What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Rocky Mountain Showdown (8/30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CSU AD cares.

I don't ****ing care about their AD, and neither should RG. Frankly, if I were him-I'd have offered the dates he offered to them to the Zoomies. They've already said they want to do it again after we play there in 2022, and theres alot of novelty there. They got Washington State, Arizona, Texas Tech, and Vandy to do home and homes with them between now and 2028-so they don't need us like they once did.

If we need a bodybag game-UNC will happily oblige if they're available. They did in 2021 after UMass decided to delay the second game of that agreement in Boulder at Folsom for another 7 years.

For a long time the game was not played. CSU was one of those monumentally bad programs and CU had better things to do.

Back in the early 80's CSU was trying to (one of many attempts over the decades) upgrade the level of their program. They were winning 4-6 games a year which was better than their historical record and good considering they were a favorite body bag opponent for major programs looking to buy an easy win.

At the time state funding for higher education was more substantial and CSU managed to get a number of CSU grads/supporters in the legislature to put on the pressure to renew the series.

From the hiring of Earl Bruce and through the Sonny Lubbick era sheep fans actually dreamed of being in the big time and the game against the Buffs was an opportunity to play a major conference opponent and "prove" themselves worthy of statewide notice. CU still dominated the series at this time but most of the games were relatively competitive.

After Lubbick the CSU program has gone on a downward slide but one of the worst eras in Buff history has kept things relatively close. CSU under Bobo continues to slide and CU though not reflected in the win column has taken steps forward in the talent department.

The last few games haven't been that close on the scoreboard and less close on the field. We are on the verge if trends continue of the game becoming embarrassing for CSU and their fans again.

We need to call off the dogs and beat them badly enough a couple more times to make the Sheep fans want the game to quietly go away.

For a long time the game was not played. CSU was one of those monumentally bad programs and CU had better things to do.

Back in the early 80's CSU was trying to (one of many attempts over the decades) upgrade the level of their program. They were winning 4-6 games a year which was better than their historical record and good considering they were a favorite body bag opponent for major programs looking to buy an easy win.

At the time state funding for higher education was more substantial and CSU managed to get a number of CSU grads/supporters in the legislature to put on the pressure to renew the series.

From the hiring of Earl Bruce and through the Sonny Lubbick era sheep fans actually dreamed of being in the big time and the game against the Buffs was an opportunity to play a major conference opponent and "prove" themselves worthy of statewide notice. CU still dominated the series at this time but most of the games were relatively competitive.

After Lubbick the CSU program has gone on a downward slide but one of the worst eras in Buff history has kept things relatively close. CSU under Bobo continues to slide and CU though not reflected in the win column has taken steps forward in the talent department.

The last few games haven't been that close on the scoreboard and less close on the field. We are on the verge if trends continue of the game becoming embarrassing for CSU and their fans again.

We need to call off the dogs and beat them badly enough a couple more times to make the Sheep fans want the game to quietly go away.
I say call off the dogs after CU hangs a hundy on them a couple of times.

I was a student when the series was revived. Coach Mac did a great job of instilling the notion that WAC teams were unworthy of our effort. Hence the cheer at the CSU crowd. “Go WAC off!”

The exception to their downward turn was Sparkles-he won there, and probably regrets leaving. We have three OOC slots-we can't be playing even the Nubs yearly. Gives us ZERO OOC flexibility.

So who's starting QB for CU next year? Before we hand the Buffs a win in Fart Collins it's important to know who's leading the team to the win.

The exception to their downward turn was Sparkles-he won there, and probably regrets leaving. We have three OOC slots-we can't be playing even the Nubs yearly. Gives us ZERO OOC flexibility.
Sparkles did win there, he was a brief upturn. His bank account doesn't regret leaving and eventually he will leave Michigan for another higher profile head coaching job than CSU. That isn't where he wanted to spend his career. A part of that though was a deterioration of the rest of the league other than the top 2-3 programs.

He is a perfect example though of why they will never be a power even at their own level. If they get a coach who can't win (Bobo, Fairchild) they can't afford to fire him until the damage is already done. If they get a coach who can win consistently (Sparkles) they can't afford to keep him and unless he is a rare character like Sonny was he isn't staying.

Yes they got a nice payout for letting Sparkles go but it didn't mean they could afford to replace him with equal quality.

Other than making some money which can be made in other ways the CSU game does nothing for CU.

We get no national boost from it because CSU is meaningless on the national stage. We might as well be playing Southern Illinois or Northeast Louisiana. It does nothing for us recruiting because the kids in the CSU area, Northern Front Range already know that CU is the flagship and CSU is a lower level program, we really don't recruit against them.

Our alums and donors aren't impressed by a win over CSU and would much rather go to a game in Folsom than in Denver.

Meanwhile as you point out the game takes away our OOC flexibility. It also consumes enough local attention that it makes it harder for us to promote other OOC games.

Sparkles did win there, he was a brief upturn. His bank account doesn't regret leaving and eventually he will leave Michigan for another higher profile head coaching job than CSU. That isn't where he wanted to spend his career. A part of that though was a deterioration of the rest of the league other than the top 2-3 programs.

He is a perfect example though of why they will never be a power even at their own level. If they get a coach who can't win (Bobo, Fairchild) they can't afford to fire him until the damage is already done. If they get a coach who can win consistently (Sparkles) they can't afford to keep him and unless he is a rare character like Sonny was he isn't staying.

Yes they got a nice payout for letting Sparkles go but it didn't mean they could afford to replace him with equal quality.

Other than making some money which can be made in other ways the CSU game does nothing for CU.

We get no national boost from it because CSU is meaningless on the national stage. We might as well be playing Southern Illinois or Northeast Louisiana. It does nothing for us recruiting because the kids in the CSU area, Northern Front Range already know that CU is the flagship and CSU is a lower level program, we really don't recruit against them.

Our alums and donors aren't impressed by a win over CSU and would much rather go to a game in Folsom than in Denver.

Meanwhile as you point out the game takes away our OOC flexibility. It also consumes enough local attention that it makes it harder for us to promote other OOC games.

CSU would be smart to go the Lubick route again. Find a good coach who's too old to appeal to big programs.

Surveyor could start at QB for us and we'd probably hang 40 on them. They're awful.
Apparently you don't remember 2006 when Bernard Jackson was the QB for Colorado. That was BRUTAL. csu won 14-10 and that Lambs team ended up 4-8.
I wanted to poke my eyes out sitting there in Denver.

Apparently you don't remember 2006 when Bernard Jackson was the QB for Colorado. That was BRUTAL. csu won 14-10 and that Lambs team ended up 4-8.
Surveyor's doublewide would open some running lanes.

taking this moment to complain that they always have CU fans on the side that the cameras are so the entire game is looking in the direction of the CSU empty stands. get it fixed CU.

The younger Schlager kid transferred out of CSU, not a major loss for them as he was beaten out for a starting job. Only notable because his exit may have signaled some deeper problems between the team and Bobo.

I’m actually looking forward to the game this year. I’ll celebrate the end of the Denver experiment.

Traffic at 4:00 PM on a Friday is going to SUCK, though. I hope they agree to open the lots a little early. Although doing so will mean people have more time to get polluted.

I’m actually looking forward to the game this year. I’ll celebrate the end of the Denver experiment.

Traffic at 4:00 PM on a Friday is going to SUCK, though. I hope they agree to open the lots a little early. Although doing so will mean people have more time to get polluted.
post game victory beers are going to be curtailed again this year, I know it. I expect full on riot gear police in our face.

Neg Rep for bringing that game up-I had forgotten that whole season until this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back