What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

5430 Foundation

NIL should not be allowed during recruitment.

The way Shedeur does it is how it should be done. Make money off sponsorships, advertising etc on likeness/name alone.

The pay to play is stupid

only fix is collective bargaining and structure. right now we are in the wild west stage of market freedom.

to make this all work, some kind of a players union and ncaa (or substitute) authority need to work out a format.

the concentration of top talent by a few programs and the concentration of top money by a few players is not sustainable. this is why the nfl is the biggest and most successful non-free market sport in the world.

Why shouldn't it be allowed during recruitment?

I'm genuinely confused on this, and it may just be that I have a ****ed up view of NIL. But my view of it is if someone is willing to give you money for whatever reason, they should be able to. It's the way it exists in the world at large, why not here? We shouldn't be stopping rich people from making stupid decisions with their money. In fact, we should be encouraging it because it usually leads to hilarious things that end well for others.

Need to ramp this up big time. Want to compete for championships? This is it.

I'm genuinely confused on this, and it may just be that I have a ****ed up view of NIL. But my view of it is if someone is willing to give you money for whatever reason, they should be able to. It's the way it exists in the world at large, why not here? We shouldn't be stopping rich people from making stupid decisions with their money. In fact, we should be encouraging it because it usually leads to hilarious things that end well for others.
I don't think the colleges should be allowed to even broach the subject until the player is signed.

The real world has limits on this. For instance, most of us would lose our job if we were accepting bribes or kickbacks from current & potential vendors / clients. I mean, I don't think anyone here is on the Supreme Court.

The real world has limits on this. For instance, most of us would lose our job if we were accepting bribes or kickbacks from current & potential vendors / clients. I mean, I don't think anyone here is on the Supreme Court.
There are people here I wish were on SCOTUS.

Should rename the thread to be the 5430 Alliance. Looks like they hired someone to run the thing.

Here is her LinkedIn

With over 12 years of leadership experience in the professional sports industry, I bring a passion for generating revenue, building client relationships and working closely with my peers. I have been involved in closing over $2 billion worth of sports deals. I have worked across all of the leagues; owners representatives, brands, sports marketing agencies and many service providers.

Should rename the thread to be the 5430 Alliance. Looks like they hired someone to run the thing.

Here is her LinkedIn

Such a...
Kate Mckinnon Hello GIF by Saturday Night Live

Looks like they dropped the pretex of being charitable (no longer a 501c3) and offloaded that to another organization to avoid IRS scrutiny.

CAN I MAKE A TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DONATION?​

Yes. 5430 Alliance has a partnership with the BPS Foundation, a 501c3 nonprofit, that allows supporters to earn a tax-deduction for their gift.

Here is her LinkedIn

That seems to be a very big change in direction/mission. They started as a "no overhead" donation group. 100 pct of your donation would go to players, and the founders would pay whatever overhead they incurred. Now it seems like they are becoming like any regular business, and I doubt that they are zero overhead anymore. I have a monthly donation set up, but I can't imagine continuing as I have no interest in paying a portion for this lady's salary.

That seems to be a very big change in direction/mission. They started as a "no overhead" donation group. 100 pct of your donation would go to players, and the founders would pay whatever overhead they incurred. Now it seems like they are becoming like any regular business, and I doubt that they are zero overhead anymore. I have a monthly donation set up, but I can't imagine continuing as I have no interest in paying a portion for this lady's salary.
You should reach out and ask.

The way I look at it if I want to directly give a CU or WYO athlete a few $100 bills to sign a football or a pair of track shoes, I’ll do it myself and the mangy bureaucrats can stick it.

If they don’t like it I’ll refer them to Roberts, Kagan, and Gorsuch, et al.

OpEx inflation and unclear financial reporting are two hallmarks of excellent portfolio companies

I’m sure the headcount expansion is closely tied to the deluge of ops work keeping up with the increasing complexity of this org
The salaries of this org could reach or be equivalent to 2-3 difference makers on the field. It's great to have oversight but with limited resources compared to say Oregon, every dollar is meaningful and should be spent on players not adults behind a laptop. 5430 was literally created to help bring players in. From someone who was the founder and CEO of a 501c3, having that in place to regulate salaries and keep donations visible/honest is pretty important. I could be missing some details here, but this doesn't sound like a good direction

You guys are weird.

Before, the complains were that they are not professional and there is not enough resource dedicated to operation/fund raising.

Now, they hired people to do so and the complains become they should not use money to hire anyone.

It's impressive how you guys can always find something to complain,

Back