What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Were those offenses solid? My vague recollection of Miami in the Al Golden years is of pretty pedestrian offenses relative to the talent they had. I’d be cool with him in Boulder, but that has more to do with his recruiting reputation—he’d have something to prove as an offensive architect and play caller.

I'd call him an upgrade to Chev as a playcaller-Arguing I'm comparing apples and oranges here is fair, but the three offenses Coley (2013-2015) coordinated at Miami finished higher in total offense in those years than ours did this past year per ESPN.

Upgrade over Chev is damning with faint praise.

Coley has a very good resume with proven recruiting track record and so-so record as a playcaller. He would be a good hire because he has presumably learned from mistakes and has QB coaching experience.

Coach Ambrose (DB coach) has come in twice, last week and this week," Trujillo said. "I would love for him to stay and he said he should find out next week what they're doing about the staff. He came on Wednesday and we have a really cool relationship that is deeper than just football.”
Sounds like we have more waiting in the future.

How does Ted Gilmore strike folks? I know his history has been hit or miss, but he has some connections here and on the West Coast.

Upgrade over Chev is damning with faint praise.

Coley has a very good resume with proven recruiting track record and so-so record as a playcaller. He would be a good hire because he has presumably learned from mistakes and has QB coaching experience.

He's one of the best recruiters in the game too

Great to hear Brian Gabral is doing well and back in Boulder, he needs to recruit Chris Naeole back in Boulder. Chris will make Coach Tucker’s vision a reality; recruiting, discipline, preparation, and a fast herd heading in one direction! Championship Games!

Anyone see a fit with Tommy Rees (QB coach at Notre Dame)? Brian Howell liked a tweet out of the blue and he fits as an assistant at "Dame making 205"

I don’t see why we should move on from roper for him, but he isn’t a bad option.
What is with the roper love? Guy is garbage. Career qb coach and our qb regresssed in astronomical proportions. He also is a terrible recruiter. I swear to god I’ll pistol whip the next guy that says he coached Eli Manning......

What is with the roper love? Guy is garbage. Career qb coach and our qb regresssed in astronomical proportions. He also is a terrible recruiter. I swear to god I’ll pistol whip the next guy that says he coached Eli Manning......
Well other than disagreeing with everything you just said, yes.

If tucker goes after an OC that is also a QB coach (Fisch) then I understand moving on from roper but there is no reason to cut him lose to bring in a younger, inexperienced guy. The quarterbacks did not regress this year, he is a proven quarterback coach at the highest levels (yes he struggled as an OC) and the players respect him.

Well other than disagreeing with everything you just said, yes.

If tucker goes after an OC that is also a QB coach (Fisch) then I understand moving on from roper but there is no reason to cut him lose to bring in a younger, inexperienced guy. The quarterbacks did not regress this year, he is a proven quarterback coach at the highest levels (yes he struggled as an OC) and the players respect him.

Go ahead and disagree. I’d ask you to argue your points by naming a recruit he’s gotten but obviously logic is not in the mind of the person who thinks Montez did not regress.

Go ahead and disagree. I’d ask you to argue your points by naming a recruit he’s gotten but obviously logic is not in the mind of the person who thinks Montez did not regress.
You can’t point to one thing that says he regressed. He had largely the same stats against a tougher schedule, with a worse running game and offensive line.

Eli Manning's college stats were no better than what Steven Montez has delivered. He was a #1 pick because of talent and pedigree, not because of his Ole Miss performance.
View attachment 28479

Montez:
View attachment 28480

I think we'd kill for that senior season.;)

I have no doubt Roper is a decent QB coach, but Cutcliffe was still the one in charge there and he has always been hands-on with QBs.

You can’t point to one thing that says he regressed. He had largely the same stats against a tougher schedule, with a worse running game and offensive line.

How about first game to last? He regressed miserably from week 1 to week 12.

CSU week 1- 22-26 338 yds 4 tds 1 int
CAL Werk12- 16-34 170 yds 2tds and 3 int

Ok so his first 5 games he was the same qb as his last 5 games? You guys are unbelievable if you think that. He didn’t even look like the same qb. Stats aside he had no pocket presence, control of the offense, etc

Ok so his first 5 games he was the same qb as his last 5 games? You guys are unbelievable if you think that. He didn’t even look like the same qb. Stats aside he had no pocket presence, control of the offense, etc
The QB is not the sole variable in those starts. The talent level of the defenses we played also increased. Injuries occurred on the offense. CU got behind in games putting more pressure on the QB.

Part of the reason he had no control of the offense and no pocket presence was the fact the OL was a swinging gate for much of the 2nd half of the season. He got shell shocked. Because of that, I will agree he probably did regress some. Not entirely his or his coach's fault though.

You are all over the place. You seem to think Roper's coaching (or lack thereof) was the main reason for poor play down the stretch. I think most would put QB coaching way down the list.

Have you read any of the stories from the reporters? Defenses were calling out our plays before the snap. Defenses were teeing off on him because we couldn’t block or run the ball. He made some terrible decisions, the pick 6 against cal where viska was wide open for a first and the pick against Utah where he didn’t look off the safety and threw it up to ento in double coverage insead of a single covered shenault on the other side come to mind, but saying he regressed from the year before doesn’t make sense.

Slightly different levels of defense too.:ROFLMAO:
Pick week 2 compared to 11. Week 3 to week 10. Guy was miserable the second half of the season. I can’t explain it. The guys seem to like him but maybe he’s to buddy buddy with them instead of coaching them. Who knows. But if you argue he didn’t regress or at the very least not get any better you’re completely ignorant

Back