What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez (9-14 edition)

That’s just not true. Good QBs rely upon recognizing coverages, making adjustments and processing that information quickly to make a good decision with the ball. Those things are more likely to happen when you are smart. If you don’t agree with that, well then maybe you are “slow to process information.”

Nobody is calling Montez stupid, it seems like they are saying he is a classic “Looks great in gym shorts, not so much in live action all the time.”
You weren't an athlete were you? A whole lot of sport ability is stuff you either have or you don't. I think the general lack of intelligence of many high level athletes should make this an open and shut case, but apparently it doesn't.

You weren't an athlete were you? A whole lot of sport ability is stuff you either have or you don't. I think the general lack of intelligence of many high level athletes should make this an open and shut case, but apparently it doesn't.
Based off that I can tell you didn’t play sports and you actually proved my point. Sports ability comes from combing athletic ability with intelligence. Let’s look at Jamarcus Russell. Incredible athlete, had the stuff as you put it, but was unable to learn a playbook, thus he sucked.

Sports is more then just natural talent as your dumbass literally just watched today. Montez has all the tools, but his football IQ isn’t there yet.

Your argument sucks, everyone on here has disagreed with it. It’s contradictory as well. Drink a water and go to bed.

Based off that I can tell you didn’t play sports and you actually proved my point. Sports ability comes from combing athletic ability with intelligence. Let’s look at Jamarcus Russell. Incredible athlete, had the stuff as you put it, but was unable to learn a playbook, thus he sucked.

Sports is more then just natural talent as your dumbass literally just watched today. Montez has all the tools, but his football IQ isn’t there yet.

Your argument sucks, everyone on here has disagreed with it. It’s contradictory as well. Drink a water and go to bed.
@Medford M. right about now? Amirite?

When was the last time Montez stood tall in the pocket, stepped up, delivered a ball in stride and took a bit hit?

This thread looks fun. I can’t question Montez’s intelligence but there’s something going on in his head that doesn’t allow him to function under pressure. He’s got a great arm but he’s broken after years of being eaten alive behind an awful O-line. Or he just doesn’t have “it” and that’s just life, 99% of QBs don’t. There’s a reason a guy like Peyton Manning is a sure fire, first ballot HOF QB...the things he did on the field mentally and physically are mostly unrivaled. Even with a noodle for an arm he found a way to continue to destroy the league in his last few years and be good enough to win a Super Bowl.

If there was ANY hype about our back up QBs I might feel differently but yeah we don't seem to have much behind Montez at all. We gotta try to get the best from him all year

The intelligence argument is hard to follow as everyone seems is writing novels and not saying much.

If book smarts = intelligence then a great QB is not required to be intelligent. If the ability to process large amounts of information while in a highly stressful situation = intelligence then all great QB’s must be intelligent.

Someone wrote that Jamarcus Russell sucked. No, no he did not at LSU.

Terry Bradshaw is a fantastic example of an unintelligent, low intellect, man that was a highly successful QB at the highest level.

I was at the game today. It is apparent that Montez no longer keeps his eyes downfield when he gets pressure up the middle. It probably comes from years of running for his life behind CUs O lines over the years. The guy is gun shy, and this year’s O line isn’t really providing him with the type of pocket he needs to be effective. It is what it is.
Either that (and benefit of the doubt, maybe it is, heck he has had basically no OLine the past 4 years), or he thinks he’s hot **** NFL draft stock and doesn’t want to get hurt.

Montez is who he has always been. He has a strong arm but is inconsistent in his mechanics. He has never been able to make his reads very well, relying on his arm at times instead of moving through his progressions. He tends to read a small portion of the field instead of opening up his options. I think he has so much arm talent that he has not focused on some other parts of his game as much as he should (Mechanics and reads). He can be deadly at times with a clean pocket.

This team has not come out yet and played good for 4 quarters and that is not all Montez - it is a carry over from before and it will take time for Tucker to correct it.

So, Montez sucks ass at thinking, progressions and running the offense, so he pre-picks where he's throwing the ball pre-snap and goes with it.

sounds like an nfl prospect, 5th yr senior, 3rd year P5 starting QB to me.
Problem is that these tendencies aren't restricted to draft sites. The opposing coaches know this too, making it easy to give him a pre-snap read and take it away after the snap.

Perhaps that is the coaching method for Montez. Have him pick a primary and secondary pre-snap... his secondary becomes his first read.

"If he knows that I know that I know that he knows, then..." :ROFLMAO:

Montez is who he has always been. He has a strong arm but is inconsistent in his mechanics. He has never been able to make his reads very well, relying on his arm at times instead of moving through his progressions. He tends to read a small portion of the field instead of opening up his options. I think he has so much arm talent that he has not focused on some other parts of his game as much as he should (Mechanics and reads). He can be deadly at times with a clean pocket.

