What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in one Tumpkin DV allegation thread - fed judge dismisses lawsuit against CU

So it's okay if the coaches get intoxicated the evening before a game but what about the players? Isn't there a reason players stay in hotels the night before even a home game?

Not buying that at all.
My personal experience with alcohol suggests that the impact of intoxication the evening before a game would have a much more profound impact on the physical tasks a player is expected to perform than on the mental, emotional and motivational tasks coaches are expected to perform. Legal activities conducted by people on their own time in their own homes are their own business. JT didn't cross a line getting ****-faced; the line was crossed, allegedly, when he committed violence against another.

I hope MM and RG show some compassion and keep him but mandate that he gets the requisite help. I'm a fan of second chances and MM has handed out a few since he's been here.

And now we know why it has been so quiet on the D.C. front. Silver lining: no ackward discussions with the new D.C. on bringing in "his guys".

Let me get this straight...she was choked, thrown around, had her hair pulled and he bit her and she's called police and nothing ever happened? Either the cops aren't doing their jobs or she's way over-sensationalizing this story.

DV is serious ****, cops take you for anything. I broke up with my ex because she became an alcoholic lunatic. She started breaking and throwing everything and scratched the **** out of my neck. She went outside to smoke on the patio and I locked her out for 5 minutes. She called the cops (I didn't know) and they showed up shortly after and arrested me. So yeah, I don't buy he beat the **** out of her and the cops let it go.

We need some good news bad. This is starting to go off the tracks since the end of the utah game.
Now is when MM will earn the Coach of the year x5 awards.

Guys, innocent before proven guilty remember?

Maybe it is just a coincidence she waited until the very day Leavitt was named D coordinator at Oregon, putting Joe in contention for a promotion, to file this. Even though it had been going on since Feb 2015.

This is just one side of the story (okay, hopefully).

Or, maybe that is the day she got up the courage to not want to live with that anymore. Innocent before proven guilty is something of a legal safeguard. It should not apply to situations in which the safety and guidance of people could be compromised.

Innocence until proven guilty, and beyond a reasonable doubt are good standards to use when you're talking about calling down the full force and power of the government to take away the fundamental rights of a human being. They are good and necessary checks against government power.

In other words, they limit the power the government has to take away fundamental human rights, like the liberty to not be behind bars.

They are not good standards by which to decide who is or is not a good representative of your institution or good role model and mentor for young men.

He needs to be gone yesterday.

Glad you took this on, too. You phrased it quite well.

Let me get this straight...she was choked, thrown around, had her hair pulled and he bit her and she's called police and nothing ever happened? Either the cops aren't doing their jobs or she's way over-sensationalizing this story.

DV is serious ****, cops take you for anything. I broke up with my ex because she became an alcoholic lunatic. She started breaking and throwing everything and scratched the **** out of my neck. She went outside to smoke on the patio and I locked her out for 5 minutes. She called the cops (I didn't know) and they showed up shortly after and arrested me. So yeah, I don't buy he beat the **** out of her and the cops let it go.

The very reason the cops often will do nothing is the situation you described. It leaves a bias for police to in the future engage in he said she said ineffectiveness. Meanwhile, women who have been beat (a friend of mine had marks AND bite wounds from where he held her down while his dog attacked her) often get advised to just go somewhere else. Nothing happens to the man. That is the truth - this is still an issue in this day and age because of the nonaction, the second guessing, and legal games. Not to mention calls for second chances when we know second chances for DV don't work.

On the flip side, my buddy was (is) in the process of a divorce. His wife flipped out and started hitting him so he packed some items as she was hitting him and left. Soon gets surrounded by 6 police cars. Guns drawn, is pulled out. She pulls up and starts spouting all these claims of thing he supposedly did. After about 45 minutes my friend is released...and she gets cuffed and taken in.

Not always the case of course. But there is false claims laid against people all the time too.

On the flip side, my buddy was (is) in the process of a divorce. His wife flipped out and started hitting him so he packed some items as she was hitting him and left. Soon gets surrounded by 6 police cars. Guns drawn, is pulled out. She pulls up and starts spouting all these claims of thing he supposedly did. After about 45 minutes my friend is released...and she gets cuffed and taken in.

Not always the case of course. But there is false claims laid against people all the time too.
Exactly why innocent until proven guilty is more than just a safeguard, and it absolutely applies to ever criminal allegation, without qualification.

Exactly why innocent until proven guilty is more than just a safeguard, and it absolutely applies to ever criminal allegation, without qualification.

Inside the judicial system, yes.

Businesses can and do make hiring and firing decisions all the time without enlisting the help of the courts.

Inside the judicial system, yes.

Businesses can and do make hiring and firing decisions all the time without enlisting the help of the courts.
Yeah I'm just thinking about this from the criminal implications. Unless the report was almost entirely fabricated, Tumpkin should, and probably will be fired from CU. Can't have those kind of allegations against a person in a position of trust with "kids".

There's also the severity of the claim. Patrick Roy apparently ripped a door off its hinges in a confrontation with his wife. Physically intimidating, but not actually physically abusive (IIRC, that was a long time ago and my
Memory of the situation is a little fuzzy). What Tumpkin is accused of is a whole lot worse. Had he just torn a door off its hinges, we wouldn't be talking about dismissing him. As it stands, I'm disgusted by the reports I'm reading. I don't want him associated with Colorado Football.

I hope MM and RG show some compassion and keep him but mandate that he gets the requisite help. I'm a fan of second chances and MM has handed out a few since he's been here.
You serious?? Are you prepared to give similar second chances to every player who roughs up his girlfriend? If alcohol is an issue, you can offer help without keeping him on staff - he should be fired yesterday.

