What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre (Edit: LEAVING FOR NBA)

If he comes back, he may not improve enough to be a first rounder, but at least he could get off the bubble, like he is now. If he was a solid high 2nd rounder, that's guaranteed money. If he worked on his shot, I see him as another Robert Horry-type. Serviceable, long-time pro.

But my prediction: he declares and goes undrafted.

Really thinking more of the injury factor. But i agree that getting a degree and helping CU win the P-12 are worthy accomplishments. Personally, i would love to see him play one more year and graduate.
I mean sure that's always there, get an insurance policy. It's not like he's some coveted lottery pick, where were talking about potentially millions down the drain.

Sounds like Tad believes he should stay, but dre and his family are leaning towards the NBA route. This is a tough decision and if I was in Andre's shoes I dont even know what I would do.

Tad's watched Burks learn nothing from the end of an NBA bench, while earning just enought to buy a decent house in a good city. Burks would have improved significantly with just one more year's time to mature and some hard work on fundementals, which he would have under Tad.

Its the difference between a couple million (half of which goes to Uncle Sugar) over a couple of years and a multi-million, mulit-year career.........haste makes waste.

Tad gets it. Dre and family ??? We'll see.

I just heard coach Boyle on Charles Johnson/Nate Kreckman's show. He said that if forced to predict, his gut feeling is that Andre will be back.

He also spoke very highly of his redshirts. Says they will have a positive impact immediately.

As I recall, a player can insure against the injury factor. He can't insure against an NBA cut of a two-tool 2nd rounder or a UDFA, leading to bus rides out of Bakersfield or Canton, OH for $24K a year!

Andre needs a year to muscle up and work on his handles and his "O"; unless he really want to ride buses next year.
Matt Barkley wishes there was that kind of insurance

I just heard coach Boyle on Charles Johnson/Nate Kreckman's show. He said that if forced to predict, his gut feeling is that Andre will be back.

He also spoke very highly of his redshirts. Says they will have a positive impact immediately.
Wonder how much of that is just him hoping he'll be back.

Tad's watched Burks learn nothing from the end of an NBA bench, while earning just enought to buy a decent house in a good city. Burks would have improved significantly with just one more year's time to mature and some hard work on fundementals, which he would have under Tad.

Its the difference between a couple million (half of which goes to Uncle Sugar) over a couple of years and a multi-million, mulit-year career.........haste makes waste.

Not necessarily, plenty of players have seen their stock decline. The NBA after all values potential versus production and the longer you stay, the more exposed you can become(two way street here), and that's before injuries If you have the chance to become instantly rich it's hard to turn it down. Sometimes you only get ONE contract. It's way different when you are talking about lottery pick versus someone who might not even get drafted.

Not necessarily, plenty of players have seen their stock decline. The NBA after all values potential versus production and the longer you stay, the more exposed you can become(two way street here), and that's before injuries If you have the chance to become instantly rich it's hard to turn it down. Sometimes you only get ONE contract. It's way different when you are talking about lottery pick versus someone who might not even get drafted.

I think in Dre's case they may be seeing limited potential and he'd be well-served to prove them wrong.

Andre

Yeah I'm sure Burks is really hurting with his 3 yr $6.33m contract...

Nevermind the fact that Burks was a sure lottery pick, and had potential to go in the top 10(believe he went 12th). He was a guaranteed millionaire after his soph season. Just ask Richard Roby about potential vs. production.

Tad said today that he completely understood and supported Alec's decision to enter the draft. Said that anytime a player is expected to go in the first round, they should. Alec and Andre's situations seem to be completely different.

I just don't want Andre to get bad information and have the impression that he will be a first round draft pick, when that is almost certainly not the case. If he enters the draft under the impression that he can be a mid 2nd round pick and he's okay with that, then at least he's informed about it.

I can't help but think that delaying the decision this long just makes it more and more likely he's coming back. May as well have another fun year as a key piece of a competitive basketball team than take huge risks on your future and potentially never be a significant contributor in the sport you love again (if he just doesn't pan out in the NBA.) I guess he could be a decent player in Europe...

I can't help but think that delaying the decision this long just makes it more and more likely he's coming back. May as well have another fun year as a key piece of a competitive basketball team than take huge risks on your future and potentially never be a significant contributor in the sport you love again (if he just doesn't pan out in the NBA.) I guess he could be a decent player in Europe...
I agree here. I think he's trying to find a reason he shouldn't comeback. Other than the injury risk, he's going to be playing basketball after next year if he wants to. So I look at coming back more as a win-win, than a lose-lose. He gets his degree, can hopefully improve his game, worse case scenario he ends up in Europe. As opposed to, not getting his degree and not getting drafted.

Yes, so half goes to Uncle and as of right now, who's going to re-sign Alec to anything near a LT deal as a 11th-12th man @ 7 mins. per game? That decent first contract could be his only one.

Yes, so half goes to Uncle and as of right now, who's going to re-sign Alec to anything near a LT deal as a 11th-12th man @ 7 mins. per game? That decent first contract could be his only one.

Chill out Burks is only 21 years old. His 7ppg isn't great but teams will take a chance on him

yeah that sucks. He only brings home $1 per year to do something he would have been doing for free at CU.

Point?

Question for you: Is Burks as good at 21, with as much potential, as Chauncey was at 21?

It took Chauncey several years and several teams before his career finally started to go somewhere. Wasn't till he played for Minnesota(I believe his 5th team) that he started to show some promise. Burks was a sure lottery pick who received some decent playing time his rookie season while he was making a couple mill a year. He might have been a mid-late first rounder after his freshman season. He made the right choice.

We need to stop comparing Dre and Burks, there are only minimal at best similarities.

Burks was drafted in the top 3rd of the first round his ability to earn any more money based on the slotting the NBA does is almost nil for his rookie contract, in all likelihood he may have actually dropped a couple slots in what was a stronger draft the ensuing year. From a pure financial sense Burks made the right move, guaranteed money in hand today is worth far more than the potential to earn a hair more next time through. Learning and production really has nothing to do with your first couple of years on an NBA guaranteed contract.

Now Dre on the other hand is a very different example, he's almost assuredly looking at non-guaranteed money this year, there is a slim chance he could flip a switch and move into guaranteed money land next year. It is however more likely that he's a UDFA or late second rounder either year, so then the question becomes whether or not to mature in college, the d-league, or Europe. Not sit on the end of a bench like Burks banking millions.

Back