What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 NFL Draft Thread

I thought it would be hilarious to go back and look for some hot takes in previous years, but I really couldn't find much without sifting through a bunch of garbage.

@Darth Snow 's weird obsession with Ryan Mallet (!) and how he was going to be pretty much the same or right behind Luck as an NFL QB is pretty funny though:
:ROFLMAO: I blame NCAA video games and a razorback roomy
I was right about Elway sucking at drafting offense tho!

Risner only got 23 reps yesterday on the bench press right? Concerning for a lineman. That is a pass/fail test at 25 or more reps according to Orlando Franklin and the scouting community.
Probably not ideal, I guess, but he dominated at the Senior Bowl and his tape suggests he can play.

I don't pay attention to ****ty SEC football, but is Metcalf a good player or is he an underwear olympics winner? Obviously a major physical specimen that I could totally see some team drooling over and taking in the 1st round, but 26 receptions for 569 yards and 5 TDs last year is pretty pedestrian.

If there's the one thing I would look for when drafting OL, it's 40 time!

I think the obsession with a player’s 40 time is weird as hell anyway as not even receivers need straight line speed over 40 yards all that often and it’s all about getting separation over the first 5-10 yards but for a center?

I don't pay attention to ****ty SEC football, but is Metcalf a good player or is he an underwear olympics winner? Obviously a major physical specimen that I could totally see some team drooling over and taking in the 1st round, but 26 receptions for 569 yards and 5 TDs last year is pretty pedestrian.

That's unhealthy if accurate. Body fat has to be higher than that simply to have healthy internal organs.

1.6%???? Wtf? That’s very unhealthy. 3-5% is about as low as anyone should be. That’s where I was growing up and you couldn’t pinch my skin, 1.6% is downright ****ing stupid. That’s crazy.

Risner only got 23 reps yesterday on the bench press right? Concerning for a lineman. That is a pass/fail test at 25 or more reps according to Orlando Franklin and the scouting community.

Such an over rated lift, I can’t believe they still use it.

Such an over rated lift, I can’t believe they still use it.
Probably because it's simple and gives them an easily understood baseline of strength that can be done very safely in a combine setting (as opposed to having them do power cleans or something).

Just like the 40 doesn't relate all that well to football but it is a good, simple indicator of speed relative to the other guys at your position.

The elite money in baseball is obviously much better than the elite money in football, but the path to that money in baseball is much harder and more uncertain than football. Kyler is 21 years old and is going to make ~$30m+ fully guaranteed (Top 5 pick) before he ever steps foot on an NFL field or proves that he is even a competent player. Harper had to wait until he was 26 AND he had to prove he was an elite player before getting paid.

:LOL:

If Foles is so great and has been all along, why could he only get backup jobs in 2016 and 2017? Why did Chip Kelly give up on him to get Sam ****ing Bradford? And why throw out his worst seasons but not his best? If you do that, you have a guy with 41 career TDs and 31 INTs.

Foles is Case Keenum. Limited sample size and he's been successful only with one franchise and mediocre everywhere else. W/L records for QBs are as irrelevant as they're for pitchers because it's still a team game.

Flacco sucks ass.

Flacco is a placeholder, Foles is a placeholder, Keenum is a placeholder. None of them is good enough to overcome a bad team around them, none of them is going to elevate an average team to above average.

The advantage to Flacco is that he is cheaper and there is very little financial commitment involved the moment they decide to move on. Somebody is going to be giving Foles a multi-year deal with a bunch of money guaranteed, Keenum got his two years of big money and if he goes someplace this year and has a good year somebody will give him another couple years of guaranteed money.

NFL keeps paying bad QBs lots of money because there aren't enough decent ones and you have to have a QB.

Calling bull**** on this. Ethiopian chicken hunters have more than 2% body fat.
1.6%???? Wtf? That’s very unhealthy. 3-5% is about as low as anyone should be. That’s where I was growing up and you couldn’t pinch my skin, 1.6% is downright ****ing stupid. That’s crazy.

Probably because it's simple and gives them an easily understood baseline of strength that can be done very safely in a combine setting (as opposed to having them do power cleans or something).

Just like the 40 doesn't relate all that well to football but it is a good, simple indicator of speed relative to the other guys at your position.

For sure, I can understand that. It’s just silly because you see over reactions about the sheer amount people can do. Strength isn’t always pushing a weighted bar off your chest. Football players are football players regardless of their bench. We seem to be on the same page in methodology though.

They aren't really asking much though. 25 reps for a 300+ pound lineman shouldn't be that hard.

Meh, yes they should and I would say most do. Some guys are elite lifters and some guys are great football players and some are both. I’m 5’7” and weighed 165 when i was 25 and could bench 325 and 225, 12 times. I guess it’s just not that impressive to me because I know I’m a bitch compared to these dudes and 10 reps or 50 reps any of them would straight up maul my ass regardless of how much they bench. It’s a decent indicator of strength for O-lineman and D-lineman but theres so much to the equation that to base anything off bench press is just silly.

