What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Ideally Clayton will be an absolute beast, behind a pretty decent line this year. With the inexperience at QB I'd like to see our offense pretty run heavy, then mix in some RPO and with KD, Arias, Shenault, and Rice on the outside, and Stanley inside, I think the offense has the potential to be pretty good.

Whether it ends up that way will depend a lot on Chev. He has a ton to prove, as the well isn't dry on offense.

Ideally Clayton will be an absolute beast, behind a pretty decent line this year. With the inexperience at QB I'd like to see our offense pretty run heavy, then mix in some RPO and with KD, Arias, Shenault, and Rice on the outside, and Stanley inside, I think the offense has the potential to be pretty good.

Whether it ends up that way will depend a lot on Chev. He has a ton to prove, as the well isn't dry on offense.
But how much will Clayton play ? Same for Rice ?
Curious how this coaching staff believes about putting the best talent on the field or will they be slaves to honoring the vets.

Curious how this coaching staff believes about putting the best talent on the field or will they be slaves to honoring the vets.
From the whispers I've heard, Clayton is the real deal. Looking at BRice, he looks like one of the most physically developed WRs on the team.

I have to believe these coaches are smart enough to play the kids that give them the best chance to win now.

Fontenot 60 percent
Manghan 30 percent
Clayton 20 percent

By end of year.

Clayton 50 percent
Fontenot 40 percent
Manghan 10 percebt

I have to believe these coaches are smart enough to play the kids that give them the best chance to win now.

I think we all WANT to believe that. It’s still a big question mark as far as I’m concerned. If there’s a silver lining to the fact that KD is in his first year, it’s that he doesn’t have any preconceived notions about certain players.

In the words of a half wit former HC here: We’ll see.

Chev won't have the Viska cheat code to enter whenever we need to pick up a difficult 1st down on 3rd. I wonder who will step up when it's time to get physical and truck over someone. It'll be interesting to see if that's Clayton or Lewis using their legs, or if we see more tight end action in those situations.

I hope you guys are right on Mangham. I just don't see much.
I recently rewatched the Nub game from last year, because who doesn't get tired of watching that. Mangham just struck me as one of those backs that isn't necessarily flashy, but is always getting 2 or 3 more yards than he probably should have on a carry. You watch some RBs and they aren't explosive, but seem to have a feel for where the cut is and how to change speeds. Mangham strikes me as that type of back.

Now Clayton, I'm keeping my fingers crossed because he looks like that explosive guy.

I hope you guys are right on Mangham. I just don't see much.
Fontenot seemed to have the better burst through the hole when it was there, but not a guy who was creating on his own. Mangham has more of the Le'Veon Bell style of running, IMO, where he is more patient, waits for things to develop and then hits the hole. I also feel like Mangham has the better break tackle ability.

We're also talking about a third year player vs a true freshman last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mangham continue to get better as he continues to develop

Fontenot is probably the best receiving rb CU has had in a while. Mangham is the better runner. Neither is a homerun threat from what we’ve seen. Clayton seems to have all of those qualities, so should know by the end of the year.

Won’t happen, but I would see if Mangham would try out ILB.

I love the idea of having a few RBs that could be the starter. That means we can pound away at opposing teams while the passing game develops. If not, there's always the wishbone. ;)

Fontenot is probably the best receiving rb CU has had in a while. Mangham is the better runner. Neither is a homerun threat from what we’ve seen. Clayton seems to have all of those qualities, so should know by the end of the year.

Won’t happen, but I would see if Mangham would try out ILB.
Mangham is out if they move him to LB IMO. May be out anyway.

IMO, where he is more patient, waits for things to develop and then hits the hole. I also feel like Mangham has the better break tackle ability.

We're also talking about a third year player vs a true freshman last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mangham continue to get better as he continues to develop

Agreed. For any back, strength and conditioning is important but for his running style that is more predicated on breaking arm tackles, I think his success will be largely tied to his improvements in the weight room. Without going full Mtn on 18-20 year old physical development speculation, I think he was pretty raw in that department (as are most freshmen) and relied heavily on natural ability.

I was on buffzone chat chris miller is moving to safety per mr. howell.
He said he will ask if any other players have moved positions.
still no word on alfano being able to play yet.
CU's site lists the following:

Cornerback - Miller, Striker, Trujillo, Blackmon, Gonzalez, and Bethel

Defensive Back - Oats, Luckett, Anglen

Safety - Rakestraw, Perry, Pittman, Lewis

The Miller news is a big boost for Safety, IMO, as Perry and Pittman are going to be playing Star. I assume that Gonzalez is will learn both? I also thought Striker was a Safety, but guess not.

CU's site lists the following:

Cornerback - Miller, Striker, Trujillo, Blackmon, Gonzalez, and Bethel

Defensive Back - Oats, Luckett, Anglen

Safety - Rakestraw, Perry, Pittman, Lewis

The Miller news is a big boost for Safety, IMO, as Perry and Pittman are going to be playing Star. I assume that Gonzalez is will learn both? I also thought Striker was a Safety, but guess not.
Trujillo, Luckett/Blackmon, Rakestraw, Miller, and Perry is not a bad secondary. Need Gonzalez to be ready from day one. Depth is an issue, like it always is, but there is talent in the back half.

Howell mentioned in his chat today that the offense will not be like last years.
Did he elaborate on this or what it will look like? I have been assuming that it's going to be "KD's offense" with some input and concepts from Chev and then Chev calling plays within KD's philosophy. If we are back to a full blown Chev-created offense, I'm wondering why we hired an NFL WR coach to be the HC.

Did he elaborate on this or what it will look like? I have been assuming that it's going to be "KD's offense" with some input and concepts from Chev and then Chev calling plays within KD's philosophy. If we are back to a full blown Chev-created offense, I'm wondering why we hired an NFL WR coach to be the HC.
Because he had just built a house nearby? Location! Location! Location!

No, he didn't. The only thing I've heard is that the offense will look similar to the Patriots offense when they had Gronk and Hernandez. That tells me they want to use the TE heavily. Not sure we will really know until the first game.

Fontenot 60 percent
Manghan 30 percent
Clayton 20 percent

By end of year.

Clayton 50 percent
Fontenot 40 percent
Manghan 10 percebt
With a 7 game schedule the curve is shortened, of the 3 without the benefit of seeing Clayton play at the college level.
Clayton 40% - anything less will look stupid ie CU lands a 4* which doesn't happen often and doesn't play him.
Mengham 40% - anything less = transfer portal, money says he goes back to Mich. he's a known entity.
Fontenot 20% - The safety in case one of the other two get injured or game plan.
Smith will be delegated to SP and I don't believe he'll be satisfied with that = transfer portal Mengham's transfers status could change that.
Assuming the big back from Creek doesn't show in practice and redshirts.
On a side note, Melissa HS must be loaded even after the loss of Lewis Melissa 5-0 and ranked #3 in UIL 4A.

Back