What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in one Tumpkin DV allegation thread - fed judge dismisses lawsuit against CU

Saying it took 3 weeks belies some serious missteps from December to January. Worth remembering CU basically got a heads up from the Daily Camera or Tumpkin would have likely been on the job longer.

Again - double standard whereby justice as administered by the employer has a completely different timetable and expectation than justice administered by the courts.

I don’t disagree with your assessment that CU could have, should have, would have known about the restraining order sooner and not hand Tumpkin DC duties in the Alamo Bowl. That was bad.

However it seems capricious that CU is on the hook for severing an employee in a small fraction the time it takes for the justice system to press charges and issue a sentence.

As to where CU has to get it perfect between Dec and Jan, the justice system has over two years to plead felony charges down to a misdemeanor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again - double standard whereby justice as administered by the employer has a completely different timetable and expectation than justice administered by the courts.

I don’t disagree with your assessment that CU could have, should have, would have known about the restraining order sooner and not hand Tumpkin DC duties in the Alamo Bowl. That was bad.

However it seems capricious that CU is in the hook for severing an employee in the time it takes for the justice system to press charges.

As to where CU has to get it perfect between Dec and Jan, the justice system has over two years to plead felony charges down to a misdemeanor.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the victim specifically stated that she did not want Tumpkin to lose his job. That, in turn, made it challenging if not impossible to adequately address the situation.

This entire thing was a giant mess.

:ROFLMAO: Duff loves the judicial system.

Of course there is a double standard. You act like you have broken some complex code with that observation.

An employer able to make a decision more quickly than the judgement from the legal system falls into the "no ****" category. That is a good thing.

Of course there is a double standard. You act like you have broken some complex code with that observation.

An employer able to make a decision more quickly than the judgement from the legal system falls into the "no ****" category. That is a good thing.

Awe - you do agree with the plea deal. Way to take a stand against domestic violence!

I also know where you stand when it comes to employers sanctioning employees for misdemeanors occurring beyond the workplace. (y)

I never made a single observation about the plea deal. Not a single one. So stop with this new tactic of saying I am a DUI apologist or I tacitly condone domestic violence. Try to step out of your "defendant bad and harshest punishment good" worldview every now and then.

As far as his employment prospects in the future, he should have some opportunity for redemption in the future. It just might have to be in a completely new profession.

It's really baffling. The AD hates Phil. The Academic Faculty hates "Uncle Phil." All the grad students i've come across hate Phil. He's a laughingstock and a punching bag for the media. Objectively he pretty much ****s up any time he deals with undergrads or campus-wide issues.

The only group who seems to support Phil are the ones who determine whether or not he has a job.
I was under the impression that the players think he’s fantastic based on people’s past posts here? I thought he was getting forced out decade ago.

I never made a single observation about the plea deal. Not a single one. So stop with this new tactic of saying I am a DUI apologist or I tacitly condone domestic violence. Try to step out of your "defendant bad and harshest punishment good" worldview every now and then.

As far as his employment prospects in the future, he should have some opportunity for redemption in the future. It just might have to be in a completely new profession.

Live by the sarcastic snark, die by the sarcastic snark. Good to see you taking it as well as you are dishing it out. (y)

We can break this cycle together!

Why no observation about the plea deal?

If Art Briles can get a job coaching, Tumpkin can, too. It will probably require a significant step back from a P-5 staff, though. Maybe high school for a few years, keep his nose clean, take some anger management classes, and then make his way back. America is a country of second and third chances.

Live by the sarcastic snark, die by the sarcastic snark. Good to see you taking it as well as you are dishing it out. (y)

We can break this cycle together!

Why no observation about the plea deal?

You are not being snarky so much as constantly pivoting. I get it, it is what you do.

Why no observation about the plea deal? I guess I was not aware I was on the clock to make a detailed assessment. Given your observations essentially amount to only amount of time it has taken to get to sentencing, seems like you did not have much interest in actually discussing the case itself. My mistake.

If Art Briles can get a job coaching, Tumpkin can, too. It will probably require a significant step back from a P-5 staff, though. Maybe high school for a few years, keep his nose clean, take some anger management classes, and then make his way back. America is a country of second and third chances.

Given his issues with anger and alcohol, not sure him trying to get back into the instability of college football coaching is a wise choice.

He will find it very hard to get a HS job with a DV on his record, too much potential liability and in some states it will be specifically prohibited.

His likely path would be at a JUCO or at a lower level school (D2 or potentially FCS.)

You are not being snarky so much as constantly pivoting. I get it, it is what you do.

Why no observation about the plea deal? I guess I was not aware I was on the clock to make a detailed assessment. Given your observations essentially amount to only amount of time it has taken to get to sentencing, seems like you did not have much interest in actually discussing the case itself. My mistake.

This is the right place to talk all things Tumpkin. :)

There are 4 areas that are interesting to me following the fresh news about his plea deal: 1)- the time lines, 2) the results and its implications for victims of sexual abuse, 3) coverage by the press that is fixated on CU, and 4) the impact on the university and all the participants going forward.

With all that focus on what I do and how I discuss things - thanks for the rent free beach front property

Thanks for confirming with that last paragraph what many had long suspected. It was obvious, but always nice to get confirmation straight from the source.

Thanks for confirming with that last paragraph what many had long suspected. It was obvious, but always nice to get confirmation straight from the source.

What I suspect is that you’re more keen on shaming me than discussing anything to do with JT.

"I do not know how you have reduced me to arguing in this muck, but I do not approve and will not tolerate such abhorrent conduct!"

-95% (roughly) of Skidmark's conclusions to an argument

"I do not know how you have reduced me to arguing in this muck, but I do not approve and will not tolerate such abhorrent conduct!"

-95% (roughly) of Skidmark's conclusions to an argument

[Insert petty vendictive snarky comment]: Duff’s last ditch effort to save face before declaring he’s had enough.

I think we passed petty a while ago, but sure.

It was at the point you opted to back away from taking a stand on domestic violence.

From my perspective, the plea down to a misdemeanor doesn’t do much to embolden women who claim to have been beaten, bitten, an dragged across the floor by the roots of their hair to come forward.

Of course, I dragged the discourse down.

My stance is it seems like a light punishment. Sorry that is too weak of a stand.

I don’t know that there needs to be a stand taken against domestic violence in this thread. That’s kind of the default setting. I don’t see anybody here claiming it’s a good thing.

I don’t know that there needs to be a stand taken against domestic violence in this thread. That’s kind of the default setting. I don’t see anybody here claiming it’s a good thing.

Not even when it relates to Tumpkin’s guilty plea?

The silence towards the one-count third degree misdemeanor assault charge speaks volumes.

Not even when it relates to Tumpkin’s guilty plea?

The silence towards the one-count third degree misdemeanor assault charge speaks volumes.
I’m unsure what you’re fishing for here. What is it that you’d like to have people say?

I still think MM was thrown under the bus. $100,000 fine for doing pretty much exactly as he was told to do. He was in a no win situation and CU didn’t have his back at all.

Well, tbf, CU is paying him monster millions and letting him double dip even though there’s a good legal case for CU to sue him for an offset. The $100K is no big deal compared to what he’ll be getting.

Well, tbf, CU is paying him monster millions and letting him double dip even though there’s a good legal case for CU to sue him for an offset. The $100K is no big deal compared to what he’ll be getting.
There is no legal case for CU to sue. The lawyers looked it over and it's absolutely been decided that CU wrote a ****ty contract.

Back