What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

5 Questions: your predictions for the 2017 class

1. Which JUCO recruit will make the biggest impact in the 2017 season?
Wigley. We desperately need someone to replace Chido, 'Spoon, and Tedric.

2. Which prep recruit will make the biggest impact in the 2017 season?
Chris Miller at DB for the same reason listed above.

3. When we look back in 4 or 5 years, who will be the guy who had the best career?
Laviska Shenault

4. Who is most likely to become a team captain or win the Buffalo Heart Award?
Van Diest

5. Who is the "sleeper" recruit who is going to be the biggest surprise?
Heston Paige​

I mentioned Newman because he's already pretty physically developed, very smart player who played vs a high level of competition, and thus should be able to pick it up quickly.

I suspect we will still use that defense we used after DerekMac went down, with Moeller in at that Buff position (at least against spread types and obvious passing downs). Mac indicated that's how he sees Newman being used. Moeller has had difficulty staying healthy, mainly because he tackles with extremely dangerous and poor form.

1. Edwards
2. Prolly
3.Callier, my gut feeling is we see him as the highest draft pick in this class
4.One of the Colorado kids, Van Deist or Spraco. They have the headstart because of state pride.
5. Spraco, Wigley? I dunno i

I mentioned Newman because he's already pretty physically developed, very smart player who played vs a high level of competition, and thus should be able to pick it up quickly.

I suspect we will still use that defense we used after DerekMac went down, with Moeller in at that Buff position (at least against spread types and obvious passing downs). Mac indicated that's how he sees Newman being used. Moeller has had difficulty staying healthy, mainly because he tackles with extremely dangerous and poor form.
I just want to see a guy come in at linebacker and cover the TE & RB out of the backfield. We have been pretty bad in that department. I think Newman can handle that.

My top 5 recruits that could have immediate impact

1. Grant Polley - I hope we can have him redshirt, but injuries could force him into action.
2. Will Sherman
3. Jake Morreti
4. Terrance Lang- could also play early at DE. I hope we can red shirt him. He is already physically ready to play College football.
5. Chris Miller- could also play early as the starting Nickel back. He is fast and he has good ball skills.
I hope we can redshirt every one. But that is not going to happen.

6. Callier- I like how he plays, strong punch and aggressive.
7. Landman- Need to get stronger, Will need maybe one or two years to develop.
8. Van Diest- would have been higher on my list if he wasn't injured right now.
9. Roddick- will like to see him redshirt, get at least one year in a college weight lifting program.
10. Edwards- I think good coaching and good conditioning will help him.

All this talk about Moretti starting as a true freshman has me worried. I never want to start a true freshman on the OL. At best, he redshirts and gets that knee fully rehabbed. At worst, he finds his way to the two deep. I like a 5th year senior Moretti a lot better than a true freshman Moretti. He can be a special player here, but OL take time to develop.

All this talk about Moretti starting as a true freshman has me worried. I never want to start a true freshman on the OL. At best, he redshirts and gets that knee fully rehabbed. At worst, he finds his way to the two deep. I like a 5th year senior Moretti a lot better than a true freshman Moretti. He can be a special player here, but OL take time to develop.
I think if Moretti is healthy he is good enough to come in and play right away. If his body holds up, I highly doubt he will be here till his 5th year. We have no way of knowing for sure, but I have no problem with it if he ends up being one of the best 5. He is physically already there.

I'm curious where people think Moretti is going to play? If everyone stays healthy Irwin is starting at LT. That is a lock. Then on the right side there is Haigler who did a good job last season as a RS freshman. So Moretti is gonna walk in coming off a torn ACL and missing his entire senior season and beat out a 6th yr SR who will be getting drafted relatively high and a guy who played well last year and will be a 3rd yr sophomore? Moretti should RS, get that knee 100% and get a year done with Drew Wilson and Klayton Adams. Everything goes well and he will be the starting LT on opening day 2018.

I'm curious where people think Moretti is going to play? If everyone stays healthy Irwin is starting at LT. That is a lock. Then on the right side there is Haigler who did a good job last season as a RS freshman. So Moretti is gonna walk in coming off a torn ACL and missing his entire senior season and beat out a 6th yr SR who will be getting drafted relatively high and a guy who played well last year and will be a 3rd yr sophomore? Moretti should RS, get that knee 100% and get a year done with Drew Wilson and Klayton Adams. Everything goes well and he will be the starting LT on opening day 2018.

I think there's a good chance that the 2017 starting OL is: LT Irwin, LG Kough, C Lynott, RG Moretti, RT Haigler

May want him to get his feet wet at guard this year.

I think there's a good chance that the 2017 starting OL is: LT Irwin, LG Kough, C Lynott, RG Moretti, RT Haigler

May want him to get his feet wet at guard this year.
I think Grant Polley has a better chance of starting at RG then Moretti does. Being patient with Moretti this year will turn out better in the long run for CU and Moretti. Just my opinion

Moretti is a little on the short sidefor tackle. Same problem as Polley actually.

So you don't expect any injuries on the OL? Lol

Listed at 6'5" every except CU's site... Guess I'll go with CU's site now. That is on the short end for Tackle, but doesn't mean he won't play there.
6'4" is the exception to the rule at tackle for sure. He can play there, but it's a rarity. Bak worked out pretty well though at the same height.

6'4" is plenty tall imho, if, he has long arms. Looks like he does.

For sure. Bakh is maybe that tall.

But I really think that Haigler has locked down RT for the next 3 seasons. And after this year, I kind of expect Miller to take over LT for the next 2.

I really think that Moretti is at OG for a while. But you never know.

Moretti should be full go by early summer having had his knee done on July 7 I would guess.
Given he has the benefit of being here for spring ball (even if not a participant), he will closer to a RS Frosh than a True Frosh.

I look forward to seeing the young guys on both sides of the line. It's the first time we've had the proper depth to let kids have 2-3 years in the program before they see much PT. I love the '17 class, but I doubt most of them have as easy a path to starting as most think.

Back