What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
The LSU exit is one thing to write off but he was fired from NC State too. And both NC State and LSU got better after he left. I really think the guy is just riding off 1 really good year at Pitt.

Tee Martin followed Coach Tucker. I don't know how to fit him in on a staff but that a great opportunity for a west coast recruiter, really hope Mel gives him a look.
Don't like him as OC. As I've posted, he gets too pass heavy and doesn't integrate the run game well enough. Offense doesn't have OLs going forward to impose their will. But, there's a lot I do love about him.

1. Elite recruiter.
2. Excellent WR coach.
3. Excellent as a Pass Game Coordinator.
4. Leadership that will likely make him a HC some day.

And as the final thing, I don't think you can have too many guys in the room who can wear a national champion ring. That's what we want to be again as a program.

Don't like him as OC. As I've posted, he gets too pass heavy and doesn't integrate the run game well enough. Offense doesn't have OLs going forward to impose their will. But, there's a lot I do love about him.

1. Elite recruiter.
2. Excellent WR coach.

And as the final thing, I don't think you can have too many guys in the room who can wear a national champion ring. That's what we want to be again as a program.
Seems like it’s an either/or situation between him and Chev, and I wouldn’t want either as our OC.

Seems like it’s an either/or situation between him and Chev, and I wouldn’t want either as our OC.
Would be dependent on our OC but Tee's worked as a QB coach as well and obviously he was originally a QB. He could probably do the RB or TE role as well but some might prefer someone with a more detailed approach to those positions.

Could you imagine if he came here as DC?

That's such a crazy thought that I don't even know how to wrap my head around it. USC fans wanted him as their head coach.

No way that's real.

Oh totally agree. There's no President at USC and an ad who is a placeholder there though. Not hard to see him pass on going back to USC. On top of that, Del Rio has a couple more years of Raider buyout money left, may own a home in Denver still, and might have really enjoyed living here (his supposed dislike of Elway aside). Farfetched? Probably. Ridiculous? No.

1. Elite recruiter.
2. Excellent WR coach.

I think a Tee Martin overseen by Mel Tucker >> Tee Martin overseen by Clay Helton. Add in the recruiting and the ring and I think I'd be ok with it.

I think a Tee Martin overseen by Mel Tucker >> Tee Martin overseen by Clay Helton. Add in the recruiting and the ring and I think I'd be ok with it.
It would really depend on what he wanted to do on offense if he was named OC. I really hated USC's offense. I get that there are reasons. In 2017 they lost their OL to graduation and had a great QB who couldn't play his game. In 2018 they had a freshman QB who couldn't do much beyond his gorgeous deep balls. But where was the physical mentality? That's what bothered me.

It would really depend on what he wanted to do on offense if he was named OC. I really hated USC's offense. I get that there are reasons. In 2017 they lost their OL to graduation and had a great QB who couldn't play his game. In 2018 they had a freshman QB who couldn't do much beyond his gorgeous deep balls. But where was the physical mentality? That's what bothered me.

If you hire a James Coley/Matt Canada type who is more of a head coach of the offense without a position responsibility (doable given CMT will be active with the defense), yeah I'm good with Martin. I'd rather invest in a proven OC. Lanning as DC is perfect-CMT will be more involved defensively and may even call the defense himself-we can get a younger guy who will recruit his ass off from UGA there that MT can mentor a bit from a scheme perspective.

If you hire a James Coley/Matt Canada type who is more of a head coach of the offense without a position responsibility (doable given CMT will be active with the defense), yeah I'm good with Martin. I'd rather invest in a proven OC. Lanning as DC is perfect-CMT will be more involved defensively and may even call the defense himself-we can get a younger guy who will recruit his ass off from UGA there that MT can mentor a bit from a scheme perspective.
If we can pull a Coley/Canada (or Gundy/Fisch or however you want to put it) level OC and get Tee as a position coach... and pull a guy like Lanning to be DC, then I expect the hospitals on the front range to be overwhelmed by CU fans who have erections lasting more than 4 hours.

We can hire an extremely good staff without getting to the kind of names people are putting out in this thread. I hope it happens, but I don't want people to set themselves to be disappointed in what is actually a great staff.

If we can pull a Coley/Canada (or Gundy/Fisch or however you want to put it) level OC and get Tee as a position coach... and pull a guy like Lanning to be DC, then I expect the hospitals on the front range to be overwhelmed by CU fans who have erections lasting more than 4 hours.

We can hire an extremely good staff without getting to the kind of names people are putting out in this thread. I hope it happens, but I don't want people to set themselves to be disappointed in what is actually a great staff.

Oh no doubt. I want a proven offensive coordinator and guys who have networks in Cali, Texas, and Polynesia.

I don't care if I've never heard of the OC as long as we smash people in the mouth when we run it and attack the entire field when we throw it. And we know the D is in good hands.

Coach Tucker has mentioned Louisiana a couple times as a place he wants to recruit for us. Does that give Drake a higher chance at being retained due to his connections there?

1. Elite recruiter.
2. Excellent WR coach.

can we maybe just place all of the blame on Helton and assume Martin is the greatest OC ever?

can we maybe just place all of the blame on Helton and assume Martin is the greatest OC ever?
Maybe. I'm not gonna cry in my beer or anything if Tucker hires Tee Martin as OC. But it better be with a change in philosophy from what I saw this season.

Tyler Lytle followed James Coley, which is interesting (definitely a new follow, FWIW).

Edit: Okay, connecting the dots here, Tyler's dad also just liked this old tweet from Coley (which also suggests Coley/Tucker are quite close):

Last edited:
Shane Beamer started following Tuck.

TE/H-Back coach at Oklahoma
Interesting bio. He's coached on both sides of the ball and special teams. Also had a year as RC at Mississippi State. He has an assistant head coach title now. That would be one hell of a steal if it's for anything other than a coordinator job.

2000Georgia Tech (GA)
2001–2003Tennessee (GA)
2004–2006Mississippi State (CB/RC)
2007–2008South Carolina (CB)
2009–2010South Carolina (LB/ST)
2011–2015Virginia Tech (AHC/RB)
2016–2017Georgia (TE/ST)
2018–presentOklahoma (AHC/TE)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HCMT is a man with a plan. I bet he already has handshake agreements for half the positions. He just has to interview the existing staff first on Friday. It might be a legit job interview for a couple. For the rest you want to get their thoughts on the returning players and the state of recruiting before you let them go. Maybe a couple will be a little butthurt on the way out but it's the business they signed up for and I'd think most would handle an exit interview like a professional.

Man, I had a couple names like Keary Colbert (TE coach at USC) or Emmett Jones (WR coach under Kingsbury at TTU), but evidently we’re doing some big-game hunting if we’re talking about Jack del Rio, James Coley, Tee Martin and Shane Beamer. My goodness...

Back