What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Season Prediction Thread

How many wins this year?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The CU job is easy - be marginally competitive, pull top 75 recruiting classes regularly, make a bowl game at least once during every player's eligibility, and don't get really, really bad press. Do that and you'll have a job for a long time.
How difficult is it to meet the expectations necessary to remain employed - that's how I look at how hard a job is. Wilner is taking about how difficult it is to win which I agree is a different discussion.
I don't agree with your take on expectations at CU at all.
  • Barnett was fired after a 7-5 season. 5 Bowl Games and a conference championship during his 7 years.
  • Hawkins got 1-2 too many seasons because Bohn was still the AD and it was his hire. That was the wrong call.
  • Embree was fired after just two seasons.
  • McIntyre was rightfully given a lot of leash when the program was literally the worst among P5 teams. That leash has extended as far as it can. He now has to show he can win.
Hawkins is the only coach that got more time than he should have received.

I don't agree with your take on expectations at CU at all.
  • Barnett was fired after a 7-5 season. 5 Bowl Games and a conference championship during his 7 years.
  • Hawkins got 1-2 too many seasons because Bohn was still the AD and it was his hire. That was the wrong call.
  • Embree was fired after just two seasons.
  • McIntyre was rightfully given a lot of leash when the program was literally the worst among P5 teams. That leash has extended as far as it can. He now has to show he can win.
Hawkins is the only coach that got more time than he should have received.
Gary Barnett went 49-38 over 7 seasons when the Big 12 North was garbage. He had seasons where he won his division with 4-4 and 5-3 conference records. That's incredibly average and not sure he would have even been fired were it not for the scandal hanging over the program.

Hawk got 5 seasons despite doing really nothing to earn it. He went 19-39 and got 5 f**king seasons!!

Embree was a mistake of a hire. The first qualification in my original post was to be "marginally competitive" and he fell far short of that. Even still I believe he would have gotten more time if he hadn't been so cheap to fire.

MacIntyre had one really good season - he's won a total of 4 conference games in his other 4 seasons. His recruiting has been mediocre at best yet he still has a job here and got an extension last year.

As long as you are a moderately competent coach, this job is easy.

I feel like Colorado is positioned pretty well over the next 20 years or so since the biggest obstacle is lack of recruiting grounds and that seems to be getting better and better.

There is no reason for anyone in boulder to think asu should be a better job.

Macintyre has been the coach at CU for five seasons.

In those five seasons, he has had one winning season. We are all well aware of that magical season filled with mature, senior-laden NFL quality talent (especially on defense), a four year starter at QB, and one of the best DCs in the sport.

The other four seasons, Macintyre has averaged one conference win.
The other four seasons, Macintyre has averaged 3.75 wins per season.
The other four seasons, Macintyre has finished last in the Pac 12 South standings.

Even with a 10 win season, he has a 40% overall win percentage at Colorado. Even with an 8 win conference season, he has a 26.7% conference win percentage at Colorado.

Take out an aberrant season in 2016, his overall win percentage is 30%. Take out an abertant season in 2016, his conference win percentage is 11%.

Macintyre has not proven he can coach big time college football. As Macintyre’s mentor famously stated “you are what your record says you are”.

Dude cant close on the blue chip recruits. He has gotten a few but not enough to be competitive every year. Plus, his choice at DC is suspect and I think we will struggle again defensively. Winning an average of 1 game per year in the P12 outside of 2016 is an abomination. Much better talent than in those years. We will see if he can translate that into wins.

Phil Knight won’t live forever. At some point, the money spicket in Eugene runs dry. When that happens, the job at Oregon get a lot harder.

Gary Barnett went 49-38 over 7 seasons when the Big 12 North was garbage. He had seasons where he won his division with 4-4 and 5-3 conference records. That's incredibly average and not sure he would have even been fired were it not for the scandal hanging over the program.

Hawk got 5 seasons despite doing really nothing to earn it. He went 19-39 and got 5 f**king seasons!!

Embree was a mistake of a hire. The first qualification in my original post was to be "marginally competitive" and he fell far short of that. Even still I believe he would have gotten more time if he hadn't been so cheap to fire.

MacIntyre had one really good season - he's won a total of 4 conference games in his other 4 seasons. His recruiting has been mediocre at best yet he still has a job here and got an extension last year.

As long as you are a moderately competent coach, this job is easy.

The best comparison for Embree may be two of the last four Bronco coaches-Josh McDaniels was such a disaster he had to go, and Vance looks like he could be heading that way. His second team needed a miracle comeback in Pullman to avoid going 0-12. Agree with you on MM-its bowl or pink slip for me. No excuse that this team with this schedule misses the postseason for the fifth time in his six years here.

