What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

5430 Foundation

If I remember correctly from a few years back, you said you were done posting here for whatever reason, only to come back and become a regular after a few months. You and Gary Indiana both in this regard, I think.

Something tells me you’d be back under some other name no matter what
Dude. I’d never post here under a new name. It would tax my brain to come up with a new one.

Best to return to the thread topic….I’m watching the Air Force game.

I understand the game has changed and I’m probably just yelling at clouds, but it’s developments like this that are pushing me away from CFB.

A fans role should be buying tickets and supporting the team through their AD donation, if they so choose. Why is it now our job to pay the players’ salaries as well?

I’m happy we have Coach Prime and we’re relevant again, but if the current model of asking/guilting fans into buying recruits stays around I’ll probably end up checking out.

This isn’t to bag on people who choose to participate in this new model. If you like this new era, fantastic. It’s just doesn’t sit well with me personally.
It's always been like this. But instead of certain programs dominating because they had well-organized and deep networks of shadow boosters paying under the table, it's now being done in the light by regular boosters and corporations.

It's always been like this. But instead of certain programs dominating because they had well-organized and deep networks of shadow boosters paying under the table, it's now being done in the light by regular boosters and corporations.
Meh, I think there’s a gap between having a group of deep pocket boosters giving a bag to blue chips, versus guilt tripping average fans into buying the entire team Dodge Ram pickups and getting into bidding wars every season to keep your current starters.

I view this current model as unsustainable and we are likely heading into a future where the NCAA has no control over college football.

Yet, this is where we are and this is what we need to help support a head coach that has an ability to win championships.

I just want to see this program succeed when we actually have a chance to.

Meh, I think there’s a gap between having a group of deep pocket boosters giving a bag to blue chips, versus guilt tripping average fans into buying the entire team Dodge Ram pickups and getting into bidding wars every season to keep your current starters.
Sure. It's different because now all fans are supposed to get involved instead of letting others handle it while we hold onto delusions about amateur athletes being regular students on merit scholarships who came for the Flatirons and love for dear ole CU.

Average fans aren’t buying the entire team Dodge Ram pickups. I get your point but don’t be disingenuous or dramatic in trying to make it.

Deep pocket boosters are still being leveraged. This just allows average fans who have wanted to contribute in a more direct way an avenue to do so. I’m sorry you feel guilt tripped.

Sure. It's different because now all fans are supposed to get involved instead of letting others handle it while we hold onto delusions about amateur athletes being regular students on merit scholarships who came for the Flatirons and love for dear ole CU.
For some reason you won’t allow yourself to admit that the situation has dramatically shifted. You’re acting as if the NIL hasn’t changed a thing. Ok. That’s certainly an opinion you’re welcome to hold, but not rooted in reality.

For some reason you won’t allow yourself to admit that the situation has dramatically shifted. You’re acting as if the NIL hasn’t changed a thing. Ok. That’s certainly an opinion you’re welcome to hold, but not rooted in reality.
I said what changed. I'd add that bringing it into the open increased the participation and benefits, but if you don't think players were provided cars, jewelry, tattoos, free swag, cash gifts, etc in the past then you were willfully ignorant. And that's fine. But what you're running into and bothered by, I think, is that it's now in your face. Most especially, it's in your face that if CU fans don't donate to player compensation the program cannot compete for top talent - and that's always been the case that recruits went where they were offered the best deal.

I said what changed. I'd add that bringing it into the open increased the participation and benefits, but if you don't think players were provided cars, jewelry, tattoos, free swag, cash gifts, etc in the past then you were willfully ignorant. And that's fine. But what you're running into and bothered by, I think, is that it's now in your face. Most especially, it's in your face that if CU fans don't donate to player compensation the program cannot compete for top talent - and that's always been the case that recruits went where they were offered the best deal.
I disagree with your contention that the only fundamental difference between pre and post NIL is the transparency. That’s your take, fine. I just don’t share that opinion.

