What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Depth Chart Prediction

I know that's said tongue-in-cheek, but I certainly am excited to see Callier next year. He looked good at times as a freshmen pass rusher, it'll be fun to see if he takes another step as a sophomore.

Yes, I'm looking forward to what Callier and Sparaco can do. Also, good to see Edwards putting in the work this offseason, too. I expect him to be better next year.

I think this is a possible depth chart if all things come together...

QB: Steven Montez, Sam Noyer
RB: Donavon Lee, Beau Bisharat, Alex Fontenot, Deion Smith, Kyle Evans, Jarek Broussard
WR: Laviska Shenault, Juwann Winfree, KD Nixon, Kabion Ento, Tony Brown
TE: Derrion Jones, Chris Bounds, Jared Poplawski
OT: Aaron Haigler (possibly at Guard), Isaac Miller, Josh Kaiser, Josh Mcmullen,
OG/C: Tim Lynott, Colby Pursell, Brett Tonz, William Sherman, Grant Polley

DE: Chris Mulumba, Mustafa Noel-Johnson, Terrance Lang, Jase Franke, Terriek Roberts, Frank Umu?
NT: Javier Edwards, Lyle Tuiloma, Jalen Sami
OLB: Jordan Allen, NJ Falo?, Jacob Callier, Dante Sparaco, Terran Hassleback, Shamar Hamilton,
ILB: Davion Taylor, Rick Gamboa, Drew Lewis, Nate Landman, Jon Van Diest, Clyde Moore
CB: Delrick Abrams, Dante Wigley, Trey Udoffia, Anthony Julmisse?, Ronnie Blackmon, Derrion Rakestraw, Chris Miller
Buff Back: Evan Worthington, Ray Robinson
Free Safety: Aaron Maddox, Kyle Trego, Kevin George, Isaiah Lewis
Strong Safety: Nick Fisher, Kevin George, Isaiah Lewis,

You forgot Lytle, who I would almost guarantee is going to be listed above Noyer. Even if you disagree, you left him off entirely?

You forgot Lytle, who I would almost guarantee is going to be listed above Noyer. Even if you disagree, you left him off entirely?
I don't see how anyone agrees or disagrees. We haven't really seen Lytle you know.... He should be on the depth chart, the important one in this thread that is.

If Edwards and Gamboa win the starting jobs this year, then we are in trouble!!! They are not the level of athlete that is needed to be a great defense.

Also, if Taylor, Landman, or Van Deist were the ILB's, and Lewis was the Buff Backer, we would be a much more dynamic team, especially in the PAC 12 and against Nebraska. Lewis looks plenty fast and would be a huge upgrade to the smaller safeties that cannot hold the edge or play against TE's. Leave Worthington at Safety! The roster is getting better, the recruiting is slowly ticking up, but can this coaching staff focus and do the job this year? God help us and Go Buffs.

If Edwards and Gamboa win the starting jobs this year, then we are in trouble!!! They are not the level of athlete that is needed to be a great defense.

Also, if Taylor, Landman, or Van Deist were the ILB's, and Lewis was the Buff Backer, we would be a much more dynamic team, especially in the PAC 12 and against Nebraska. Lewis looks plenty fast and would be a huge upgrade to the smaller safeties that cannot hold the edge or play against TE's. Leave Worthington at Safety! The roster is getting better, the recruiting is slowly ticking up, but can this coaching staff focus and do the job this year? God help us and Go Buffs.
Lewis at Buff Backer is a fascinating idea to me.

Two players you have never seen take a snap at CU are the clear answer at ILB?

And who is going to play NT in place of Edwards?

Hey I get the lack of love (kind of) for Gamboa. He's not big and not fast. But he is a tackling machine and he plays reasonably physical on the interior, which Lewis struggles with.

You lose cred with me when you say the bold above. Of course we can be a great defense with Gamboa in there as a Senior, because we had a great defense when he was in there as a Sophomore. He's not the weak link guys. We have some much bigger holes at the moment starting with the interior DL vs the run and the lack of a pass rush.

Hey I get the lack of love (kind of) for Gamboa. He's not big and not fast. But he is a tackling machine and he plays reasonably physical on the interior, which Lewis struggles with.

You lose cred with me when you say the bold above. Of course we can be a great defense with Gamboa in there as a Senior, because we had a great defense when he was in there as a Sophomore. He's not the weak link guys. We have some much bigger holes at the moment starting with the interior DL vs the run and the lack of a pass rush.

Gamboa as a full-time starter is quite different than him being a rotational player. The coaches need to be more liberal with substitutions next season.

