What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
You guys talking about keeping 4 to 6 coaches are nuts. I think it'll be 1 or 2 plus Hagan in an admin/recruiting support job.

Tucker will bring in the best recruiters he can find. Chiv is the only guy on staff who fits that description. Bring in an OC who can coordinate a good passing game and Chiv will be okay as WR coach. I want a staff where he is only the third or fourth best recruiter.

You guys talking about keeping 4 to 6 coaches are nuts. I think it'll be 1 or 2 plus Hagan in an admin/recruiting support job.

Tucker will bring in the best recruiters he can find. Chiv is the only guy on staff who fits that description. Bring in an OC who can coordinate a good passing game and Chiv will be okay as WR coach. I want a staff where he is only the third or fourth best recruiter.

Yeah, I think it would be pretty strange to see more than a couple holdovers.

It's bizarre to me that you'd want to keep so much of the staff and that, with that, Els is one of the handful of guys you'd be looking to replace. We've each got our own opinions, though.
I thought that too after I put it together; but then reflected that I truly believe that our defense was not the issue this year; in fact they minimized alot of problem from the offense; however lack of depth was exposed by getting put on the field too much and in bad situations; not to mention injuries.

I gave Eliot the benefit of the doubt as he arrived just last year and since then we have added: Mustafa, Antwine, Lang, Finau, Sami; so I can't place the fault on the lack of DL recruiting depth at his feet. I'm not sold on him as DC but he has been a very successful DE/OLB coach on a national championship team so why not give him a year to prove himself and save us the buyout money? That money could then go towards paying an OC, DC, and upgrading our recruiting-focused coaches (someone like Tee Martin?).

As far as Els, I'm not that familiar with him and what he brings to the table recruiting wise. I also put ShaDon Brown down because I didn't have a better option and thought he had a good trajectory and seems to be doing good in recruiting.

I thought that too after I put it together; but then reflected that I truly believe that our defense was not the issue this year; in fact they minimized alot of problem from the offense; however lack of depth was exposed by getting put on the field too much and in bad situations; not to mention injuries.

I gave Eliot the benefit of the doubt as he arrived just last year and since then we have added: Mustafa, Antwine, Lang, Finau, Sami; so I can't place the fault on the lack of DL recruiting depth at his feet. I'm not sold on him as DC but he has been a very successful DE/OLB coach on a national championship team so why not give him a year to prove himself and save us the buyout money? That money could then go towards paying an OC, DC, and upgrading our recruiting-focused coaches (someone like Tee Martin?).

As far as Els, I'm not that familiar with him and what he brings to the table recruiting wise. I also put ShaDon Brown down because I didn't have a better option and thought he had a good trajectory and seems to be doing good in recruiting.

You can only have ten assistant coaches. Keeping Eliot on as a position coach to save some money is mostly pointless because he would need to be a great recruiter to justify it. If he is just the DE/OLB coach, he is supposed to be a "recruiting-focused coach."

I think that it's been so long since we've seen it that Buffs fans have forgotten what good recruiting looks like.

Put it this way: the guys Chev has been responsible for should have him competing with 4 or 5 other guys on staff for who had the best year and how he has done usually would not be good enough for Chev to win that title. He'd need to step it up from here. Talent attracts talent, so those other recruiters would naturally raise his level too.

Last edited:
I think that it's been so long since we've seen it that Buffs fans have forgotten what good recruiting looks like.

Put it this way: the guys Chev has been responsible for should have him competing with 4 or 5 other guys on staff on who had the best year and it usually would not be good enough for Chev to win that title unless he steps it up from here. Talent attracts talent, so those other recruiters would naturally raise his level too.
I remember the days picking up a magazine to see where the class was gonna be, I didn't often have to go further down than 25. Most of the time, it was much higher. Seems like forever ago now.

You can only have ten assistant coaches. Keeping Eliot on as a position coach to save some money is mostly pointless because he would need to be a great recruiter to justify it. If he is just the DE/OLB coach, he is supposed to be a "recruiting-focused coach."

Yeah I screwed up with the count, but does the Strength coach count towards that number?

