What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn extended

You do realize I haven't argued with you in this thread right? And that I was against the Bohn extension? :doh: And yes, you were trolling with that nonsense. As you just admitted.
You never said anything in the thread that I remembered. You just showed up and said I was trolling. I disagree. I honestly think Bohn should be replaced.

You never said anything in the thread that I remembered. You just showed up and said I was trolling. I disagree. I honestly think Bohn should be replaced.

Dude. You admitted you were trolling for reactions. I was enjoying the debate, and then you started trolling. So I said, "Valdez is trolling." Then you admitted you did it. Not sure why you are so uptight about being called on it. If you didn't want to be called out on it, you shouldn't have done it. This is just the internet, its not worth being crazy.

Oh, and if you will look at the first page of the thread, you will see that I said my two cents pretty early, and that I don't really have a dog in this fight. So keep being crazy man.

Dude. You admitted you were trolling for reactions. I was enjoying the debate, and then you started trolling. So I said, "Valdez is trolling." Then you admitted you did it. Not sure why you are so uptight about being called on it. If you didn't want to be called out on it, you shouldn't have done it. This is just the internet, its not worth being crazy.

Oh, and if you will look at the first page of the thread, you will see that I said my two cents pretty early, and that I don't really have a dog in this fight. So keep being crazy man.

I guess I missed that.

Trolling imo is something different. That's not even caring about what the debate is about. That's just going opposite what everyone says for a reaction. I know my opinion isn't popular, but I don't think that's trolling.

I guess I missed that.

Trolling imo is something different. That's not even caring about what the debate is about. That's just going opposite what everyone says for a reaction. I know my opinion isn't popular, but I don't think that's trolling.

Ummm. Well, you are welcome to your very own specific definition of the word. It is gonna make communication difficult if you spread that practice around though :lol:

Ummm. Well, you are welcome to your very own specific definition of the word. It is gonna make communication difficult if you spread that practice around though :lol:
I'm here because I love the Buffs. Just like everyone else here. So when you say I'm trolling kind of means I don't care about CU and that I'm just trying to piss people off.

You seem to get very irritated whenever I say something you disagree with. You almost seem to make things personal. At least that's how it comes off to me. I see you do this with TBD and Rino in the politics threads. You seem to get a kick out of it. I'm not saying I'm completely innocent, but it's kind of like a pot calling the kettle black imo. You've had quiet a bit of battles on Allbuffs as well.

Anyway back to the topic. I still feel MB should go.

Last edited:
The arguments against Bohn seem to be along the lines of "we can do better". Number one, what in the world gives you that idea? Number two, who, given the same set of circumstances, would have done a better job? Nobody has given a straight answer to either of those questions. Lots of dancing around the issue, but no actual alternatives. You want Bohn gone? Fine. Tell me who you want and why he/she would be better. If you can't answer those two questions, then the debate is immaterial.

And to whoever said that "Six years is flipping a switch": well, obviously not - as evidenced by what has been accomplished thus far. But I can tell you this from experience - raising money isn't a one-time deal. It's about cultivating donors over extended periods of time and fostering that relationship. Fire Bohn now and all that he has done is gone - poof. A ridiculously stupid idea, which is why he's been granted an extension by the University.

The arguments against Bohn seem to be along the lines of "we can do better". Number one, what in the world gives you that idea? Number two, who, given the same set of circumstances, would have done a better job? Nobody has given a straight answer to either of those questions. Lots of dancing around the issue, but no actual alternatives. You want Bohn gone? Fine. Tell me who you want and why he/she would be better. If you can't answer those two questions, then the debate is immaterial.

It really boggles me that nobody thinks there are any candidates out there who could do a better job. The AD's of the world aren't really public figures. How many AD's can you name? Not much I'd think, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any better options out there.

You said fundraising isn't like flipping a switch and I agree, but while MB is heading into his seventh year at CU, I'd like to see some significant results coming from that area. I don't think it's too much to ask for a indoor practice facility for football. ISU is on track for there second one now. I do think we have more resources than ISU.