Define "Tackling Machine"?
Lewis had 94 tackles and Gamboa has 90 tackles to lead the team
In 2016 Olugbode had 115 tackles (Was there about 25 tackles that Gamboa missed or could have made?)
Historically, the top LB tacklers for the Buffs in the heyday were guys like Jordon Dizon (160), Greg Biekert (150), and Ted Johnson (147), despite having some really good linemen in front of them.
I do not hate Gamboa, I just do not feel that position is optimized, and as everyone mentioned, he played way too many snaps. Rick has contributed in many ways and that is appreciated, but just always want competition to make sure the best players are playing.

QB: Montez, Lytle, Sam Noyer, Stenstrom
RB: Boyd, Fentenot, Kyle Evans, Lee, Deion Smith, Jarek Broussard
FB- Bisharat
WR: KD Nixon, Winfree, Tony Brown, Laviska Shenault, Kabion Ento, McIntyre, Jackson, Walker, Bell
OT: Aaron Haigler Middlemiss, , Lytle
OG Sherman, Polley, Roddick, Jynes

C- Lynott, Pursell, Tonz
OG-Kaiser, Morreti
OT- Miller,Vaughn, Paige
DE: Mulumba, Antwine, Roberts
NT- Javier Edwards, Tuiloma, Sami
DE- Mustafa Johnson, Terrance Lang, Jase Franke
OLB- Callier, Hasselbach, Falo
ILB-Gamboa, Landman, Akil Jones
ILB-Davion Taylor, Drew Lewis,
OLB-Sporaco, Mathewes, Van Diest
CB-Miller, Udofia, Blackmon
S- Lewis, Maddox, Sanchez
S- Fisher, Trego

CB-Abrams, George, Wigley

Last edited:
Is Keeney going to be a Senior next year at TE? As far as I know he never played this year due to injury. Does he get Medical Redshirt?

Just thinking along the lines of whether or not Poplawski could be a non traditional redshirt candidate with Jones coming in, effectively as a Junior.

Is Keeney going to be a Senior next year at TE? As far as I know he never played this year due to injury. Does he get Medical Redshirt?

Just thinking along the lines of whether or not Poplawski could be a non traditional redshirt candidate with Jones coming in, effectively as a Junior.
It would only be the first season Keeney missed due to injury, I think, so he wouldn't get a medical hardship waiver for a 6th year on the eligibility clock.

Go back and look at where Gamboa is making the majority of his tackles....5-7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage..very rare does he make a play in the backfield or heaven forbid at the line of scrimmage....Plays hard for sure but clearly outgunned, Go with some of the younger ILB’s with less experience that look to be more athletic

Go back and look at where Gamboa is making the majority of his tackles....5-7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage..very rare does he make a play in the backfield or heaven forbid at the line of scrimmage....Plays hard for sure but clearly outgunned, Go with some of the younger ILB’s with less experience that look to be more athletic
No. He makes plenty of plays at the LOS. They just don't blitz him like they do Lewis. If anything, this is Lewis you should be inserting here. He is almost always the guy who shows when the running plays get to second level untouched.

No. He makes plenty of plays at the LOS. They just don't blitz him like they do Lewis. If anything, this is Lewis you should be inserting here. He is almost always the guy who shows when the running plays get to second level untouched.

Gamboa plays aggressively when he can. This last season very few LBs for the Buffs were making tackles close to the LOS because the DL was consistently getting pushed back. A year earlier when Tupou and Carroll were busy standing up OL at the LOS Gamboa made plenty of tackles for little or no gain and sometimes even had gaps to shoot into the backfield.

I'd love to have a bigger more athletic guy out there for us but Gamboa has earned his time and I'm glad we have him. Hopefully this year we will have one or more of the young guys step up and Gamboa's time will be more situational so he isn't being asked to do the things he isn't equipped to do like cover a RB out of the backfield on third and obvious passing situations.

Gamboa plays aggressively when he can. This last season very few LBs for the Buffs were making tackles close to the LOS because the DL was consistently getting pushed back. A year earlier when Tupou and Carroll were busy standing up OL at the LOS Gamboa made plenty of tackles for little or no gain and sometimes even had gaps to shoot into the backfield.

I'd love to have a bigger more athletic guy out there for us but Gamboa has earned his time and I'm glad we have him. Hopefully this year we will have one or more of the young guys step up and Gamboa's time will be more situational so he isn't being asked to do the things he isn't equipped to do like cover a RB out of the backfield on third and obvious passing situations.

Very fair assessment of how a solid DL can help an average linebacker get his tackles at the LOS. However, Landman blew that argument up, by basically making all of his dynamic plays on his own by shooting gaps like a bullet to make difference making plays. Gamboa should never be on the field for anything that is 3rd and 5 plus!!! Lewis is possibly out of position as well due to his explosive frame, but not a really low center of gravity. Gamboa has a dump truck for a back end and that helps him hold up against some guys, but he has no agility. Lewis is as close to a guy like Kam Chancellor and maybe he should be played as a box safety, or the Buff Backer. If we can continue to get bigger and faster in certain positions, that would be great. I have heard Lewis has better 40 times than many of our safeties.

