What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Rocky Mountain Showdown (8/31)

Depends in how much stock you put into players "reading their press clippings".

Taking them seriously also helps temper the three mile island type meltdown should CU somehow lose.
The first part comes from the media, which in Colorado has never been biased toward CU over CSU, and if the players come out flat and play ****ty because fans aren't taking the opponent seriously, then that's 100% on the coaches for not having them prepared and focused.

As to your second statement, the CU fan meltdown happens when CU loses, regardless of opponent.

The first part comes from the media, which in Colorado has never been biased toward CU over CSU, and if the players come out flat and play ****ty because fans aren't taking the opponent seriously, then that's 100% on the coaches for not having them prepared and focused.

As to your second statement, the CU fan meltdown happens when CU loses, regardless of opponent.

I find it entertaining taking the goats seriously for 1 game a year. It makes the lead up to the game more enjoyable. It gets me pumped for the tailgate. It makes the experience at Mile High more enjoyable.

Guess that is just me.

I'm going to harp on this every year until it ceases. Fans taking an opponent seriously has no bearing on the outcome of the game.

I think it can in terms of fan support. Players love looking up and seeing a full stadium in support of them as opposed to a stadium half filled with apathetic fans. In that regard, it can make a difference.

I find it entertaining taking the goats seriously for 1 game a year. It makes the lead up to the game more enjoyable. It gets me pumped for the tailgate. It makes the experience at Mile High more enjoyable.

Guess that is just me.
Oh don't get me wrong, the CSU game is/was one of my favorite games of the year due to the rivalry I have with a lot of good friends that went the CSU. I definitely take that part of it seriously, but I just hate the idea that fans can somehow overlook an opponent and that affected the on-field play.
I think it can in terms of fan support. Players love looking up and seeing a full stadium in support of them as opposed to a stadium half filled with apathetic fans. In that regard, it can make a difference.
Agreed. I think fans should fill the seats regardless of opponent, so in that sense, you're right.

I'm predicting a 14 point win, but the game is decided more on a couple of explosive plays rather than dominance. I anticipate both Winfree and Viska making some big plays due to the CB situation with the Rams. That will end up being the difference and a lot of fun to watch.

Take a look at the photo’s of their new facility. Every picture in a game is the CU game. It is their red letter game. The coaches know that they won’t face the wrath of local fandom and admin if they win. The players are hero’s for the day if they win. Your perspective is right for our team, who recruits guys who want to play USC and UCLA. For CSU and their fans, the game is of distorted importance. This is also why it should cease.

In terms of photos, the facilities, etc. point, I think that’s all external to the players. Yes, it is a part of the build-up and tradition for fans and the supporters of each school’s teams. I don’t get the connection that their players have to this game.

As Nik points out later, this used to be a big game for them because their players felt slighted in recruiting by our coaches. Today, they recruit academic risks for P5 schools and meh players who are typical MWC caliber from all over.

I believe a lot of this game’s importance is inflated by our experiences as fans when this was actually more of a rivalry. Today it just feels like a warm up game against an average rival.

CSU's best teams are not deep.
We'd kill them every year at Thanksgiving. Play them early and spot them a tune up game? No thanks. We should win but that's too close of a margin.

Literally the last place you'd want to go to for football insight (whether it be into their team, our team, or anyone else's) is that gawdawful website.

I also think that CSU used to have a lot more players who were from Colorado. It seemed to mean more for that reason. Now it seems that CU has that edge. In fact, my impression is that Wyoming is recruiting more CO preps than CSU these days which is making that rivalry tilt in Wyoming's favor.

I also don't think Bobo and his staff are anywhere near the recruiters that Sparkles and his staff was when they were in FoCo, and I think there's also something to hiring guys who have experience coaching and recruiting in this part of the country when you have openings on your staff (Some exceptions-ShaDon Brown did a good job here last year, and he had never coached west of the Mississippi or in the P5). There's not a lot of that on that staff, and that's been that way since Bobo took that job.

The game is important to CU as well. Some of you act like it is still the mid-90s.

That's the most important game to us because its the next one. For them, its their season, and the only time they're guaranteed to get attention from the Bronco obsessed media in Denver. When we have a run like we did 2 years ago, the Denver media took notice. The only true rivalry we have IMO is Nebraska, and that's sadly been dormant the last several years. That said, if that series is a financial hit for both schools (given tickets to our game are double what their home date with Michigan State-who is a top 20 at worst opponent....looks likely) we'll find a way to play each other somewhat regularly. No series we have with any of the Pac 12 in football or basketball is there right now.

Last edited:
This game is important to me only because if they get a win, I have to deal with ****-talking Rammie friends. You know- the guys who, after the RMS, don't know who CSU is playing the following week or bother to attend another game the rest of the year.

You can choose to go with that narrative, but it is not really correct.