You also try to reduce my argument down to "we can do better". I think you haven't read the whole thread. I think Bohn has lost credibility to call the shots within the AD because of him getting PUBLICLY overruled on the Hawkins decision. That kind of hurts a guy who is supposed to be in charge. I also think he's been a trainwreck when it comes to hiring coaches. Not just here but everywhere else he's been. I also think his scheduling has been suspect, But that's not a huge issue. OH yeah, did I mention we have the worst facilities in the conference?

All I hear from you guys seems to be, CU cannot do any better than MB. So we should be happy with him.

It's a opinion people. You can all keep on taking personal shots like Abs did, but that's not going to check my feelings about this.

Last edited:
It really boggles me that nobody thinks there are any candidates out there who could do a better job. The AD's of the world aren't really public figures. How many AD's can you name? Not much I'd think, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any better options out there.

Who? You say you can't name a name yet you're sure there's somebody better? Who? Dodds? Castiglione? Haden? Those would have to be considered three of the best ADs around. Do you honestly think they'd be better here than Bohn is?

Forget ISU. That's a straw man. It's irrelevant. What's important is what is going on HERE. Who is best for THIS job. Unless you think the ISU AD would be better than Bohn, bringing up what they're doing is irrelevant to the discussion.

So I'll ask again - who would be better and why?

Who? You say you can't name a name yet you're sure there's somebody better? Who? Dodds? Castiglione? Haden? Those would have to be considered three of the best ADs around. Do you honestly think they'd be better here than Bohn is?

Forget ISU. That's a straw man. It's irrelevant. What's important is what is going on HERE. Who is best for THIS job. Unless you think the ISU AD would be better than Bohn, bringing up what they're doing is irrelevant to the discussion.

So I'll ask again - who would be better and why?

I don't think we have to pry an existing BCS AD out of a job, I do know that we could probably snatch a young energetic guy who is known among the college athletic circles right now.

You're trying to say my point is wrong based on the fact that I can't name a up and coming Associate AD?

What do you guys prefer in an AD?

Do you like the model of a successful coach moving into the job (Alvarez, Osborne, etc.) or do you think that an athletic department is better served by someone who has studied and trained in the field like Bohn? Or maybe someone who is more of a businessperson who comes from the private sector with management, marketing and budgeting experience?

I also don't think the ISU example is so far fetched. They make considerably less than CU does, yet they can somehow raise the cash for not one, but two facilities? I never once said the ISU AD is a better option, but he does seem to be able to secure the funds at a school we should be blowing out of the water facility wise.

I also don't think the ISU example is so far fetched. They make considerably less than CU does, yet they can somehow raise the cash for not one, but two facilities? I never once said the ISU AD is a better option, but he does seem to be able to secure the funds at a school we should be blowing out of the water facility wise.

Is ISU's AD operating in the black? Is their football (or basketball) program winning? Are they on TV regularly? Are they going to be making $21M a year from their conference? Was their marquee program involved in a messy sex/recruiting scandal? Are they relevant in any way?

I'm pretty sure you're not arguing that Bohn should be replaced solely on the basis that he hasn't delivered an indoor practice facility, but the ISU analogy is pretty poor. Is ISU's AD doing a better job there than Bohn has done here?? Doesn't CSU have a new indoor practice facility?

Is ISU's AD operating in the black? Is their football (or basketball) program winning? Are they on TV regularly? Are they going to be making $21M a year from their conference? Was their marquee program involved in a messy sex/recruiting scandal? Are they relevant in any way?

I'm pretty sure you're not arguing that Bohn should be replaced solely on the basis that he hasn't delivered an indoor practice facility, but the ISU analogy is pretty poor. Is ISU's AD doing a better job there than Bohn has done here?? Doesn't CSU have a new indoor practice facility?

ISU does not have anywhere near the resources or athletic programs that we have, yet they seem to have superior facilities. They aren't relavant in any way on the national scope like CU is, yet they seem to be running things a bit better than we have here. True, we are going to be earning 20M a year but that's thanks to Larry Scott's vision. I don't think MB has done anything to warrant an extension. The "scandal" certainly set CU back, but when are we going to move on? It's been almost a decade since then.