Very fair assessment of how a solid DL can help an average linebacker get his tackles at the LOS. However, Landman blew that argument up, by basically making all of his dynamic plays on his own by shooting gaps like a bullet to make difference making plays. Gamboa should never be on the field for anything that is 3rd and 5 plus!!! Lewis is possibly out of position as well due to his explosive frame, but not a really low center of gravity. Gamboa has a dump truck for a back end and that helps him hold up against some guys, but he has no agility. Lewis is as close to a guy like Kam Chancellor and maybe he should be played as a box safety, or the Buff Backer. If we can continue to get bigger and faster in certain positions, that would be great. I have heard Lewis has better 40 times than many of our safeties.

You are right that a solid DL can help an average LB. A weak DL can also hurt even an above average LB.

A guy like Gamboa is better than the others we have at fighting off traffic. A big advantage he has is that he also is good at reading what is happening in the play and responding.

Landman is more explosive but can also get tied up in the traffic when the DL gets pushed and what would be a solid gain against Gamboa becomes a big yardage play as it goes by the less experienced LB who is muddled up with the LOS mess.

I agree that I don't want to see Gamboa on the field for 3rd and 5 plus (or for 2nd and 8 plus.) but until somebody else beats him out he is going to be our best bet in early downs and short yardage situations.

You are right that a solid DL can help an average LB. A weak DL can also hurt even an above average LB.

A guy like Gamboa is better than the others we have at fighting off traffic. A big advantage he has is that he also is good at reading what is happening in the play and responding.

Landman is more explosive but can also get tied up in the traffic when the DL gets pushed and what would be a solid gain against Gamboa becomes a big yardage play as it goes by the less experienced LB who is muddled up with the LOS mess.

I agree that I don't want to see Gamboa on the field for 3rd and 5 plus (or for 2nd and 8 plus.) but until somebody else beats him out he is going to be our best bet in early downs and short yardage situations.

The million dollar question is "How does someone beat him out?" if he gets the benefit of the doubt for seniority, and he will likely be a captain next year. I can see 1st down and some 2nd downs, but If these coaches are fully engaged this year and are trying everything they have in their toolbox to win, then we will hopefully and likely see Gamboa sub out on long yardage 2nd and 3rd downs and we go into an athletic zone defense that keeps the play in front of them and can cover the passing lanes.

I think this is a possible depth chart if all things come together...

QB: Steven Montez, Sam Noyer
RB: Donavon Lee, Beau Bisharat, Alex Fontenot, Deion Smith, Kyle Evans, Jarek Broussard
WR: Laviska Shenault, Juwann Winfree, KD Nixon, Kabion Ento, Tony Brown
OT: Aaron Haigler (possibly at Guard), Isaac Miller, Josh Kaiser, Josh Mcmullen,
OG/C: Tim Lynott, Colby Pursell, Brett Tonz, William Sherman, Grant Polley

DE: Chris Mulumba, Mustafa Noel-Johnson, Terrance Lang, Jase Franke, Terriek Roberts, Frank Umu?
NT: Javier Edwards, Lyle Tuiloma, Jalen Sami
OLB: Jordan Allen, NJ Falo?, Jacob Callier, Dante Sparaco, Terran Hassleback, Shamar Hamilton,
ILB: Davion Taylor, Rick Gamboa, Drew Lewis, Nate Landman, Jon Van Diest, Clyde Moore
CB: Delrick Abrams, Dante Wigley, Trey Udoffia, Anthony Julmisse?, Ronnie Blackmon, Derrion Rakestraw, Chris Miller
Free Safety: Aaron Maddox, Kyle Trego, Kevin George, Isaiah Lewis
Strong Safety: Nick Fisher, Kevin George, Isaiah Lewis,

Forgot about Jaylen Jackson and Maurice Bell at WR

The million dollar question is "How does someone beat him out?" if he gets the benefit of the doubt for seniority, and he will likely be a captain next year. I can see 1st down and some 2nd downs, but If these coaches are fully engaged this year and are trying everything they have in their toolbox to win, then we will hopefully and likely see Gamboa sub out on long yardage 2nd and 3rd downs and we go into an athletic zone defense that keeps the play in front of them and can cover the passing lanes.

I don't think it is just a question of him getting the benefit of a doubt for seniority. His mental game is well ahead of the young guys.

Other than that agree completely with what you say. Sub him out in those situations where his lack of pure foot speed is likely to hurt us by putting him in coverage in space on faster guys.