What makes you think otherwise? If this game were that big a hit, we'd have games with them somewhere on the books after 2020, and it would be much more popular than the riveting scrimmage the Broncos and Cardinals have every year that week. We don't. Brian Howell wrote a column in late June arguing for the series to go on hiatus, and he's the Mike Klis of CU athletics......he wrote that because RG isn't that interested (he said in the piece I referenced/linked below that he doesn't think its a big a game as people think it is) in playing CSU period in football after this contract ends, regardless what Joe Parker says about their "handshake" agreement.

http://www.buffzone.com/columnists/ci_31979530/howell-taking-break-good-cu-csu-rivalry

Again, the team treats it as more than just another game. From the coaching staff down to the players. Projecting your narrative on to how the team views the game does not make it correct.

How RG views the game is a separate issue.

Again, the team treats it as more than just another game. From the coaching staff down to the players. Projecting your narrative on to how the team views the game does not make it correct.

How RG views the game is a separate issue.

That's good for them, and that's the way it should be. I'd expect our players to get that fired up to play TCU when we open up with them in 2022 and 2023. Its a must-win every year for us, and I've never said anything to the contrary. The future of this series is a valid subject of discussion, regardless of our respective takes on the series.

That's good for them, and that's the way it should be. I'd expect our players to get that fired up to play TCU when we open up with them in 2022 and 2023. Its a must-win every year for us, and I've never said anything to the contrary. The future of this series is a valid subject of discussion, regardless of our respective takes on the series.

I am not sure what you are trying to argue.

Where did I say anything about the future of the series being a valid subject of discussion?

My whole point is the "CSU's Super Bowl" narrative is overplayed because the game is important to CU as well. That has definitely not always been the case.

I am not sure what you are trying to argue.

Where did I say anything about the future of the series being a valid subject of discussion?

My whole point is the "CSU's Super Bowl" narrative is overplayed because the game is important to CU as well. That has definitely not always been the case.

I was trying to explain the logic behind why I agree with that narrative, and you somehow thought I was trying to say this game was more important to their players than it was to players. You can agree with me or not, but I think the RMS is their Super Bowl because its the one week or stretch of the year where they're guaranteed to get attention from the Denver media because they're a lower priority for the sports media in this market than even we are. Look at the way the Denver media (Sure, it took them until November, but they took notice) covered our 2016 season versus the way they covered the 2014 version of CSU (that Ram team went 10-3 and was 9-1 going into a game with Air Force-which they lost. They were #21 in the country at that point........and did anyone care?).

Don't get me wrong-we HAVE TO win this game. There's no way we make the postseason without a win over CSU.

I was trying to explain the logic behind why I agree with that narrative, and you somehow thought I was trying to say this game was more important to their players than it was to players. You can agree with me or not, but I think the RMS is their Super Bowl because its the one week or stretch of the year where they're guaranteed to get attention from the Denver media because they're a lower priority for the sports media in this market than even we are. Look at the way the Denver media (Sure, it took them until November, but they took notice) covered our 2016 season versus the way they covered the 2014 version of CSU (that Ram team went 10-3 and was 9-1 going into a game with Air Force-which they lost. They were #21 in the country at that point........and did anyone care?).

Don't get me wrong-we HAVE TO win this game. There's no way we make the postseason without a win over CSU.

I know the logic behind the narrative and it is flawed.

The narrative relies on the idea that CU not treating the game as a true rivalry game and therefore CSU will always have a significant advantage in wanting to win the game more. That is false and it is not just an opinion. I do not know how to make it any clearer.

Guys guys, your both pretty!

I also don't think Bobo and his staff are anywhere near the recruiters that Sparkles and his staff was when they were in FoCo, and I think there's also something to hiring guys who have experience coaching and recruiting in this part of the country when you have openings on your staff (Some exceptions-ShaDon Brown did a good job here last year, and he had never coached west of the Mississippi or in the P5). There's not a lot of that on that staff, and that's been that way since Bobo took that job.

Would agree with this.

Seems like Bobo and staff are better coaches but not as effective at recruiting. Even a lot of sheep fans have acknowledged a gradual decline in their talent level.

Some of this has been due to taking a lot of risk in recruiting, guys who either never made it in or became attrition before they could contribute.

Bobo is going to be under some pressure this season. He took the CSU job with the idea of using it to step to a bigger position. He is at risk of stagnating into a rut he won't get out of and the roster for future years doesn't look like he is on an upward trend.

The narrative relies on the idea that CU not treating the game as a true rivalry game and therefore CSU will always have a significant advantage in wanting to win the game more. That is false and it is not just an opinion. I do not know how to make it any clearer.

Keep digging in there, Duff. I don't agree with you, and I don't think you understand the point I'm trying to make.

I hear the exact opposite from the fans I talk to, most actually think Bobo is a good recruiter but very questionable game manager.

Given Sparkles' extreme flameout at Florida (and really poor recruiting for that school), I am inclined to believe he did a masterful coaching job in 2014 and left them in bad spot recruiting wise.

Keep digging in there, Duff. I don't agree with you, and I don't think you understand the point I'm trying to make.

You are definitely correct there.

It should also be noted Bobo has been awful in rivalry games at CSU, it is one of the main criticisms of him as a head coach. The fans may place emphasis on the RMS than the coach does.

Back