This team has not come out yet and played good for 4 quarters and that is not all Montez - it is a carry over from before and it will take time for Tucker to correct it.
Montez has never seen a clean pocket he liked

Problem is that these tendencies aren't restricted to draft sites. The opposing coaches know this too, making it easy to give him a pre-snap read and take it away after the snap.

Perhaps that is the coaching method for Montez. Have him pick a primary and secondary pre-snap... his secondary becomes his first read.

"If he knows that I know that I know that he knows, then..." :ROFLMAO:

CAL last year killed him on this exact concept!

Rewatched the AFA game for this exact reason and there is no doubt he pre-picks, and then depending on how open his 1 guy is he seems to air mail a guy if there is any type of coverage. He threw to Viska in quadruple coverage! Probably still smart, but come on someone else has little to no coverage.

You're still not getting it, man. I've made a very clear argument in here, and it's going completely over your head. I think you're being stubborn, and I don't know why. Being a smart football player and being smart are completely different things. That's what the point is. Also, if you read that scout critique, Montez does a ton of pre snap reads. He's actually pretty good at pre snap adjustments in fact. Stop ignoring the fact that going from receiver to receiver in real time with people bearing down on you is a skill, and it's something that has nothing to do with someone's intelligence level. Football smarts and actual meaningful intelligence is the debate being had here. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL SMARTS. I'm having this continued, stupid debate because I inferred that you were calling Montez dumb. Just in general, dumb.
The pot calls the kettle black so...

He cannot process the game as a drop back qb when there is any pressure. He has regressed over the years..still throws off back foot. His play in the spring game was ridiculous....He is who he is..great with no pressure.. Stenstrom is an engineering major....good athlete....he leap frogged Noyer and is co backup....I still think he is the only one that can truly process coveragw..blitz..etc. and exploit it. Just one mans useless opinion.

we are not benching montez unless he stops giving us the best chance to get to a bowl game or that stops mattering. But it is unfortunate the prior staff put us in the situation of having no idea what is behind him.

I don't think Montez lost the game. Certainly, he did not have his best game. However, he was a pinball in a pinball machine in the 2nd quarter. I was not at the game, but watched it. The halftime commentator summed it up "pressure if coming from places that it should never come from," meaning the Oline was just bungled. Perhaps, some could be his pre-snap calls. Overall, the 2nd quarter was one of the ugliest quarters in a long time. Much of that was on the Oline and AFA's defense out scheming the offense at that point in the game. AFA's defense played a great game. They were physical, disciplined and well scouted/coached. They took advantage of the extra week, but that is not an excuse. I do think Montez got dinged (head, chest, arm--whatever) in the 2nd quarter. Certainly, he was out of sorts for the remainder of the 2nd quarter and 3rd quarter. There were also a few dropped passes, or passes where the reciever could have made the catch, but did not. On many series, he was not going through progressions. Despite not playing great in the 4th quarter, he did enough to put the Buffs in a position to win the game. Really, that is what you need a college QB to do, unless they are a truly elite QB.

Calling to bench Montez after this game is way too early. A college FB player should not have to read such stuff, as he is a scholar athlete. The discussions about his pro prospects are valid, but probably better later in the year. Discussions about his intelligence serve no purpose. Discussing benching him has no purpose, unless the coaching staff really thinks the #2 is a huge upgrade. The performance of CU's offense is not based on Montez's skills, rather it is running, pass-protecting and scheming. All three of these fell short, so putting it on the QB alone is not fair.

Then there is the fact that the defense game up 290 yards before halftime. That did not help. With the defense being exploited, there were not possessions where CU could settle things down with a bunch of runs. They tried, but the Oline was not doing much in that regard. It was not like AFA was stacking the box to stop the run, daring Montez to beat them. AFA was using line stunts and a few blitzers, but the Oline, TE's & backs could not even pick those up. I find it sort of amusing that so much of the talk is about going through progressions, however if the line is not doing it's job with 4-5 pass rushers there is no time for the advanced progressions anyways.

You just learn from it and move on. Thanks, gus

I don't think Montez lost the game. Certainly, he did not have his best game. However, he was a pinball in a pinball machine in the 2nd quarter. I was not at the game, but watched it. The halftime commentator summed it up "pressure if coming from places that it should never come from," meaning the Oline was just bungled. Perhaps, some could be his pre-snap calls. Overall, the 2nd quarter was one of the ugliest quarters in a long time. Much of that was on the Oline and AFA's defense out scheming the offense at that point in the game. AFA's defense played a great game. They were physical, disciplined and well scouted/coached. They took advantage of the extra week, but that is not an excuse. I do think Montez got dinged (head, chest, arm--whatever) in the 2nd quarter. Certainly, he was out of sorts for the remainder of the 2nd quarter and 3rd quarter. There were also a few dropped passes, or passes where the reciever could have made the catch, but did not. On many series, he was not going through progressions. Despite not playing great in the 4th quarter, he did enough to put the Buffs in a position to win the game. Really, that is what you need a college QB to do, unless they are a truly elite QB.

