What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
If Tuck can get 4*'s out of MI, LA, and GA, then why do we care? Raising the profile of our recruiting classes will increase interest in the program from all over the US. I get that CA and TX is where we've been in the past, but if Tuck can get 'em from back east, I'm okay with that - just so long as they are high caliber players.

If Tuck can get 4*'s out of MI, LA, and GA, then why do we care? Raising the profile of our recruiting classes will increase interest in the program from all over the US. I get that CA and TX is where we've been in the past, but if Tuck can get 'em from back east, I'm okay with that - just so long as they are high caliber players.
I just don't find that to be a sustainable strategy. More like an approach that will work every once and awhile but will also blow up in your face every couple of years.

I just don't find that to be a sustainable strategy. More like an approach that will work every once and awhile but will also blow up in your face every couple of years.
Yeah - I'm not so sure. If he's really successful over the next couple of years, the regions where we have been strong in the past will improve as well. It's imperative that his strategy is effective over the near term, though. If Tuck executes, then we'll get quality players from all over.

Yeah - I'm not so sure. If he's really successful over the next couple of years, the regions where we have been strong in the past will improve as well. It's imperative that his strategy is effective over the near term, though. If Tuck executes, then we'll get quality players from all over.
Actually there are very few programs who can recruit nationally year- over-year with a lot of success.

Don't you think Chev will be working out there? I'm thinking we might want to shift areas anyway, the big beef is out east, I say we get in there and start grabbing prospects. We have tons of competition for west coast players and there aren't many campuses that can match CU out east.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Totally agree here! The PAC-12 pool isn’t big enough. I think that is one of the reasons the Pac is the worst of the P-5 conferences. There isn’t enough talent to go around. Let’s get into some other areas and get some of those nasty east coast dudes. We need to expand the footprint.

Totally agree here! The PAC-12 pool isn’t big enough. I think that is one of the reasons the Pac is the worst of the P-5 conferences. There isn’t enough talent to go around. Let’s get into some other areas and get some of those nasty east coast dudes. We need to expand the footprint.
The Pac-12 pool is plenty big enough, the issues are more about keeping those kids home than the amount of talent in those areas.

I think it can be. Why not? We either go west coast or east coast and I don't see a lot of PAC-12 recruiting out east. I think I read somewhere that players where getting bigger out east so even with the big SEC schools grabbing the top players there's probably better leftovers out there.

Personally, I don't give a crap where players come from, just get 'em in here. Let's do this.
Even if it's true that the leftovers are better back east, I don't think it's sustainable.

I always viewed CU as being in the middle of the country but moving east before this past football season I realized just how little exposure CU (or the other P12 teams) get just because of start times. It's brutal trying to watch a game that starts at 10 or 11 east coast time, and that has to be a consideration for player's families. in addition, it's easily a 4 hour flight to colorado from much of the east, whereas it's pretty much a maximum of 2.5 to any of the universities in the east from any of the other metro areas. There's a reason that proximity is the number 1 correlative factor to where recruits choose to go to school.

That said, I expect to see a little bit more focus on the east in this class and the next while the new coaches establish relationships with the coaching/player circles in the west.

The Texas/California talent pool is bigger than anything found on the east coast save Florida.

Even if it's true that the leftovers are better back east, I don't think it's sustainable.

I always viewed CU as being in the middle of the country but moving east before this past football season I realized just how little exposure CU (or the other P12 teams) get just because of start times. It's brutal trying to watch a game that starts at 10 or 11 east coast time, and that has to be a consideration for player's families. in addition, it's easily a 4 hour flight to colorado from much of the east, whereas it's pretty much a maximum of 2.5 to any of the universities in the east from any of the other metro areas. There's a reason that proximity is the number 1 correlative factor to where recruits choose to go to school.

That said, I expect to see a little bit more focus on the east in this class and the next while the new coaches establish relationships with the coaching/player circles in the west.
Perhaps it's time we do as HCMT talks about and drop the defeatist attitude and begin to ask "why not CU". Good recruiters get stuck in certain areas, great recruiters canvas the map. No excuses. Just get it done. I mean, at one point before the Mac era I imagine there was some talk of "I don't see Texas and California as sustainable".

I fully embrace HCMT's theory, it can be done at CU and it should be done at CU. No excuses. If HCMT believes he can grab quality athletes in the east, do it. Do it now.

The Pac-12 pool is plenty big enough, the issues are more about keeping those kids home than the amount of talent in those areas.

I used to think that too, but given the abysmal performance of the Pac-12 on OOC games (Especially against meaningful opponents and in bowl games) I am left to wonder if there is enough talent to go around.

It becomes obvious to me when I watch a big 12 game. (Never mind the SEC or the Big 10). The Pac 12 simply doesn’t pass the eye test. Those other teams look bigger stronger faster and tougher.

There is simply no other way to explain that other than the talent pool in the typical Pac 12 footprint.

Why cant we still land Vic So'oto as an OLB? If we are truly going after championships we need a top staff that can recruit against the rest of the PAC 12. MT has hired a solid staff so far. Hopefully the emphasis for the last 3 hires is recruiting. Over pay So'oto to get him here and then bring on up and coming TE and CB coaches that have lower salaries to make up for So'oto's. Maybe there is a similar coach out there, but he hits two key recruiting areas, So Cal and the Poly community, that are crucial to our success. It would be good get at least one coach that coached HS football in Texas too.