Who was the commissioner before Larry Scott got to the Pac10? I'm sure there were people saying the same thing CU fans are saying. We'll never compete with the schools out east, We should be happy with what we've got in Tom Hansen (the former commish). Who knew that the next leader would come from the world of Womens tennis. Tell me one person who saw that one coming. :lol:

Last edited:
Apparently Kyle Ringo reads AllBuffs. :lol:

RINGO: Budget woes not over for Buffaloes

Some quotes from who else? DiStephano
"I want to make sure people realize that the increase in funding (from the Pac-12) will certainly help with the operations, but we have a major challenge with our scholarships because we have so many out-of-state student-athletes," DiStefano said. "I think a major priority for us in fundraising is scholarships. Our operations money that we`re getting from media really won`t help that very much."
That means more debt. It means things are going to get a little worse before they get better. It means CU actually needs its donors this year more than ever. DiStefano recognizes not every fan has the money to sponsor a scholarship or make four, five and six-digit contributions to athletics.

ISU does not have anywhere near the resources or athletic programs that we have, yet they seem to have superior facilities. They aren't relavant in any way on the national scope like CU is, yet they seem to be running things a bit better than we have here. True, we are going to be earning 20M a year but that's thanks to Larry Scott's vision. I don't think MB has done anything to warrant an extension. The "scandal" certainly set CU back, but when are we going to move on? It's been almost a decade since then.

Who was the commissioner before Larry Scott got to the Pac10? I'm sure there were people saying the same thing CU fans are saying. We'll never compete with the schools out east, We should be happy with what we've got in Tom Hansen (the former commish). Who knew that the next leader would come from the world of Womens tennis.

I hear what you're saying, but having specific facilities is not necessarily the telling sign of a solid AD. Cal is basically rebuilding its football stadium, but has been "borrowing" $8M+ every year from the University to stay afloat which nearly cost them a CWS caliber baseball program, and the most dominant rugby program in the country.

Obviously this is just one example, but my point is that every AD has to make choices on how to utilize its resources - CU decided to prioritize an basketball/volleyball practice facility, locker rooms, coaches offices, and running a balanced budget. Maybe we could have scrapped those improvements, and borrowed huge amounts of money from CU every year to get a football facility, but we didn't.

Solid point. I guess I was probably giving Bohn too hard a time over the football facility. I'm just losing my patience with CU.

Like I've said before, this is a great time to start hitting up donors. I'm not talking 6 to 7 figure donations here.

I'm here because I love the Buffs. Just like everyone else here. So when you say I'm trolling kind of means I don't care about CU and that I'm just trying to piss people off.

You seem to get very irritated whenever I say something you disagree with. You almost seem to make things personal. At least that's how it comes off to me. I see you do this with TBD and Rino in the politics threads. You seem to get a kick out of it. I'm not saying I'm completely innocent, but it's kind of like a pot calling the kettle black imo. You've had quiet a bit of battles on Allbuffs as well.

Anyway back to the topic. I still feel MB should go.

You seem to have a very serious desire to make this about something more than it is, into some big sort of dramatic fight. Sorry, its not. You were trolling, and I called you on it. Thats all. I had no personal motivation for doing it based on your viewpoint. Hell, your viewpoint wasn't even being expressed while you were trolling. However, you are welcome to continue being a drama queen. The internet is, after all, as you like to say, very serious business.

Last edited:
So wait... Valdez would have us replace Mike Bohn, a Boulder native and the guy largely responsible for leading us into the Pac 12 (and putting us in the South division, let's not forget), with a faceless, nameless associate AD at some school that we as of yet do not know. All this because ISU has an indoor football practice facility and we only have a bubble.

That's a really well thought out strategy.

So wait... Valdez would have us replace Mike Bohn, a Boulder native and the guy largely responsible for leading us into the Pac 12 (and putting us in the South division, let's not forget), with a faceless, nameless associate AD at some school that we as of yet do not know. All this because ISU has an indoor football practice facility and we only have a bubble.