Looks like NIL has evolved quickly from the idea of businesses paying individual players for the use of their Ns, Is, and Ls to the idea of the democratization of legal slush funds, funded by the fan bases at large. Not criticizing you Nik, but that change is pretty fast and remarkable and will be a test of how many people are willing to pay extra for incremental vicarious pleasure, when the uses of that money will be opaque and the value will not always be realized. A lot of folks will take a pass, not because they aren’t fans but because they’ll compare it to other charities that they’re involved with or wish they could be involved with on a more extensive basis.

My second thought is Why hasn’t Nick Saban’s wife told him that his hair dye job looks awful and to just stop doing it.

Looks like NIL has evolved quickly from the idea of businesses paying individual players for the use of their Ns, Is, and Ls to the idea of the democratization of legal slush funds, funded by the fan bases at large. Not criticizing you Nik, but that change is pretty fast and remarkable and will be a test of how many people are willing to pay extra for incremental vicarious pleasure, when the uses of that money will be opaque and the value will not always be realized. A lot of folks will take a pass, not because they aren’t fans but because they’ll compare it to other charities that they’re involved with or wish they could be involved with on a more extensive basis.

My second thought is Why hasn’t Nick Saban’s wife told him that his hair dye job looks awful and to just stop doing it.
Yeah. I'm not criticizing either. But what we have is that shadow boosters can now be involved and seen, which makes them more motivated and generous than ever. Since CU largely dismantled its network, we're playing from behind. And CU fans have been educated for decades about the dangers of risking NCAA penalties on top of not having a donor culture the way others do. Fortunately, we're in a wealthy state with major businesses and have a lot of fans & alums who make a good income so the new rules give us an opportunity to make up ground and compete against those who have been giving players diamond earrings and thousands in cash just to come for a recruiting visit.

Yeah, I’m sure it was all financed by the grass roots efforts of average fans and not large donors contributing or the “Ken Garff Automotive Group”.

Fair enough, though. Honestly, I hope Utah’s average fan donation is what financed this. It’s a 6 month rental for Utah scholarship football players. I’d wager that most top player would rather just get a bag, not a rental car.

Just say that you’d rather give your donation money to the people in the Athletic Department than directly to the players.

Yeah. I'm not criticizing either. But what we have is that shadow boosters can now be involved and seen, which makes them more motivated and generous than ever. Since CU largely dismantled its network, we're playing from behind. And CU fans have been educated for decades about the dangers of risking NCAA penalties on top of not having a donor culture the way others do. Fortunately, we're in a wealthy state with major businesses and have a lot of fans & alums who make a good income so the new rules give us an opportunity to make up ground and compete against those who have been giving players diamond earrings and thousands in cash just to come for a recruiting visit.
I completely understand and I hope that CU is competitive in this new fundraising universe. I do think that the fan base is a little different than some of the blue blood fan bases.

Yeah, I’m sure it was all financed by the grass roots efforts of average fans and not large donors contributing or the “Ken Garff Automotive Group”.

Fair enough, though. Honestly, I hope Utah’s average fan donation is what financed this. It’s a 6 month rental for Utah scholarship football players. I’d wager that most top player would rather just get a bag, not a rental car.

Just say that you’d rather give your donation money to the people in the Athletic Department than directly to the players.
Which brings up an honest question for anyone here. As an example, if I wanted to give an individual CU player $1,000 to sign a football could I just do that, or would I have to go through a bureaucracy of some kind? Not sure how centralized this all is right now….

Which brings up an honest question for anyone here. As an example, if I wanted to give an individual CU player $1,000 to sign a football could I just do that, or would I have to go through a bureaucracy of some kind? Not sure how centralized this all is right now….
There would be nothing to prevent a player from profiting off a signing event. Not sure if we can do direct transactions if they're not registered. Good question.

Just say you think college players should be grateful for their scholarship and not actually get paid for their services
My problem with it is that it’s greatly unchecked and unregulated. It benefits the stars in men’s football and basketball but doesn’t do much for most other men’s and women’s sports. And success is largely dependent on the donor base.