CSU-W
Nebraska-L
New Hampshire-W
UCLA-L
ASU-W
USC-L
Udub-L
OSU-W
Arizona-L
WSU-W
Utah-L
Cal-L

Mac will be on 950 at 12:30. I also heard Vic say his son just checked in at CU for his freshman year. Maybe Vic will “connect” with the Buffs?

Phil Knight won’t live forever. At some point, the money spicket in Eugene runs dry. When that happens, the job at Oregon get a lot harder.
Yeah. I doubt he endows the AD with, like, $1,000,000,000.

Beg to differ about your concept of “average”. It takes six wins to qualify for a bowl. 6-6 should be average, at least by record. Over half of all FBS teams (appx. 70) participate in a bowl game each season. Macintyre’s teams at Colorado have gone to a bowl exactly one time.

I keep reading here on AllBuffs that we have higher expectations than to be average. The AD expects championships sooner than later. We don’t have championship money raised, but we are supposed to be moving in that direction.

As I have for nearly my entire life, I will cheer for CU to succeed. I want CU to win every game (even if I don’t think we have a shot in hell). But, having been a CU fan since the mid 1980s, I am a realist.

Speaking realistically, we are in a bind with our current head coach. He has been good enough to get us out of the cellar, but not good enough to make our football team anything more than below average. I hope to be wrong about this year’s team.

Overall, I think basic questions about blocking, tackling, and generating pressure with this team largely remain.

Dude, when he took over we were a below average FCS team. We had a long way to go. Chill out. It is going on the right direction

Not that anyone gives a sh*t, but I'd rank them-

For Sustained Success
1. USC
2. Stanford
3. Oregon
4. UCLA
5. Washington
6. ASU
7. Colo
8. AZ
9. Cal
10. Utah
11. Wazzu
12. OSU

It doesn’t seem like that long ago when Stanford was one of the worst jobs in the country. Somebody decided to be good in football I guess,

Dude, when he took over we were a below average FCS team. We had a long way to go. Chill out. It is going on the right direction

The record doesn’t bear that out. We won the division two years ago and were DFL last year. Again. 4/5 years.

How is that the right direction?

The record doesn’t bear that out. We won the division two years ago and were DFL last year. Again. 4/5 years.

Lol. We were recruting at a MWC level. 2016 was the culmination of good coaching, experience and a bad PAC 12. If you actually believe that 2016 is an indicator on MM’s Inability to coach I feel sorry for you. In fact, it’s more impressive that he took such an underwhelming band of recruits and made them believe. CU is just now recruting at a level that could be middle of the PAC 12. You guys crack me up.

Last edited:

Colorado really wasn’t that bad last year or the year before “the rise”. Colorado could have easily been a solid bowl team the last 3 years in a row. A huge difference from the last two coaching tenures. We aren’t or haven’t been world beaters, but we have come a long way from the first few years in the PAC-12, both recruiting and on the field. We are continuing to get better. I am getting the sense that this year will resemble 2016 more than 2017. Remember CU’s “turning season” in 1986 was followed by a slight decline before a gradual rise.

Last edited:

You have to stop saying 4/5 losing seasons. For all you know Mac stays here for the next 10 years winning 8+ games a season with a national championship. It’s a sin the level of talent he inherited. 2013 and 2014 don’t count. 2017 was a bowl season but **** happens. This team is different, everyone close to the programs knows. 2017 there were reports of all sorts of distractions. This year the Buffs have one goal. Win.

You have to stop saying 4/5 losing seasons. For all you know Mac stays here for the next 10 years winning 8+ games a season with a national championship. It’s a sin the level of talent he inherited. 2013 and 2014 don’t count. 2017 was a bowl season but **** happens. This team is different, everyone close to the programs knows. 2017 there were reports of all sorts of distractions. This year the Buffs have one goal. Win.

I don’t have to stop saying anything. Four out of five losing seasons is a fact. Dead last in the divsion 4/5 years is also a fact. The record speaks for itself. A 10-win season is the statistical outlier. Macintyre’s real resume is averaging one conference win per season.

The main job of the highest paid public employee of the State of Colorado is to win football games. He has associated work and ethical/legal constraints; but, in the end, he is in a results business. He has not produced results.

Distractions on last year’s team not his fault? B.S. He is the head football coach. The buck stops with him. His team had a cupcake schedule and still found a way to go backward. Dead last in the division. Again.

