What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 NFL Draft Thread

How many guys that size ever got a chance? Do you seriously believe that the 1 inch between Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray makes all the difference in the world? Or the 4 inches between Murray and Mayfield? Or the 2 inches between Murray and Drew Brees, a Hall of Famer?

As far as I'm concerned, if you can play and have the arm, you can play. NFL franchises get far too hung up on sheer height coz the nonsense that is "NFL group think". And Elway is the ringleader there.

Wilson and Murray measured the same height at their respective combine workouts. Russ cut weight and Murray gained weight to be within a few pounds of one another. Russ has 1” bigger hands.

Last edited:
Wilson and Murray measured the same height at their respective combine workouts. Russ cut weight and Murray gained weight to be within a few pounds of one another. Russ has 1’ bigger hands.

I still don't see why Murray can't be a successful NFL QB.

Okay, I have no idea what the **** you’re talking about.
We have a Darth Snow here and someone was talking about being mauled by college OL that he could lift more reps than them. Darth Maul is a Star Wars character and if it wasn’t snow saying he would get mauled....a name change had to happen.

But it was 85. Hence my disappointment.

I didn’t make that argument. I was just responding to the other post about disparate height with other QBs.
Also, didn’t Mayfield measure at just over 6’0”? Murray case in at just over 5’10” so that’d be 2 inches difference by my count, not 4.

Shorter QBs don’t have much of a track record because they typically don’t get the opportunity to play the position at lower levels, leaving fewer that are able to advance and play QB in college and therefore the NFL. I’ve never seen a study that specifically ties height to QB success.

Also, didn’t Mayfield measure at just over 6’0”? Murray case in at just over 5’10” so that’d be 2 inches difference by my count, not 4.

Shorter QBs don’t have much of a track record because they typically don’t get the opportunity to play the position at lower levels, leaving fewer that are able to advance and play QB in college and therefore the NFL. I’ve never seen a study that specifically ties height to QB success.

That’s why I mentioned that him hitting 5’10” was big for my evaluation. I read that he was more like 5’8”.

Do you think Harper or Mahomes will make more over their career?

If Mahomes has a 15-20 year HOF career, he will probably crush Harpers total earnings.

The wild card people aren’t talking about here is what things look like after the new NFL CBA is worked out. I imagine the PA is going to demand some kind of stipulations for fully guaranteed contracts, and a salary cap that allows their elite contracts to get more in line with NBA and MLB.

Don’t take this personally, but there is no way Mahomes sniffs Harpers earnings.

Firstly, there’s precedent: only 1 NFL player has crossed the $240M earnings mark. 5 MLB players have. The highest paid MLB player earned more than 1.5X what the highest paid NFL player. The largest NFL contract ever was Luck’s $140M. There have been 39 MLB contracts larger than that.

Secondly, there’s the fact that Mahomes is already behind Harper- by age 23 Harper had banked about a million more than Mahomes, and Harpers yearly earnings starting st that age were higher than they’d been previously- Mahomes is under contract for 2 more years. There’s talk that he’s going to sign a record breaking $200m contract- even with that he’d need another $170million to match Harper.

Thirdly, we know that Harper will get $382 Million over his career at minimum. No NFL player has had a “15-20 year HOF career” and come within $130 million of Harpers earnings. to say that Mahomes would equal Harpers earnings would be saying that he’ll earn 160% of the highest paid NFL player ever. That doesn’t seem likely, although Peyton doubled the highest earner from when he was Mahomes age.

Finally, “crushing” his career earnings implies earning a lot more. Mahomes will struggle to just meet his earnings, let alone surpass them.

Why are we talking about Bryce Harper anyways? Talk about an overpaid, over hyped egotistical douchebag who is either fantastic or below league average every other year. I ****ing hate that guy and that’s why Papelbon punched him in the ****ing face. He is the kind of guy you can root to fail and not feel bad about it. Nolan Arenado is the most under rated MLB player and I’m glad the Rockies gave him what he deserved. He ‘may’ not have a 10.0 war season in him but he’s consistently great as opposed to when he chooses to be. **** you Bryce Harper and **** the Phillies and their fans too, their fans suck.

