What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Official Fall Camp Thread

I might be misremembering, but I could have sworn I read an article about how Landman was the only person that Summers gave the on-field freedom to make adjustments and reads pre-snap. So once he went down, not only did the team lose its best defender, it also lost the only guy that could recognize something from the offense and switch it up.

Here's one write-up by Adam that mentions it but again, thought I read something more concrete about this.
There is definitely a reason Tyson Summers is now a defensive analyst, as opposed to a defensive coordinator!

It isn't "really bad" in my estimation though. If you assume that Landman is ready to go, I believe that we have 4 ILB's that can play (Lamb, Barnes, Perry), 5 if you want to include JVD (which as an aside, would require that he make significant improvements over last year). I can't really get in to details, other than to qualify my belief that we have quality depth in the front 7 as being based on personnel packages that CU will likely be running on D for a good portion of our schedule.

Also, agree that this is all prognostication, and the proof will be in the pudding' so to speak.
As I recall, JVD was a starter or at least first off the bench as a RS Frosh and played well. Neither Tucker nor Summers did him any coaching favors and he played hurt last year, so that slowed him down as much as Summers' highly complicated system, slowed down the whole "D". It's been said he had a solid spring and a decent fall camp.

I'm willing to see what a simpler "D" can do for everybody. In contact sports, that first step is key on any play. If you lose that because you're "thinking", you're beat!

I can't believe your not talking about Greg Brown being back? Our D was legit and was sad to see him leave.
Should this have the sarcasm font? The 2 years he was our DC were by far the 2 worst defenses I've seen in 30+ years at CU. His second defense in 2012 was one of the 5 worst in all of college football over the last decade. If you are talking about his time as our DB coach, then sure he was impressive from '91 - '93, but which assistant under McCartney wasn't? In his second stint as DB coach at CU from '05 - '10, I don't recall thinking our DBs play was particularly outstanding.

As I recall, JVD was a starter or at least first off the bench as a RS Frosh and played well. Neither Tucker nor Summers did him any coaching favors and he played hurt last year, so that slowed him down as much as Summers' highly complicated system, slowed down the whole "D". It's been said he had a solid spring and a decent fall camp.

I'm willing to see what a simpler "D" can do for everybody. In contact sports, that first step is key on any play. If you lose that because you're "thinking", you're beat!
I always sort of worry when I hear about “simplifying” things.
Checkers is simple. Chess is not. But if you can play chess, you’re probably better off.
Poker vs War
Chutes & Ladders vs Monopoly
etc.

Should this have the sarcasm font? The 2 years he was our DC were by far the 2 worst defenses I've seen in 30+ years at CU. His second defense in 2012 was one of the 5 worst in all of college football over the last decade. If you are talking about his time as our DB coach, then sure he was impressive from '91 - '93, but which assistant under McCartney wasn't? In his second stint as DB coach at CU from '05 - '10, I don't recall thinking our DBs play was particularly outstanding.
I do recall…thinking our DBs were ****.

I always sort of worry when I hear about “simplifying” things.
Checkers is simple. Chess is not. But if you can play chess, you’re probably better off.
Poker vs War
Chutes & Ladders vs Monopoly
etc.
Checkers is fine if you have 11 pieces and opponent has 1 or 2. It’s the Jimmys and Joes.

giphy.gif

Back