What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 NCAA Tournament Thread

Eh, that’s a great Gonzaga team. Just played another great team. That’s what happens after the first weekend of the tournament.

Don't get me wrong they're obviously a very good team but I just think they're consistently overvalued coming into the tournament, this year included.

Don't get me wrong they're obviously a very good team but I just think they're consistently overvalued coming into the tournament, this year included.
I'm seeing that narrative a lot on twitter right now. I guess it comes down to how much people value them.

This year makes 3 trips to the Elite 8 in the last 5 years. That's rarefied air. Only a handful of programs can claim the same.

But if someone was valuing them to the point of thinking they should be making Final 4s instead of Elite 8s at that pace or that Few should have a national championship by now, then I'd agree they are over valued from that perspective. I just don't know of anyone who sees them that way other than people who have been burnt a few times picking them for the last weekend in their bracket. I haven't picked them once since I always figure it would be an upset if they met a 2 or 3 seed in the Elite 8 from a power conference that was playing well enough to advance to that point.

I'm never surprised when Gonzaga inevitably loses before reaching the Final 4 except once. This year's team had another great record against the same weak competition but against upper tier teams they went 1-2.
Gonzaga might be one of the most loaded teams in the country. Probably top 3 in terms of NBA talent.

They beat a #1 seed on a neutral court, beat the P12 champs, lost to a 1 seed on the road and a 2 seed at a neutral site. The overrated talk every year is weak. They can’t help their conference sucks. They’re still a damn good team and was deserving of their seed. They just got beat.

Purdue is quickly becoming my favorite team in the tourney ... with T-Tech a close second. I think that would be an awesome championship final game ... if only because it would mean there'd be no Duke or Kentucky there.

Gonzaga might be one of the most loaded teams in the country. Probably top 3 in terms of NBA talent.
Either them or Kentucky at #3 behind Duke and UNC, I'd think, in terms of the number of guys on their roster who should get drafted in 2019 and 2020.

However, I do think it's talent that has holes as a team. Still can't dominate the paint against top teams.

Can Purdue keep shooting like this? I haven't seen a team this hot from deep since... well, Auburn. But, still, this is insane.

Bombing away is a strategy to beat the pack line. Kyle Guy just rolled an ankle.

Okay ... a bit off-topic (but hey, it's halftime) ... am I the only one here that when he hears UVa's coach's name, gets this song in his head?:

SIAP (but didn't see it) but ...

ANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Auburn will be without one of its top players in Sunday's Midwest Regional final against Kentucky after learning forward Chuma Okeke tore his left ACL.

Okeke, Auburn's top rebounder and third-leading scorer, was injured in the second half of Friday night's Sweet 16 victory over North Carolina. He was the Tigers' leading scorer against the Tar Heels with 20 points.

Auburn buried No. 1 seed North Carolina with 3s on Friday night, draining 17 shots from distance on the way to a 97-80 victory over the Tar Heels.

The sophomore is scheduled to have surgery Tuesday with noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews.

These games today are examples of why I enjoy watching the college game more than the pro game.

No question that the pros are the elite of the game and some of the greatest athletes of any kind in the world. They have spectacular individual talents and even the marginal guys are amazingly good at the game.

What the pro game lacks though is this variety of styles, the match-up of two teams that play very different games trying to impose their game, their will on a different team. In the college game you can get important games where the less talented team wins based on coaching and style of play.

In the tourney you see how those match-ups play out. There are teams in this tourney that Gonzaga would likely beat that themselves would have a good chance to beat Texas Tech because of the way their styles and their individuals set up.

In the end the overall best team may not be the last one standing. Instead you get the team best at adapting to the teams they draw.

I'm not a Gonzaga fan but it would be good for college basketball if they could win a title.

They beat a #1 seed on a neutral court, beat the P12 champs, lost to a 1 seed on the road and a 2 seed at a neutral site. The overrated talk every year is weak. They can’t help their conference sucks. They’re still a damn good team and was deserving of their seed. They just got beat.

Sure these teams from small conferences can go out and win a game or 2 against elite competition but if they were playing in a major conference against top 50 competition on a regular basis they'd be looking at something like 14/15 wins in the B1G or 12-14 wins in the ACC, which means they would be somewhere in the 2-4 seed line.

Carsen Edwards is Kyrie. Like, even gets lost on defense too often like Kyrie. Another great game. The Elite 8 is always the highest quality games of the year.

Back