What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Rocky Mountain Showdown (8/31)

You seem to genuinely believe that everyone is deserving of playing time without proving anything on the field, although in this case he did get on the field and showed any injury made him ineffective. This isn’t little league flag football, this is division I football and not every kid is going to play if they can’t show in practice that they are better than the guy ahead of them or worthy of playing in relief duty. I’m not sure why you think laziness and a bad attitude after throwing away a first opportunity is acceptable and deserves another shot anyways?

So every player on a scholarship should get a certain number of plays just to see if he can play. Great, lets bring out the orange slices and participation trophies as well.

I could be less polite but I will put it this way. Your post is flat wrong. As a student he did everything that was asked of him, congratulations. As a citizen he was exemplar, very noteworthy.

As a football player he didn't make the sacrifices. He didn't practice hard enough and he didn't play hard enough.

In earlier seasons he had his opportunities and he did well until he started getting hit. A reality of football is that you play hurt. The game is tough, the game is physical. Adkins had standout talent but as soon as he tweaked an ankle or bumped a rib his effectiveness went away.

Why did Phil get so many carries, so many plays? Simple, in addition to talent he put maximum effort, maximum sacrifice into every play. I can guarantee you that most of last season, just like earlier seasons if you were to see Phil in the locker room he would be sporting ugly bruises. He would have cuts and abrasions, and probably a good limp from stiff or sore or pulled muscles.

He got opportunities in practice. There is a doghouse but like every doghouse it has a big open door, that door is called practice. Show the drive, the desire, the willingness to stretch to the limits and the coaches will put you on the field for games.

Fans have their favorites and sometimes players flash talent that they unfortunately can't or won't bring consistently.

Coaches aren't stupid. Their career, their paycheck and their future relies on playing the guys who will win them games. I know of players that the coaches disliked strongly from a personality standpoint who got playing time because they brought what it took to win games. If Adkins was a better option than the guys getting the carries he would have been out there. He wasn't a better option so he didn't play.
Total opposite of what I'm saying. You read it completely wrong. I'm saying hard work is great, but until the hard worker can do things on the field that the more talented player can't, hard work doesn't mean jack.

Also, lol at doghouses being wide open

You seem to genuinely believe that everyone is deserving of playing time without proving anything on the field, although in this case he did get on the field and showed any injury made him ineffective. This isn’t little league flag football, this is division I football and not every kid is going to play if they can’t show in practice that they are better than the guy ahead of them or worthy of playing in relief duty. I’m not sure why you think laziness and a bad attitude after throwing away a first opportunity is acceptable and deserves another shot anyways?
You seem to think that 2 or 3 carries is opportunity. Not mentioning the last two years the plays he was given, aside from the fumble, were no hope plays that no one could have saved.

Let me put it this way, noafter how hard a guy like Bish plays, his being the field is a detriment to the success of any play.

Playing Bish isn't winning football.

I'm done with this discussion. It's over and done with. I've never agreed with many of MMs personnel decisions, and I'm sure this year will be no different.

I'd be glad to discuss this further in Lincoln next month

9/21 for 118 yards and a late garbage time td run means he is an upgrade over Stephens?
Read the post again slowly.
That was 2015 and he had never seen action before. He was a freshman.

He got better as the game went on and he settled down.

He had a rough go of it, and I was clear about that.

Serious question: do the transfers and other recent non Colorado csu players even care about this matchup as anything other than just a normal game? I only ask because, as fans, we ascribe a lot of our own meanings and baggage to this contest. I see on this page how this is csu’s superbowl. For many of the players, this is a game against another opponent. It is against a school with more history, money, and better players... aside from that, is this contest anything else other than mwc scrubs hoping they can make hay in a game against a decent P5 program?

Serious question: do the transfers and other recent non Colorado csu players even care about this matchup as anything other than just a normal game? I only ask because, as fans, we ascribe a lot of our own meanings and baggage to this contest. I see on this page how this is csu’s superbowl. For many of the players, this is a game against another opponent. It is against a school with more history, money, and better players... aside from that, is this contest anything else other than mwc scrubs hoping they can make hay in a game against a decent P5 program?
Take a look at the photo’s of their new facility. Every picture in a game is the CU game. It is their red letter game. The coaches know that they won’t face the wrath of local fandom and admin if they win. The players are hero’s for the day if they win. Your perspective is right for our team, who recruits guys who want to play USC and UCLA. For CSU and their fans, the game is of distorted importance. This is also why it should cease.

Take a look at the photo’s of their new facility. Every picture in a game is the CU game. It is their red letter game. The coaches know that they won’t face the wrath of local fandom and admin if they win. The players are hero’s for the day if they win. Your perspective is right for our team, who recruits guys who want to play USC and UCLA. For CSU and their fans, the game is of distorted importance. This is also why it should cease.
in all fairness...Arkansas is playing at csewe the week after the RMS

in all fairness...Arkansas is playing at csewe the week after the RMS
And then they travel to The Swamp the week after. Lots of Super Bowls for CSU this year.

In all seriousness, the biggest reason CSU is able to make this game competitive most years is because they can spend all offseason and Fall Camp prepping for CU and only CU. That isn't the case this year with them having to prep for a conference game in week one.

And then they travel to The Swamp the week after. Lots of Super Bowls for CSU this year.

In all seriousness, the biggest reason CSU is able to make this game competitive most years is because they can spend all offseason and Fall Camp prepping for CU and only CU. That isn't the case this year with them having to prep for a conference game in week one.
I also think that CSU used to have a lot more players who were from Colorado. It seemed to mean more for that reason. Now it seems that CU has that edge. In fact, my impression is that Wyoming is recruiting more CO preps than CSU these days which is making that rivalry tilt in Wyoming's favor.

I also think that CSU used to have a lot more players who were from Colorado. It seemed to mean more for that reason. Now it seems that CU has that edge. In fact, my impression is that Wyoming is recruiting more CO preps than CSU these days which is making that rivalry tilt in Wyoming's favor.

True, one of the factors in the past was that CSU always had a number of guys from Colorado who had a big chip on their shoulders after being passed over by CU. In their minds they believed (as any good competitor should) that they were good enough to play for the "big time" program in the state and that getting passed over was an insult. Many had been in contact with CU coaches in the recruiting process and had camped or taken unofficial visits in Boulder.

You are right in that it seems a lot more of those types of kids are now going to Laramie.

That chip though is still there even when it is not from Colorado kids. CSU recruits a very similar footprint to CU. Lots of their California kids talked with CU coaches and wanted CU offers that never came.

Biggest factor though is still the fan influence. CSU players can't go without being asked about the CU game. In the dorms the regular students don't ask them about the Utah State game or even the SDSU game, it is are you going to beat CU.

For their fans the success of the season is heavily balance on the outcome of the RMS. Players and coaches can't get away from that.

I'm going to harp on this every year until it ceases. Fans taking an opponent seriously has no bearing on the outcome of the game.

Depends in how much stock you put into players "reading their press clippings".

Taking them seriously also helps temper the three mile island type meltdown should CU somehow lose.

Which is a very good thing (the game being important to CU). As long as we're playing, our Buffs are only going to win as often as they should in this if they care deeply about this game and respect CSU as an opponent.

In general, the RMS tends to play out the way it should. Very rarely are there flukes.

We beat them in 2013 almost entirely due to them not being able to cover PRich. We got beat up in 2014 by CSU and not surprisingly, looked pretty bad against the rest of the schedule while CSU won a bunch of games. We killed them in 2016 and ended up being a goid team while they hobbled to a bowl game. Last year, neither team looked particularly good and both teams just kinda stumbled through the whole season.

Back