Eliot was hired in January of 2017; too late for the 2017 cycle, but in 2018 cycle, according to 247, he was the primary on Antwine, Mustafa, Abrams, and Gustav. That is 3 immediate impact players at a high level in one class from the DC no less. And he was pretty damn good while at Florida State in recruiting and coaching the DE/OLB. I'm not an Eliot-apologist; however there is value there if he is used properly and if it saves us from paying out a ton of buyout money and THEN still having to pay another assistant to do the job.

North Texas OC Graham Harrell? Young, from Leach's system. Might mesh well with what we've recruited for?

I'd prefer more experience, but they were top 15 or so in offensive production this year.

Yeah I screwed up with the count, but does the Strength coach count towards that number?

Eliot was hired in January of 2017; too late for the 2017 cycle, but in 2018 cycle, according to 247, he was the primary on Antwine, Mustafa, Abrams, and Gustav. That is 3 immediate impact players at a high level in one class from the DC no less. And he was pretty damn good while at Florida State in recruiting and coaching the DE/OLB. I'm not an Eliot-apologist; however there is value there if he is used properly and if it saves us from paying out a ton of buyout money and THEN still having to pay another assistant to do the job.

The strength coach is not included. Pretty good, but nothing irreplaceable. While you cannot ignore money, keeping Eliot on staff makes it very difficult to construct the staff in a manner that makes sense. Same with keeping Roper.

There is a much higher standard that needs to be set in recruiting going forward.

Piggybacked onto Luck and then went back to uncle Jim when he couldn't stick anywhere else.
I thought we'd agreed that successful CFB coaches who didn't fare well in the NFL were still acceptable? And if we are not willing to accept that an OC under Harbaugh deserved some Stanford credit, perhaps we should extend to our UGA guy, having been under Short? But then UGA should have not hired Short since he worked under Saban. And so on.....

It's pretty hard for us to determine the winners and losers by just these things alone. Chip Long didn't have enough Resume to get that OC job at Notre Dame, but he impressed someone. And so it goes. In RG, we are going to have to trust.

I thought we'd agreed that successful CFB coaches who didn't fare well in the NFL were still acceptable? And if we are not willing to accept that an OC under Harbaugh deserved some Stanford credit, perhaps we should extend to our UGA guy, having been under Short? But then UGA should have not hired Short since he worked under Saban. And so on.....

It's pretty hard for us to determine the winners and losers by just these things alone. Chip Long didn't have enough Resume to get that OC job at Notre Dame, but he impressed someone. And so it goes. In RG, we are going to have to trust.

My point is that Hamilton made his name with Luck and has only been successful with him. I’ll let the jury decide whether Hamilton made Luck or vice versa.

My point is that Hamilton made his name with Luck and has only been successful with him. I’ll let the jury decide whether Hamilton made Luck or vice versa.
Pep's a very good football coach.

I just see a guy who is making $1M a year to be Michigan's OC. My point was that for what it would take to get him to make a lateral move (I'm being kind to our Buffs by calling it lateral), I don't see how you justify that if you're not bringing in a cutting edge offensive system.

Pep's a very good football coach.

I just see a guy who is making $1M a year to be Michigan's OC. My point was that for what it would take to get him to make a lateral move (I'm being kind to our Buffs by calling it lateral), I don't see how you justify that if you're not bringing in a cutting edge offensive system.
When I originally posted his profile I did not realize he was OC. His actual title does not say "offensive coordinator", but I now notice, neither does anyone's else on the UM site. He's not going anywhere in a lateral move.

Last edited:
Tucker does not have a lot of obvious coaching tree candidates, for sure. He's only been back in the college game a short time and during his time at 'Bama and UGA, their staffs are constantly being raided with the hot guys getting coordinator jobs. I think he's going to draw on guys who he hasn't worked with for more positions than usual. For that reason, I could see 2 of our Defensive coaches and perhaps Chev being retained.