Last edited:
Why are we talking about Bryce Harper anyways? Talk about an overpaid, over hyped egotistical douchebag who is either fantastic or below league average every other year. I ****ing hate that guy and that’s why Papelbon punches him in the ****ing face. He is the kind of guy you can root to fail and not feel bad about it. Nolan Arenado is the most under rated MLB player and I’m glad the Rockies gave him what he deserved. He ‘may’ not have a 10.0 war season in him but he’s consistently great as opposed to when he chooses to be. **** you Bryce Harper and **** the Phillies and their fans too, their fans suck.

Nolan can be frustrating at times (probably true for every position player in baseball, a sport for which failure is the norm,) but I love watching Nolan play. Bud Black has to tell him to take days off, he plays hard every game. I've seen him make some of his best plays when the game isn't in doubt meaning he's playing hard anyways.

Easy guy to cheer for.

Don’t take this personally, but there is no way Mahomes sniffs Harpers earnings.

Firstly, there’s precedent: only 1 NFL player has crossed the $240M earnings mark. 5 MLB players have. The highest paid MLB player earned more than 1.5X what the highest paid NFL player. The largest NFL contract ever was Luck’s $140M. There have been 39 MLB contracts larger than that.

Secondly, there’s the fact that Mahomes is already behind Harper- by age 23 Harper had banked about a million more than Mahomes, and Harpers yearly earnings starting st that age were higher than they’d been previously- Mahomes is under contract for 2 more years. There’s talk that he’s going to sign a record breaking $200m contract- even with that he’d need another $170million to match Harper.

Thirdly, we know that Harper will get $382 Million over his career at minimum. No NFL player has had a “15-20 year HOF career” and come within $130 million of Harpers earnings. to say that Mahomes would equal Harpers earnings would be saying that he’ll earn 160% of the highest paid NFL player ever. That doesn’t seem likely, although Peyton doubled the highest earner from when he was Mahomes age.

Finally, “crushing” his career earnings implies earning a lot more. Mahomes will struggle to just meet his earnings, let alone surpass them.

So that was my initial thought as well, but almost every player used to measure against Harper has already retired or at the tail end of their career. I picked Mahomes because he might get close.

At 25 (2020) he will have made $16 million
Lets say he signs a $200 million/ 5 year deal that runs to 2025. He is going to get out of that contract at 30 years old and his next contract after that would be $250 million over 5. And still only be 35 when that deal is done.

So I just started looking over some data. Here are some random numbers:
NFL leads MLB by $3.5 billion in revenue, but has 1,696 players versus 864 in MLB.
In 2011 the average of the top 10 salaries in MLB was 23.2 million. while the NFL had a top 10 average of $15.7 million. ($7.5 million difference)
In 2019 MLB had an average of $32.1 million of while the NFL had an average of $26.7 million ($5.4 million difference)

MW-EQ612_sports_20160701120602_NS.jpg

Does Mahomes say no if you offer him 250 million fully guaranteed over ten years? No strings attached, the money is yours if you’re physically able to play football.

Does Mahomes say no if you offer him 250 million fully guaranteed over ten years? No strings attached, the money is yours if you’re physically able to play football.
If any player was offered something like that, I can’t imagine him turning it down, if for no other reason than the PA would probably “strongly suggest” him to take it to set the precedent going forward.

I feel like he is a great fit for the mlb. Might not hit that number, it’s almost impossible to do so. But he is a small guy with a great arm. He limits the strike zone with his size, and has a quick swing with some power behind it, and is fast as hell for running the bases and for fielding. The thing I think people are missing is that he can try baseball and if it doesn’t work out in the first couple of years he can peace out and go to the NFL and probably sign a contract worth what 20-25 million guaranteed? It doesn’t work the same way doing the opposite. So when people say he is getting 30 million guaranteed for being a first round pick they seem to ignore that he could probably get a good amount in 3-4 years going back to the nfl.
I disagree in the sense that right now, Air Raid style QB's are the flavor of the month in the NFL. In 3-4 years it might not be and he would have been 3-4 years away from playing Quarterback which is a position you probably can't just pick up and play at an elite level. He will also be 24/25 which is a lot "older" in NFL standards than it is in MLB standards. His best bet imo is to take the higher guaranteed money now by being a high 1st round NFL pick and if it doesn't work out, someone will give him a shot in the MLB. Hell Tim Tebow got an opportunity, someone will give Kyler Murray one if he wants it 3-4 years down the road. I can't say the same if he went baseball now and tried the NFL later on.