Calling to bench Montez after this game is way too early. A college FB player should not have to read such stuff, as he is a scholar athlete. The discussions about his pro prospects are valid, but probably better later in the year. Discussions about his intelligence serve no purpose. Discussing benching him has no purpose, unless the coaching staff really thinks the #2 is a huge upgrade. The performance of CU's offense is not based on Montez's skills, rather it is running, pass-protecting and scheming. All three of these fell short, so putting it on the QB alone is not fair.

Then there is the fact that the defense game up 290 yards before halftime. That did not help. With the defense being exploited, there were not possessions where CU could settle things down with a bunch of runs. They tried, but the Oline was not doing much in that regard. It was not like AFA was stacking the box to stop the run, daring Montez to beat them. AFA was using line stunts and a few blitzers, but the Oline, TE's & backs could not even pick those up. I find it sort of amusing that so much of the talk is about going through progressions, however if the line is not doing it's job with 4-5 pass rushers there is no time for the advanced progressions anyways.

You just learn from it and move on. Thanks, gus

Not seeing the same thing as you did!

Rewatched it and I have been pro-Montez for years. The pressure was not that bad. He got sacked twice legitimately, couple times he just happy feeted it out of the pocket.
Yes he is a student-athlete and he has been a good player for the most part, but this was a game he needed to show up for and he did not. Brady Russell had his worst game as well at the wrong time. The whole team looks tired, not out of shape, just tired legs from overuse. Need to sub more even if you struggle with trusting depth. Akil Jones can play, Rakestraw can play, Arias can play, trust others. When Montez got hit maybe a series with Lytle was worth a look?

My worry is that the AFA DB’s will likely be the shortest and slowest we face and he was not accurate or sharp!

Hoping as a fan to be wrong, but need Good Montez or else!

I think the biggest killer for the offense and Montez yesterday was the number of self-inflicted errors that put them behind schedule and made them one dimensional. With the holding penalty, all the false starts and the couple bad snaps it was really hard for Johnson to call the number of run plays he needed to.

I'm not going to say that Montez lost that game. The problems that set the stage for trouble weren't initiated by him. But what I will say is that he didn't take control, rally his guys, get them focused or make the big momentum plays that were there for him and within his abilities. So while I won't say that he lost that game, I will say that he didn't do what was needed to win it -- and that doesn't meet my expectations for a 5th year senior QB with 30 D1 starts.

I think the biggest killer for the offense and Montez yesterday was the number of self-inflicted errors that put them behind schedule and made them one dimensional. With the holding penalty, all the false starts and the couple bad snaps it was really hard for Johnson to call the number of run plays he needed to.

I'm not going to say that Montez lost that game. The problems that set the stage for trouble weren't initiated by him. But what I will say is that he didn't take control, rally his guys, get them focused or make the big momentum plays that were there for him and within his abilities. So while I won't say that he lost that game, I will say that he didn't do what was needed to win it -- and that doesn't meet my expectations for a 5th year senior QB with 30 D1 starts.

Well said

I do not see as many complete nothing throw away, overthrown, or off target throws in any other college game I watch.

Seems like we could have had a nice balance of Runs and Short Passes all day long and shredded them. Dual Threat QB play with where we are headed is so needed. Watch a couple RPO decision Montez made that were the opposite decisions. He got hit on his own decision on one RPO as his line pulled left and the RB had a lot of running room.

Johnson needs that execution to happen effectively!

We need to start "Bench the Defense", "Bench the PAT unit", and "Bench the Oline" threads to accompany this one. Montez is far from the main reason for this loss. And we know far less about how the backups for Montez may perform versus the backups for all of the other positions.

I don't get why people are calling him dumb or a pussy, he's not. I don't know about his booksmarts, but you aren't a stupid human being because you can't read a defense. Peyton Manning probably isn't splitting the atom anytime soon, but the dude lived football. And the pussy argument is super weak, he has taken massive hits and we've seen him get up in obvious pain and continue playing. He might not be Sefo, but he's a tough guy.

That said, he's shook. There was a play towards the end of the game, ILB or S delayed blitz type deal, guy was coming hard and fast and the RB stepped up to block him, it was an obvious high energy collision, but several yards in front of Montez. Montez saw it and reacted by taking several steps backwards. That is not the play of someone feeling the game and the pressure around him. When he plays like that his mechanics go to **** because he's just trying to get rid of the ball ASAP and accuracy dwindles and timing goes to ****.

Back