What about Kevin Johns? He was most recently the OC at Texas Tech with Kingsbury. However, he spent extensive time as the Indiana OC under Kevin Wilson. Those teams were known for being pretty explosive and making effective use of tempo. I like that they not only passed the ball, but figured out how to commit to running it as well. No idea what kind of recruiter he is, but I imagine he’ll be looking for work.

It was more along the lines of Logan with tongue firmly in cheek.

Hell, I didn’t even know he wasn't at Mines and had a couple years in Montana and at okie light.

Put it this way: the guys Chev has been responsible for should have him competing with 4 or 5 other guys on staff for who had the best year and how he has done usually would not be good enough for Chev to win that title. He'd need to step it up from here. Talent attracts talent, so those other recruiters would naturally raise his level too.

Interesting point.

One thing that fascinated me was the article in Yahoo sports about the recruiting “system” that Smart instituted at Georgia. He used some fairly modern business processes to create a system that was way more involved than just the typical “relationship” method that most teams rely on.

In reading about Georgia’s methodology, it seemed like they have taken a more process driven or systematic approach to recruiting.

We see this sort of thing all the time in business. Companies who have solid systems having far greater results than companies who rely on the “talents” of their employees.

My hope is that HCMT will bring that same methodology to CU and elevate the results of all of our recruiters.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sport...ck-sabans-process-game-changer-050129185.html

Interesting point.

One thing that fascinated me was the article in Yahoo sports about the recruiting “system” that Smart instituted at Georgia. He used some fairly modern business processes to create a system that was way more involved than just the typical “relationship” method that most teams rely on.

In reading about Georgia’s methodology, it seemed like they have taken a more process driven or systematic approach to recruiting.

We see this sort of thing all the time in business. Companies who have solid systems having far greater results than companies who rely on the “talents” of their employees.

My hope is that HCMT will bring that same methodology to CU and elevate the results of all of our recruiters.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sport...ck-sabans-process-game-changer-050129185.html

This is a very important read. From the interview, Tucker seems fully invested into this recruiting method. If we’ve committed even half of UGA’s financial resources and work study staffing, it would be a revolution at CU. Those staffers who are retained better tell their wives that time together will be minimal at best.

Interesting point.

This is what gets me jacked up!!! This is why we hire Coach Tucker!!! This is magic and must be implemented!!! Game changer

Could things like this plan, large coordinator salaries, and other details be what has held this up? All of this is a big step for little old Colorado, so maybe RG has had to sell the Regents on this infrastructure upgrade?

Interesting point.

This is a very important read. From the interview, Tucker seems fully invested into this recruiting method. If we’ve committed even half of UGA’s financial resources and work study staffing, it would be a revolution at CU. Those staffers who are retained better tell their wives that time together will be minimal at best.

This is what gets me jacked up!!! This is why we hire Coach Tucker!!! This is magic and must be implemented!!! Game changer

Could things like this plan, large coordinator salaries, and other details be what has held this up? All of this is a big step for little old Colorado, so maybe RG has had to sell the Regents on this infrastructure upgrade?

I think that this is all part of the challenge to CU and for CU going forward. If Mel Tucker improves the performance on the field and in recruiting in general but the program doesn't evolve and move up several rungs, then he will move on to greener pastures and we will fall back down to the level of the next coach. If we want to sustain success and be an elite program again, we have to do more than just have a good HC.

Schools smaller and with less rabid fanbases have done this as well. See Stanford's endowment model and financial model here; and their recruiting model here.

While we don't have the financial clout that Stanford does, nor the donor/admin support that Alabama/Georgia has; we can benchmark their successes and apply the best practices to start improving how we operate given our advantages and our disadvantages.

Given Rick George's professional sports background and his collegiate recruiting background I would trust that he sees we need a better long-term model that can survive beyond an AD, beyond a HC, and through the ups and downs of W-L records each season.

The new OC and OL coach are critical to pair with MT.
Some interesting possibilities out there.
Monken - could be available soon
Fisch - still available
Johns - mentioned earlier in the thread
Enos- maybe if he is passed over as the new Bama OC

A dark horse could be Leipold the HC at Buffalo. He actually has a connection with Tucker. G.A. at Wisconsin when Tucker played there.

Back