One other complaint I have since M2 has been the head coach is not taking advantage of situations to develop younger players. We go into our OOC games against teams we are dominating on the scoreboard and the older players are still playing late into the game. Same thing when we have a conference game that is clearly out of hand. Get the younger guys some action, let them see what game speed looks and feels like.

I don't think it is just a question of him getting the benefit of a doubt for seniority. His mental game is well ahead of the young guys.

Other than that agree completely with what you say. Sub him out in those situations where his lack of pure foot speed is likely to hurt us by putting him in coverage in space on faster guys.

One other complaint I have since M2 has been the head coach is not taking advantage of situations to develop younger players. We go into our OOC games against teams we are dominating on the scoreboard and the older players are still playing late into the game. Same thing when we have a conference game that is clearly out of hand. Get the younger guys some action, let them see what game speed looks and feels like.

His mental game just does not translate for me anymore. All these college programs look over to the sideline as a group to get the calls, and are not adjusted as much by the ILB/Captain. And unless his mental game can start "Transporting" him around the field, I just see him dead meat in space against the premier PAC 12 D1 playmakers. Ronald Jones and Tate literally froze his feet in the ground and zipped right by him. Landman is pretty much a rookie, and he just made plays the minute he was on the field. Why did we not see a time when Landman and Lewis were on the field together? I actually believe that college defenses should take way more risk and chances than they do. Trying to keep offenses in front of you, allowing long drives is not good for anyone involved! I like how Leavitt went tight man and then got really aggressive on blitzes and other coverage schemes. I like that mentality, especially in the PAC 12. If the other team scores here and there, oh well, defense is off the field, and offense is on the field with a chance to match the score.

His mental game just does not translate for me anymore. All these college programs look over to the sideline as a group to get the calls, and are not adjusted as much by the ILB/Captain. And unless his mental game can start "Transporting" him around the field, I just see him dead meat in space against the premier PAC 12 D1 playmakers. Ronald Jones and Tate literally froze his feet in the ground and zipped right by him. Landman is pretty much a rookie, and he just made plays the minute he was on the field. Why did we not see a time when Landman and Lewis were on the field together? I actually believe that college defenses should take way more risk and chances than they do. Trying to keep offenses in front of you, allowing long drives is not good for anyone involved! I like how Leavitt went tight man and then got really aggressive on blitzes and other coverage schemes. I like that mentality, especially in the PAC 12. If the other team scores here and there, oh well, defense is off the field, and offense is on the field with a chance to match the score.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Gamboa is a guy who makes good reads as plays develop. He is good at picking the right hole to fill and at anticipating the offensive players next move. He isn't going to make a lot of big plays for you but he also doesn't give up nearly as many.

They just need to make sure he isn't asked to do things he isn't prepared for like covering guys all over the field.

RB: Boyd, Fentenot, Kyle Evans, Lee, Deion Smith, Jarek Broussard
FB- Bisharat
WR: KD Nixon, Winfree, Tony Brown, Laviska Shenault, Kabion Ento, McIntyre, Jackson, Walker, Bell
OT: Aaron Haigler Middlemiss, Vaughn, Lytle
OG Tim Lynott,, William Sherman

C- Jynes, Pursell, Tonz
OG- Polley, Morretti, Roddick
OT- Kaiser, Miller, Paige
DE: Chris Mulumba, Roberts
NT- Javier Edwards, Tuiloma, Sami
DE- Terrance Lang, Jase Franke
OLB- Callier, Hasselbach, Falo
ILB-Gamboa, Landman, Akil Jones
ILB-Davion Taylor, Drew Lewis,
OLB-Sporaco, Mathewes, Van Diest
S- Lewis, Maddox, Sanchez
S- Fisher, Trego

Jynes starting at Center?

Jynes starting at Center?

Updated

RB: Fentenot, Kyle Evans, Deion Smith, Donovan Lee, Jarek Broussard
FB- Bisharat
WR: KD Nixon, Winfree, Laviska Shenault,Kabion Ento, McIntyre, Tony Brown,Jackson, Bell, Arias, Stanley, Thomas
OT: Aaron Haigler Middlemiss, Lytle
OG - Sherman, Polley, Jynes

C- Lynott, Pursell, Tonz
OG- Kaiser, Morretti, Roddick
OT- Miller, Vaughn, Paige
DE: Mulumba, Antwine, Roberts
NT- Edwards, Franke, Tuiloma, Sami
DE- Mustapha, Lang,
OLB- Callier, Hasselbach, Benion
ILB-Gamboa, Landman, Moore
ILB-Lewis, Jones, Van Diest
OLB-Taylor, Sporaco, Mathewes,
S- Maddox, Lewis, Hypolite, Sanchez
S- Fisher, Wallace, Trego

Last edited:
I doubt quite a few of those guys are here much longer to be honest. Im not gonna name them but some wont, pretty sure of that.

Back