What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All Starting College QBs Ranked - Montez Comes In At #41

• STEVEN MONTEZQB, COLORADO BUFFALOES

Colorado redshirt senior QB Steven Montez was fifth in PFF's "big-time throws" metric among returning Pac-12 quarterbacks.

Montez (6'5/235) is a candidate to improve on last year's 21 big-time throws with Laviska Shenault and K.D. Nixon back. Shenault, one of the three best receivers in the country, has room to improve as a deep-threat and Montez has enough accuracy to convert more deep throws. For Montez to be drafted, he'll need to lead a more explosive offense. Consider Montez as a UDFA with Day 3 promise.
    SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter
    Jul 3, 2019, 1:53 PM ET

Steven Montez, senior, Colorado
He’s very raw, but he’s got the size (6' 5", 230 pounds), a cannon for an arm and one of the nation’s best receivers in Laviska Shenault at his disposal. And with new coach Mel Tucker bringing OC Jay Johnson with him from Georgia, Montez should have a shot at showing what he can do within the context of a pro offense. Projections I got on where Montez will be drafted varied wildly.
“He’s a good kid with a big arm, who doesn’t throw to the middle of the field with accuracy, like RG3 was,” Dilfer said. “He’s accurate if his eyes stay on the same receivers, but if he has to move them, he hasn’t been very accurate. And he’s got a small catalog of throws right now.”
In other words, the growth potential is there, but time is running short. And so he may have a first-round arm, but he’s a Day 3 pick, at best, until further notice.

The thing that worries me the most about Montez is how he always locks onto his first read and doesnt scan the field.

Also its a pet peeve for me when scouts keep listing "has a cannon for an arm" as a strength. The nfl has shown that doesnt really matter. As long as a player has above average arm strength, theres basically no value added for "having a cannon". Only a few of the top half of nfl quarterbacks have cannons. its a pretty insignificant factor, compared to most other traits for a good quarterback.

Last edited:
I do believe part of that is a function of not having confidence in the OL, which leads to not feeling comfortable going through the progressions. I’m not letting Montez off the hook, but it’s not just him.
I agree its not only his fault, but he still has to find a way to read the field with pressure in his face to prove to me that hes an nfl caliber qb. Successful Nfl quarterbacks almost all had the ability to carry their team on their back in college.

During the 2015 Super Bowl year, the Broncos took turns hitting Brady with relentless pressure in the 20-18 win. Tom Brady looked awful in that game. 56 passer rating.

So, it's always important to factor the protection into any evaluation. Last year was brutal and I'll credit the kid for marching out there each week.

During the 2015 Super Bowl year, the Broncos took turns hitting Brady with relentless pressure in the 20-18 win. Tom Brady looked awful in that game. 56 passer rating.

So, it's always important to factor the protection into any evaluation. Last year was brutal and I'll credit the kid for marching out there each week.
That is a terrible example... Tom Brady was treated like a human punching bag all game, while his teammates gave him no help and he STILL completely put his team on his back at the end of the game, leading them on two straight fourth quarter touchdown drives (i think, my memory is a bit hazy, since that game was 5 years ago), pretty much singlehandedly keeping his team in the game. Despite facing off against possibly one of the best defenses of all time

The pats were a missed 2 pt conversion away from tying and possibly winning the game, because of him, while the rest of his team was outmatched by the Broncos... if anything, you are making MY point for me, using that example

The thing that worries me the most about Montez is how he always locks onto his first read and doesnt scan the field.

Also its a pet peeve for me when scouts keep listing "has a cannon for an arm" as a strength. The nfl has shown that doesnt really matter. As long as a player has above average arm strength, theres basically no value added for "having a cannon". Only a few of the top half of nfl quarterbacks have cannons. its a pretty insignificant factor, compared to most other traits for a good quarterback.
Your second paragraph isn’t quite accurate. While you don’t need a “cannon”, arm strength is a big indicator for QB success. I read some crazy stat that no QB drafted has ever been a pro bowl QB throwing under a certain velocity. It’s why they put so much weight on exit velocity at the combine. I’ll try and dig it up.

I agree its not only his fault, but he still has to find a way to read the field with pressure in his face to prove to me that hes an nfl caliber qb. Successful Nfl quarterbacks almost all had the ability to carry their team on their back in college.
There wasn't a single qb playing college ball last year that would have done a whole lot better than he did. It was a joke of an offense with a bigger joke of an OLine, and all of it belongs to every coach on the offensive staff from last year. I have HOPE and EXPECTATIONS for the first time since coach Mac. I think after his senior season, Montez will be looked at quite differently. By both scouts and dumbass fans like us.

Another way to look at it is what did Montez do to win the past two seasons? He distributed to Shenault, what else?
Somewhere else I read that he has a limited portfolio of throws. Arm strength notwithstanding, I think that is a real telling statement.

Back