What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in one Tumpkin DV allegation thread - fed judge dismisses lawsuit against CU

The SI piece was a hit piece. It omitted plenty.

Sure, it was meant to be salacious and assumed the worst about CU’s lack of action, but I’m not sure including CU’s explanation would’ve improved the optics because they really didn’t have a great story other than ignorance of school policy.

http://www.buffzone.com/columnists/...uit-dismissal-can-clear-mike-macintyres-focus
Too much opinion in his article, yet again. If I had my way, Rooney wouldn't get his Buffs football articles published. In this particular one he goes all captain obvious while filtering in errant descriptions. And for what? I learned or gained nothing from his article. Imo, he can stfu when it comes to Buffs football.

It is a lazy non-story.

The dismissal at this point is worth a footnote, not a column. The column provided no new information, no new insight, nothing of value.

What it looks like is a writer seeing an opportunity to take a day off. He simply re-stated a bunch of stuff that is already public record. It looks like a "Hey, I need a column before the deadline but don't want to bother going and interviewing anybody or generating any new information. Let's look in the file, I'd bet I can rework a bunch of this old stuff into a new piece and get it done early enough to make happy hour at the bar."

http://www.buffzone.com/columnists/...uit-dismissal-can-clear-mike-macintyres-focus
Too much opinion in his article, yet again. If I had my way, Rooney wouldn't get his Buffs football articles published. In this particular one he goes all captain obvious while filtering in errant descriptions. And for what? I learned or gained nothing from his article. Imo, he can stfu when it comes to Buffs football.
It's not a news article. It's an opinion column. It's clearly labelled as such. You can disagree with his opinion or feel that an opinion piece wasn't needed (as I do), but criticizing a column for having too much opinion is ridiculous.

3scRT1y.png

It's not a news article. It's an opinion column. It's clearly labelled as such. You can disagree with his opinion or feel that an opinion piece wasn't needed (as I do), but criticizing a column for having too much opinion is ridiculous.

3scRT1y.png
It may well be an editorial full of opinions (didn't read), but wondering why you circled columnist.

col·um·nist
ˈkäləmnəst,ˈkäləməst/
noun
noun: columnist; plural noun: columnists
a journalist contributing regularly to a newspaper or magazine.
synonyms:writer, contributor, journalist, correspondent, newspaperman, newspaperwoman, newsman, newswoman; More
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It may well be an editorial full of opinions (didn't read), but wondering why you circled columnist.

col·um·nist
ˈkäləmnəst,ˈkäləməst/
noun
noun: columnist; plural noun: columnists
a journalist contributing regularly to a newspaper or magazine.
synonyms:writer, contributor, journalist, correspondent, newspaperman, newspaperwoman, newsman, newswoman; More
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Because the widely accepted definition of a newspaper column is:

A column is a recurring piece or article in a newspaper, magazine or other publication, where a writer expresses their own opinion in few columns allotted to them by the newspaper organisation. Columns are written by columnists.

What differentiates a column from other forms of journalism is that it is a regular feature in a publication – written by the same writer or reporter and usually on the same subject area or theme each time – and that it typically, but not universally, contains the author's opinion or point of view.

Last edited:

3scRT1y.png
I can handle that, though I think the greater ridiculousness lies with the columnist in this situation as far as content and presentation, and his overall trend that I've pointed out before.
I have nothing against Rooney personally, just bothered by the overall character of many of his columns as a journalist, and this particular one is another example over a sensitive topic, the combination of which is ill-advised.

I can handle that, though I think the greater ridiculousness lies with the columnist in this situation as far as content and presentation, and his overall trend that I've pointed out before.
I have nothing against Rooney personally, just bothered by the overall character of many of his columns as a journalist, and this particular one is another example over a sensitive topic, the combination of which is ill-advised.

Woody. Paige. Is Ridiculous.

Tumpkin pleads guilty to third degree misdemeanor assault. Sentencing scheduled for April. This is almost 30 months ... 30 months! ... after charges were filed.

Compare that timeline to the 3 weeks it took for CU leadership to investigate and issue discipline.

Of course the media continues to highlight how CU failed to act quickly enough. SMH.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion CU did a good job on this. They investigated and disciplined. They were not over the top in chopping heads, and they didn’t take the easy out of saying “we are monitoring the court cases and will respect the process”. I’m proud to root for a university that tries to do the right thing. A young lady got beat up. Opinions will vary on how dramatic the response should be. I’m just glad we aren’t OSU or Baylor where the response was to try to make it go away.

Tough situation all around. Cases dismissed or plea deals being made because there’s been no evidence presented to back up the alleged victim’s allegations. Again- tough call when anyone can accuse anybody of anything and it has to be assumed as truth? SMH. Regardless of where the truth lies, many lives were impacted. Coach Mac did as he was trained to do and CU let him down.

I have no idea how Phil D still has a job.
It's really baffling. The AD hates Phil. The Academic Faculty hates "Uncle Phil." All the grad students i've come across hate Phil. He's a laughingstock and a punching bag for the media. Objectively he pretty much ****s up any time he deals with undergrads or campus-wide issues.

The only group who seems to support Phil are the ones who determine whether or not he has a job.

Tumpkin pleads guilty to third degree misdemeanor assault. Sentencing scheduled for April. This is almost 30 months ... 30 months! ... after charges were filed.

Compare that timeline to the 3 weeks it took for CU leadership to investigate and issue discipline.

Of course the media continues to highlight how CU failed to act quickly enough. SMH.

And wasn't the criticism on HCMM how he handled things too by the book?

And wasn't the criticism on HCMM how he handled things too by the book?

CU published the results of the internal investigation provided by an outside law firm. The criticism involved not contacting CU’s compliance organization and farming out legal representation to a booster.

The one thing MacIntyre did was notify his chain of command. And he assumed that was enough.

Saying it took 3 weeks belies some serious missteps from December to January. Worth remembering CU basically got a heads up from the Daily Camera or Tumpkin would have likely been on the job longer.

Back