What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Rocky Mountain Showdown (8/31)

Their D may not be as bad as last year, but I fully expect they'll start the year by giving up more than 25 to Hawaii and more than 40 to CU and after those two games their confidence may be destroyed. Hawaii's offense started off really well last year and then had injuries that really slowed them down (o line and WR). I'd be surprised if a full off season to prep for CSU's defense didn't lead to Hawaii putting up a lot of points (I'd expect a CSU win something along the lines of 31-28). CSU will play better against Colorado, but without the full off season to focus solely on CU, they will give up big points to Montez and company.

Very good point. After their FCS team, they travel to SJSU which has quite a lot of experience coming back. CSU could very well drop that game.

Going to be a tough season in Ft. Collins.

You might be putting too much emphasis on that 107th ranking when it comes to CU. Three new senior starters at WR and two senior starters at RB should offset some of those experience concerns. If we returned Lindsay or one starting WR from last season, we'd be more closer the middle rankings.

One number for CSU to look at is the % of offensive yards returning which is 21.8%. That in addition to a new OL...let's say Bobo leading the Rams to a bowl game this season will be a very good coaching job and perhaps his P5 ticket out of town.
Yeah, I feel like just about every national publication bases their preseason projections and rankings almost solely on returning starters/yards/tackles/INTs/etc. Obviously, there are too many teams to really dive into the potential of the new players being upgrades over the departing Seniors/draft picks, but that's why these preseason rankings are meaningless. CU fans have enough insight into these finer details of the team, and enough knowledge of what CSU has to understand there isn't a position group on the field where the Buffs are overmatched by CSU.

Good Lord. If we looked at offensive yards returning, we would be in a world of hurt. Lindsay, Fields, Bobo and Ross probably accounted for 80% or more of our offense last year. Unless Montez gets factored into those passing yards somehow. I’m not entirely sure how that works.

Good Lord. If we looked at offensive yards returning, we would be in a world of hurt. Lindsay, Fields, Bobo and Ross probably accounted for 80% or more of our offense last year. Unless Montez gets factored into those passing yards somehow. I’m not entirely sure how that works.
That's exactly how our Buffs are looked at from the outside. Lost all that production plus 3 starting OLs and need to replace a coordinator.

On defense, that we lost Oliver and the guys (McCartney & Jackson) who had most of our sacks and were two of our top TFL guys for a front 7 that struggled badly.

If you're evaluating 120 teams and not looking all that deeply, it looks brutal for CU.

OK, let me put it this way. Their starting center is a returning starter....or so they say. Total starts, 5 games. Also, he has short arms and this will hurt him going against a bigger, stronger, faster player. He doesn't have a chance against Edwards without lots of help.
Their starting Right Guard and Starting Left Guard are returning starters.....or so they say. Total starts, 3 games each. Neither excelled in the starts they did have.
Their starting right tackle, Ben Knox, is a monster and can flat out play. But the game against CU will be only his second at the D1 level. By year end he will be great, but in game two, expect major mistakes.
Their starting left tackle is TJ Roundtree, a guy who played at Louisville, but wasn't even good enough to make the two deep there last year. Like their right tackle, his start against CU will be the second of his career and given his limitations. He will be in big trouble all year long.

CSU's defensive line was pretty terrible last year.....at CSU's scrimmage the offensive and defensive lines were roughly equal....in this case equally bad.
CU is going to win this game going away.
Now everyone, please focus on the game that matters.
jake-cotton-hilarious-false-start.png
**** cornholio!

Despite their yearly sunshine pumping the reports on Samuels in their scrimmages have not been glowing. His completion percentage has not been high against their defense, a defense which has lost a lot from a team last year that wasn't exactly dominant.

Despite their yearly sunshine pumping the reports on Samuels in their scrimmages have not been glowing. His completion percentage has not been high against their defense, a defense which has lost a lot from a team last year that wasn't exactly dominant.

I don't see how we don't paste these guys right now. CSU had Stevens and Gallup and couldn't score a TD against one of the worst defenses in the sport last year. On top of a QB who struggles to complete passes, they've also got a whole new offensive line, and as you say, lots of youth on the other side of the ball.

Not sold on Carta-Samuels and neither is that coaching staff, given how they are rushing Hill back from his second ACL injury.

I do believe their defense is going to be improved, maybe substantially.

Better coaching and they do have talent in their secondary, just really young.
It’s young, but other than their secondary didn’t they lose a ton of starters? I think it could be better down the road, not game 1 or 2 though.

It’s young, but other than their secondary didn’t they lose a ton of starters? I think it could be better down the road, not game 1 or 2 though.
They seriously upgraded at DC. They have young talent, but I agree with Duff, they will be much better than the previous two years. Don't know if it will be enough to be a problem in game 2, but they will be better.

They seriously upgraded at DC. They have young talent, but I agree with Duff, they will be much better than the previous two years. Don't know if it will be enough to be a problem in game 2, but they will be better.
I know Jancek is a really good coach, but Leavitt didn’t seriously improve our D until year 2. Not saying he’s the end all be all of examples but I believe it’s comparable.

English was terrible but what has happened to Jancek's career lately? Doesn't really seem to be going well. No doubt an upgrade but we will see how far up they can go since they have a long way to go in terms of talent.

I know Jancek is a really good coach, but Leavitt didn’t seriously improve our D until year 2. Not saying he’s the end all be all of examples but I believe it’s comparable.

There was a sizable jump in year one under Leavitt (119th in scoring defense to 70th).

They do return a good amount of experience in their pass defense and I don't think Carta-Samuels was in for the spring since he was finishing up his degree at Washington in order to play this season.

Plus new D coordinator for the Rams and the same for the OC...maybe that is why Coach Bobo is in the hospital?

Back