What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All things Nebraska thread Osborne Edition

Is Bo gonna bring the Huskers back to ELITE status?

• Total voters
Re: Don't Let The Bugeaters Have Something Else To Gloat About

you know what is funny? is the overwhelming number of fuskers sitting in mommies basement who feel it their duty to click on to for 10 straight hours.

:lol: GBR!

TO is now at 45%. This is a 4% bump following the 'mommy's basement' post. Coincidence, or unintended consequence?

TO is now at 45%. This is a 4% bump following the 'mommy's basement' post. Coincidence, or unintended consequence?

i think the latter. :lol: they really think they will show the world that despite hard numbers with evidence to the contrary, that to is god. and they have the time to do it, whittling away the hours at mom's.

that, and they have no money to spend this christmas, so they have no need to go shopping. its hard to be generous when your career tagline is, "welcome to mcdonald's. can i take take your order?"

dang, i want to feel better soon. staying home from work sick is an exercise in boredom. :huh:

Re: OK, Corn lurkers...TO is filling Bo's staff with Solich/TO assisstants....

Milt Tenopir was the Father of the Pipeline, Waylon. You have to respect that. I think he's probably like 125 years old by now. He was old when I was 17. Also, Ron Brown is as good a human being and character-builder as anyone around college football. Looks like TO is getting things headed back to an Organizational Culture that worked for years for the Corn. Won't be long and it will be Hawkins v. Pellini for the North title, year in and year out. I for one, look forward to a rivalry that will mean something. It's good for both schools.

jumping gee-wilikers! first waylon thinks that mangino coaches at k-state. then he has no idea about a key figure in the history of his own favored team.

i thought sker fans were the ones that knew everything.

are we at the end of the world? should i finish ordering christmas presents, or should i just buy a houseful of maker's and try to turn myself alcoholic?

Re: Is this gonna be a good hire for NU?

Is Bo Pelini gonna bring NU back to dominance? I have mixed emotions. I think any good defensive minded coach is a good bet. Bo is unproven as a head coach, but so was Bob Stoops.
I have heard Bo is not a very good recruiter, but a good recruiting staff can change that.

If I were a Nebraska fan, the bolded statement, if true, would scare me. I do not agree that a good recruiting staff can make up for a head coach that is a poor recruiter. When it comes down to it, the head coach has to be able to seal the deal with a potential recruit. Look at all of the best college coaches, Saban, Carroll, Meyer, Brown, Miles, etc. They are all outstanding recruiters who can sell a program and get kids to sign on the dotted line.

I think this hire is a crapshoot for Nebraska.

I too would like to see the kiddies of the corn get better since I see that as good for the Buffs.

i think the latter. :lol: they really think they will show the world that despite hard numbers with evidence to the contrary, that to is god. and they have the time to do it, whittling away the hours at mom's.

that, and they have no money to spend this christmas, so they have no need to go shopping. its hard to be generous when your career tagline is, "welcome to mcdonald's. can i take take your order?"

dang, i want to feel better soon. staying home from work sick is an exercise in boredom. :huh:

Sorry UR sick. Hope you rally and get over what is ailing you, too.

BTW - You have been posting here all day. Is it my posts you find boring, or everyone here on AB? :)

Milt Tenopir was the Father of the Pipeline, Waylon. You have to respect that. I think he's probably like 125 years old by now. He was old when I was 17. Also, Ron Brown is as good a human being and character-builder as anyone around college football. Looks like TO is getting things headed back to an Organizational Culture that worked for years for the Corn. Won't be long and it will be Hawkins v. Pellini for the North title, year in and year out. I for one, look forward to a rivalry that will mean something. It's good for both schools.

you speak with much wisdom WB, much wisdom indeed. I do not disrespect Uncle Milty.... my angle is more that although it has turned into old home week, this staff is still young, not a retirement home. Milt is still around the program and has never strayed far away, Dan young is still coaching down south somewhere.... but they are both well into their 60's if not 70's. I am thinking who the oldest coach might be on this staff and it might be Ron Brown??? he might be all of 52???? I heard Milt say it himself, that Cotton was a better coach than he was... of course Milt was drinking a bit, and he was saying what the crowd wanted to hear but it was his own way of saying he did not have "it" anymore.

the more I am looking at this staff the more I like what I see and read. NU was stated by Mac himself as saying to have lost their identity, teams did not fear or feel it after they played Nu anymore.... I see this staff as a return to a physical style, yeah they will run some WCO but they WILL RUN THE F'IN BALL, D's will feel it from this point forward... that gets the juices flowing!.... of course it is a full glass of kool-aide, but its not that bad.:thumbsup::wink2:

not surprisingly there are three open 'VOTE FOR TO' threads on huskerpedia... as if they NEED to rally the trailer parks to get out and vote for pencilneck

Re: Tom Osborne got his "yes" man in BO

there you go again. the south division just laid wood to the north champion. who, by the way, was the #1 ranked team in the country.

the arse kickings everyone has laid on the huskers is the BEST part of the conference right now. either that, or the perma-meltdown of the red. :smile2:
The big 1 and little 5 in the South.... Herbstreit said at the onset of the season that any of 5 teams from the S would win the N??? looks like OU saved their bacon from here. To bad they lost to CU or they would be playing for the NC.

The big 1 and little 5 in the South.... Herbstreit said at the onset of the season that any of 5 teams from the S would win the N??? looks like OU saved their bacon from here. To bad they lost to CU or they would be playing for the NC.

actually, it was the loss to tech that took that possibility away from them, as they were three short games from the trip.

also, i would be hesitant to claim the north is dominant, as north-south matchups ended up being almost 50-50, and a south team is, in fact, the champion.

Sorry UR sick. Hope you rally and get over what is ailing you, too.