:lol:How could we possibly go wrong?!:lol:

You seem to have a very serious desire to make this about something more than it is, into some big sort of dramatic fight. Sorry, its not. You were trolling, and I called you on it. Thats all. I had no personal motivation for doing it based on your viewpoint. Hell, your viewpoint wasn't even being expressed while you were trolling. However, you are welcome to continue being a drama queen. The internet is, after all, as you like to say, very serious business.
Lordy, I'll never roam again! :lol:
images

Last edited:
That's one depressing read. You're correct though. I'm slowly starting to realize this. :smile2:

I liked this quote:
"DiStefano said he and athletic director Mike Bohn haven`t discussed how they will budget the boost in conference distributions when they begin in two years. He said they will meet later this summer and this fall to begin forming a list of priorities."

Shouldn't they already know their priorities? I can see updating them periodically, but that should also have been already addressed in the last year, based on increasing revenue. Again, knowing the deal Scott got might add or rearrange it, but to "begin forming" such a list "later this summer" doesn't fill me with confidence re: their management abilities. Hopefully, DiStefano misspoke.

I liked this quote:
"DiStefano said he and athletic director Mike Bohn haven`t discussed how they will budget the boost in conference distributions when they begin in two years. He said they will meet later this summer and this fall to begin forming a list of priorities."

Shouldn't they already know their priorities? I can see updating them periodically, but that should also have been already addressed in the last year, based on increasing revenue. Again, knowing the deal Scott got might add or rearrange it, but to "begin forming" such a list "later this summer" doesn't fill me with confidence re: their management abilities. Hopefully, DiStefano misspoke.

Really? You expect them to have a list of priorities in place before they know how much money they'll be getting in? Really? You don't think that having the discussion in the Summer, when you know, school is out, is a good idea? That maybe they have other priorities during the school year other than formalizing a list of priorities for what they're going to do with money that they won't be getting for another two years? REALLY?

This discussion is giving me a headache.

Really? You expect them to have a list of priorities in place before they know how much money they'll be getting in? Really? You don't think that having the discussion in the Summer, when you know, school is out, is a good idea? That maybe they have other priorities during the school year other than formalizing a list of priorities for what they're going to do with money that they won't be getting for another two years? REALLY?

We list our priorities in the Navy well before the money becomes (or doesn't) available.

Bankers...sheesh!

I do expect them to have a list of priorities in place. Always. If you don't know where you're trying to go, how the hell are you supposed to have a plan for getting there? This interview with DiStefano disturbed me. It showed a lack of vision for the athletic department.

I do expect them to have a list of priorities in place. Always. If you don't know where you're trying to go, how the hell are you supposed to have a plan for getting there? This interview with DiStefano disturbed me. It showed a lack of vision for the athletic department.

They clearly have an idea of where they want to go. That's evidenced by the facilities timetable that has been published. This is much ado about nothing. Priorities and goals that have been in place for years have certainly been altered by the new financial deal. They have to figure out how the new money fits in with what they're trying to do. That makes sense to me.

They clearly have an idea of where they want to go. That's evidenced by the facilities timetable that has been published. This is much ado about nothing. Priorities and goals that have been in place for years have certainly been altered by the new financial deal. They have to figure out how the new money fits in with what they're trying to do. That makes sense to me.

I hope you're right and it was just a poorly worded statement by DiStefano.

1) As I've stated, I don't think Bohn should be released by any means, but I don't consider Bohn having LED us into the Pac 12. It was going to happen, and he just happened not to **** it up. You seem more connected to the program though than I am (from posts over the years), so perhaps I'm just wrong.

2) Snowbuff - man, you seem like you could be cool in real life, but let's face it...you calling Valdez as a drama queen is dumb...in internet world, you come off as rather smarmy at times.

3) :thumbsup:

2) Snowbuff - man, you seem like you could be cool in real life, but let's face it...you calling Valdez as a drama queen is dumb...in internet world, you come off as rather smarmy at times.

He's the same in the real world.

Back