Hahahaha. obviously he isn't Bryce Harper but 0% chance Murray sniffs $330mil over the life of his NFL career
I feel like he is a great fit for the mlb. Might not hit that number, it’s almost impossible to do so. But he is a small guy with a great arm. He limits the strike zone with his size, and has a quick swing with some power behind it, and is fast as hell for running the bases and for fielding. The thing I think people are missing is that he can try baseball and if it doesn’t work out in the first couple of years he can peace out and go to the NFL and probably sign a contract worth what 20-25 million guaranteed? It doesn’t work the same way doing the opposite. So when people say he is getting 30 million guaranteed for being a first round pick they seem to ignore that he could probably get a good amount in 3-4 years going back to the nfl.

Meh, yes they should and I would say most do. Some guys are elite lifters and some guys are great football players and some are both. I’m 5’7” and weighed 165 when i was 25 and could bench 325 and 225, 12 times. I guess it’s just not that impressive to me because I know I’m a bitch compared to these dudes and 10 reps or 50 reps any of them would straight up maul my ass regardless of how much they bench. It’s a decent indicator of strength for O-lineman and D-lineman but theres so much to the equation that to base anything off bench press is just silly.
I had to look fast to see who posted this before suggesting a name change to ‘Darth Mauled’

I was disappointed.

Hahahaha. obviously he isn't Bryce Harper but 0% chance Murray sniffs $330mil over the life of his NFL career

Back in August 2007 Eli Manning was the player with the highest career earnings at just over 200m. Stafford will have made 260m if he sees out his current contract, Rodgers will be at 313m.

With the cap on rookie contracts these days it's extremely hard to get anywhere near that number, especially as you need to keep proving yourself to get the money, Harper knows he'll have 26m coming his way no matter what in 12 years.

Back in August 2007 Eli Manning was the player with the highest career earnings at just over 200m. Stafford will have made 260m if he sees out his current contract, Rodgers will be at 313m.

With the cap on rookie contracts these days it's extremely hard to get anywhere near that number, especially as you need to keep proving yourself to get the money, Harper knows he'll have 26m coming his way no matter what in 12 years.
Harper also had to prove it for 5+ years before getting anything. Murray doesn’t have to prove anything and is going to be guaranteed $30m+ in about 2 months.

Harper also had to prove it for 5+ years before getting anything. Murray doesn’t have to prove anything and is going to be guaranteed $30m+ in about 2 months.

But we're not talking about 30m, we're talking about 300m+.

Very good post. Yes as the first pick in the draft or close to it Murray will be guaranteed $25-30 million. He is going to have to prove something in the five years though to end up looking at half of $300 million.

The NFL and baseball are fundamentally different because of the hard cap on salaries and the much larger rosters in the NFL. Yes we have seen some marginal QBs get very rich in the NFL. The NFL also seems to be able to learn from the mistakes. After seeing Brock get $60+ million, Carr getting close to $100 million, Cousins last year getting $84 million guaranteed, and others it wouldn't be surprising to see teams step back a little from the giant QB contracts. Especially true in light of this.
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/...-the-playoffs-rodgers-garoppolo-cousins-ryan/

Which brings us to the next issue of QBs in the NFL. Garappolo and Carr off that list were guys who's playing time or abilities have been very compromised by injury. The Redskins signed Alex Smith to a contract that guarantees him $15 million in 2019 and $16 million in 2020 in the event of injury. From the looks of things he is likely finished so the Skins will end up paying that plus prorated signing bonuses meaning they have about $20 million a year against the cap in both years for a guy who is unlikely to play another down of football.

Injuries are a reality of the NFL. @TSchekler I seem to remember you gushing over RG3 when he came out and like Murray he was a small guy with spectacular physical skills. How close is he going to get to $300 million or even $100 million in his NFL career?

You make a good point about the fact that if he chooses baseball Murray will have to prove his way to the majors if he wants to get paid significantly. The scouts don't seem to have much doubt he can do that, enough confidence that Oakland was willing to sign him to a contract for close to $5 million. (Most of which he will now have to pay back under the provisions of the contract if he goes to the NFL.) With his talent and his bargaining leverage it is not unreasonable to expect that he could get $15-20 million guaranteed in baseball even if he never reaches the majors.

Part of the reason we see these 8-10 year contracts in baseball, 5-7 year contracts for guys who aren't superstars, is because the the teams know that career ending injuries are much more unlikely. With the Rockies signing Nolan they have a pretty good idea that in 7-8 years he is still going to be at least a reasonably effective baseball player. Worst case scenario he injures a knee or a hip and loses some of his amazing ability to cover his side of the infield. He still can move over and be a better than average 1st baseman and hit the baseball.

Harry with a 4.59. He is going to drop just like JuJu and in a couple years everyone is going to say what the **** were we all thinking.

But we're not talking about 30m, we're talking about 300m+.
How many players make that and what is the likliehood that Murray would get to that point? Why are we using the top 3 contracts in baseball history as a benchmark for what he’s missing out on by going to the NFL? Is a 5’10” 200 lb guy going to hit 35+ HRs and drive in 120 RBIs year after year to warrant that? Highly doubtful. At best, he’s probably looking at an Andrew McCutchen type career and contract (3 years $50m).

Again, the elite money in baseball is much better than the elite money in football. That’s not up for debate. However, Murray has a much better chance to become an elite QB making $25m/year than he does an elite baseball player making that kind of money.

Back