Not a good couple of weeks. Saw this brought up earlier, didnt go back and look for it, apologies. Did Mac2, RG, not know this happened?

Hope Tomkins gets help and improves things moving forward. He has some issues and I hope he can get things straight in that part of his life.

As for CU, you were hiring a new DC anyway. Get it done with a topen flight candidate who runs the 3-4 and have him assemble his staff. Time to move though to settle this down and move on. Now.

Anyone know what the standard of evidence is in Colorado for a judge to grant a temporary restraining order? Is an accusation enough or does there need to be some evidence beyond that?

Bottom of the article:

While the report indicates that the woman did call police, at this time, Tumpkin has not been arrested in connection with any of the allegations, according to court records.

Colorado law requires a police officer to make an arrest where probable cause exists that a domestic violence offense has been committed. Police responding to such event would likely look for and note physical marks on the complainants body and that would be enough to make an arrest. Which they didnt.

As for the Temporary order:

How judges issue protective orders
A judge issues a "temporary civil protective order" when, after considering written or oral evidence, the judge finds that an imminent danger exists to the person or persons seeking the order. When the judge writes the temporary protective order, the court issues a citation to the defendant, ordering the defendant to appear for a hearing. After conducting the hearing, the court may make the temporary order a permanent order of protection if it determines that the defendant:
  • committed acts constituting grounds for issuance of a protective order, and
  • will continue to commit such acts unless restrained.
Link (Lawfirm website)

If your a judge and a woman comes to court making such claims are your going to err on the side of safety for a temporary complaint? It doesnt sound like the process required Tumpkin to be in the room at first to tell his side. He might not have found out about this until he received the citation.

Let the process run its course.

Last edited:
What a momentum killer. HCMM and RG need to do what you expect our players to do. Get the momentum back.

You have to remember Boulder PD is kinda sketchy at best and he is a coach at CU.

Broomfield PD.

That's where all the incidents took place, according to the article. She filed in Boulder County.

Does Broomfield still use Boulder County judicial system even though they split off as a separate county several years ago?

A friend from HS who is cop in Miami has numerous times arrested both parties in DV calls. She'd look for any signs of a physical altercation.

There's also the severity of the claim. Patrick Roy apparently ripped a door off its hinges in a confrontation with his wife. Physically intimidating, but not actually physically abusive (IIRC, that was a long time ago and my
Memory of the situation is a little fuzzy). What Tumpkin is accused of is a whole lot worse. Had he just torn a door off its hinges, we wouldn't be talking about dismissing him. As it stands, I'm disgusted by the reports I'm reading. I don't want him associated with Colorado Football.

Very well stated.

Every one of us here who is married has at some point in our lives been angry at our wife at some level. That is normal.

How we handle that anger is what matters. The only time, and absolutely the only time, when getting physical with a woman is okay is if it is done to protect another innocent or vulnerable person from harm, and in that case the physical intervention is only allowable up to the point necessary to keep that other person safe.

In other words if a husband has to wrestle his wife away from abusing the kids or her elderly mother then I can see it, otherwise it isn't okay.

We have whole threads here (rightly) bashing Baylor for their ongoing willingness to turn a blind eye to anything that would get in the way of their winning. This is in no way comparable to the behavior going on at Baylor but we need to recognize that a university is a place that young men and women go to in the process of maturing into young adults from kids. The people you have in leadership positions sends a strong message to those students and the community as a whole.

I want CU to win lots of football games and to bathe the university in glory. It isn't acceptable however to compromise basic decency and values to attain that. I would rather support a 7 win team with quality human beings running it.

DV is rarely a single time event, what gets reported is the time that the cops got called. I'm not going to say that if there is any validity to the report, and he does deserve at least an examination of the facts prior to action being taken, that the redemption needs to happen someplace other that on the CU campus.

Let him go sell cars or process service orders or coach at Baylor or Nebraska. Do something where his actions are not going to reflect poorly on the image of his employer and those around him. If in time he can get his act together then he can come back into coaching at some normal P5 school.

We took JL but only after he had spent a couple years in a different setting showing that his transgression wasn't part of who he normally is. Tumpkin can do the same but not here.

Unless Tumpkin admits to some sort of physical abuse, we'll likely never know what happened. I don't foresee a prosecution based on uncorroborated allegations of a woman who lived a thousand miles away from the alleged abuser but voluntarily traveled to be with him even after being assaulted. Not that I necessarily think that means she's not telling the truth, just that her story would be obliterated on cross examination. This most likely ends with a permanent order of protection and maybe a civil suit if she's so inclined.

That means the AD will have to base its decision on its own investigation, which can be a pretty precarious place to be. I agree with those who say Tumpkin can't be promoted in this situation, I do think he could keep his present job, though.

A friend from HS who is cop in Miami has numerous times arrested both parties in DV calls. She'd look for any signs of a physical altercation.

How it should be.

Maybe getting them both in front of a judge will help one or both decide to move on to a healthier relationship or at least get away from one that the next time could be more damaging.

Broomfield PD.

That's where all the incidents took place, according to the article. She filed in Boulder County.

Does Broomfield still use Boulder County judicial system even though they split off as a separate county several years ago?
No. Broomfield County has it's own court.

That's how it should be. A lot of times they jump to arrest the guy initially regardless of fact. I'm not saying she's lying and I'm not saying him touching her is even remotely okay. Just that I find it hard to believe a cop looked the other way if she was getting beaten. Maybe they did, maybe there weren't marks, I don't know. But DV is serious these days and they RARELY just let it go.

Back