I disagree in the sense that right now, Air Raid style QB's are the flavor of the month in the NFL. In 3-4 years it might not be and he would have been 3-4 years away from playing Quarterback which is a position you probably can't just pick up and play at an elite level. He will also be 24/25 which is a lot "older" in NFL standards than it is in MLB standards. His best bet imo is to take the higher guaranteed money now by being a high 1st round NFL pick and if it doesn't work out, someone will give him a shot in the MLB. Hell Tim Tebow got an opportunity, someone will give Kyler Murray one if he wants it 3-4 years down the road. I can't say the same if he went baseball now and tried the NFL later on.
He can go back and try to play baseball but a) he isn't going to get near the contract that he as right now and b) it is much harder to come back to play baseball after a couple years off than it is football. Baseball is much more about skill and repetition than the NFL. Tebow plays in the minors he doesn't get paid anything and he wasn't even drafted so this is a different situation entirely. So, he can go to the NFL, get his guaranteed money at $30 million or whatever and if that doesn't work out he can go try to play baseball for a minimal amount of money (this has the much higher injury risk). Or he could play baseball, collect his rumored $10 million guaranteed and try to make it to the majors within 2-3 seasons. Then if that doesn't work out he can go back to the NFL and sign a pretty lucrative contract either way and it gives him the chance at one of those big, fully guaranteed MLB contracts. Murray would likely be called up the majors for atleast spot duty within his first two seasons based on the history of top 10 picks. I get that he shouldn't stick in the MLB for 5 seasons to see if it works out, he can likely make a pretty good decision early in his time there but anytime you are an NFL QB that plays at 5-10 and 190 pounds you should atleast try the majors to see if you are on track to be an all-star type player and let the fully guaranteed money flow in for a long, long time.

He can go back and try to play baseball but a) he isn't going to get near the contract that he as right now and b) it is much harder to come back to play baseball after a couple years off than it is football. Baseball is much more about skill and repetition than the NFL. Tebow plays in the minors he doesn't get paid anything and he wasn't even drafted so this is a different situation entirely. So, he can go to the NFL, get his guaranteed money at $30 million or whatever and if that doesn't work out he can go try to play baseball for a minimal amount of money (this has the much higher injury risk). Or he could play baseball, collect his rumored $10 million guaranteed and try to make it to the majors within 2-3 seasons. Then if that doesn't work out he can go back to the NFL and sign a pretty lucrative contract either way and it gives him the chance at one of those big, fully guaranteed MLB contracts. Murray would likely be called up the majors for atleast spot duty within his first two seasons based on the history of top 10 picks. I get that he shouldn't stick in the MLB for 5 seasons to see if it works out, he can likely make a pretty good decision early in his time there but anytime you are an NFL QB that plays at 5-10 and 190 pounds you should atleast try the majors to see if you are on track to be an all-star type player and let the fully guaranteed money flow in for a long, long time.
Right but you're saying he can go back to the NFL and sign a lucrative contract down the road. I don't see any team giving him a lucrative contract when he's been out of the game for a few years and on top of that, the Air Raid style QB might not even be in style any more. It could be but there will be new, younger QB's fitting that mold coming to the league as well.

Right but you're saying he can go back to the NFL and sign a lucrative contract down the road. I don't see any team giving him a lucrative contract when he's been out of the game for a few years and on top of that, the Air Raid style QB might not even be in style any more. It could be but there will be new, younger QB's fitting that mold coming to the league as well.
Former Heisman trophy winner and potential top overall pick in the draft coming back to football after 2 seasons is going to generate a ton of interest and money, there really isn't any doubt about that one. This league pays bad quarterbacks a ton of money all the time, let alone a guy that hasn't been shut down yet.

Back