BTW - You have been posting here all day. Is it my posts you find boring, or everyone here on AB? :)

it is the fact that i would rather chew my arm off than sit at home. allbuffs has never been, nor could be, construed as a boredom.

nor could you, in particular. :thumbsup:

actually, it was the loss to tech that took that possibility away from them, as they were three short games from the trip.

also, i would be hesitant to claim the north is dominant, as north-south matchups ended up being almost 50-50, and a south team is, in fact, the champion.
so CU's win went for not? hummmm, interesting web we weave.:wink2: you are a fan of which team again?

so CU's win went for not? hummmm, interesting web we weave.:wink2: you are a fan of which team again?

just laying it out as it happened in real time. even after the loss to cu, okie was indeed positioned to go to the mnc game. it was the tech loss that screwed it for them.

there really are asterisks to that game, which is why the voters in the end gave a lot of love to okie. however, asterisks aside, it was that game that prevented me from going to new orleans.

i am more than acutely aware of how it all went down.

rumor is that unless darrin erstad gets a significant deal to play baseball this year, he could head back to nebraska as an asst coach for pelini.

Just exactly how old are the fossils filling in this staff? reason I ask is that todays kid is a wayyyyyyyyyyy different breed from the days of Fusker lore.

i was thinking about all this talk about TO running things from 'behind the curtain' and having his thumb and most of these staff decisions....does this AT ALL remind anyone else of Al Davis in Oakland........?
:wow:

So when TO (not Tom Osbourne but TO=Too Old), and his new coaching staff fail miserably will that little crusty man fire himself?

I am thinking who the oldest coach might be on this staff and it might be Ron Brown??? he might be all of 52????

He may not be that old, but when is that last time that he coached. 5 years ago? That is a reach and husker fans know it.

Barney Cotton - he of "the real big red" fame. How is the spin going on that one on the other boards?

Whos taking odds on Bo's first blow up after getting taken to the woodshed by another team. Is he going to blow a stack at Frank Beamer when V Tech destroys them next year? Or will he make it till Gary Pinkel puts 50 on them?

I forgot my favorite little tidbit. They have a new coach, but TO is still calling himself a coach so that he can still go out and recruit. Seriously. Who again is running the show?

The love for all things TO is blinding the corn to what is really going on, but I seriously think that TO is ****ing this program over. The old mans hubris is going to screw them for years to come.

Re: What a mistake this is

Good and then we he wins the ship and realizes how much he loves LSU, he'll go back leaving Nebraska with Sean Watson to coach!!

OKAY,Bring back marolt,Mac,uzelac,simmons,bienemy,embree,barnett.. .

Matter of fact,let's bring back DOC too.WE will win a NC in 2009.

Re: OKAY,Bring back marolt,Mac,uzelac,simmons,bienemy,embree,barnett.. .

Matter of fact,let's bring back DOC too.WE will win a NC in 2009.

Do you think Miles will come back as an assistant, too?:smile2:

I forgot my favorite little tidbit. They have a new coach, but TO is still calling himself a coach so that he can still go out and recruit. Seriously. Who again is running the show?.
TO even signed a kid 2 days ago.... I dunno, was it his call or Bo's? TO put out the offer to old players to feel welcome again and feel free to stop by... and a coach (and former walk on) went to visit TO in Lincoln, his son could not get a sniff from Cally 6'4" 215# unranked by one and a 1 star by the other and when TO heard the story and heard the kid had become an OU fan he went ape$hit... it was in the f'in paper. I bout fell off the toilet upon reading it, TO gave him a full ride offer.

The love for all things TO is blinding the corn to what is really going on, but I seriously think that TO is ****ing this program over. The old mans hubris is going to screw them for years to come.
I have to say at this point, TRUE.... maybe not the part about screwing it up for years to come but TO has a total pass with the entire state and our media (for now).

He may not be that old, but when is that last time that he coached. 5 years ago? That is a reach and husker fans know it.?
Again, TRUE. He turned down offers to be WR coach at FSU, OC at his alma matter and several other jobs to stay in Lincoln (wife is a Ne gal) and keep his position with the Christian Athletes thing...... It has been common knowledge (and in a recent OWH article) that Bo has said for years that where ever he got his first HC gig that RB would be his first hire and RB never denied it. I like him and the hire, the time off does not concern me FWIW.

Barney Cotton - he of "the real big red" fame. How is the spin going on that one on the other boards??

Whos taking odds on Bo's first blow up after getting taken to the woodshed by another team. Is he going to blow a stack at Frank Beamer when V Tech destroys them next year? Or will he make it till Gary Pinkel puts 50 on them?
I like Cotton but he is the most suspect hire of the bunch.... but I still view hm as a OC, which he is not on this staff.... as OL and a return to some smash mouth I am less concerned, but is he Bo's ace in the hole if Watson is first to go after a transition period??.... that concerns me.

anyways, overall I am trying not to pass judgment yet. These are good men, they come from the old way of doing things but they are all bright enough to learn or already know other systems and new techniques.

We have returned to a Nebraska flavor no doubt but the world is different now, how strong and how far back are they expecting to go is an "x" factor. TO did revamp his O and his D during his run, if that hindsight provides a lesson as to what needs to happen now will ultimately determine the success this staff will have IMO. How disconnected is TO going to be will unfold over the next couple YEARS.... If he is truly a sounding board and a gentle nudge or is he sending them down a path he is choosing? Obviously I am hoping for the best but I don't blame anybody for being skeptical.

Last edited:
Re: What a mistake this is

Hawk was hired before his Boise St. team's bowl and coached them in the bowl game. They lost to BC 27-21 on their home field.

So while it is not unprecidented for a coach to finish out a season with his current team before heading to his new team, it certainly didn't help the Broncos win.

Back