And with the portal, there really isn’t that loyalty to a school. If a player isn’t getting paid enough they are basically free agents. I really dislike it.

When schools start giving every scholarship player a brand new Dodge Ram something has to give. That is just ridiculous.

Also, Prime is giving CU a chance to be elite. But if the money doesn’t flow and he can’t get the guys he needs to compete at the highest level, he could look for greener pastures and CU will revert back to middle or back of the pack.

That’s what worries me, anyway.

Last edited:
Saying 'I liked it all better when it was under the table and the players were free labor,' uses a lot fewer words.
It’s always been corrupt. Now it corruption in disguise. No entity is policing NIL and where the money comes from. Originally NIL deals were supposed to be legit. Based solely on a player’s marketability. That isn’t how it’s playing out. For instance, if a player gets paid to advertise for a car dealer, he/she is supposed to get paid a fair market rate that a celebrity of equal stature would get and that isn’t what’s happening.

Send me the $1,000, and I will make sure it gets to your player. I will send you my account info separately.

It’s always been corrupt. Now it corruption in disguise. No entity is policing NIL and where the money comes from. Originally NIL deals were supposed to be legit. Based solely on a player’s marketability. That isn’t how it’s playing out. For instance, if a player gets paid to advertise for a car dealer, he/she is supposed to get paid a fair market rate that a celebrity of equal stature would get and that isn’t what’s happening.
The senate has been having hearings regarding collectives and the portal. The consensus is that it will be regulated federally so that every school is under the same guidelines. When it happens, we'll see if it changes anything. Probably just revert back to when there was no NIL with under the table pay.

My problem with it is that it’s greatly unchecked and unregulated. It benefits the stars in men’s football and basketball but doesn’t do much for most other men’s and women’s sports. And success is largely dependent on the donor base.

And with the portal, there really isn’t that loyalty to a school. If a player isn’t getting paid enough they are basically free agents. I really dislike it.

When schools start giving every scholarship player a brand new Dodge Ram something has to give. That is just ridiculous.

Also, Prime is giving CU a chance to be elite. But if the money doesn’t flow and he can’t get the guys he needs to compete at the highest level, he could look for greener pastures and CU will revert back to middle or back of the pack.

That’s what worries me, anyway.
I don’t disagree with some of what you say, but one thing to consider is the wording “giving every scholarship player a brand new Dodge Ram” and instead use the words “every scholarship player EARNS a brand new Dodge Ram.” (In reality, the Utah kids are getting a short term lease, not a new car, free and clear). “Giving” implies that they don’t deserve it. It may seem like silly semantics but I think it better reflects the transaction.

I don’t disagree with some of what you say, but one thing to consider is the wording “giving every scholarship player a brand new Dodge Ram” and instead use the words “every scholarship player EARNS a brand new Dodge Ram.” (In reality, the Utah kids are getting a short term lease, not a new car, free and clear). “Giving” implies that they don’t deserve it. It may seem like silly semantics but I think it better reflects the transaction.
Why don’t the women’s basketball team get cars? Or walk ons who start? Anyway, this kind of stuff is going to escalate unless it becomes regulated. Pro sports leagues at least have salary caps except for MLB.

The senate has been having hearings regarding collectives and the portal. The consensus is that it will be regulated federally so that every school is under the same guidelines. When it happens, we'll see if it changes anything. Probably just revert back to when there was no NIL with under the table pay.
I don’t think you can stop under the table payments in any structure that still allows for free choice for the players of where they play. So yeah, even if they regulate NIL, the under the table stuff will likely continue. Even if they shift to a salary model when players are deemed employees, there will still be skirting the salary cap in order to entice players to come to their programs.

The only way it becomes “legit” is if the 48+ schools break away and form a league like the NFL where they institute a player draft.

Why don’t the women’s basketball team get cars? Or walk ons who start? Anyway, this kind of stuff is going to escalate unless it becomes regulated. Pro sports leagues at least have salary caps except for MLB.
The first athlete that Shaq’s firm signed is a female basketball player, I believe.

Back