Colorado really wasn’t that bad last year or the year before “the rise”. Colorado could have easily been a solid bowl team the last 3 years in a row. A huge difference from the last two coaching tenures. We aren’t or haven’t been world beaters, but we have come a long way from the first few years in the PAC-12, both recruiting and on the field. We are continuing to get better. I am getting the sense that this year will resemble 2016 more than 2017. Remember CU’s “turning season” in 1986 was followed by a slight decline before a gradual rise.

What about the composition of this year’s team resembles the 2016 squad?

Does it have...

Senior, mature four year starting QB?
Three standout secondary players who will be drafted and make NFL rosters next season?
A top three FBS defensive coordinator with the second best defense in the conference?

If it doesn’t have those things, does it have improvements in the above categories?

Your question is too stupid to dignify with a response

Since you’re not willing to answer, I will do so for you. “Going in the right direction” denotes improvement. The team regressed in a big way last season. We expected to have slightly less success given roster attrition. I don’t think anyone should’ve or could’ve expected Macintyre to be the first head coach in history the sport to go from national coach of the year to not even having a game during bowl season. The teams CU beat last season went 18-41 combined, including two FCS foes. Imagine the record if we played real teams.

I hope to be proven wrong. I’ve been a CU football fan for as long as I can remember. One thing I do at work is I look at someone’s track record. If an employee of one of my clients had Macintyre’s record, I’d recommend he be fired. I’ve already addressed many facts pertaining to Macintyre’s record. So far, the response has been a hope that the team will somehow resemble teams under Mccartney.

I hope so too.

What about the composition of this year’s team resembles the 2016 squad?

Does it have...

Senior, mature four year starting QB?
Three standout secondary players who will be drafted and make NFL rosters next season?
A top three FBS defensive coordinator with the second best defense in the conference?

If it doesn’t have those things, does it have improvements in the above categories?

Since you’re not willing to answer, I will do so for you. “Going in the right direction” denotes improvement. The team regressed in a big way last season. We expected to have slightly less success given roster attrition. I don’t think anyone should’ve or could’ve expected Macintyre to be the first head coach in history the sport to go from national coach of the year to not even having a game during bowl season. The teams CU beat last season went 18-41 combined, including two FCS foes. Imagine the record if we played real teams.

I hope to be proven wrong. I’ve been a CU football fan for as long as I can remember. One thing I do at work is I look at someone’s track record. If an employee of one of my clients had Macintyre’s record, I’d recommend he be fired. I’ve already addressed many facts pertaining to Macintyre’s record. So far, the response has been a hope that the team will somehow resemble teams under Mccartney.

I hope so too.

I never said we would be better than the 2016 team, just resemble it more than we will resemble last years team.

We have a veteran QB who has spent the entire off season working with a proven QB coach. Montez has looked much better in scrimmages this Fall camp. Last fall, he was horrible in those.
We have a year without off field distractions unlike a year ago.
We have a very favorable schedule.
We still have Future NFL DB’s.
We have actually reloaded and upgraded at WR.
The same might be true about RB.
Phil Steele even says we will be one of the most improved teams in the country. That guy is usually dead on about us.
If you spend anytime around this team like I have, there is a vibe and quiet confidence that you don’t see a program have every year. The vibe and feel reminds me of 2016 and 2001 early season vibes.

This is going to be a special season

I never said we would be better than the 2016 team, just resemble it more than we will resemble last years team.

We have a veteran QB who has spent the entire off season working with a proven QB coach. Montez has looked much better in scrimmages this Fall camp. Last fall, he was horrible in those.
We have a year without off field distractions unlike a year ago.
We have a very favorable schedule.
We still have Future NFL DB’s.
We have actually reloaded and upgraded at WR.
The same might be true about RB.
Phil Steele even says we will be one of the most improved teams in the country. That guy is usually dead on about us.
If you spend anytime around this team like I have, there is a vibe and quiet confidence that you don’t see a program have every year. The vibe and feel reminds me of 2016 and 2001 early season vibes.

This is going to be a special season

I appreciate that you’re swimming in the kool-aid. I hope you’re right, but I have my doubts. I’ve outlined my skepticism of the head football coach. You can disagree all you’d like. We’ve got to see it on the field.

Lol. We were recruting at a MWC level. 2016 was the culmination of good coaching, experience and a bad PAC 12. If you actually believe that 2016 is an indicator on MM’s Inability to coach I feel sorry for you. In fact, it’s more impressive that he took such an underwhelming band of recruits and made them believe. CU is just now recruting at a level that could be middle of the PAC 12. You guys crack me up.

Bad Pac 12? Disagree-USC did win the Rose Bowl, and Washington did make the CFP.

Back