I'll say this about the hires for the trenches: I believe with zero doubt that if Kap & Brumbaugh had been our OL/DL coaches the past 2 seasons that we would have gone to bowl games.
OL will look a lot different even by this spring. 20# + across the board and north south run blocking with vertical pass sets. Personnel will be there and the offense will favor a physical running attach being the basis for the offense and playcalling. All the skill guys will benefit and our QB will be put in much better situations with a lot less to worry about.

The main thing I like about this staff is the diversity of backgrounds, something I think is inherent when hiring a coordinator and one of the biggest benefits.

One of the positives people generally tout for experienced head coaches is they are able to assemble good staffs, but it often comes across to me as ending up with "safe" hires because head coaches get too comfortable working with the same guys.

I used to think that too, but given the abysmal performance of the Pac-12 on OOC games (Especially against meaningful opponents and in bowl games) I am left to wonder if there is enough talent to go around.

It becomes obvious to me when I watch a big 12 game. (Never mind the SEC or the Big 10). The Pac 12 simply doesn’t pass the eye test. Those other teams look bigger stronger faster and tougher.

There is simply no other way to explain that other than the talent pool in the typical Pac 12 footprint.
But then if you look at the number of draft picks per conference (per team since we've got between 10 & 14 members per conference), the Pac-12 only finishes behind the SEC. I don't think the problem in the Pac-12 is talent, except for the depth of our DLs and some of us going too light on the OL with finesse blocking there.

That said, just as the other conferences go after California, Arizona, Colorado and Nevada players hard (not so much WA, UT & OR), the Pac-12 has to go after TX, LA, FL, GA, NJ, PA, MI, OH, etc. for players. We lose talent to other conferences from our footprint and are often too myopic in how we look at things instead of recruiting hard nationally.

Because the Pac-12 footprint is getting raided by OOC schools.

Not many Big 12 teams pass the eye test. Neither do many in the ACC.

The main thing I like about this staff is the diversity of backgrounds, something I think is inherent when hiring a coordinator and one of the biggest benefits.

One of the positives people generally tout for experienced head coaches is they are able to assemble good staffs, but it often comes across to me as ending up with "safe" hires because head coaches get too comfortable working with the same guys.
Seems like MT learned that lesson from Saban. Get accomplished coaches with ideas in the room, then work out the plan while leaving no doubt who is ultimately in charge with the final word on everything. If he follows that blueprint, we'll be in good shape.

Harbaugh does that too, as did Urban.

Just as with players, when it comes to your coaching staff there's no such thing as having too much talent.

Because the Pac-12 footprint is getting raided by OOC schools.

Not many Big 12 teams pass the eye test. Neither do many in the ACC.

Because they are a mid level Pac-12 school, Lets use ASU as an example. I would say that all of the Big-12 schools except Baylor, KU and TT look more athletic and play a better brand of football than our mid-level team.

Purely an eye test so certainly no evidence to my point but that is the way it looks to me.

But then if you look at the number of draft picks per conference (per team since we've got between 10 & 14 members per conference), the Pac-12 only finishes behind the SEC. I don't think the problem in the Pac-12 is talent, except for the depth of our DLs and some of us going too light on the OL with finesse blocking there.

That said, just as the other conferences go after California, Arizona, Colorado and Nevada players hard (not so much WA, UT & OR), the Pac-12 has to go after TX, LA, FL, GA, NJ, PA, MI, OH, etc. for players. We lose talent to other conferences from our footprint and are often too myopic in how we look at things instead of recruiting hard nationally.

Your NFL observation is a good one.

Totally agree with what you are saying in your second point which is what i believe HCMT is going to do.

Anyone we want from the GA Tech staff?

(FS) Georgia Tech: Geoff Collins has informed all ten of the full-time assistant coaches that they will not be retained, per a report from the AJC.

So we'll recruit nationally instead of just focusing on pockets in Texas and California and lil ol colorado. I love it.
So our new identity will be primarily as a power running team. Some take on SEC big boi football. I love that.

Please tell me that MT retained Hagan as a TE coach or a Grad Asst. or anything but the RB coach. We're Doomed.

If RG forced MT's hand about retaining Hagan then RG is at fault and just hamstrung his new hire.

If MT truly thinks Hagan was worth retaining as our RB coach then I have my first serious doubt about MT. Hey Mel, you gotta have good RB's to be able to rush the football.

The RB coach needs to recruit a couple fitting RB prospects between right now and February as I don't think there is a RB candidate on our entire team right now that could make the roster of an SEC team. I hope Tucker picked a good RB coach.

Strange, because I don’t remember the RB position being a weakness on this team. I think Evans probably got more carries than he truly earned, but it’s not like we didn’t get production from that position. Three 1,000 rushers in three years.

Strange, because I don’t remember the RB position being a weakness on this team. I think Evans probably got more carries than he truly earned, but it’s not like we didn’t get production from that position. Three 1,000 rushers in three years.

Zero depth at a position that generally needs depth.

And for a power running team, it is essential.

Back