What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Rocky Mountain Showdown (8/31)

Csu will come in more fired up after the penalty fiasco, they feel they got hosed. They have two legit wr's and rb's. OL isn't great and don't know much about hill or samuels. Their defense shouldn't be a concern.

Agree. Watched the 60 minute version of 2015 Stanford vs UW this morning in which Carta-Samuals played due to injury. He's going to be an upgrade over Stevens and ran the zone-tead effectively. In that game, he was a typical freshman but showed he is a P5 QB. He was less effective running other facets of the offense but he was a freshman and Stanford came after him.

Throw in that was three years ago all spent under Petersen since then.

I'd expect CSU has upgraded at QB. If their OL is good, and their OL are ALWAYS good, we have our hands full .

Buff fans should expect the Rams to play their super bowl. They are pissed. They have a tune-up game. Pick em.

Last edited:
I think CU wins comfortably, but to outright dismiss CSU's rushing attack seems a little silly.
They’re worse than LY in all phases. We are improved. They scored three points. This game will be u-g-l-y for state (with no alibi).

There is no excuse for us not to win this game, there should never be an excuse for us to not win this game.

That said the moment our players start believing that we can still get beat and beat bad.

This game is always important for CSU, it is their chance to gain what they think is respect in the state of Colorado. They aim for us, the work to beat us. They know that win this game no matter what happens otherwise many of their fans will consider it a successful season.

Knowing how ugly we looked against UNC last year and against some other opponents that we were supposed to outclass it is clear we can play down. Do that against a team like CSU that is at it's peak for you and yes you can lose. Shouldn't but it can happen.

That all said if we use them right we have some players that are very bad matches for CSU. Come out focused and put a bunch of points on the board early and take away their hope, then we can cruise like we should.

Agree. Watched the 60 minute version of 2015 Stanford vs UW this morning in which Carta-Samuals played due to injury. He's going to be an upgrade over Stevens and ran the zone-tead effectively. In that game, he was a typical freshman but showed he is a P5 QB. He was less effective running other facets of the offense but he was a freshman and Stanford came after him.

I'd expect CSU has upgraded at QB. If their OL is good, and their OL are ALWAYS good, we have our hands full .

Buff fans should expect the Rams to play their super bowl. They are pissed. They have a tune-up game. Pick em.
If this game is close, we're not going to a bowl. Simple as that. Period.

Boddie is pretty good. Izzy is fat and slow.
That said, CSU's running back corp. shows how ridiculous it is that CU has failed so miserable in recruiting running backs. You can go out and get a 6'0 210 5.5 3* anywhere, and they can produce right away. Running back is not a hard position to recruit, and I don't understand CU's tactics recruiting running backs. We constantly go after undersized guys.

Meh, more like CU working out the kinks still being plenty good enough to beat CSU handily in week one.

Handily? This offense scored a whopping 17 points last year and who knows what the defense will look like. I'd be more confident in a comfortable win until I look at cu's OL and DL.

Handily? This offense scored a whopping 17 points last year and who knows what the defense will look like. I'd be more confident in a comfortable win until I look at cu's OL and DL.
Well, it's gonna be a boatload better than last year.

Your opinion on RBs is questionable.
Not really. If you can give the guy a ball and he can get yards, he's serviceable. We gave Powell the ball for four years for Christ sakes. Izzy is slow though. Good feet, but CSU doesn't have a pro caliber player in their backfield. Neither do we.

Not really. If you can give the guy a ball and he can get yards, he's serviceable. We gave Powell the ball for four years for Christ sakes. Izzy is slow though. Good feet, but CSU doesn't have a pro caliber player in their backfield. Neither do we.

Yeah, really. You were still pushing Adkins hard last season as some sort of answer.

This game has to be taken very seriously. Expect a tough environment, including the potential for some subtle officiating bias. It will be hot and, as usual, they will be amped up for the biggest game of their season.

Treat this as a business trip. Carefully prepare and be mentally present for 60 minutes and the outcome should take care of itself.

Yeah, really. You were still pushing Adkins hard last season as some sort of answer.
Answer? No. He wasn't an answer, but he's a guy you could have given all of Bisharat's touches to, and he would have done more with them than Bish did. We didn't have a backup last year, but it doesn't mean you run Lindsay into the ground. Adkins, me, you, my 55 year old dad... anyone could have gotten 4 yards here and there, just to spell Phil. Adkins was just better suited to do it than anyone else we had last year that was healthy and not red-shirting, but Mac is a big believer in the dog house and doing things a certain way I suppose. I believe in giving the ball to strong bodies with some athletic ability.

Answer? No. He wasn't an answer, but he's a guy you could have given all of Bisharat's touches to, and he would have done more with them than Bish did. We didn't have a backup last year, but it doesn't mean you run Lindsay into the ground. Adkins, me, you, my 55 year old dad... anyone could have gotten 4 yards here and there, just to spell Phil. Adkins was just better suited to do it than anyone else we had last year that was healthy and not red-shirting, but Mac is a big believer in the dog house and doing things a certain way I suppose. I believe in giving the ball to strong bodies with some athletic ability.
And if you're going to say he wasn't serious about being a contributor or he didn't work hard in practice, well MM didn't really give him any reason to be a hard worker. Adkins isn't the only guy MM didn't give a **** about. He loves playing certain guys. Seniors chiefly among them.

