we can find a couple serviceable starters.
Yeah, I hope Moretti can get healthy soon and make a challenge at tackle. With the injury to Lynott, we probably need Polley competing at one of the guard spots to provide some challenge there too. I agree that Haigler is a better tackle, and would trade him for Kaiser (probably a better guard than tackle).

I seriously doubt it. Filip and Jynes need to graduate from High School. Kanan Ray had surgery. So did Tim Lynott. Morretti is not mentioned in any preview articles.
Moretti not being mentioned tells you, unfortunately, everything you need to know.

Moretti not being mentioned tells you, unfortunately, everything you need to know.
Exactly. No grad transfers and no Moretti means the OL will likely be a rinse and repeat of last year's, well, less than stellar effort.

I think this year's OL will be more talented.
Where are the upsides compared to last year and two years ago? The promise is there. I agree with that. So much of OL play is about cohesion on the unit. Who will instill/lead that?

I hope you are right, but I do not see it.

Lynott, Irwin and Kough were the only reliable performers last year. Irwin and Kough are gone, Lynott coming off season ending achilles injury.

Kaiser is your lone senior. Huckins, not flashy, but he apparently was better than what was on the bench, also gone.

Middlemiss and Tonz, well, it is hard for me to see those guys cracking a two deep anywhere else in the conference. Miller looks good, but is rarely healthy. Haigler shows promise, but took a huge, inexplicable, step back last year.

Sherman and Polley are highly regarded, but still young. The rest are largely projects (i.e. not ready for prime time). Moretti, highly regarded, but still hasn't even so much as practiced, struggling with injury. If he is a no go this spring, I doubt he is going to be full speed in the fall.

So? LT- Miller (if healthy) and/or Haigler
LG- ????
C- Lynott (again, if healthy)
RG- ????
RT- Kaiser?

Those are a lot of question marks, at least in my mind. I hope I am proven wrong.

I hope you are right, but I do not see it.

Lynott, Irwin and Kough were the only reliable performers last year. Irwin and Kough are gone, Lynott coming off season ending achilles injury.

Kaiser is your lone senior. Huckins, not flashy, but he apparently was better than what was on the bench, also gone.

Middlemiss and Tonz, well, it is hard for me to see those guys cracking a two deep anywhere else in the conference. Miller looks good, but is rarely healthy. Haigler shows promise, but took a huge, inexplicable, step back last year.

Sherman and Polley are highly regarded, but still young. The rest are largely projects (i.e. not ready for prime time).

So? LT- Miller (if healthy) and/or Haigler
LG- ????
C- Lynott (again, if healthy)
RG- ????
RT- Kaiser?

Those are a lot of question marks, at least in my mind. I hope I am proven wrong.

I think there are valid concerns about OT, but I think the interior line should be very good IMO. Sherman, Pursell, and Lynott would be a very good trio, potentially a sizable upgrade over last season. The youth worries are overplayed IMO.

I think Haigler getting a look at LT could solve a lot of issues. The depth will be scary all season long, but if the big worry come September is RT, I think we are in a decent spot.

It's clear they think a lot of Pursell, most fans are sleeping on that fact. More talented though won't mean better. There's a learning curve ahead for Pursell and Sherman.

I also could see Haigler and Miller being pretty decent next year, with some stability, but depth is scary.

It's clear they think a lot of Pursell, most fans are sleeping on that fact. More talented though won't mean better. There's a learning curve ahead for Pursell and Sherman.

I also could see Haigler and Miller being pretty decent next year, with some stability, but depth is scary.

Pursell does seem to be getting a lot more talk than most of the young guys. Seems he may be the most natural center we have had in a while.

The learning curve will be there, but I do not think it is as steep as it appears.

Yep. As long as the size/strength is there, can't be afraid to go young. One of the best post-Barnett OLs we've seen was when MTM, Miller and Kai were playing as young pups. Grimes was such a good OL Coach, but if Adams is as good as the reputation he's developed in the Pac-12 and national media as an up-and-coming star, then he should be able to make it happen with some of these true and redshirt freshmen.

Yep. As long as the size/strength is there, can't be afraid to go young. One of the best post-Barnett OLs we've seen was when MTM, Miller and Kai were playing as young pups. Grimes was such a good OL Coach, but if Adams is as good as the reputation he's developed in the Pac-12 and national media as an up-and-coming star, then he should be able to make it happen with some of these true and redshirt freshmen.

Hell, we won the South in 2016 with Lynott and an undersized Haigler as redshirt freshmen.

If we can agree last year's line was pretty bad (say somewhere in the "D" range), an improvement with more talented players into the C+ range does not seem totally unrealistic.

Hell, we won the South in 2016 with Lynott and an undersized Haigler as redshirt freshmen.

If we can agree last year's line was pretty bad (say somewhere in the "D" range), an improvement with more talented players into the C+ range does not seem totally unrealistic.

I agree with this...coming out of HS. Lynott and Haigler were less regarded than Polley and Sherman. The OLine could be solid, as long as everyone stays healthy!

LT - Miller
LG - Polley
C - Sherman (If Lynott can't go)
RG - Haigler
RT - Kaiser

I could use a little sunshine up my skirt.

I agree with this...coming out of HS. Lynott and Haigler were less regarded than Polley and Sherman. The OLine could be solid, as long as everyone stays healthy!

LT - Miller
LG - Polley
C - Sherman (If Lynott can't go)
RG - Haigler
RT - Kaiser

I could use a little sunshine up my skirt.

I really think people should be prepared for Sherman and Pursell to be starters.

I also really have to question keeping Haigler inside and Kaiser outside (or anywhere for that matter). That lineup seems like the same weird experimenting which saw the 2017 OL go down in flames.

I really think people should be prepared for Sherman and Pursell to be starters.

I also really have to question keeping Haigler inside and Kaiser outside (or anywhere for that matter). That lineup seems like the same weird experimenting which saw the 2017 OL go down in flames.
I'm prepared to see 2 or 3 freshmen start with the right side of our OL being Lynott & Haigler.

Sounds like you guys are saying Kaiser will get beat out. So, if guys can get healthy and stay healthy, what are we hoping for?

LT - Miller
LG - Sherman?
C - Pursell?
RG - Lynott
RT - Haigler

Sounds like you guys are saying Kaiser will get beat out. So, if guys can get healthy and stay healthy, what are we hoping for?

LT - Miller
LG - Sherman?
C - Pursell?
RG - Lynott
RT - Haigler
That'd be my guess. Pray Miller stays healthy and Haigler becomes more consistent.

LT - Miller
LG - Sherman?
C - Pursell?
RG - Lynott
RT - Haigler

I would think, lynott, miller, sherman, moretti and haigler?

I would think, lynott, miller, sherman, moretti and haigler?
Moretti is highly doubtful to play. Apparently, he will not be ready to practice this spring. The recent OL puff piece did not even mention him. I think it is a fair guess his injury is not healed, and maybe even a reasonable assumption he is not going to ever play.

LT - Miller
LG - Sherman?
C - Pursell?
RG - Lynott
RT - Haigler

I think OT is completely up in the air and will not/should not be settled until into August practices.

Moretti is highly doubtful to play. Apparently, he will not be ready to practice this spring. The recent OL puff piece did not even mention him. I think it is a fair guess his injury is not healed, and maybe even a reasonable assumption he is not going to ever play.
His is a knee right but has nerve damage? That him or somebody else?

Back