I still have relatives and friends who truly think the game last year was fixed.
giphy.gif

https://coloradostate.sportswar.com/

And if you're going to say he wasn't serious about being a contributor or he didn't work hard in practice, well MM didn't really give him any reason to be a hard worker. Adkins isn't the only guy MM didn't give a **** about. He loves playing certain guys. Seniors chiefly among them.
You are so off base on Adkins. MM loved this kid and did everything he could to get this kid to use his talent here. Adkins btw is a very smart student and got a good and free education.

The reason to be a hard worker was to get PT. He didn't.

That said, CSU's running back corp. shows how ridiculous it is that CU has failed so miserable in recruiting running backs. You can go out and get a 6'0 210 5.5 3* anywhere, and they can produce right away. Running back is not a hard position to recruit, and I don't understand CU's tactics recruiting running backs. We constantly go after undersized guys.
Considering CU just had four years of a guy that now leads the school in yards from scrimmage it hasn't been all that bad.

I believe in giving the ball to players who can actually stay on the field. Crazy concept.

9/21 for 118 yards and a late garbage time td run means he is an upgrade over Stephens?

You are so off base on Adkins. MM loved this kid and did everything he could to get this kid to use his talent here. Adkins btw is a very smart student and got a good and free education.

Adkins was a talented kid both on and off the field. Using that talent takes a level of dedication and making certain sacrifices. As a football player Adkins wasn't willing to make those sacrifices.

It isn't an insult to him to say that excelling at football was not his priority. He did do what was needed to be a successful student and from all indications was a quality person off the field. No embarrassment in that what so ever but to be an effective RB at the P5 level takes more than talent and being a good person.

Adkins had every opportunity to be a key part of this team and didn't take advantage.

What kind of statement is that? Lol “if you mess up initially, you shouldn’t have to try hard to get back into good graces with the staff. You should just pout and continue being lazy because there’s 0 chance of anyone ever giving you a shot”

What kind of statement is that? Lol “if you mess up initially, you shouldn’t have to try hard to get back into good graces with the staff. You should just pout and continue being lazy because there’s 0 chance of anyone ever giving you a shot”
I'm saying the dog house is a ****ing joke.
Adkins was a talented kid both on and off the field. Using that talent takes a level of dedication and making certain sacrifices. As a football player Adkins wasn't willing to make those sacrifices.

It isn't an insult to him to say that excelling at football was not his priority. He did do what was needed to be a successful student and from all indications was a quality person off the field. No embarrassment in that what so ever but to be an effective RB at the P5 level takes more than talent and being a good person.

Adkins had every opportunity to be a key part of this team and didn't take advantage.
The only opportunity one can get is to get on the field and get touches. Was that opportunity given to anyone in the backfield? Was it given to Viska or Aintree last year. Opportunity is about playing, and if someone has talent, they should play.

Only way MM could have gotten anything out of him was play him. Just like any other player. You guys over complicate a very simple game. He did what was asked of him in every facet of being a student athlete at CU and watched guys like Bush and Powell get the ball. MM did nothing for him.

No.

This game has to be taken very seriously. Expect a tough environment, including the potential for some subtle officiating bias. It will be hot and, as usual, they will be amped up for the biggest game of their season.

Treat this as a business trip. Carefully prepare and be mentally present for 60 minutes and the outcome should take care of itself.
Exactly and, I know, I'm this mother****er.:D

Only way MM could have gotten anything out of him was play him. Just like any other player. You guys over complicate a very simple game. He did what was asked of him in every facet of being a student athlete at CU and watched guys like Bush and Powell get the ball. MM did nothing for him.

So every player on a scholarship should get a certain number of plays just to see if he can play. Great, lets bring out the orange slices and participation trophies as well.

I could be less polite but I will put it this way. Your post is flat wrong. As a student he did everything that was asked of him, congratulations. As a citizen he was exemplar, very noteworthy.

As a football player he didn't make the sacrifices. He didn't practice hard enough and he didn't play hard enough.

In earlier seasons he had his opportunities and he did well until he started getting hit. A reality of football is that you play hurt. The game is tough, the game is physical. Adkins had standout talent but as soon as he tweaked an ankle or bumped a rib his effectiveness went away.

Why did Phil get so many carries, so many plays? Simple, in addition to talent he put maximum effort, maximum sacrifice into every play. I can guarantee you that most of last season, just like earlier seasons if you were to see Phil in the locker room he would be sporting ugly bruises. He would have cuts and abrasions, and probably a good limp from stiff or sore or pulled muscles.

He got opportunities in practice. There is a doghouse but like every doghouse it has a big open door, that door is called practice. Show the drive, the desire, the willingness to stretch to the limits and the coaches will put you on the field for games.

Fans have their favorites and sometimes players flash talent that they unfortunately can't or won't bring consistently.

Coaches aren't stupid. Their career, their paycheck and their future relies on playing the guys who will win them games. I know of players that the coaches disliked strongly from a personality standpoint who got playing time because they brought what it took to win games. If Adkins was a better option than the guys getting the carries he would have been out there. He wasn't a better option so he didn't play.

Back